Food You're Not Really Sure Anyone Even Buys -

neverendingmidi

it just goes on and on and on and on...
kiwifarms.net
Applesauce, sugarcubes, coffeem*lk, cherry jam, potato's, salad... vegetarian fake meat.. are the things I see that are not disired much.
Applesauce is useful if you need to take stupidly large pills for a medical reason. Get a spoonful, stick the pill in it, and it's easier to swallow than if you tried with just water. Something a nurse recommended to my mom when she was given some big ass antibiotic pills once.

booklover

kiwifarms.net
Applesauce is useful if you need to take stupidly large pills for a medical reason. Get a spoonful, stick the pill in it, and it's easier to swallow than if you tried with just water. Something a nurse recommended to my mom when she was given some big ass antibiotic pills once.

Applesauce can also be used as a fat substitute in baking, although fully replacing it doesn't usually work. You can usually replace about half of it without ruining the texture.

Conversely, some people on ketogenic diets for seizure disorders, which are like Atkins on steroids, get extra fat by mixing oil with applesauce. It's mostly a texture thing.

Polyboros2

Is dumb and lost Polyboros password
kiwifarms.net
I've never bought pickled eggs (or seen them in any store but one) but I tend to make my own once in awhile. Mainly because I detest throwing out anything I perceive as still useful (hence my yearly compost bin) and also because I actually like pickle-flavored hardboiled egg for some bizarre reason.

I recently got a craving for Spaghetti-Os and franks myself. I'll admit, they're really not as good as they were when I was a kid, but at the same time I did enjoy them on a more psychological level given that I hadn't had them in well over a decade at this point. Tasted like nostalgia.

One thing I have never fucking understood is how anyone can eat tripe. I've never liked the shit. I don't like the texture, and I find the taste not worth dealing with the texture. Doesn't help that every dish I've had it served to me in were crap like Pozole and Menudo.

When I was I kid I use to like the Sonic canned Spaghetti and Meatballs. Until one day where I just sorta realized it was shit.

30 years later I can still remember how awful those meatballs were.

Daughter of Cernunnos

Ghost husb@ndos
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
1585227450063.png

1585227478314.png

1585227502512.png

Dollarama sells vacuum sealed, microwavable corn on the cob. It's been there consistently for years.

toilet_rainbow

like a floof bomb in your face
kiwifarms.net
For some reason my first thought was that "mylk" was an attempt to bypass the mi.lk filter, not an actual brand of malk substitute.

I found out that canned ground beef was a thing yesterday. I've seen whole chicken in a can and canned burgers more than canned ground beef, so I wonder how popular it is with even campers and preppers.

neverendingmidi

kiwifarms.net
For some reason my first thought was that "mylk" was an attempt to bypass the mi.lk filter, not an actual brand of malk substitute.

I found out that canned ground beef was a thing yesterday. I've seen whole chicken in a can and canned burgers more than canned ground beef, so I wonder how popular it is with even campers and preppers.

How would that work? Is it cooked and loose? Cooked as a brick of ground beef and grease? Raw?

I can sort of see canned sloppy joe stuff. I mean it’s just a thicker version of canned chili in a way. But just plain? *shudder*

• Feels
Reactions: DatBepisTho

toilet_rainbow

like a floof bomb in your face
kiwifarms.net
How would that work? Is it cooked and loose? Cooked as a brick of ground beef and grease? Raw?

I can sort of see canned sloppy joe stuff. I mean it’s just a thicker version of canned chili in a way. But just plain? *shudder*

From what I heard, it's cooked but it's loaded with congealed fat since it's the fattiest type of ground beef. It's unseasoned so that you can make it into tacos, chili, etc. So pretty damn gross.

• Agree
Reactions: DatBepisTho

booklover

kiwifarms.net
From what I heard, it's cooked but it's loaded with congealed fat since it's the fattiest type of ground beef. It's unseasoned so that you can make it into tacos, chili, etc. So pretty damn gross.

I remember using that at Girl Scout camp. It looked and smelled like dog food. However, we were hungry adolescents, so we did eat it, and it wasn't bad when served hot.

• Informative
Reactions: toilet_rainbow

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Sweeney did nothing wrong.
kiwifarms.net
Something that I've discovered that most people won't buy, and it's relatively new here, is tubes of ground meat. They even wrote, printed and posted papers around it explaining why it wasn't a gross meat product for weirdos like spaghetti in a tube. It's honestly pretty good, I had to try it.

neverendingmidi

kiwifarms.net
Something that I've discovered that most people won't buy, and it's relatively new here, is tubes of ground meat. They even wrote, printed and posted papers around it explaining why it wasn't a gross meat product for weirdos like spaghetti in a tube. It's honestly pretty good, I had to try it.
They have it at my grocery, and always have, but I’ve always avoided it because you can’t actually see the meat through the tubing. Allegedly there were cases of grocery stores not actually rotating the stock of them/not handling it at the proper temperature to the surprise of the people who purchased them only to cut them open and find them rancid or full of mold.

Granted, these stories are from when I was a child, but I still can’t bring myself to buy them when there are transparent wrapped packages available.

• Horrifying
Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Sweeney did nothing wrong.
kiwifarms.net
They have it at my grocery, and always have, but I’ve always avoided it because you can’t actually see the meat through the tubing. Allegedly there were cases of grocery stores not actually rotating the stock of them/not handling it at the proper temperature to the surprise of the people who purchased them only to cut them open and find them rancid or full of mold.

Granted, these stories are from when I was a child, but I still can’t bring myself to buy them when there are transparent wrapped packages available.

Yeah there was some skepticism but I first bought some when they showed up here last year or so, not long ago, I think I prefer it over the inert gas packed ones. The poorly done HP DeskJet printed signs on why it wasn't gross taped over the meat section explained the merits of packing it in a tube and my father who was a butcher with strong opinions on how things should be done would have approved of it.

Few stores offer it these days but in the past the good charcuterie's were willing to grind anything you wanted, that was the best.

McMitch4kf

kiwifarms.net
It’s also a good egg substitute when baking, if you’re making something for someone with an allergy.

Reactions: Fliddaroonie

mindlessobserver

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1203774

View attachment 1203776

View attachment 1203777

Dollarama sells vacuum sealed, microwavable corn on the cob. It's been there consistently for years.

Interesting. But does it come with Vitamin K?

Un Platano

big blatano xDDDD
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's gross but we all know who's buying this stuff and that's extraordinarily lazy people. I don't even think being poor is a factor in it because you can still do a lot better than this for the same amount of money you'd be spending on these things. Even spam is miles ahead of the "meat" they put in that stuff. It's just laziness plain and simple.

Tags
None