Formula 1 Discussion - And favourite driver?

Coccxys

kiwifarms.net
He's even doing the car development for them...

Screenshot_20201013-214251.png

LiveFromNS

JIMI
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Don't shoot the messenger on this one! I just saw post on Reddit. I used G to translate from Italian.
tl;dr: Speaks about Mazepin (I mentioned previous post I read rumour of his dad getting him a drive with (or buying) Haas). But interesting dynamic if indeed George was headed to partner Hambone, Claire blocked it, then sold team and now new owners might not be so keen on George with Perez lurking around now that Haas is unlikely. Hard to fathom George in this position. Wonder if the questions will be flying at next race about all this latest gossip/news.

Russell: from the Mercedes dream to the 2021 nightmare​

Of: Roberto Chinchero
15 Oct 2020, 12:57

These are tense days for the Williams driver who in recent days has lost the certainty of being at the start of the next World Championship with the Grove team. To know his future, George will have to wait until the end of October when the intentions of the new ownership of the team interested in Sergio Perez will be known.​

From the dream of a lifetime to the worst nightmare that a driver can experience: the risk of finding himself on foot. All in less than four months, in which George Russell went from being a stone's throw from joining Mercedes to the real risk of not participating in the next Formula 1 World Championship.

In the first days of summer, towards the end of June, Russell was promoted from the top of Mercedes: to the starting role in the 2021 World Championship alongside Lewis Hamilton.

Valtteri Bottas would be helped by Mercedes itself to find a 'B' plan with priority on the Aston Martin project. Then something jammed, and according to rumors gathered in the paddock, the operation was blocked by Williams, who held an option in her favor to keep Russell.

In the midst of negotiations for the sale of the team, Claire Williams wanted to exercise the option in her favor to keep Russell, in fact a valuable asset for the team, despite George having been a Mercedes' junior driver for many years.
Closing in the bud any possibility of transfer of its driver, Williams announced on July 16 the confirmation of George for 2021, six weeks before admitting the change of ownership of the Grove team.

For Russell, the near-term future has become very clear, which is his third season in Williams. Everything seemed to go according to plan until the final days of September, when Nikita Mazepin began evaluating the possibilities of entering Formula 1 in 2021.

The strong candidacy of the Russian driver has shaken a negotiation that seemed to have started to end positively, that is the one between Sergio Perez and Haas, and the Mexican has thus sought a plan 'B', an alternative that a little surprisingly he found in Williams .

The most surprising aspect of this development is that Russell's presence in the team was taken for granted, having a contract announced by the team itself, but due to the change of ownership of the team, the new shareholders could take advantage of the "change of control ”to re-evaluate the contracts previously stipulated by the old owner.

In practice, Russell's seat is anything but solid and if the team decides to focus on Perez, the English driver would have the possibility of finding himself without a steering wheel in the next World Championship.

Nothing appears to have been decided yet, but Russell's autumn will undoubtedly be less clear than early summer's dream.

With many pieces still to be wedged, the driver market could evolve favorably for the English rider without any unwelcome surprises, but a potential risk exists, and at the moment Russell can only passively witness what will happen in the coming days.
SOURCE: https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-russell-dal-sogno-mercedes-allincubo-2021/4892301/

LiveFromNS

JIMI
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Just saw a provisional calendar for 2021, direct copy/paste below. Obviously the last race should say December so I fixed that. Full article and source below table. 1 triple-header and 5 double-headers looks like. If the Covid hysteria is over, I think I may make the trek to Montreal again! My province is doing quite well, no 2nd wave, pretty much gone from these shores, but central Canada, mainly Quebec and Ontario, it keeps getting worse.

Also to add, I think it is so fucking stupid, or daft for the UK lads on here, that they come to Canada from Monaco and then go to Austria! They need to get back to Indy or another northern US venue to double that trek up! Or come to US/Canada/Mexico after the summer halt. I mean it makes no sense to do that transatlantic shit twice when they could most likely line up the 3 Americas races. It reminds of the daft way they had Hendrix touring the US in 1968. Zigzagging around instead of following a logical route. Just a lot of unnecessary travel.

Another new race in Saudi Arabia? Bet Lewis will shack up in the King's palace and have a bunch of chicks to serve him day and night. You can't tell me that when he stayed with the royalty in Bahrain he wasn't indulged with whatever earthly pleasures he wished.

Speaking of, do you find it weird that he doesn't seem to have a woman hanging off him? I don't think I have ever heard him been asked about or him talk about a chick since back when that joke for a singer was hanging around him. I wonder what that's all about? Has word spread amongst the 1% females that he is a sleaze or got a small dick and no chick will be with him? Is he turning homo or trooning out? Or does he realize having a potential chick haggling and hassling him is unneeded grief and will only distract his focus from doing what he does in his job. I have no prob with Ham being a spade, and I think he is one of the GoATs for sure, but like Russell Greer, its his persona and how he acts and what he says that makes him a goofball.

Anyway, here is the calendar, thoughts? EDIT-Shit, Brazil gone!
Provisional 2021 F1 calendar:
CourseDate
1Bahrain GP (Bahrain)14 March
2Vietnam GP (Hanoï)28 March
3China GP (Shanghaï)11 April
4Azerbaijan GP (Bakou)25 April
5Dutch GP (Zandvoort)2 May
6Spanish GP (Barcelona)9 May
7Monaoc GP (Monte-Carlo)23 May
8Canadian GP (Montreal)6 June
9Austrian GP (Spielberg)20 June
10French GP (Paul Ricard)27 June
11British GP (Silverstone)11 July
12Hungarian GP (Budapest)25 July
13Belgium GP (Spa)29 August
14Italian GP (Monza)5 September
15Russian GP (Sotchi)19 September
16Singapour GP (Marina Bay)26 September
17Japanese GP (Suzuka)10 October
18Australian GP (Melbourne)24 October
19US GP (Austin)7 November
20Mexican GP (Mexico)14 November
21Saudi Arabian GP (Jeddah)28 November
22Abu Dhabi GP (Yas Marina)5 November December
Bahrain set to open 2021 season on provisional calendar
Pierre Van Vliet 16/10/2020 at 09:21

Formula 1 will be racing in Bahrain on November 29th and December 6th, but teams may well return to Sakhir just over three months later according to a draft calendar for 2021 that has come F1i's way.

F1 boss Chase Carey said this week that the sport was in the process of finalizing a "pretty normal" schedule for next year, referring to a return to "a more balanced set of events across the globe" after this year's disrupted campaign.

The FIA has yet to officially release a provisional calendar for 2021, but a 'draft' of next year's agenda is currently circulating in cyberspace.

The season is set to open on March 14th in Bahrain where winter testing may also take place, with Melbourne pushed all the way back to October, a change justified by Australia's current COVID-19 travel and border restrictions, the duration of which are unknown.

Vietnam and Holland are earmarked once again for their maiden F1 events, but Germany and Brazil have predictably fallen off the schedule.

Formula 1 will return to the Americas, with Austin and Mexico City present in their usual November slots, but a Saudi Arabian Grand Prix at Jeddah scheduled as the penultimate round of the World Championship is another newcomer on the calendar.

Sadly, F1 will not return to the Mugello next year as many had hoped would be the case after this year's thrilling event.

In addition to being provisional, the calendar would also require a COVID-19 sanitary all-clear from each hosting country. And that may be once again F1's biggest hurdle next year.
SOURCE: https://f1i.com/news/387203-bahrain-set-to-open-2021-season-on-provisional-calendar.html

Last edited:

Coccxys

kiwifarms.net
I don't know how much stock I put in the Russel thing. Surely Mercades has a strong say over his career being that he is their main young driver. Even if it is the case I expect the new owners are not going to want to piss off their major supplier by ousting their next big prospect.

Australia not the first? The fuck is this. Also Interlargos is one of the better tracks, it needs putting on there. Just stick Canada in November with the other North American races, go ahead try and warm your tyres up now!

In other news Red Bull is threatening to walk and take Alpha Tauri with them unless there is an engine freeze in the 2022 regulations. Merc is down with that idea (wonder why), Renault say sure as long as there is an engine parity reset and Ferrari says fuck you there are options for engines available to you without a freeze.

Screenshot_20201016-225045.png

Article

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LiveFromNS

LiveFromNS

JIMI
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Fucking F1 man. Its one of the few (only?) sport where the stuff that goes on away from the field, track, stadium etc. is more talked about than the actual match, race, game or competition.

I feel like I have been watching F1 slowly die since Senna died. Tobacco adverts disappeared shortly thereafter, then you had the Ferrari/Schumi dominance, Toyota, Honda and BMW all coming and going, next it was RB/Vet dominance and 3 new teams coming and going, then Mercedes/Ham dominance. All coupled over that time frame with the engines getting progressively less of a thrill. Don't forget the tires saga where every team runs to an optimum strategy and don't do fastest lap possible every lap (I always laugh when they go for fastest lap with a couple laps left, like if you did that every lap you might have won the fucking race!!). Oh yeah, the way money is distributed to ensure only 3 teams will ever fight for the champeenships! Did I mention the changing qualifying a few times? Now you have the green world and FormulaE that are adding to the misery.

I mentioned way back early days of the thread that I have a 5TB external HD filled with F1 videos. Pretty much every race from 1978 on, bunch of complete races from before that even, all the Year in Reviews, docus blah blah. From about sometime before 2010 to present, I have pretty much all the practices and qualifying sessions for every race as well. It was a given that I would download all the F1 sessions and store them away on my ext HD like the good F1 autist I am. The last two races, I haven't bothered. No longer care enough to do it. Sad times, but the gold is losing its lustre and the diamonds aren't sparkling any more.

tl;dr-RB should just leave and go into FE cause F1 ain't going to make it for too much longer with all the idiocy and stupidity that goes on off the track.

• Feels
Reactions: Weeb Slinger

New Fag

kiwifarms.net
Don't shoot the messenger on this one! I just saw post on Reddit. I used G to translate from Italian.
tl;dr: Speaks about Mazepin (I mentioned previous post I read rumour of his dad getting him a drive with (or buying) Haas). But interesting dynamic if indeed George was headed to partner Hambone, Claire blocked it, then sold team and now new owners might not be so keen on George with Perez lurking around now that Haas is unlikely. Hard to fathom George in this position. Wonder if the questions will be flying at next race about all this latest gossip/news.

Russell: from the Mercedes dream to the 2021 nightmare​

Of: Roberto Chinchero
15 Oct 2020, 12:57

These are tense days for the Williams driver who in recent days has lost the certainty of being at the start of the next World Championship with the Grove team. To know his future, George will have to wait until the end of October when the intentions of the new ownership of the team interested in Sergio Perez will be known.​

From the dream of a lifetime to the worst nightmare that a driver can experience: the risk of finding himself on foot. All in less than four months, in which George Russell went from being a stone's throw from joining Mercedes to the real risk of not participating in the next Formula 1 World Championship.

In the first days of summer, towards the end of June, Russell was promoted from the top of Mercedes: to the starting role in the 2021 World Championship alongside Lewis Hamilton.

Valtteri Bottas would be helped by Mercedes itself to find a 'B' plan with priority on the Aston Martin project. Then something jammed, and according to rumors gathered in the paddock, the operation was blocked by Williams, who held an option in her favor to keep Russell.

In the midst of negotiations for the sale of the team, Claire Williams wanted to exercise the option in her favor to keep Russell, in fact a valuable asset for the team, despite George having been a Mercedes' junior driver for many years.
Closing in the bud any possibility of transfer of its driver, Williams announced on July 16 the confirmation of George for 2021, six weeks before admitting the change of ownership of the Grove team.

For Russell, the near-term future has become very clear, which is his third season in Williams. Everything seemed to go according to plan until the final days of September, when Nikita Mazepin began evaluating the possibilities of entering Formula 1 in 2021.

The strong candidacy of the Russian driver has shaken a negotiation that seemed to have started to end positively, that is the one between Sergio Perez and Haas, and the Mexican has thus sought a plan 'B', an alternative that a little surprisingly he found in Williams .

The most surprising aspect of this development is that Russell's presence in the team was taken for granted, having a contract announced by the team itself, but due to the change of ownership of the team, the new shareholders could take advantage of the "change of control ”to re-evaluate the contracts previously stipulated by the old owner.

In practice, Russell's seat is anything but solid and if the team decides to focus on Perez, the English driver would have the possibility of finding himself without a steering wheel in the next World Championship.

Nothing appears to have been decided yet, but Russell's autumn will undoubtedly be less clear than early summer's dream.

With many pieces still to be wedged, the driver market could evolve favorably for the English rider without any unwelcome surprises, but a potential risk exists, and at the moment Russell can only passively witness what will happen in the coming days.
SOURCE: https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-russell-dal-sogno-mercedes-allincubo-2021/4892301/
Welley well well that adds a bit of context to what Marzipan said on Russel's social media... the original has been deleted unfortunately.

Bloody Autosport commentators thinking Homophobia...

1602888341342.png

• Thunk-Provoking

LiveFromNS

JIMI
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Wow, that's weird. I don't exactly understand what was said but something's afoot! Williams seat could go to highest bidder. I think Merc provides some incentive to Williams to let GR drive, whether it be engines free, salary or extra cash. If Mazepin's Dad is willing to pay any price to put Nikita in a seat, it's going to be either Haas or Williams. I think Latifi's father has probably paid a huge chunk too, so Merc may have a dilemma if they can't keep GR in a seat for 2021. I think Checo will go to Haas, be a bit of a shock if he or Hulk get a seat at RB. Hulk, with no major backing is most likely out in the cold if indeed Mazepin has purchased a seat.

Interesting times. Kimi is still not signed, I wonder if Mazepin's father would give him a bunch of cash to retire? And would Kimi take it? GR does not deserve to be replaced by NM. I rank him pretty highly, he seems to have a good head and is definitely a great driver. So, assuming RB keep Albon, Perez to Haas, Kimi stays and Mick comes in, that only leaves Williams. If Kyvat is out, it will be Yuki getting the drive, unless he fails miserably in last 2 races. I hope it doesn't play out like that, or else GR will be doing an Ocon2019 next year. Which will be fucking madness.

The crux of all this though, and it ties with my prior comment, F1 is becoming a playground for super-rich men to let their kids play in, which is another blight on the sport.

EDIT-Ok, had a toke and went looking for more shit about this. So, it appears Mazepin-Haas and it is Perez that may be the threat to GR's seat. Here is a French article just found, translated by G. I am going to look and see if I can find anything more about that Mazepin comment too. Will edit if locate anything.

Pérez would threaten Russell's wheel at Williams
By : Roberto Chinchero
Co-author: Basile Davoine
Oct 16, 2020 at 9:36 AM

Williams is reportedly seriously considering the possibility of signing Sergio Pérez for 2021, which would cost George Russell his place.

Surprising as it may sound, George Russell's Formula 1 future could dim considerably: the Williams driver's seat for 2021 would no longer be guaranteed. It seems the Briton will be forced to wait until the end of the month to find out what will happen when the new owners of the Grove team have made their position known.

In less than four months, Russell could go from being very close to a Mercedes steering wheel to going without a steering wheel next year. At the start of the summer, the 22-year-old driver was among the possible candidates to replace Valtteri Bottas in 2021, before the Finn was finally extended by Mercedes . During this period, Claire Williams did everything to keep her driver, relying on the contractual option held by the team for a third year with the protected of the firm to the star. As negotiations to sell the team were launched, Williams wanted to ensure the mid-term presence of a valuable asset. On July 16, the in 2021, claiming that a sale wouldn't change that.

Everything seemed to be going as planned for Russell, until Nikita Mazepin entered the dance of the drivers actively seeking a wheel in F1 for 2021. The profile of the Russian and his significant financial backers disrupted the negotiations which seemed to have started between Sergio Pérez and Haas F1 , the Russian being visibly on the way to securing his place in the American team. As of last weekend, Canal + also announced that the agreement was found. This is what led Pérez to seek a Plan B, which could lead him to Williams.

Ironically, Russell's seat at Grove is anything but insured, even though a contract was announced over the summer. Because the new owners could justify a reassessment of the agreement by the fact that it was concluded before their arrival. In fact, if Dorilton Capital wants to do everything to recruit Sergio Pérez - who also has important sponsors - nothing should prevent it. Russell would then find himself without a solution, the future of Latifi not seeming threatened given his financial contribution.

As of now, nothing seems to have been decided yet, but Russell's position is more fragile than most people wanted to believe. It is not excluded that the transfer market still evolves favorably for him, but the risk is now real ...
SOURCE: https://fr.motorsport.com/f1/news/perez-menacerait-volant-russell-williams/4892695/

Just came across this vid, thought some might enjoy watching an era where balls of steel were the norm for an F1 driver.

Last edited:

Coccxys

kiwifarms.net
It all depends on what the new Williams owners want to be. If they want to be a racing team competing in a sport then they will keep Russel. If they want to be rent a car for all the rich trust fund drivers out there then Russel is shit out of luck and Williams will be another sign of the gangrene that is rotting the sport. Unfortunately since this is a big investment firm I can guess they're probably going for the less palatable option.

Some Hulk based news, he was already on stand by to drive for Red Bull at the Eifel Grand Prix after Albon had an inconclusive covid test. As it was Albon had another and that cleared him to race. Interesting that Hulk was the one they called though.

Screenshot_20201017-072335.png

Another rumour circulating is Gasly to replace Ocon at Renault. Would be a shock that's for certain. That year out was not good for Ocon's career and it doesn't feel like he's made the same impact as he did before but he is being compared against Ricciardo one of the best drivers on the grid so tough one. Would be good for Gasly to vacate the Red Bull program though as I doubt he's going anywhere from here, much like Sainz the only winning move might be to not play when it comes to the Red Bull game.

Screenshot_20201017-074208.png

Last edited:

RomanesEuntDomus

Choke on these nuts
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It all depends on what the new Williams owners want to be. If they want to be a racing team competing in a sport then they will keep Russel. If they want to be rent a car for all the rich trust fund drivers out there then Russel is shit out of luck and Williams will be another sign of the gangrene that is rotting the sport. Unfortunately since this is a big investment firm I can guess they're probably going for the less palatable option.

Some Hulk based news, he was already on stand by to drive for Red Bull at the Eifel Grand Prix after Albon had an inconclusive covid test. As it was Albon had another and that cleared him to race. Interesting that Hulk was the one they called though.

View attachment 1667729

Another rumour circulating is Gasly to replace Ocon at Renault. Would be a shock that's for certain. That year out was not good for Ocon's career and it doesn't feel like he's made the same impact as he did before but he is being compared against Ricciardo one of the best drivers on the grid so tough one. Would be good for Gasly to vacate the Red Bull program though as I doubt he's going anywhere from here, much like Sainz the only winning move might be to not play when it comes to the Red Bull game.

View attachment 1667752
Red Bull is in a good position, but Max is so strong, being his co-driver seems like much too tall an order for ... hell, almost any other driver. So going for another team and hoping they'll come off strong in 2022 is a pretty decent decision.

• Agree

The Grognard

kjeh kjeh räh
kiwifarms.net
I think the best solution for RBR's engine problem is that they buy the rights of the Honda engines on the cheap and find a manufacturing partner for the units who has the experience and know-how of working with high-end racing engines. The only problem for Honda with this plan would be that if the next version of the engine ends up being the best one of the grid, they'll look silly like they looked with Brawn GP that they mostly funded and proceeded to dominate the championship they just left.

Robert Sanvagene

Doing the needful
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Australia not the first? The fuck is this. Also Interlargos is one of the better tracks, it needs putting on there. Just stick Canada in November with the other North American races, go ahead try and warm your tyres up now!
Given that Melbourne is Ground Zero for COVID-19 in Australia, I'm not surprised that the Australian F1GP has been pushed back to October.

The only other realistic option for an Australian F1GP would be The Bend; a track located about an hour out of Adelaide that was opened in 2018. Whilst it's currently at FIA Grade 2 standard, the only things stopping it from being upgraded to Grade 1 relate to debris fencing and runoff areas; two things that The Bend's owners have provisioned for, yet haven't completed as Grade 2 has been sufficient for their needs since the track opened.

For all we know, The Bend might decide to go ahead with the Grade 1 upgrades anyway, as they've already expressed an interest in hosting the 2021 Australian F1GP if Melbourne is a no-go.

• Informative

LiveFromNS

JIMI
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Given that Melbourne is Ground Zero for COVID-19 in Australia, I'm not surprised that the Australian F1GP has been pushed back to October.

The only other realistic option for an Australian F1GP would be The Bend; a track located about an hour out of Adelaide that was opened in 2018. Whilst it's currently at FIA Grade 2 standard, the only things stopping it from being upgraded to Grade 1 relate to debris fencing and runoff areas; two things that The Bend's owners have provisioned for, yet haven't completed as Grade 2 has been sufficient for their needs since the track opened.

For all we know, The Bend might decide to go ahead with the Grade 1 upgrades anyway, as they've already expressed an interest in hosting the 2021 Australian F1GP if Melbourne is a no-go.
Wasn't there talk of Adelaide coming back to replace Melbourne? I thought I heard there was a bit of a struggle between the two promoters over that, much like Rio and Sao Paolo. I never heard about "The Bend" had no clue! Thanks for that informative info. Do you think that track would produce good racing? And what will the weather be like in November? Would that be like early spring for us who live in Northern Hemi?

New Fag

kiwifarms.net
Hmm the Bend is an interesting circuit, looks like an upside down portrait of a cartoon moose character.

The 7.7km GT circuit
1602946923133.png

35! corners, Spa (7km) only has 20. I feel it would be fun to watch a car drive in anger but terrible for overtaking due to how the wake from the car infront through high speed corners screws with the following car.

A Porsche lap with position tracker

But given how F1 likes to have track length of 4 to 6km, only Spa and Monaco are exceptions. They would probably run the International circuit of 4.95km

1602947977635.png

• Informative

Coccxys

kiwifarms.net
More and more rumours around about Russell's future. I wonder what on Earth Merc will do if Williams drop him. Yeah, they can make him reserve driver or something and he can spend the season hoping for rona to get one of the main drivers but Merc's young driver program is a joke with all the young drivers they bring in to essentially Merc feeder teams who are promptly dropped from that team to the end/detriment of their F1 career. Think Pascal Wehrlein, Estaban Ocon and now potentially George Russell. They scooped up a load of good young drivers in the feeder series based on "hey kid, want to drive for the most dominant team by a long way? Great sign here" then had no idea what to do with any of them (arguably Ferrari are going to run into the same wall sooner or later too).

Say what you will about Red Bull's young driver program (and I often do) but at least the ones that excel aren't in danger of being dropped from Alpha Tauri to bring in another pay driver.

The Grognard

kjeh kjeh räh
kiwifarms.net
Russell at least has the pedigree to pretty much go where he wants to be so if he goes to spend a year or two in Indy while either Lewis or Valtteri have their last years, he'll be welcomed back to Merc's primary team.

Yuuichirou Kumada

Second chaddest simp in anime
kiwifarms.net
Just a semi-off-topic rant: It hurts me to see no more Brazilian Grand Prix, no more brazilians on the grid and as of 2021, no more Formula One on free TV.

The sport was on a slow and steady decline since the death of Ayrton Senna down here. Only the true appreciators of the sport remained, and those were dwindling as years went by. Seriously, back in those days people made plans to watch the races on Sunday mornings, plus the qualifying sessions on Saturdays, and Globo (who owned the broadcasting rights since the 70's) preempted other important programs because not only it did smashing ratings, they had Ayrton fucking Senna, the guy they could count on to either win it all or fight it out to the last lap, plus several other up-and-coming brazilians to watch for. And when he won? This glorious piece of music played, and it became synonimous with Ayrton Senna, Formula One and the sweet feeling of victory in general.

You guys don't imagine the absolute tragedy it was to see him fatally crash on live TV, and later spend the rest of the morning glued to the TV on a tremendous anguish to know his health condition, hoping he would be fine. When his death was made official, my grandma and my uncles literally wept as if they had lost a close relative that day, and so did a boatload of people across the country. So important he was to the general psyche of our very battered people that he received a full statesman funeral. Flags at half-mast, body lying in state at the municipal assembly, procession to the graveyard, twenty-one gun salute, official week of mourning, you know the drill. The only thing that boosted our morale was that a couple of months later our national football team would win the World Cup in a most dramatic fashion. The victory theme I posted earlier was also played by the Globo broadcast when the penalty shootout was over , to crown their victory and as a way to wash away the pain that Senna's loss had inflicted to the brazilian people.

Soccer is our bread and butter, and the NT was on a slump since the late 80's, and its failures made it be slightly put aside to help the ascencion of Formula One as a national sport, but that's another story.

But Formula One never recovered. While it still went on air for the subsequent years, it just wasn't the same. Millions literally swore never to watch Formula One again upon seeing their sports hero die. Interest only piqued again when Rubens Barrichello signed for Ferrari and began winning again, but then the Spielberg Screwjob happened and it all went back to sourness. Then came 2008, when Felipe Massa was this close to winning the WDC on home soil, only to lose it at literally the last corner at the last lap. That was the closest I myself ever been to openly cry over sports in my whole life.

As an addendum: Fuck Lewis Hamilton, fuck Timo Glock, and fuck Toyota for building jalopy after jalopy.

And now the people just don't give a crap about Formula One. Races were now the preempted event rather than the other way around, and Globo axed the qualifying sessions due to embarrassingly low ratings, which eventually the races also did. And Globo, once a giant of not only national but global magnitudes (pun mostly intended), can't afford what Liberty Media asks for the broadcasting rights. And if Globo can't afford it, neither can't any of our other TV stations. What a sad end to what once was a matter of national pride.

Sorry for the length. I needed somewhere to get it out of my system.

The Grognard

kjeh kjeh räh
kiwifarms.net
When it comes to Brazilian drivers post-Massa*; Bruno Senna was a bit of a dud though he's found a decent niche as an LMP driver, Felipe Nasr had Banco do Brazil money behind him but it went away after some political thing in 2016ish so he fucked off to USA to become a very good endurance racer and that's about it. There's a rather good kid by the name of Sergio Sette Camara if lucky might end up being the next Brazilian champion assuming he doesn't get thrown off the Red Bull junior programs and gets a good car. Rest are just field filler in junior formulae.

*I consider post-Massa time to be after he got his brain scrambled by a spring, after which he couldn't perform like he used to.

Coccxys

kiwifarms.net
The Glock "mistake" at Brazil was just utter bullshit. Hamilton only won that season because Briatore fixed a race, if that race had been declared null then Massa won.

Tags
None