Formula 1 Discussion - And favourite driver?

• Registration closed, comedy forum, Internet drama, Sneed, etc.

New Fag

kiwifarms.net
One month till the Ferrari reveal
1642407812740.png
https://archive.md/Mz11K

Pee Cola

it's a real drink
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
despite what the media and social media would lead you to believe this theatrics is hurting Hamilton's support here, nothing will kill your popularity more as a British sports person than being an obviously poor sport.
I'm sure the Poms would be more than happy to jump off the Hambone bandwagon and onto George's once the former fucks off and starts his hip-hop and/or fashion designer career. Or maybe Lando's if McLaren start beating Mercedes.
I miss the really vibrant colors on the grid, when I'd read that Racing Point were going to be pink I laughed but they looked surprisingly nice. I wish we'd see the likes of Renault 2010 livery or some bright green one, now it all blends together IMO (tho it's still better than the early 2010s when every car was either white+smeared shit or dark+smeared shit)
ngl I thought the Benetton liveries were the tits back in the day.

Although the Lotus JPS livery is still the GOAT, despite being one of the simplest F1 liveries of all time.

lotus10.jpg

Black with fancy gold writing. What more does anyone really need?

Last edited:

Things Better Forgotten

kiwifarms.net
The sprints are neat, but as I understand it its also what Merc used to put that overpowered engine in Hamilton's car (New engine turned up to 11, take the grid penalty in the sprint, finish well to make up for the penalty in the actual race) so I'm take it or leave it.

I'm sure all the other teams took note and will replicate the strategy if the sprints stay, but because engines aren't covered by the cost cap it means only the top teams are going to be capitalizing on it.

New Fag

kiwifarms.net
The sprints are neat, but as I understand it its also what Merc used to put that overpowered engine in Hamilton's car (New engine turned up to 11, take the grid penalty in the sprint, finish well to make up for the penalty in the actual race) so I'm take it or leave it.

I'm sure all the other teams took note and will replicate the strategy if the sprints stay, but because engines aren't covered by the cost cap it means only the top teams are going to be capitalizing on it.
Askually engine penalties are applied to the race race not the sprint race. Hamilton in Brasil started from the back in the sprint race cause his DRS was not legal and was DQ'd from qualifying. He then took a 5 place grid penalty on his sprint finished position of 5th and started the race 10th.

Full Race Replay

Hi my names Full Race Replay but you can call me F
kiwifarms.net
I'm confused about what they will actually be doing at red bull engine development anyway...

Anytime this gets brought up people online say that because there's an engine freeze for the next few years and porsche is gonna be coming in in 2026, red bull doesn't really need to worry about losing a works engine in terms of pace

RomanesEuntDomus

Sic Semper Tyrannis
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There's an engine freeze, but maybe they can still slightly change and optimize the layout? Also, when the new engines from Porsche arrive, maybe they can prepare stuff with their new expert I guess. If so, it's not jut the boon of having this guy on your team but also denying him to the other team.

New Fag

kiwifarms.net
More people leaving merc high performance powertrain department to join the new red bull engine department.

View attachment 2909471
View attachment 2909472

IIRC this is the guy who originally signed for Redbull with 6 months gardening leave then used that offer to get a new contract with Merc of more money but now 1 year of gardening leave. He then went back to Redbull and got even more money thrown at him to leave.

People are leaving for more money/promotions and also there's now a budget cap, Merc has already shuffled some from the F1 departments to other ventures and other teams are doing the same, Ferrari has even sent some to work at Hass.

Not to mention Milton Keynes is 30 mins from the two Merc plants.

I'm confused about what they will actually be doing at red bull engine development anyway...

Anytime this gets brought up people online say that because there's an engine freeze for the next few years and porsche is gonna be coming in in 2026, red bull doesn't really need to worry about losing a works engine in terms of pace

They're getting experienced people who know how to build F1 engines, as seen with TRacing Point you can copy someones notes but it doesn't mean you can replicate results. Giving a group of normal fabricators the plans would involve a lot of on the job learning and it would take a while for the produced engines to match the ones Honda were producing (last year not 2015). Probably also starting to work on the 2026 engines after all that was how Merc got such a headstart for 2014.

There is also the ability to bring reliability updates during the freeze.

There's an engine freeze, but maybe they can still slightly change and optimize the layout? Also, when the new engines from Porsche arrive, maybe they can prepare stuff with their new expert I guess. If so, it's not jut the boon of having this guy on your team but also denying him to the other team.

I've heard unfounded rumours that VAG doesn't like the idea of starting from scratch so a nice engine department staffed with experienced people would be tempting for them.

Balr0g

kiwifarms.net
There might be an engine freeze but Ferrari build a complete new engine for the 2022 areodynamics / car structure

So maybe Red Bull is also building anew engine or maybe a new layout of the engine. and as always modifying parts of the engine is probably not part of the freeze. And who knows maybe those guys are also working on a new engine for the future engine specs (who knows I bet Honda is keeping a finger on the pulse of F1 engineering just like they did in 1993 with their mugen engines)

On another note Red Bull has lost one of their aerodynmics chiefs to Aston Martin and they have reached a solution that this guy can work now for Aston Martin. Who knows maybe soon the same guy ends at Mercedes. It would be funny though if Mercedes will have more engine problems this year. Last year a lot of Mercedes teams had problems keeping their allowed changes and I think it's partially because they were under so much pressure by Red Bull.

RomanesEuntDomus

Sic Semper Tyrannis
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Their new wind tunnel won't be operational until the 2024 season, so the next two years will probably be midfield at best.
As long as some Aston Martin car eventually ends up in the top 3 places regularly, I'll be fine with that. Making a car that can compete with the likes of Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari (if they get back on track) is no trivial task. It's just a shame this will take too long to see Vettel back in the top ranks regularly. Though if he manages to help shape AM the way Schumacher shaped Mercedes into what it is today, that'd be pretty neat in itself... assuming Vettel can repeat that feat, that is.

Say what you want about Stroll Sr, though. That guy is committed and he's willing to pay the tab. I wonder if the same will be said about Mazepin Sr. at some point.

Coccxys

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Say what you want about Stroll Sr, though. That guy is committed and he's willing to pay the tab.
He's one guy with a passion (and a son who wants to race), it has been a long ass time since we have seen one of those take a team to winning. It would be quite heartwarming if he went to competing with the big automotive manufacturers.

The sport used to be chock full of these teams like Stewart, Brabham, Hesketh, Benneton, Jordan, (dare I say) Williams. Yeah it's got a car company with a significant history's badge and name but that's because he went and bought the car company not the other way around.

RomanesEuntDomus

Sic Semper Tyrannis
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
He's one guy with a passion (and a son who wants to race), it has been a long ass time since we have seen one of those take a team to winning. It would be quite heartwarming if he went to competing with the big automotive manufacturers.

The sport used to be chock full of these teams like Stewart, Brabham, Hesketh, Benneton, Jordan, (dare I say) Williams. Yeah it's got a car company with a significant history's badge and name but that's because he went and bought the car company not the other way around.
Oh yeah, watching AM rise from the days of the pink Mercedes all the way up to a title-competing team would be pretty cool. And Lance Stroll might not be my favorite driver, but he's earned his spurs fair and square, he's putting out decent performances with short glimpses of impressive moments (well... and some lapses of judgement, too. But in terms of drivers we've seen far worse come and go).

I remember how I laughed at the idea of an energy drink company running an F1 team. I thought it was a stupid marketing gimmick and they'd be some backburner-team at best.
Now look at RB and how they consistently challenge historical teams like Mercedes and Ferrari for titles and how they run such a tight ship that they genuinely are unchallenged in terms of quickest pitstops. Hopefully, AM will follow in those steps, we can never have enough competition for the title.

Balr0g

kiwifarms.net
The thing is though that you need patience in this business. How many teams have come and gone because they couldn't play the long game (hello Toyota!). Sure costs are also a defintive thing but just look at the former Minardi team: despite being always in the bottom they sticked to their guns and managed to hold on. And thank god for that they gave great drivers a chance (Alonso, Webber) and they were always one of the most liked teams.

On another note I tried my hand on a F1 music video for all the Deja vu situations we got in season 2021. Funny how much keeps somehow repeating regardless how F1 progresses