Food you can get easy in your country and nowhere else - Gastric nationalism thread

Constellationzero

kiwifarms.net
Buckeye candies. Then again these are less an American thing and more of an Ohio thing.

View attachment 1432875
They're not my favorite, too many people make the peanut butter fudge balls too big, which fucks up the peanut butter to chocolate ratio. And too many professional chocolatiers just enrobe peanut butter and call it a buckeye, rather than peanut butter fudge. There's also a bar form I remember from elementary school lunches:

View attachment 1432883
Please enjoy Simply Sara buckeyes.

Ripe_tomato

kiwifarms.net
Pickled chicken feet. It might sound gross but definitely one of my favorite snacks when topped with picante and lime as well as pickled pork feet.

Detrogen

Senior Citizen Virgin
kiwifarms.net
Not exclusive to my state, but I believe exclusive to America, is the Checker’s/Rally’s franchise. One of my favorite fast food restaurants. It is exclusively a drive-in style restaurant. The food in general is excellent but they’re most well known for their seasoned french fries.

F562DAA8-D2C2-4D32-A57D-B6FC5431821C.jpeg

Jasonfan89

Aka horrorfan89
kiwifarms.net
Question for any Brit kiwis. How are heniz baked beans? The only beans by heniz I've ever seen for sale here in the US are vegetarian and the cans look like they've been on. the he shelf since the 80s

Buster O'Keefe

Enjoys offal
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Question for any Brit kiwis. How are heniz baked beans? The only beans by heniz I've ever seen for sale here in the US are vegetarian and the cans look like they've been on. the he shelf since the 80s
British baked beans are haricot beans cooked in a savory tomato sauce. I understand that American canned baked beans are cooked in a much sweeter sauce and usually contain pork, hence why the British style are marketed as vegetarian. They're absurdly popular here, with the most common serving style being 'beans on toast'. There is some controversy about their inclusion as part of a cooked breakfast: the degenerate English will serve beans with a 'full English breakfast', whereas a traditional Ulsterman would balk at their inclusion in his 'Ulster fry', probably on the grounds that they aren't fried in animal fat and are therefore some kind of suspicious 'health food'.
On a side note, this product actually exists and surprisingly is sold as people food, not dog food:
hunger_breaks_the_full_monty_395g.jpg

ricecake

Immunocompromised Cougar
kiwifarms.net
I found this out while talking to some non-US friends, so I don't know if it's true outside of their countries, but apparently graham crackers are pretty much nonexistent, having been an American creation.
A shame, as we were talking about the best kind of camping foods (s'mores, of course).
Yeah, they were invented by one of those anti-masturbation, sanitarium running health gurus, like cornflakes and Grape Nuts. I quite enjoy all the foods that came out of the 19th c. moral/bodily purity fad in America. Nice and bland.

Just wandering

kiwifarms.net
I tasted those(long story short I worked as the dishwasher in a chinese take out restaurent, after the dinner shift the chefs were cooking a meal for the staff, century egg were ocasionaly used: once in a omelet, two time in a soup)
Contrary to the look they don't have a fool taste, but they don't taste great either.. It extremly gelatinous like a gummy, the yolk have kinda a moldy texture, it still taste like an egg..

1597979163346.png

PS: if you didn't eat those you miss something

Plastic Inevitable

Varg burned churches, not forests.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
- Vla. You have Vanilla, Chocolate and Strawberry Vla. It's pretty much the milkshakes you can get here in the UK, but much thicker. Which made them much tastier.
There are nights where I dream of vanilla vla. I swear when I was in Holland all I ate was ontbijkoek, suikerbrod, vla, patat oorlog, rodekool met appeltjes, kroketen, and poffertjes. I did not partake in the Hollandse Nieuwe, despite being there during the season.
Funeral Potatoes. It's a casserole made out of hashbrowns, mashed potatoes, cheese, breadcrumbs, and crushed corn flakes. Delicious but they're really only known about in 3 or 4 states. Same goes for Fry Sauce.
Ahem. Hash browns, cream of something soup-preferably chicken but I like to mix it up with some cream of celery on occasion, sour cream, sharp cheddar, onion, and crushed potato chips (although corn flakes work in a pinch). If you use corn flakes, then they need a drizzle of butter.

Fry sauce is god.
American Heinz "vegetarian" beans are shit; they taste absolutely nothing like proper baked beans. Go to like Cost Plus or something and get the proper Beanz in the turquoise tin so you know the flavor profile you're after. And then try Van Camp's Pork and Beans. Seriously. They're a bit too sweet, but they're good in a pinch and once you've added the black pudding and the egg, it all balances itself out. I'm an American who has eaten numerous cans of Heinz Beanz (and other sorts, Tesco house brand for example) and I will stan Van Camp's Pork and Beans as the closest substitute an American can get without paying for import.

Reactions: Chive Turkey
Tags
None