Formula 1 Discussion - And favourite driver?

• ATTN NEW USERS: I strongly suggest using a real, alter-ego email address from a reputable provider and using a Password Manager to securely keep tack of it. If you forget your email and password I cannot restore your account. These are good practices in general so stop being lazy.

Simple Moving Average

Noblesse oblige
kiwifarms.net
The thing is though that you need patience in this business. How many teams have come and gone because they couldn't play the long game (hello Toyota!). Sure costs are also a defintive thing but just look at the former Minardi team: despite being always in the bottom they sticked to their guns and managed to hold on. And thank god for that they gave great drivers a chance (Alonso, Webber) and they were always one of the most liked teams.

On another note I tried my hand on a F1 music video for all the Deja vu situations we got in season 2021. Funny how much keeps somehow repeating regardless how F1 progresses

Do I understand correctly that you made this?

Simple Moving Average

Noblesse oblige
kiwifarms.net
Well cutting up the videos and putting the music below, yeah. Took me a bit but last year gave me some opportunities to try my hand in video editing. I want to try some real vlog F1 videos but my real job reduces my time to work on that

Don't put yourself down like that friend. It's great, it's really great. I shared it with a bunch of my F1 people. Can't promise they'll watch it, but I am not in the habit of presenting people I like and respect with shoddily put-together shit.

You my friend, you've created art. Keep it up!

Balr0g

kiwifarms.net
Don't put yourself down like that friend. It's great, it's really great. I shared it with a bunch of my F1 people. Can't promise they'll watch it, but I am not in the habit of presenting people I like and respect with shoddily put-together shit.

You my friend, you've created art. Keep it up!
Thank you. I got the idea a few weeks back after looking at all the races and I just found some time to edit it together. I hope this season will give us equally good races

LiveFromNS

JIMI
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Honda offer update on 2022 power unit

Honda's 2022 power unit, which will be used by Red Bull and AlphaTauri this year, is almost fully ready to go.

The Honda power unit that will slot into the back of the Red Bull RB18 and AlphaTauri AT03 in 2022 is almost complete, says Yasuaki Asaki, the head of Honda's R&D at their Sakura headquarters.

While Honda's involvement in Formula 1 came to an official end at the conclusion of the 2021 season, the Japanese manufacturer will continue the manufacturing of their power units on behalf of Red Bull's new Red Bull Powertrains arm. This arrangement will remain in place until 2025.

The power unit that Red Bull's teams will use in 2022 is almost complete, ahead of the homologation that will freeze all development for the next few years.

"There are always details and problems to be fixed. But the concept, the basic part, had to be done last year to be ready for the season," explained Asaki to the Japanese edition of Motorsport.com.

The biggest change on the power unit front between 2021 and 2022 has been the change to use the new E10 fuel, which sees the ethanol content increased to 10 percent from 5.75 percent.

"The most important thing is to deal with E10 fuel," he explained.

"I think that's all there is to it. The engine framework has already been renewed, so we have made changes to get the best performance out of the E10 fuel.

"When you use E10 fuel, you have less power and calories for the same weight. This is a characteristic of alcohol fuel. On the other hand, knocking, which is abnormal combustion, is much easier to control.

"The goal is to achieve maximum efficiency but, with E10 fuel, the engine power is reduced and the amount of electricity generated is also reduced. We have been testing the balance between the two."

As for how much the E10 fuel has impacted on the engine's horsepower, Asaki was reluctant to say.

"That's a secret," he commented, when pushed on the subject.

"Other companies seem to be saying that it will be about the same as last year, but I think the fact that they are making such an announcement means that they are having a hard time producing the same level of power as last year."

With huge changes being made to the F1 rule book for 2022, our journalists Dieter Rencken, Mike Seymour and Thomas Maher look ahead to the new season.

Coccxys

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Rumour has it the FIA plan to replace the job of race director with a panel of 3 doing the decision making. Ready for fuckups a plenty while every little decision is made through some committee?

The race director role has to be a 1 person dictatorship to make decisions quickly and without any fucking around. Adding extra delays into it can only harm safety which is what they're there for.

Things Better Forgotten

kiwifarms.net
Rumour has it the FIA plan to replace the job of race director with a panel of 3 doing the decision making. Ready for fuckups a plenty while every little decision is made through some committee?

The race director role has to be a 1 person dictatorship to make decisions quickly and without any fucking around. Adding extra delays into it can only harm safety which is what they're there for.
Its amazing (if true) how the FiA can fuck things up. Race control by committee? Why not just give Massi the staff he clearly needs and get on with everyone's lives?

Mikoyan

Armenian Wheeler-Dealer
kiwifarms.net
All they needed was some sort of green-white-checker rule (with the serial numbers filed off, we can't be taking ideas from pleb series), and to shut off the radio to the directors.

Hell, go like oldschool CART and make it so you can protest to the marshalls but you have to run someone down in person with a significant cash deposit for the protest in hand.

The Grognard

kjeh kjeh räh
kiwifarms.net
IMO a pair for race direction makes some sense as long as they have their own specific roles for it. One to handle the on-track stuff and marshals, one to handle the teams and drivers.

The problem with a green-white-checker for F1 is the no-refueling rule. Unless you allow teams to refuel enough to last the two laps, they will not agree to this at all.

Last edited:

Rezza

kiwifarms.net
Max becoming the World Champion really going to change a lot of things, huh? Can't deny I'm kind of excited to see what kind of bullshittery will happen this season if they really went with the 3-man panel idea

RomanesEuntDomus

Sic Semper Trannies
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There is a very slim chance that FIA is going to implement the 3-stooges rule for race director to shut up Toto and Horner, but internally, there's still going to be one guy in charge who calls all the shots and the others just go
dfa.jpgdfa.jpg

But frankly, there should only be one person in charge and if FIA needs to learn anything from this then it's the following:
Tell Mercedes and Hamilton to get fucked. Sometimes you lose cause a shitty situation pulls the rug from under your feet, big fucking deal. It's not a merry-go-round, it's motorracing.

RomanesEuntDomus

Sic Semper Trannies
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
mercedes lost because they fucked around two times with not pitting.
the fia should them to fuck off
The thing about not pitting is that it was a gamble that they had to take. They did not expect a restart and pitting would have given Max the lead, since he stuck around close enough to cockblock Hamilton from getting a free pitstop even under Safety Car. That alone was a massive achievement for RB, which they only could pull off after throwing in literally everything they could muster. They had a flawless pitting strategy, Checo slowed down Hamilton for an entire lap, Max drove like the devil to take advantage of 2 free pitstops and it all amounted to him sticking close enough to Hamilton that he did not have enough space to breathe to get new tyres.

Even assuming that the race is restarted, when Hamilton is behind Verstappen on fresher tyres, an overtake is insanely risky, since all Verstappen has to do is to make Hamilton not finish the race and a swapparoo of Silverstone would have done just that. When you simply can't pit without losing a place and you don't think a restart is very likely or that the unlikely restart puts you behind a competitor that only needs to crash you out of the race to win, not pitting and hoping either for a finish behind SC or a desperate bumrush towards the finishing line is all you're left with.

Mercedes was forced to take this gamble, since RB left them no other option.
When people say that Mercedes made a mistake by not pitting, I think it kinda takes away from the stellar performance of RB, their marvelous strategy and the impeccable driving of both their drivers. Max' championship was a team-wide effort that pushed everything to the very edge - and sometimes even beyond.

Coccxys

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
As I keep telling everyone whinging about the result. If Hamilton hadn't fucked up the Baku restart then Abu Dhabi wouldn't have mattered. If they had pulled a sc instead of a red flag at immola Abu Dhabi wouldn't have mattered. If Hamilton hadn't damaged the floor at Austria then Abu Dhabi wouldn't have mattered. If the Abu Dhabi GP was the first, thirteenth or anything other than last GP then it would just be another Silverstone moment, a footnote at the bottom of a brilliant season.

Putting the result of the entire season down to on moment in one GP is failing to understand how a championship of any kind works. The championship result is the outcome of millions of decisions, moments of "fate" and actions.

Pee Cola

it's a real drink
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
When people say that Mercedes made a mistake by not pitting, I think it kinda takes away from the stellar performance of RB, their marvelous strategy and the impeccable driving of both their drivers. Max' championship was a team-wide effort that pushed everything to the very edge - and sometimes even beyond.
RB had the best overall teamwork of the 2021 season and it shows in the result. Their race strategy was on point more often than not and Max has the entire team's support. Everybody knew the impact their respective roles would have on Max winning the WDC, and everybody worked towards that goal.

If Mercedes wasn't the The Toto and Hambone Show, Hambone may have had the championship in the bag as early as Qatar. Abu Dhabi was arguably the strongest demonstration of how a team placing as much value its wingman as much as it values its number one driver can mean the difference between success and failure.

Not that I'm expecting Mercedes to allow this to happen, but if they want to maximise their chance of Hambone winning the 2022 WDC, they have to encourage George to be as engaged in the wingman role to Hambone as Checo is to Max. Though whether or not George's impatience and/or ego would get in the way of such a team strategy is another question.

Balr0g

kiwifarms.net
The biggest question will be which team has interpreted the new ruleset in the best way? Who knows maybe Red Bull and Mercedes botch their cars and we might have a Ferrari season. I know this is unrealistic but it would be a laugfh if Haas would be part of the top. After all their dismal results in 2021 gave them the highest budget and time in the wind tunnel according to the FIA rules.

RomanesEuntDomus

Sic Semper Trannies
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The biggest question will be which team has interpreted the new ruleset in the best way? Who knows maybe Red Bull and Mercedes botch their cars and we might have a Ferrari season. I know this is unrealistic but it would be a laugfh if Haas would be part of the top. After all their dismal results in 2021 gave them the highest budget and time in the wind tunnel according to the FIA rules.
I am cautiously optimistic that low-rake cars have a bit of an advantage, since it's all about the floor-design this season... so AM might be up on top, but that also carries the downside of Mercedes being strong as well.
But then again, maybe it's exactly the other way around and high-rake put teams in the right spot to design and optimize their floors.

New Fag

kiwifarms.net
Car launch recap for those who may have forgotten.

1643907912949.png

Hass are revealing their livery on the 2022 F1 dummy car tomorrow at 11:00 GMT.

Of course all cars shown will be different to the cars which will attend pre-season testing and the cars which start the first weekend will probably be slightly different to the cars at pre-season.

Red Bull has signed Honda's F1 engine boss along with other Honda employees for their engine department.
1643908468604.png
https://archive.md/llYvF

Race of champions is on this weekend, would be funny seeing Mick smoking Chadwick and Huerta and Vettel beating Bottas. I hope Mikka does well.
1643908903273.png1643909128381.png