Food you can get easy in your country and nowhere else - Gastric nationalism thread

stupidpieceofshit

Panzer Vor, Motherfuckers
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There's a global macaroni and cheese shortage.

They had to put restrictions and purchase limits on them. I dunno how it is in Europe but the US and Canada are having a hard time keeping the type with the cheese sauce in pouches stocked.

You can buy the powdered shit like the default Kraft Dinner, but that stuff is greatly inferior to the cheese pouch versions.
Just make your own mac and cheese, the pay off is worth it,
I did Babish's baked mac and cheese (the most labor intensive one I think) and although I fucked it up (sauce was way too thick) it was way better then any boxed stuff.

My home state Superman and Bluemoon Icecream.

Tour of Italy

New York spaghetti, never forghetti
kiwifarms.net
I risked food-borne illness every time I had street vendor food in Central America and I never once regretted it.

You learn quickly what health-related red flags to look out for, but even then it’s a roll of the dice; it’s just one I’d make again in a heartbeat.

Recipes don’t ever capture the same magic as food prepared by someone who has made that same dish 10 hours a day for 25 years.

That’s why there are no decent burgers outside of the US. Even excellent chefs can’t compete with a fry cook who has been shoveling grease into fat Americans since they could hold a spatula.

mindlessobserver

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I risked food-borne illness every time I had street vendor food in Central America and I never once regretted it.

You learn quickly what health-related red flags to look out for, but even then it’s a roll of the dice; it’s just one I’d make again in a heartbeat.

Recipes don’t ever capture the same magic as food prepared by someone who has made that same dish 10 hours a day for 25 years.

That’s why there are no decent burgers outside of the US. Even excellent chefs can’t compete with a fry cook who has been shoveling grease into fat Americans since they could hold a spatula.
Good rule of thumb for third world cooking. Only eat at places where you can see them doing the cooking. Never eat Fresh vegetables unless they are doused in some sort of Vinegar. Pickled vegetables be best. Pickled/fermented ideal. Never eat raw or undercooked meat, any food that is boiled, grilled or cooked on a hot griddle is okay, but never go for anything deep fried. You can never trust the grease they use. Follow these rules and you should be okay.

Dumb Bitch Smoothie

Any time now, faggots.
kiwifarms.net
Funeral Potatoes. It's a casserole made out of hashbrowns, mashed potatoes, cheese, breadcrumbs, and crushed corn flakes. Delicious but they're really only known about in 3 or 4 states. Same goes for Fry Sauce.
By you saying fry sauce, we are definitely in the same region. Fuckin Heinz thinking they're onto something with "Mayochup" and the rest of the abominations they put out.

Casseroles in general are popular here. Jello, specifically the bizarre colors and that Jello salad shit.

Also:
-Navajo tacos
-Specialty soda shops that basically function as breweries
-Decent shave ice
-Game meat (Bison and rattlesnake are popular)
-Arctic Circle/Iceberg

Titos

Can't stop. Won't stop. Please stop.
kiwifarms.net
By you saying fry sauce, we are definitely in the same region. Fuckin Heinz thinking they're onto something with "Mayochup" and the rest of the abominations they put out.

Casseroles in general are popular here. Jello, specifically the bizarre colors and that Jello salad shit.

Also:
-Navajo tacos
-Specialty soda shops that basically function as breweries
-Decent shave ice
-Game meat (Bison and rattlesnake are popular)
-Arctic Circle/Iceberg
Navajo tacos are some top tier shit. Never been to Arctic Circle but I love me some Apollo Burger.

Varis

Fascistnating
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Mämmi, or memma, is an Easter dessert made of rye flour and powdered malted rye. It looks atrocious and is definitely an acquired taste - one I never acquired.

mammituokkonen.jpg

Leipäjuusto, or squeaky cheese. Has a rubbery feel and mild taste.

IMG_5673 (2).JPG

Kalakukko, fish baked inside of a loaf of rye bread. Never tried it.

original.jpg

Our ice cream industry has been hard at work inventing new flavors, no doubt to compete with Ben & Jerry's. Some of them seem really fucking weird to me, like blue cheese and gingerbread or strawberry and basil. Plain gingerbread ice cream, though... I need to hoard that shit come Christmas.

Tour of Italy

New York spaghetti, never forghetti
kiwifarms.net
Navajo tacos are some top tier shit. Never been to Arctic Circle but I love me some Apollo Burger.
Arctic Circle somehow being an even worse version of Dairy Queen while simultaneously being a better meal.

neverendingmidi

it just goes on and on and on and on...
kiwifarms.net
Leipäjuusto, or squeaky cheese. Has a rubbery feel and mild taste.

I'm not sure this is exactly the same stuff, but I can get it in the states, sometimes. It comes and goes in the specialty cheese section, where they have the brie and such.

1599045591040.jpeg

Carr's Bread Cheese

It's bland as fuck if eaten cold, but tastes wonderful if sliced into pieces and grilled on two sides. On the website they say they were inspired by Finland's Juustoleipa.

Friendly_AI

kiwifarms.net
Just like their namesake, Nanaimo, these are a disgusting abomination best avoided.

Something that grows wild in Alberta and the other prairie provinces are Saskatoon berries.
View attachment 1557704
Similar to a blueberry but with their own subtle flavour. Very hard to find them in the store, although sometimes Saskatoon jams and jellies are available. One of the few things that make me miss the prairies.
Oh, that's what we call irga in Russia. Quite popular in Siberia. Juices and syrups are nice.

K. V. Bones

¿QUIRES?
kiwifarms.net
In my Region of the United States we have something called a Garbage Plate. Its literally a no fancy stuff type dish. You get it in a Styrofoam box with a plastic fork (trust me this is the best way to enjoy the dish.)

You get homefries or French fries with Mac Salad on the bottom layer then you get your meat (usually hamburgers or cheeseburgers with no bun, there's also chicken finger, fish, vegetable etc.) Then you get it topped with ALOT of Ketchup, Mustard and Sometimes meatsauce depending on where you get it. You also get a small slice of bread to eat before, so you don't bother your gut.

Where i come from, Which my city is the home of The Garbage Plate. You either like yourself a mean Garbage Plate or you're an outsider.

Tags
None