Formula 1 Discussion - And favourite driver?

• Registration without invitation will be until July 4th, and we are reforming account penalties.

MalwareBytes has, again, blocked both the .net and .cc domains for the Kiwi Farms. Complain to them, not me.

Quiritium

kiwifarms.net
I still think we're going to see a very variable merc performance. It will probably average out to 3rd in the WCC but with some big struggles at some tracks (cooler and higher altitude ones in particular). They need to nail the set up on that car and I think that is going to be their major difficulty at some tracks.

It will be interesting to see if anything comes of both Mercs almost cooking their engines at the end of the race. Both leaking coolant suggest they had driven them to their absolute limit. Much like a computer chip overheating an engine is not something you can reverse, the performance and/or life you've taken out of it isn't coming back. It's also a possible limit of the nopod design as it's very tightly packaged with limited air intakes, it may struggle for cooling/reliability at particularly hot and/or high altitude tracks. That or they went balls to the wall marginal on everything at Barcelona to try and placate hambone.

Sainz was missing quite a few upgrades that Leclerc had so it's possible the upgrades to the Merc and Alpha have caught up to that original ferrari design but the new ferrari design has also taken a step forward.
Was that the reason for the "cool car" warnings Russel said he was getting during the race? His engineer replied they were real. I thought it was a weird conversation to be replayed by the tv direction. But Russel had already complained that the cockpit was getting too hot before the race started.

Edit: typo

Last edited:

Mikoyan

Armenian Wheeler-Dealer
kiwifarms.net
Was that the reason for the "cool car" warnings Russel said he was getting during the race? His engineer replied they were real. I thought it was a weird conversation to be replayed by the tv direction. But Russel had already complained that the cockpit was getting too hot before the race started.

Edit: typo
There was another easy to miss comm to Lewis near the end telling him to back off too, probably for the same reason.

Actually all the radio would be good to have on this. If they were worried about engine overheating early on that might've influenced 'let's just retire the car'.

New Fag

kiwifarms.net
Welcome to Formula £-Stretchers

1653321232041.png
1653321271002.png

While they have a point and the budget should probably increase at the same rate as inflation minus future reductions, Otmar is spot on and it's the teams with money trying to get more budget to develop their cars.

LetterlandMafia

Foreclose on me one more time
kiwifarms.net

View attachment 3311214
View attachment 3311216

While they have a point and the budget should probably increase at the same rate as inflation minus future reductions, Otmar is spot on and it's the teams with money trying to get more budget to develop their cars.

Horner bleating about the small teams then the next paragraph being the small teams voting against it is some Curb Your Enthusiasm shit.

RomanesEuntDomus

Sic Semper Trannies
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's also a possible limit of the nopod design as it's very tightly packaged with limited air intakes, it may struggle for cooling/reliability at particularly hot and/or high altitude tracks.
Ain't that some fine German engineering?
On cold tracks, the car can't get heat into the tyres and the car ends up slow.
On hot tracks, the cooling is insufficient and the car ends up slow.

:story:

Mikoyan

Armenian Wheeler-Dealer
kiwifarms.net

View attachment 3311214
View attachment 3311216

One race team is a pretty defined logistics load. What they ought to do is constrain that cost by taking the variable expenses (air freight, fuel for the trucks) and do the contracting for that through the FIA or rightsholders? Could get a great deal with some sponsorship.

Full Race Replay

Hi my names Full Race Replay but you can call me F
kiwifarms.net
Ain't that some fine German engineering?
On cold tracks, the car can't get heat into the tyres and the car ends up slow.
On hot tracks, the cooling is insufficient and the car ends up slow.

:story:
I am starting to understand what people are saying about the mercedes' narrow operating window

Coccxys

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There was another easy to miss comm to Lewis near the end telling him to back off too, probably for the same reason.
That was towards the end of the race where there was a real DNF risk because the coolant level was rapidly dropping (leak or fucked gasket?), they confirmed simular on Russell's too. It will be interesting to see if it caused longer term damage to those units or any of the other bits in close proximity.
SmartSelect_20220524-172738_Brave.jpg

In other news that everyone already knows but you really don't want your boss to actually say it
SmartSelect_20220524-172541_Brave.jpg
SmartSelect_20220524-172602_Brave.jpg

Last edited:

Balr0g

kiwifarms.net
Also in terms of Mclaren: Zack Brown also chimed into the debate over the budget cap saying that the inflation makes it harder to actually keep the expenses within the budget cap. Now I find that ironic that apparently most oif the teams didn'T account for the inflation as it wasn't there suddenly. Yes it has risen thanks to the Ukraine war but it was at a high level before that. And as Szafnauer said all teams could have set aside an amount just in case. If the FIa now compromises those teams get fucked. Just like Alfa got fucked when the minimal weight was raised to help the other teams or when they modified rules for the floor where Alpine had an advantage. Probably thew reason why Alpine is so adamant in vetoing any changes to the budget cap

Last edited:

Coccxys

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah the cap is the cap and they just haven't worked enough ways around it early enough. One obvious work around is salaries other than the top 5 are included but bonuses and other incentives aren't. If accountants can find a million ways for people to avoid paying tax then they can find ways around these regulations.

To an extent I'm not suprielsed they got caught out by the sudden surge in costs since the teams would have set their budgets long ago. Even if they set them as late as November 2021 then CPI in the UK was only 4.6%, if they were set in August 2021 then CPI was 3.2%, it currently stands at 9%. The energy usage of their factories is also included in the cap and well look at this shit
Screenshot_20220525-100344_Brave.jpg

I spoke with a financial advisor about something last October and they were of the opinion that "no way inflation goes to 7%" and this was someone with a good track recored and all the licences. So I can understand the teams getting caught out.

Mikoyan

Armenian Wheeler-Dealer
kiwifarms.net
I spoke with a financial advisor about something last October and they were of the opinion that "no way inflation goes to 7%" and this was someone with a good track recored and all the licences. So I can understand the teams getting caught out.
The "inflation doomsayers" of last year weren't talking about 8+%. Totally agree on that.

The Grognard

kjeh kjeh räh
kiwifarms.net
Inflation adjustment is necessary anyways, since the price of exotic materials will be very unstable depending on how the geopolitical situation is. They also are gonna have to get creative with their accounting.

Full Race Replay

Hi my names Full Race Replay but you can call me F
kiwifarms.net
Indy 500 update for you guys. Starting grid can be found here: https://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/events/indy500/event-info/live-grid

I'll probably be hoping for Romain to bring it home in the Andretti, he's starting in 9th place, in the 3rd row, so on the standing start he'll be battling for 7th-9th place. Of course, these indy 500s could be won by anyone due to how much carnage and different strategies are involved. Other than the other popular indycar drivers, Jimmy Johnson is pretty popular over here, especially among the nascar fans who are getting into indycar, and he's one row behind in 12th. Scott Dixon in the mcclaren is on pole and is in 5th in the points standings.

Looking at the standings, the points leaders are Will Power (11th on the starting grid), Alex Polou (2nd). In 5 races there have been 4 winners, the series is wide open, and it's pretty refreshing for this F1 fan (mainly owing to the highly prescriptive spec nature of indycar) (for perspective, last years indycar champ only won 3 out of the 16 races)

Don't forget the indy 500 is double points. (remember when formula 1 made abu dhabi double points for the final race, i think it was 2014?)

Balr0g

kiwifarms.net
Just saw that the FIa has extended it's grace peiod for jewellry to the race in Canada. So Hamilton can still drive with his nose ring and whatever piercings he has. I am not supürised it happens as for one this topic isn't the biggest on the list and who knows what feedback they got so far.

Oh and apparently for this weekend there is a possible rain chance at race day. Monacco in the rain brings back the 1997 vibe where Mika Salo drove the race without ever showing up to change tyres