Food You're Not Really Sure Anyone Even Buys -

Coolio55

<(0_0<) <(0_0)> (>0_0)> KIRBY DANCE
kiwifarms.net
Serious question.

At xmas, have any of you even heard of peoiple eating fruitcake?
It's like something that was made by aliens to invade our culture.

Also in regards to spam: If you're interested in canned meat, PEK is apparently the way to go. PEK gold is apparently the least fatty (and thus the least gross). Plus they don't use mechanically separated meat.

MembersSchoolPizza

Sworn Brother of the Cult of Browning
kiwifarms.net
At xmas, have any of you even heard of peoiple eating fruitcake?
It's like something that was made by aliens to invade our culture.

I love a good fruit cake. My mother used to make the best ones. Most store-bought ones are pretty sad, but there are a few good ones.

I like the little like gooey Claxton food cakes you can buy in a brick at any grocery story tbh. I’ve never had any other type though.

For example, Claxton makes a decent one. Particularly the rarer "Dark" variety.

The problem with most... Like, 98% of fruitcakes, is that they aren't aged. Fruitcake shouldn't be served fresh. Mom always made her Christmas fruitcakes around Halloween. Then you wrap them with liquor-soaked cheesecloth, and store it in tupperware or a tin or something. Once a week, brush the cake down good with more liquor. Keep doing that for at least a month, preferably two or three.

You can use whatever you like for the liquor... I like a nice spiced rum or a cognac, my father prefers bourbon, whatever strikes your fancy. I keep meaning to try one with amaretto... Maybe this year.

Heartmoth

Daisymaes Husbind
kiwifarms.net
Everybody should learn how to pluck, gut, and dress and a chicken so they can have the pleasure of cutting open a bird for dinner. I would even put it as a mandatory part of home ec so kids can learn how to prepare their own food.

Its a shame that the one time that many kids get to see things how they really are in either an anatomy or biology class. This should be standard.

_blank_

The Charles Dickens of Disco
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
In regards to Spam: Spam is decidedly an acquired taste, but it's mostly in the preperation that makes it fantastic. One has not lived until they've tried a Spam Musubi.

In regards to powdered milk, yeah, I buy it just for cooking purposes, mostly because I rarely buy fresh milk. Makes more sense to have it on hand than to go to the store, buy a quart, use a cup, then have the remaining 3 cups just sit there in the fridge.

Sprig of Parsley

Damnation dignified
kiwifarms.net
Everybody should learn how to pluck, gut, and dress and a chicken so they can have the pleasure of cutting open a bird for dinner. I would even put it as a mandatory part of home ec so kids can learn how to prepare their own food.

Its a shame that the one time that many kids get to see things how they really are in either an anatomy or biology class. This should be standard.
It's called fucking ag science, and it should remain elective because a lot of people flip shit over that. Barring a horrific breakdown of society in which supermarkets cease to exist most people don't need to know that stuff, and if shit hits that particular fan they're fucked anyway.

Sprig of Parsley

Damnation dignified
kiwifarms.net
I like potted meat but would prefer not to slaughter and clean livestock/game. I'm thankful there are those who are fine with doing it and I agree with Sprig despite the nihilistic tone.
It is a massive pain in the ass. Rabbits are touchy, as you have to carefully remove the gallbladder more or less intact so you don't spoil the entire carcass, and it's a bit difficult at times due to small carcass and delicate gallbladder. (Killing them isn't particularly fun either, in the case of domestic meat rabbits.) Lambs, goats and cattle are just ungodly amounts of mess, usually. Slaughtering and dressing a steer is god damned hard work in particular.

Sprig of Parsley

Damnation dignified
kiwifarms.net
I don't have a rational explanation for it. I understand why people who didn't eat it growing up would have no interest in trying something that looks like dog food.
Can sympathize. I'm the only other person I know besides my ex who will touch pickled herring.

I'm actually kind of hazy on what someone even uses head cheese for. I've seen it ONCE, and no one was buying it.

Xarpho

Ugly and weak
kiwifarms.net
Dream Whip. It's literally a powder to make a whipped cream-like substance, sort of like a predecessor to Cool Whip. But you look at the bottom shelf (check below the puddings), and there it is, collecting dust as it hovers a few inches off the ground with other forgotten items.

Tags
None