Formula 1 Discussion - And favourite driver?

TopCat

kiwifarms.net
Although I don't watch it as much as I used to, my favourite driver of all-time is the Brazilian Ayrton Senna. A triple world champion who was tragically killed in a race on the 1 May 1994, Senna is pretty much seen as the greatest ever driver by many. When he died, Brazil declared three days of national mourning. Here he is in action:

LiveFromNS

JIMI
kiwifarms.net
Ahhh, finally someone on here found what is my lego to Chris! LOL

You can consider me an F1 freak. Big. I have ton of data on a 5TB external HD. Pretty well every race from 1978 to today. A bunch from earlier as well. Tons of docs, every year in review from 1970 up, etc.

Soooo, fav driver. So hard. Also I am old, 50 next year, so I had many since I started watching in about 85 or so. Being Canadian, 95-97 was excellent with Villeneuve winning CART/Indy, then pole first race in F1 in 96, second in championship, then WDC in 97. So, I was big fan of him. Then he got stupid and ruined rest of his career. LOL

But although he died when I was 1, for me, Jim Clark seemed to be the essence of an F1 driver. Drove during the crazy period, won WDC a few times and I believe he had something like a win rate of 1 in 3 races. I think he would have come close to 5 or 6 titles if hadn't died in F3 race. Graham Hill seemed like a cool chap too!

Of drivers from recent times, Jacques' father Gilles, was also regarded as one of the best drivers during his time. Sadly only 4-5 years his career ended up being.

Senna, of course, (I have a few hours of the coverage of his funeral. Unbelievable the crowds lining the streets. Like 3 million people. He was a King in Brazil, no doubt about it.

Prost was obviously great, great duels with Senna during late 80s.

I always liked Mika Hakkinen as well, glad he became a 2X WDC after he almost died in 95 I believe it was.

Of the recent crop, Alonso is good for sure. I like Button (met him in Montreal in 2001 on the street with his dad when I was there for the GP), he has a good driving style. Vettel needs to do a bit more with Ferrari just to shut up the "he won 4 WDCs because of Newey car" BS.

So, 2016. Nico and Lewis. Both are great drivers, both have a monster of a car for last 3 years. I think I think they have won the last 40 of 47 races or something like that.

Lewis I think just has that something extra/special about him. Leaving McLaren was smart move now it can be said.

While I'd like to see Nico win a WDC, Lewis is now 1 point behind again. So, ebb and flow is now back level. It should be a good fight to the end.

Thanks for letting me sperg on, happy to chat about F1 anytime @TopCat

If ever interested in some old race vids, docs etc. let me know. I can throw them in a dropbox for you.

Anchuent Christory

Socially Awesome and Cool.
kiwifarms.net
The BGP 001 made an appearance at this years Goodwood festival of speed. Probably my favourite F1 car in terms of what it achieved.

I learned an interesting (autistic) thing about it as well.

Jenson Button drove every single practice, qualifying, and race session in the same car (chassis) He actually won the championship in the oldest car on the grid.
This is quite unusual for the sport because the chances are the chassis will get damaged at some point, or it will get changed for another for various reasons throughout the season.

Only 3 chassis were ever manufactured, a low number even for an F1 car as teams will usually make enough spares to last a season. The one in the video belongs to Ross Brawn and is the very car Button drove. One is owned by Jenson Button as per his contract for that season and I believe the last resides in the Mercedes F1 factory.

Last edited:

AN/ALR56

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The latest Brazilian drivers are disappointing, although I think Felipe massa was put always in unfair conditions under Ferrari.
My favorite driver is Lewis Hamilton,dudes basically Senna's spiritual successor.

• Feels
Reactions: LiveFromNS

Lachlan Hunter McIntyre

Harakudoshi
Person of Interest
kiwifarms.net
Always liked Kimi Räikkönen when it comes to modern pilots. The older lads? Alain Prost, Niki Lauda, Jackie Stewart, Jack Brabham, Jim Clark, Fangio. Prost, Fangio, Ascari, Schumacher, Clark. Quite possibly the 5 greatest there ever were.

Is we welcome to whinge and moan about modern regulations and the neutering of iconic circuits, along with the replacing of European grands prix with ones in far-flung dictatorships?

• Winner
Reactions: LiveFromNS

LiveFromNS

JIMI
kiwifarms.net
Is we welcome to whinge and moan about modern regulations and the neutering of iconic circuits, along with the replacing of European grands prix with ones in far-flung dictatorships?
Absolutely, this thread seems low traffic, good for the F1 freaks amongst us to talk about anything. So, yeah @Harakudoshi 2017 is almost upon us, good thing to start talking about. This year will be the end of the Mercedes dominance and the field resets. The cream will always rise, but I'd like to see maybe Renault or Force India grab a win next year. That would be very welcome. In the last 49 races, only 3 of 11 teams have won. And Mercedes have won 42 of them! I will be somewhat happy if 1 team does not win more than 10 races next year. But I would much rather see 5 or 6 teams win. As I am sure you will agree, that is what is detracting from F1 right now. Lack of competition/too much gap between top 3 and rest of the teams. Anyway my thoughts there.

As for circuits, to be real honest, I just enjoy the racing. While true, some tracks suck, some are great, if there was closer racing, that would be enjoyable regardless of the circuit. I agree tho, some nice tracks are no more, its all about the money now. I don't want to get too much into the politics and finances of F1, but as we know, money is big issue there.

That's enough from me for now I guess. LOL

Lachlan Hunter McIntyre

Harakudoshi
Person of Interest
kiwifarms.net
Absolutely, this thread seems low traffic, good for the F1 freaks amongst us to talk about anything. So, yeah @Harakudoshi 2017 is almost upon us, good thing to start talking about. This year will be the end of the Mercedes dominance and the field resets. The cream will always rise, but I'd like to see maybe Renault or Force India grab a win next year. That would be very welcome. In the last 49 races, only 3 of 11 teams have won. And Mercedes have won 42 of them! I will be somewhat happy if 1 team does not win more than 10 races next year. But I would much rather see 5 or 6 teams win. As I am sure you will agree, that is what is detracting from F1 right now. Lack of competition/too much gap between top 3 and rest of the teams. Anyway my thoughts there.

As for circuits, to be real honest, I just enjoy the racing. While true, some tracks suck, some are great, if there was closer racing, that would be enjoyable regardless of the circuit. I agree tho, some nice tracks are no more, its all about the money now. I don't want to get too much into the politics and finances of F1, but as we know, money is big issue there.

That's enough from me for now I guess. LOL
The best way to fix F1 would to mix modern safety with car regulations similar to the mid 80s and early 90s. A specific amount of aero allowed (such as only X square centimetres of bodywork allowed to create downforce), a strict amount of fuel allowed. Ban the use of sequential gearboxes; H pattern 3 pedal manual only. 2 meters wide, 3.5 or so meters long. Forced induction engines limited to 1.5 litres, N/A limited to 3/3.5.
Otherwise, allow the engineers to go wild. So teams aren't spending millions in the wind tunnel, but are trying to create the most amount of power for efficiency. Allow teams to bring old engine designs back if they can make it to the end of the race with the set amount of fuel.
Ferrari can run atmos V12s, poor teams can bring the DFV and its decendants out of retirement. Renault can use twin turbo V6s, the return of the BMW Turbo 4s. Etc etc.

Fire Herman Tilke and render his children infertile, and return the circuits he's molested to their pre-Tilke form and upgrading the runoffs for safety. Have the return of classics such as the San Marino GP, French, Dutch, South African, Portuguese. All at their classic circuits. Get rid of the dictator Grands Prix from the regular calendar, and perhaps offer the last 5 GP of the season as a raffle deal. So they're different every year. And stop bleeding the circuits dry for the 'privilege' to hold a GP, so the circuits aren't all on the verge of bankruptcy as they are now.

Lachlan Hunter McIntyre

Harakudoshi
Person of Interest
kiwifarms.net
Perhaps create a 'GP Legend' spec series support race, where the cars are essentially all built like the 1967 Lotus 49, and run at the modern F1 circuits. Except with modern fuel cells so they're not bombs on wheels.

And a GP Classic spec support races, too. Perhaps based on the Lotus 72/McLaren M23 chassis. Field of 10 cars or so, a handful of laps. Give fans a taste of vintage F1 in a safe way.

And offer a free mobile app that allows you to listen to all the team radio and camera points of the driver of your choosing. And you can change which driver you're following during the race.

LiveFromNS

JIMI
kiwifarms.net
Well said, lots of good comments!

Unfortunately everything is tied to money. That's why Tilke designs, they race in dictatorships and 3 teams are the only ones who can win. And you are right on with the promoters getting fleeced by Bernie. Its ridiculous what they have to pay. I went to the Cdn GP from 2000-2003 And for my Gold grandstand ticket I think it was just under $450 Canadian. While I had seats right at start/finish one year, and it is a 3 day event, that still is a lot of money for common folks to piss away. That's why the German GP looked so poorly attended during Friday practice. Too expensive to work an F1 race into a person's budget.

I honestly don't know what or how to fix F1. All I ultimately care about is that at the end of the race, I felt like I enjoyed it a lot and saw great action, competition and racing. However they can get there, I will be happy.

I will be very interested in Winter testing this year. I hope we see something like Brawn 2009 or something where a never was team is suddenly threat to win.

LiveFromNS

JIMI
kiwifarms.net
And offer a free mobile app that allows you to listen to all the team radio and camera points of the driver of your choosing. And you can change which driver you're following during the race.
I hear ya on your other comments. Something about F1 say pre-80s for sure, maybe even pre-90s, just had a kind of flair that is missed. In some ways, unfortunately, progress means that era, those cars etc. are relegated to memories only.

But on the part I quoted. I read somewhere that Bernie wants to do something with the radio since now all teams broadcasts are available, he wants to sell access to it, So, there will be an app, but it won't be free! HAHA

Lachlan Hunter McIntyre

Harakudoshi
Person of Interest
kiwifarms.net
Well said, lots of good comments!

Unfortunately everything is tied to money. That's why Tilke designs, they race in dictatorships and 3 teams are the only ones who can win. And you are right on with the promoters getting fleeced by Bernie. Its ridiculous what they have to pay. I went to the Cdn GP from 2000-2003 And for my Gold grandstand ticket I think it was just under $450 Canadian. While I had seats right at start/finish one year, and it is a 3 day event, that still is a lot of money for common folks to piss away. That's why the German GP looked so poorly attended during Friday practice. Too expensive to work an F1 race into a person's budget.

I honestly don't know what or how to fix F1. All I ultimately care about is that at the end of the race, I felt like I enjoyed it a lot and saw great action, competition and racing. However they can get there, I will be happy.

I will be very interested in Winter testing this year. I hope we see something like Brawn 2009 or something where a never was team is suddenly threat to win.
It's what happens when an old POHM is allowed to run the show for too long. You eventually need an Aussie to come in and fix things. If I was in charge, I'd put the show and the fans first, teams and circuits second. And making money for me and my mates at the back. Make it cost less to build the cars, to host the races, to attend the races. Hell, I'd make an official F1-backed team to allow drivers a chance to race that wouldn't otherwise be able to afford it. Call it BRM. Use the early 90s version of the DFV: the DFR. Wouldn't win races, but it'd be competitive and would allow rookies a go that they wouldn't get without government money/being born wealthy.

Lachlan Hunter McIntyre

Harakudoshi
Person of Interest
kiwifarms.net
Here's hoping someone passionate about the sport ponies up for it.

Convince some new/old teams to come back. The son of Jack Brabham wants to revive the Brabham name, with the ultimate goal of returning to F1. Maybe the REAL Team Lotus could return (not that Malay knockoff). Tyrrell. BRM. Cooper.
Hell, maybe convince some pre war Grand Prix teams to come back. The lads in Maranello have had it too good for too long, it's about time an old rivalry was rekindled. The French Racing blue Bugattis should once again thunder around a Grand Prix circuit.

What do you reckon would make for a good season calendar?

TopCat

kiwifarms.net
The Day F1 Died:
The weekend of the San Marino Grand Prix in Imola, 1994, had begun with optimism. Ayrton Senna, triple world champion, was set to score his first championship points in the fast but erratic Williams FW16. Senna had suspicions that Michael Schumacher, driving a Benetton, was using electronics that were banned at the start of the year. Then, there was a serious accident involving Rubens Barrichello, a young Brazilian driver who many said Senna treated like a son. The accident, although apparently serious, left Barrichello with little more than a broken nose and a plaster cast on his arm. He had a lucky escape:

The next day, there was an initial shock but it was business as usual. Then, Roland Ratzenberger crashes out at near top speed. His lifeless body captured and broadcast live to the world. It was apparent that the crash had killed him. Formula One's first fatality in over twelve years:

The world is stunned. Should the show go on? Ultimately the race continues, although with a heavy heart. Then, at the start line, a large crash injures a number of spectators. Can it get any worse?

Then, on the third lap, Senna crashes out in a spectacular crash. His lifeless body broadcast to the world. It was at this moment that the world's greatest driver Ayrton Senna was dead.

Although since the nightmare vast safety improvements have been implemented, many believe that Formula One died on this weekend. The weekend which took the lives of two drivers. Senna is still the most recent fatality, after twenty-two years, to be claimed during a live race.

LiveFromNS

JIMI
kiwifarms.net
I love old F1 of course, purist all the way. I agree it would be nice to see old names revived, but with the money being king in F1, I think eventually it will be all manufacturer teams at some point, if F1 can allure them in and stop shooting itself in the foot. 2017 will be huge to see how these new cars are for racing and whether the competition is closer between most, if not all teams.

But, rather than look at future or past, wondering who will be watching Italian GP? It starts at 9AM where I live, but like qualifying this AM, I will be up watching for sure.

I'd like to see the Ferraris get ahead at start, but Mercedes with the soft tyres to start are a worry. I kind of hope for a repeat of Spain and the two Mercs tangle, just due to the fact that they will be 1-2 again, barring any issues. There is some good competition going on behind Mercs, it just sucks that its all for final step of the podium.

Anyway, GP2 and GP3 races today were good, hope F1 is as well!

LiveFromNS

JIMI
kiwifarms.net
Liberty Media To Buy Formula One Motor Racing

The sport is to change hands for the first time in more than a decade as it is snapped up by a firm backed by a US tycoon.

22:27, UK,Wednesday 07 September 2016
US firm Liberty Media is to buy Formula One motor racing in a deal to be announced shortly, according to Sky sources.

Sky News revealed last month that Liberty was on the verge of sealing a £6bn takeover of the sport.

CVC Capital Partners is handing over its ownership after taking a controlling stake in 2005.

Liberty is backed by John Malone, the American media tycoon.

Sources have previously said the takeover will see the sport gain a public stock listing for the first time through a tracking stock called Liberty Media Group.

A takeover would yield a windfall of more than $400m (£300m) for veteran F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone, who owns a 5.3% stake.

It is understood that Ecclestone would remain with F1 - at least for a transitional period of a few years.
A frenetic period for the ownership and management of F1 could also involve Chase Carey, a former DirecTV and News Corporation executive.

Mr Carey, who continues to serve on the board of Rupert Murdoch's 21st Century Fox and is also a director of Sky plc, the owner of Sky News, is understood to have been in talks about the role recently.

It is understood the deal would take part in two parts.

The first tranche would involve the acquisition of a 22% stake of F1 and would not be subject to regulatory conditions.

The remainder of the deal would see Liberty Media Corp acquiring the remaining 78% of the company, which would be subject to the approval of certain regulators as well as the FIA, world motorsport's governing body.

Sky's City Editor Mark Kleinman said: "The overall deal may not be complete for a few months, but there's no doubt that this is a very significant moment for Formula One."

LiveFromNS

JIMI
kiwifarms.net
Lots of fallout from that battle for 3rd! I took a nap right after the race finished and am just catching up on all the drama. I knew Max got the 5 sec to give 3rd to Vettel, but am just about to read about the latest!

Definitely some squabbling going on, never anything wrong with that, considering the boring 1-2 for the Mercs most of the time.

Last edited:
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino