Food You're Not Really Sure Anyone Even Buys -

Bender

The life-ender fender Bender
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Beetroot, it has literally no purpose other than to taste horrible and stain your clothes if the dreaded purple drips land on you.

I'm pretty sure the only reason my family buys it involves some sort of convoluted prank that I'm the target of, because I've never seen any of them eat it either, but they're all like "do you want some beetroot on your otherwise edible cheese sandwich?"

Whatthefuck

kiwifarms.net
Beetroot, it has literally no purpose other than to taste horrible and stain your clothes if the dreaded purple drips land on you.

I'm pretty sure the only reason my family buys it involves some sort of convoluted prank that I'm the target of, because I've never seen any of them eat it either, but they're all like "do you want some beetroot on your otherwise edible cheese sandwich?"
I had this discussion just last night. My last CSA box came with candy stripe beets and I can't think of anything to do with them. They're the only vegetable I have a pathological hatred of. Honestly, besides roasting or pickling what can you use them for? I suppose they can be used in slaw or salad, but I just don't like their taste.

Dysnomia

Blood on the rise, it's following me
kiwifarms.net
Jicama is common in my parts of the southwest. People fuck them up by thinking they're just a Mexican potato and cooking them as such. Jicama is best served raw. 99% of the time you'll see it raw. Slice it up into fry or chip shape, quick rinse with cold water, and then season as you like. Johnny's seasoning with a little chipotle is the best. Shred and use for slaws and salads. It's basically like a non sweet apple texture wise. You CAN roast/fry/bake it, but it's super finicky and can turn to mush easily and you don't gain much from cooking it anyway. Goes well with any meat, especially seafood.

Or alternatively use the big fuckers as weights to lift.
Is it like a radish when you cook it? I like to put radishes in soup. I think most people don't cook them though.

Buster O'Keefe

Enjoys offal
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

I like the rush you get the day after eating beetroot: you take a crap and think "Oh fuck oh fuck I'm dying" then you realise it's the beetroot dyeing your piss and faeces red.

DuckSucker

Beautiful AND cute
kiwifarms.net
To contribute a food: random root vegetables like taro roots, sunchokes, celery root, jicama, etc. I don't know anyone who eats those. I would actually love to learn how to cook them since roots are my go-to for roasting veggies but I don't know where to start.
My sister makes a pretty mean potato gratin dish with celery root in it. I havent had it in a longass time so I dont remember how its made, just that she used to have to specifically go to the crunchy granola mom hippie store to buy it.

Ive also had jicama in this stuff, I think the brand Sabra used to sell it; it's called Texas caviar and its basically black eyed peas and some other vegetables in a light sort of vinaigrette or Caesar dressing.

You wanna talk weird vegetables though, Ive never seen anyone use turnips in anything ever. Or rutabagas. I think Ive seen someone use kohlrabi in something before using a turnip.
I had this discussion just last night. My last CSA box came with candy stripe beets and I can't think of anything to do with them. They're the only vegetable I have a pathological hatred of. Honestly, besides roasting or pickling what can you use them for? I suppose they can be used in slaw or salad, but I just don't like their taste.
My mom likes pickled beets and I think beets are okay. I think its one of those things if you grow up with it it's fine. Kind of like okra, there are really only a few ways to use it (that are commonly known) but its grown in places where nothing else will grow.

I was racking my brain and I remembered I think other than roasting it or pickling it, Ive seen a beet soup, like carrot or pea soup, and I looked it up and apparently beets are used in borscht, or at least one type of it. Other than that I started thinking I guess you could grate it and use it as you would in carrot cake so I think theyre grown and stayed popular because used sugar beets to sweeten shit like red velvet cake.

This website www.tastespotting.com is a cool blog aggregating website and I use it to find a bunch of recipes, there are a lot of beet recipes but since its one of those old world vegetables, most of them are like one or two dishes that have a ton of people making variations. One recipe I saw was a savory root vegetable tart, with sweet potatoes and beets, and another root vegetable pie that had turnips, onions, carrots, beets, and parsnips, but it was basically cubed roasted root vegetables on toast.

I still dont know what youd use a turnip for outside of maybe growing it for turnip greens.

Coffee Druid

Your friendly caffeinated chevalier
kiwifarms.net
My sister makes a pretty mean potato gratin dish with celery root in it. I havent had it in a longass time so I dont remember how its made, just that she used to have to specifically go to the crunchy granola mom hippie store to buy it.

Ive also had jicama in this stuff, I think the brand Sabra used to sell it; it's called Texas caviar and its basically black eyed peas and some other vegetables in a light sort of vinaigrette or Caesar dressing.

You wanna talk weird vegetables though, Ive never seen anyone use turnips in anything ever. Or rutabagas. I think Ive seen someone use kohlrabi in something before using a turnip.

My mom likes pickled beets and I think beets are okay. I think its one of those things if you grow up with it it's fine. Kind of like okra, there are really only a few ways to use it (that are commonly known) but its grown in places where nothing else will grow.

I was racking my brain and I remembered I think other than roasting it or pickling it, Ive seen a beet soup, like carrot or pea soup, and I looked it up and apparently beets are used in borscht, or at least one type of it. Other than that I started thinking I guess you could grate it and use it as you would in carrot cake so I think theyre grown and stayed popular because used sugar beets to sweeten shit like red velvet cake.

This website www.tastespotting.com is a cool blog aggregating website and I use it to find a bunch of recipes, there are a lot of beet recipes but since its one of those old world vegetables, most of them are like one or two dishes that have a ton of people making variations. One recipe I saw was a savory root vegetable tart, with sweet potatoes and beets, and another root vegetable pie that had turnips, onions, carrots, beets, and parsnips, but it was basically cubed roasted root vegetables on toast.

I still dont know what youd use a turnip for outside of maybe growing it for turnip greens.
Mashed turnips are pretty good. I had some when I went to some pioneer re-enactment place as a a kid and I still remember how amazing those were. Don’t know the recipe. Root vegetables are mostly starch and are kind of “simple” but I really do like them. Can’t go wrong with roasting them cubed or in fry shapes with spices I suppose.

Reactions: TheBlackVolga

TaimuRadiu

Kaiserin
kiwifarms.net
I didn't know people actually bought pickled eggs until I made my own. Same with pickled vegetables.

I make my own apple cider vinegar for reasons and I figured it's gotta be more useful than a hair rinse. Protip: make herbal vinegar.

Bender

The life-ender fender Bender
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I didn't know people actually bought pickled eggs until I made my own. Same with pickled vegetables.

I make my own apple cider vinegar for reasons and I figured it's gotta be more useful than a hair rinse. Protip: make herbal vinegar.
Pickled eggs are in jars in basically every chippie I've visited, yet I've never seen anyone order them. One guy taking my order gave me a "wow, really?" look when I asked for one with my kebab, I have no idea how long they'd been sitting there.

Puff

God of Chaos
kiwifarms.net
Jarred pig's feet at bars you go to except you actually know nobody buys them because they have literally been there since you were a goddamn child. They are terrifying and their mere existence frightens me.
Those are still in the grocery stores where I grew up. Along with pickled eggs and snuff. So ymmv.
Never tried them though.

Eldritch

I've seen too much
kiwifarms.net
I would like to defend beets. They may taste like my backyard and stain everything they touch, but if you eat one every day you'll probably live to be 105.

Also, a couple months ago I tried some canned oysters. don't know why people would go back for more of them.
And I say that as someone who actually likes Vienna sausages.

WonderWino

kiwifarms.net
I always wondered what kind of food vault tec supplied to vault dwellers to make their experiments that much more horrifying

Now I know

Who doesn't like Dr. Pepper?
Australians

No really. Its one of the few markets they did a trial in and it was overwhelmingly rejected. Didn't realize it myself until my aussie ex saw me open a can of it one day and looked at me like i'd lost my mind. She said it reminded her of some kind of low quality cough medicine

Tags
None