Food You're Not Really Sure Anyone Even Buys -

Heyyy Bubba

Nobody weird like me
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Store brought fruitcake no argument there. Homemade fruitcake from what İ seen isn't unpopular but since it depends entirely on the baker whether it is good or not it is the YMMV food item.
I fucking love fruitcake! The denser and stickier the better. I'd eat some right now.

Of course, I also like wormwood liquor (kask, malort) and chewing tobacco.

Dubu Kimchi

kiwifarms.net
download.jpg

This is the '참외' which is a kind of melon here in Korea (In English I've seen it called: yellow melon, Asian melon and Korean melon) and while its not a bad tasting, it is a fruit that I would never pay money for, and doesn't seem to be anyone's favorite fruit. But they're always in the stores.

• Informative
Reactions: Zamzz and L50LasPak

Dysnomia

Will turn tricks for treats ^_~
kiwifarms.net
I don't understand why people still get those godawful pink artificial sweetener packets. All artificial sweeteners pale in comparison to real sugar but at least most of them dont taste like and are a byproduct of a chemical experiment like the pink ones are.

I like the blue ones. Equal and its convenience store generics. The rest are trash. Especially the yellow stevia ones.

• Agree
Reactions: Polyboros2

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Epic has the right idea.
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1197920

This is the '참외' which is a kind of melon here in Korea (In English I've seen it called: yellow melon, Asian melon and Korean melon) and while its not a bad tasting, it is a fruit that I would never pay money for, and doesn't seem to be anyone's favorite fruit. But they're always in the stores.

What does it taste like? I've had some asian fruits that looks good but taste like back-of-the-fridge iceberg lettuce.

toilet_rainbow

like a floof bomb in your face
kiwifarms.net
I still can't get over all the people answering Spam. I don't buy it often, but it's a minor comfort food of mine. You just need to cook it right.

As stressful as it can get trying to find stuff during the shortages when you really need it (I was down to my last couple rolls of toilet paper right when it started getting scarce), it fascinates me seeing what shelves are being cleared. I don't live in a particularly liberal area but it's pretty amusing to see the Beyond Meat stuff forming ice crystals while all the real meat is gone as soon as it's put out. I've had the Beyond taco at Del Taco. While I didn't hate it, it wasn't something I'd buy regularly. (If you've had the red beans and rice at Popeyes, it tasted exactly like that, but in a tortilla.) My main Kroger has been trying to sell what appears to be the same stock for months.

Do people actually buy the frozen no name brand stuff at Dollar Tree? I mean besides reviewers doing it for YouTube bucks. I don't think I've ever seen the infamous $1 steaks or pork chops moved around in the freezer, and I go to Dollar Tree semi-regularly. There's also this pork jerky they sell that I've never seen someone so much as say they liked. (The Butterball turkey jerky, though? That shit's mine, fam... When I can find it, that is.)

Local Coyote

Hey man, got any cats?
kiwifarms.net
Spam goes great in a swiss mac and cheese recipe I got from a friend. And it's cheap.

Those jars of PB and J mixed together where the jelly is in those vertical stripes. I'm not a jelly fan but it looks terrible.

Zamzz

kewl cat
kiwifarms.net
Those weird canned foods like canned sausages, canned baked beans in tomato sauce, canned spaghetti (wtf?), canned vegetables (just buy them fresh and organic, it's way healthier) and I know you can get something called canned SPAM meat in america (just looking at that makes me shudder... disgusting). I swear it's only boomers that buy those canned foods, I've never seen any Gen X/Millennials/Gen Z buy them, I have no idea why though. Any explanation?

Pond Scum

Disgusting!
kiwifarms.net
Those weird canned foods like canned sausages, canned baked beans in tomato sauce, canned spaghetti (wtf?), canned vegetables (just buy them fresh and organic, it's way healthier) and I know you can get something called canned SPAM meat in america (just looking at that makes me shudder... disgusting). I swear it's only boomers that buy those canned foods, I've never seen any Gen X/Millennials/Gen Z buy them, I have no idea why though. Any explanation?
...They keep? Look at this guy with his working fridge.

DuckSucker

Beautiful AND cute
kiwifarms.net
These things. I used to get them packed in my lunch as a kid, and even as a kid I thought they tasted nasty. Like someone poured powdered chalk into Kool-Aid. Still see people buying them for their kids, and still see adults nostalgic over "how good they tasted"

Your taste buds must be shit then.

View attachment 1200642
Fuck, just looking at that image put that taste into my head. I didnt necessarily hate them because I only ever got them at summer camp or something, but they had such a fucking uniquely weird taste. Not really sugary sweet, more like somebody put sugar into cough syrup and then diluted it with Kool Aid.

Drastically inferior to those bottle-shaped ones with the twist off pull-cap with wings on it (and the ad where they would all jump out of the package and they had weird faces and were all assholes) that mom never let me have because we were kinda broke.

To be on topic: I never understood Corn Nuts, there was a girl at my high school who got some from the vending machine every day for lunch. I think Ive only tried them maybe a dozen times. It's like dehydrated hominy with flavoring, it's not the worst, but the flavorings were never that good. It was like that Lukas stuff they used to sell at gas stations next to 5 hour energy, except instead of putting it on popcorn or something, it was on dried hominy and the flavors didnt mesh.

Circus peanuts on the other hand, are only eaten by the most repugnant, scum sucking bottom feeder 'human' beings skittering out from their liminal spaces to provide a market for these disgusting things. Who fucking eats these.
I have a tolerance for a lot of shit but this one is one I can stand and fight for. Fuck circus peanuts. Im fine with candy corn which is basically just sugar and corn syrup and most people dont like it, but circus peanuts are literally Satan's little shit nuggets or something.

Last edited:

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Epic has the right idea.
kiwifarms.net
Those weird canned foods like canned sausages

Don't you disrespect Bullen's Pilsner Wiener Sausages.
bullens.jpg

Having some fast food working history the best (boiled and to be heated in water) hot dogs come from cans. Giant cans, not like the one above.

Canned spaghetti/pasta I agree with, that's just nasty. Even if it gets to a starvation point due to corona I feel like I would pass on the last cans of ravioli, I'm done with that, I'll eat weeds, roots and stray cats instead.

Zamzz

kewl cat
kiwifarms.net
Don't you disrespect Bullen's Pilsner Wiener Sausages.
View attachment 1201126

Having some fast food working history the best (boiled and to be heated in water) hot dogs come from cans. Giant cans, not like the one above.

Canned spaghetti/pasta I agree with, that's just nasty. Even if it gets to a starvation point due to corona I feel like I would pass on the last cans of ravioli, I'm done with that, I'll eat weeds, roots and stray cats instead.
Lol Bullens Pilsner Korv is the favorite food of boomers in my country, everytime I go to the supermarket there's always that one elderly couple that has their shopping cart stocked up on them. I had no idea it was popular outside of scandinavia.

ExceptionallyExceptional

GET OFF MY LAWN!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Pickled eggs: always see them in shops, never see anyone buying them.
I've never bought pickled eggs (or seen them in any store but one) but I tend to make my own once in awhile. Mainly because I detest throwing out anything I perceive as still useful (hence my yearly compost bin) and also because I actually like pickle-flavored hardboiled egg for some bizarre reason.

Canned spaghetti/ravioli/etc. seem to be mostly for kids. They're very bland to adult tastes generally. I loved Spagettios with hotdogs as a kid, but gag at the taste now.
I recently got a craving for Spaghetti-Os and franks myself. I'll admit, they're really not as good as they were when I was a kid, but at the same time I did enjoy them on a more psychological level given that I hadn't had them in well over a decade at this point. Tasted like nostalgia.

One thing I have never fucking understood is how anyone can eat tripe. I've never liked the shit. I don't like the texture, and I find the taste not worth dealing with the texture. Doesn't help that every dish I've had it served to me in were crap like Pozole and Menudo.

Dubu Kimchi

kiwifarms.net
What does it taste like? I've had some asian fruits that looks good but taste like back-of-the-fridge iceberg lettuce.

The rind is hard and inedible, inside is a white flesh which is crispy but the taste can range dreadfully from 'ok' sweet to deathly bitter without any visible indication of how ripe the fruit is. The center holds the seeds held together with the soft jelly like stuff that we see in cucumbers (I can't think of the proper words at the moment)

Most Koreans cut up the whole thing into slices and also skin it. All in all its way too much effort for little payoff taste wise.

saralovesjuicyfruit

kiwifarms.net
These things. I used to get them packed in my lunch as a kid, and even as a kid I thought they tasted nasty. Like someone poured powdered chalk into Kool-Aid. Still see people buying them for their kids, and still see adults nostalgic over "how good they tasted"

Your taste buds must be shit then.

View attachment 1200642

yeah, they had like weird undisolved shit at the bottom. The gallon jugs of similar drinks were the same, you could actually look at the bottom of the bottle and see the flavor sediment.
1585125264628.jpeg

Tags
None