Food You're Not Really Sure Anyone Even Buys -

5t3n0g0ph3r

Resident Archivist
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Pickled pig's feet is something I'll never understand.
I also never met anyone who has eaten, let alone enjoyed, Limburger cheese. Why it even exists is beyond me.

CWCchange

Ɔʍɔɔɥɐuƃǝ
kiwifarms.net
Canned chili is alright if you're not a chili connoisseur who buys everything individually, but without beans? It has an unappetizing texture, and chunks that come out without scooping it from the can adhere to the shape and surface of it like a san castle. I swear, the only people buying it are by accident not noticing "without beans" on the label.

neverendingmidi

it just goes on and on and on and on...
kiwifarms.net
Canned chili is alright if you're not a chili connoisseur who buys everything individually, but without beans? It has an unappetizing texture, and chunks that come out without scooping it from the can adhere to the shape and surface of it like a san castle. I swear, the only people buying it are by accident not noticing "without beans" on the label.
That's for mixing with a boatload of cheese for a quick "queso".

• Informative
Reactions: Trombonista

ricecake

Immunocompromised Cougar
kiwifarms.net
It's for hot dogs!

Hostess snacks
I eat like one Twinkie a year and have never seen a Hostess box in another friends house. I don’t think I’ve ever even seen one in someone’s cart. I know people buy individual ones at a gas station or something, but who buy them in boxes?
People who pack lunches for children.

Autumnal Equinox

Sing or I'll go home and kill all your mommies
kiwifarms.net
Hostess snacks
I eat like one Twinkie a year and have never seen a Hostess box in another friends house. I don’t think I’ve ever even seen one in someone’s cart. I know people buy individual ones at a gas station or something, but who buy them in boxes?
White trash people on food stamps eat that shit up. When I worked retail like clockwork, first of the month when EBT money came in, you'd see those kind of people buying boxes of that stuff like they were going out of business.

• Agree
Reactions: Mesh Gear Fox

Rinny.

a fhakin rat
kiwifarms.net
Egg white powder.

Not meringue powder (or egg white powder substitute) but actual fucking egg white powder for desserts. I can't fucking find this anywhere I go and I was wanting to use it for a cloud foam recipe to slap on top of my espresso so I can go to Starbucks less than I usually do, which is probably not more than once every 3+ months.

Clearly there isn't much of a demand for it where I live so I can only buy this shit online. I mean I guess i understand, you can just whip up egg whites or just ...exclude the yolk from the white goop if you want to eat whites instead - but sadly I kind of need it to replicate this recipe, oh well.

Aside from some kind of Whole Foods or Supplement store, I don't think I'll ever find this shit.

edit:
Oh, so i guess Whole foods DOES have it, but its flavored
1589429214365.png

Which , I guess for my intention, it's fine but, surprised there's no plain.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
Egg white powder.

Not meringue powder (or egg white powder substitute) but actual fucking egg white powder for desserts. I can't fucking find this anywhere I go and I was wanting to use it for a cloud foam recipe to slap on top of my espresso so I can go to Starbucks less than I usually do, which is probably not more than once every 3+ months.

Clearly there isn't much of a demand for it where I live so I can only buy this shit online. I mean I guess i understand, you can just whip up egg whites or just ...exclude the yolk from the white goop if you want to eat whites instead - but sadly I kind of need it to replicate this recipe, oh well.

Aside from some kind of Whole Foods or Supplement store, I don't think I'll ever find this shit.

edit:
Oh, so i guess Whole foods DOES have it, but its flavored
View attachment 1292217
Which , I guess for my intention, it's fine but, surprised there's no plain.

eeeggg.JPG

To praphrase the last line of an oped written by a chef about these products, "I hope every idiot buying this shit gets salmonella!".

sperginity

pee on me
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
its a texan thing. they are weird.

• Informative
Reactions: Trombonista

Ndnd

It’s not Aspirin...
kiwifarms.net
I literally do not understand why youd buy this stuff over just fucking separating the whites and yellows yourself for way less- or just fucking cracking open an egg, are people this fucking lazy? Yeesh.
Pre-separated egg whites are damned convenient if you do a lot of baking! It’s a godsend around Christmas, and especially useful for making things such as Swiss Meringue buttercream. If you use fresh egg whites you need to carefully heat them over a hot water bath in order to pasteurize them. Too hot and you’ll cook the egg whites, but if they’re not hot enough you risk giving everyone salmonella. The stuff that comes in a carton is already pasteurized, so it makes life a lot easier.

Plus it can sometimes be a pain in the ass figuring out what to do with leftover yolks. I love hollandaise sauce, but even I can only have so much of it...

Last edited:

Rinny.

a fhakin rat
kiwifarms.net
Pre-separated egg whites are damned convenient if you do a lot of baking! It’s a godsend around Christmas, and especially useful for making things such as Swiss Meringue buttercream. If you use fresh egg whites you need to carefully heat them over a hot water bath in order to pasteurize them. Too hot and you’ll cook the egg whites, but not if they’re not hot enough you risk giving everyone salmonella. The stuff that comes in a carton is already pasteurized, so it makes life a lot easier.

Plus it can sometimes be a pain in the ass figuring out what to do with leftover yolks. I love hollandaise sauce, but even I can only have so much of it...
OOooh.. I actually had no idea that the boxed egg whites were pre-pasteurized. That certainly does change the whole field of my opinion regarding this i guess. I bake and do some meringue shit so that is good to know.

Yeah, whenever I exclude the yolk for whatever reason I just resort to using it to make Vietnamese egg coffee, which is something I really enjoy. Sometimes zabaglione but thats too much effort in comparison and i prefer the egg coffee anyways.

• Agree
Reactions: Mesh Gear Fox

Ndnd

It’s not Aspirin...
kiwifarms.net
OOooh.. I actually had no idea that the boxed egg whites were pre-pasteurized. That certainly does change the whole field of my opinion regarding this i guess. I bake and do some meringue shit so that is good to know.

Yeah, whenever I exclude the yolk for whatever reason I just resort to using it to make Vietnamese egg coffee, which is something I really enjoy. Sometimes zabaglione but thats too much effort in comparison and i prefer the egg coffee anyways.
Vietnamese egg coffee is amazing! I just don’t know if I could have it for a week straight if I ended up with a dozen egg yolks. :lol: Sometimes I’ll make a lemon curd or French buttercream (it makes for a lovely macaron filling).

murgatroid

kiwifarms.net
In my younger days I worked in a deli and I was horrified whenever I caught a glimpse of the head cheese. In the entire time I worked there only an older asian lady bought it once.

detail-001@1200.1525283285.jpg

• Horrifying
Reactions: Dialtone

Stuffed Derma

Peer Pressured into a Thai Vasectomy
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1165793
I know only one person that genuinely like this thing. I tried to eat with an rice cracker, the smell reminded me of misso soup paste that I love but tasted salty and not good at all.
Marmite is a sticky, dark brown food paste with a distinctive, powerful flavour, that is extremely salty. This distinctive taste is represented in the marketing slogan: "Love it or hate it." Such is its prominence in British popular culture that the product's name is often used as a metaphor for something that is an acquired taste or tends to polarise opinions.[1][2] Marmite is a commonly used ingredient in dishes as a flavoring, as it is particularly rich in umami due to its very high levels of glutamate (1960 mg/100g)
I’ve had marmite-flavored chips-SORRY CRISSSSPSSS-and those were dope. I have a jar in the kitchen and I add a tsp to savory stuff that you’d also add like Worstershire to, like beef stew.

Canned spaghetti/ravioli/etc. seem to be mostly for kids. They're very bland to adult tastes generally. I loved Spagettios with hotdogs as a kid, but gag at the taste now.
This is my answer. I bought some a couple years ago on a lark, thinking it would be decent cheap junk food, and it was so incredibly bland. I cannot understand who is buying canned pasta.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tags
None