Formula 1 Discussion - And favourite driver?

• t.me/kiwifarms is our Telegram for downtime and announcements.
    • The .is domain is disabled due to issues with the CDN and having multiple domains.

Full Race Replay

Hi my names Full Race Replay but you can call me F
kiwifarms.net
And here come the "Hamilton was robbed" stories.

View attachment 3453209
View attachment 3453206
View attachment 3453207

Even with Ferrari strategy retardism he was not winning. If Ferrari had a competent strategy department then it wouldn't have even been close.

Also Hambone went full retard in favour of the "protestors" with Merc having to quickly cover for him.

View attachment 3453274
It would have been pretty marginal between Lewis and the Ferraris if there were no safety car.

RomanesEuntDomus

Sic Semper Trannies
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Couldn't watch the race, which is quite a shame, since it seems to have been a really great one. Seb got a few points, Mick got his first points and a lot of good racing.

But I gotta say, Zhou's accident happened really early after the start, to think that in that short amount of time, his car got enough energy to slide down the rest of the straight, down the run-off-area and then still had enough energy to flip over the fence... just goes to show how much power there is in those cars. Glad he's okay. Even though the roll-hoops protect the driver when the car flips upside down just fine without the halo, the halo certainly helps to put that tiny bit of extra space in between driver and tarmac, just for comfort.

The halo wasn't really involved in protecting Zhou during his upside-down trip or when he crashed into the fence (thought it would have been potentially really helpful if the car had hit differently), but I think where it did help was when the car fell down between barrier and fence.

I have been watching Formula One since the late 1980s and I can't recall a more self defeating and retarded strategy than the one that Egon Spengler's idiot brother, Mattia Binotto, inflicted upon his drivers today
It was the worst strategy call since... well... Monaco this year, really. Ferrari fucking sucks at strategy and this has a profound effect on the driver, who will not have the necessary trust in his team when this shit keeps on piling up.

New Fag

kiwifarms.net
But I gotta say, Zhou's accident happened really early after the start, to think that in that short amount of time, his car got enough energy to slide down the rest of the straight, down the run-off-area and then still had enough energy to flip over the fence... just goes to show how much power there is in those cars. Glad he's okay. Even though the roll-hoops protect the driver when the car flips upside down just fine without the halo, the halo certainly helps to put that tiny bit of extra space in between driver and tarmac, just for comfort.

The halo wasn't really involved in protecting Zhou during his upside-down trip or when he crashed into the fence (thought it would have been potentially really helpful if the car had hit differently), but I think where it did help was when the car fell down between barrier and fence.

Supposedly the roll hoop came off and looking at pictures of the wreck I agree.

1656961172648.png

JustStopDude

kiwifarms.net
Finally got to watch the race, due to work. Couple of thoughts.

Zhou has impressed the hell out of me this year and I am just glad he is okay. Checking out some of the replays from the stands, it's terrifying when the car hits the fence. I cannot imagine what it was like for people watching the car flip up at them.

So happy for Schumacher and the Haas team. Their improvement over last year has been pretty freaking amazing and I really hope that Schumacher can build on this. Like the monkey is off his back.

In regards to Lewis, does he understand that his car runs on petro products? Does he think the private jets he flies in are battery powered? He is a millionaire who is literally paid by oil companies to consume more resources than a third world city.

It is amazing how tone deaf and isolated from reality one can get when for twenty years straight, every single person they knows sucks you off constantly.

Rezza

kiwifarms.net
Finally got to watch the race, due to work. Couple of thoughts.

Zhou has impressed the hell out of me this year and I am just glad he is okay. Checking out some of the replays from the stands, it's terrifying when the car hits the fence. I cannot imagine what it was like for people watching the car flip up at them.

So happy for Schumacher and the Haas team. Their improvement over last year has been pretty freaking amazing and I really hope that Schumacher can build on this. Like the monkey is off his back.

In regards to Lewis, does he understand that his car runs on petro products? Does he think the private jets he flies in are battery powered? He is a millionaire who is literally paid by oil companies to consume more resources than a third world city.

It is amazing how tone deaf and isolated from reality one can get when for twenty years straight, every single person they knows sucks you off constantly.
It's the Yes-men Syndrome, if everyone around you just agreed with whatever you say, sooner or later you're going to believe your own lies

Things Better Forgotten

Kill count: -1
kiwifarms.net
It was the worst strategy call since... well... Monaco this year, really. Ferrari fucking sucks at strategy and this has a profound effect on the driver, who will not have the necessary trust in his team when this shit keeps on piling up.
I am convinced that F1 manager 2022 is nothing more than a hiring scheme for Ferrari strategists like its The Last Starfighter.

Becky McDonald

kiwifarms.net
Extremely hot take incoming.

The Halo is majorly over-rated, and the overwhelming majority of instances where it has been praised is because we simply don't know what would have happened without it. Were the track marshals at Bahrain even more incompetent than they were during the 2020 finale, Grosjean probably would have burned to death regardless. I can also recall an early incident where Raikkonen was trapped in his car because of a malfunction.

Who, in all honesty, died in open wheel racing throughout recent history (i.e. 1980s onwards) as the result of a head injury? I can think of two; Henry Surtees in 2009, and Justin Wilson in 2015, both of them freak occurrences. This is motor racing; accidents like that are going to occur. It's not a case of who will be the last person to die, period, in a particular discipline such as F1 or GT cars, but who will be the last person to die in a while. Allan Simonsen, driving a modern-specification GTE car, still died at Le Mans in 2013. All the safety measures and precautions in the world cannot change the fact you are driving a 1-ton hunk of metal at speeds of over 200 MPH along with many other people doing the same, and accidents WILL happen. The human body was never designed to go anywhere near these speeds, and will not develop any evolutionary traits to accomodate for this for a good few centuries.

A Massa-type event can still happen were the part positioned at just the right angle and aimed at just the right trajectory, through one of the two gaps in the Halo. It is a compromise, otherwise open-wheeled racing would cease to exist, and there were other solutions, like Red Bull's aeroscreen for instance, which is much more fitting for a sport like F1 as many cars in the '60s and '70s did have a similar windshield in the days before full-face helmets.

Jules Bianchi died as a result of failing to follow correct racing procedure and would have died even with a closed cockpit, contrary to the many revisionist redditors out there with comparatively minimal wheel knowledge. Now because of him, every race that has >5mm of rain will be red-flagged, like we saw in Monaco.

I am sick to the fucking gills over early 20s-redditors who read a book or two on F1 after following DTS and suddenly think they're an expert on the sport. I've been watching since 1998, through thousands of practice, qualifying and race sessions. In that time, I've seen many rollovers, shunts, and close calls. Not once have I seen a driver die due to a head injury. Other than Massa (and Sutil fucking up Schumi's neck), I have never seen an injury in F1 that directly affected the driver's head/neck, as that's what HANS was designed for.

Of every 10 incidents they blindly praise the Halo (PBUH), probably 8 or 9 of those the driver would have walked from. That old jew Nissany for instance had more or less the same accident as what happened at the start of Belgium twice in the last decade. No-one died during either of those crashes. I am fed up of people in general thinking every minor shunt in F1 can be directly attributed to the Halo, when this simply isn't the case. If Webber's flip at Valencia 2010 is anything to go by, Zhou probably would have survived unscathed.

What was far more concerning about that accident is the fact the catchfence barely caught Zhou's car, and we could have easily seen a repeat of Le Man 1955 had the rear tyre not dug in and absorbed a lot of the inertia.

Bill Elliot

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
kiwifarms.net
A superb race and one that I hope closes the discussion on the future of Silverstone as a circuit on the F1 Calendar. Charles was Olympian in the final laps but it was a battle he could not win..

I have been watching Formula One since the late 1980s and I can't recall a more self defeating and retarded strategy than the one that Egon Spengler's idiot brother, Mattia Binotto, inflicted upon his drivers today - a combination of fence-sitting and dithering that was truly awe-inspiring in its unfettered stupidity. It was so dumb I wonder if money changed hands under a table.
Ferrari are so busy trying to be... ethical? And the good guys? They have this paralysis of making team orders or a decision, like they're trying to play this weird balancing act between Sainz and Leclerc. Look, Binotto. Leclerc is your championship contender. You're making a very nice effort to give Sainz a chance but you are not gonna win this way.

Full Race Replay

Hi my names Full Race Replay but you can call me F
kiwifarms.net
Extremely hot take incoming.

The Halo is majorly over-rated, and the overwhelming majority of instances where it has been praised is because we simply don't know what would have happened without it. Were the track marshals at Bahrain even more incompetent than they were during the 2020 finale, Grosjean probably would have burned to death regardless. I can also recall an early incident where Raikkonen was trapped in his car because of a malfunction.

Who, in all honesty, died in open wheel racing throughout recent history (i.e. 1980s onwards) as the result of a head injury? I can think of two; Henry Surtees in 2009, and Justin Wilson in 2015, both of them freak occurrences. This is motor racing; accidents like that are going to occur. It's not a case of who will be the last person to die, period, in a particular discipline such as F1 or GT cars, but who will be the last person to die in a while. Allan Simonsen, driving a modern-specification GTE car, still died at Le Mans in 2013. All the safety measures and precautions in the world cannot change the fact you are driving a 1-ton hunk of metal at speeds of over 200 MPH along with many other people doing the same, and accidents WILL happen. The human body was never designed to go anywhere near these speeds, and will not develop any evolutionary traits to accomodate for this for a good few centuries.

A Massa-type event can still happen were the part positioned at just the right angle and aimed at just the right trajectory, through one of the two gaps in the Halo. It is a compromise, otherwise open-wheeled racing would cease to exist, and there were other solutions, like Red Bull's aeroscreen for instance, which is much more fitting for a sport like F1 as many cars in the '60s and '70s did have a similar windshield in the days before full-face helmets.

Jules Bianchi died as a result of failing to follow correct racing procedure and would have died even with a closed cockpit, contrary to the many revisionist redditors out there with comparatively minimal wheel knowledge. Now because of him, every race that has >5mm of rain will be red-flagged, like we saw in Monaco.

I am sick to the fucking gills over early 20s-redditors who read a book or two on F1 after following DTS and suddenly think they're an expert on the sport. I've been watching since 1998, through thousands of practice, qualifying and race sessions. In that time, I've seen many rollovers, shunts, and close calls. Not once have I seen a driver die due to a head injury. Other than Massa (and Sutil fucking up Schumi's neck), I have never seen an injury in F1 that directly affected the driver's head/neck, as that's what HANS was designed for.

Of every 10 incidents they blindly praise the Halo (PBUH), probably 8 or 9 of those the driver would have walked from. That old jew Nissany for instance had more or less the same accident as what happened at the start of Belgium twice in the last decade. No-one died during either of those crashes. I am fed up of people in general thinking every minor shunt in F1 can be directly attributed to the Halo, when this simply isn't the case. If Webber's flip at Valencia 2010 is anything to go by, Zhou probably would have survived unscathed.

What was far more concerning about that accident is the fact the catchfence barely caught Zhou's car, and we could have easily seen a repeat of Le Man 1955 had the rear tyre not dug in and absorbed a lot of the inertia.
The HALO dickriders, for lack of a better term, are an interesting bunch. I think the best explanation is they are pretending they were the ones who were in favor of adding it in 2017/8 and are rubbing it in for all the other fans.
D04906E5-8B2B-478C-83A4-123E392E80E3.jpeg

It’s not even that I would want to remove it now, because in history there are confirmed instances of objects entering the cockpit such as what happened to Martin Brundle in Brazil 1994, but the way these guys talk is the type of thing that makes you instinctively want the opposite of what they say. The most annoying part is how they think in terms of black and white

before 2018, the f1 cars were death traps and drivers were dying left and right from tyres flinging directly at their head at 200mph, and after 2018 there will never be any more driver fatalities and F1 safety is mathematically solved. And they ignore other safety improvements that have had a bigger impact such as the HANS device (which saved goatifi from series injuries during the same first lap crash), track safety such as run off areas and tyre and techpro barriers, car survival cell, helmet reinforcement. No, the halo is the thing we were missing all along. If senna had a halo on his car, he would have survived running into the concrete wall head on at full speed.

Yesterday I noticed someone posted a question in r/f1technical that was suspiciously similar to what I said here recently, that the flat top of the halo may have made Zhou’s crash worse by sliding on the top instead of resting on its side. And he got bullied by many people’s snarky pro halo replies who ignored his question and the opportunity to even increase driver safety.

Maybe the most annoying thing is that this is fed to us by the mainstream F1 media too, people like ESPN F1 and Sky F1 commentators bring this up even during the race. Because forget sliding into the wall at low speed and breaking your feet, forget basilar skull fractures, forget small pointy objects penetrating the helmet (would not be stopped by the halo btw), no, the halo is the single greatest invention in F1 history, somehow.

Weeb Slinger

kiwifarms.net
Ferrari are so busy trying to be... ethical? And the good guys? They have this paralysis of making team orders or a decision, like they're trying to play this weird balancing act between Sainz and Leclerc. Look, Binotto. Leclerc is your championship contender. You're making a very nice effort to give Sainz a chance but you are not gonna win this way.

I wonder whether the events of Austria 2002, where Barrichello allowed Schumacher to pass him after the final corner, still resonate within Ferrari.

Rubens had been ordered to let Michael go several laps before but had refused, only to relent at the 11th hour following what he claims was a threat that was broader than his contract with the team. The switch made an enormous dent in the reputation of Ferrari and Schumacher. I don't generally get emotional when I am watching sports but I remember standing up and swearing at the TV.

At Silverstone, it's possible that Ferrari feared a publicity backlash, if they took away a long overdue race win from Sainz on the auspicious occasion of his 150th race start. I don't begrudge him the victory but, however their drivers lined up at the end, this should have been a 1-2 finish.

Friendly Primarina

50% more friendly than the average Primarina
kiwifarms.net
Adding on to @Becky McDonald and @Full Race Replay's posts (which I can't quote), there's an argument to be made that the incredibly safety standards in F1 give rise to drivers like Maldonado and Mazepin. As funny as it was watching them crash out every other race, they did ruin things for all the other drivers, and in Maldonado's case jeopardized the team's finances.

These two drivers could only have existed in today's F1, because if they had competed in the 70s, they would have been killed in their second race. No way could Mazepin have lasted a full season in Stewart's era.

Quiritium

kiwifarms.net
And that's why I, a lifetime McLaren fan, want the Great Satan, my teams' arch-nemesis, Ferrari, to win this year. Because they are acting the way I believe every team should. I really fucking hate what the Merc/RB years did to the sport...

Mikoyan

Armenian Wheeler-Dealer
kiwifarms.net
I wonder whether the events of Austria 2002, where Barrichello allowed Schumacher to pass him after the final corner, still resonate within Ferrari.

Rubens had been ordered to let Michael go several laps before but had refused, only to relent at the 11th hour following what he claims was a threat that was broader than his contract with the team. The switch made an enormous dent in the reputation of Ferrari and Schumacher. I don't generally get emotional when I am watching sports but I remember standing up and swearing at the TV.

At Silverstone, it's possible that Ferrari feared a publicity backlash, if they took away a long overdue race win from Sainz on the auspicious occasion of his 150th race start. I don't begrudge him the victory but, however their drivers lined up at the end, this should have been a 1-2 finish.
"Broader than his contract". What are we talking about, is Ferarri even more mobbed up than I thought?