Funko pops - How are they still a thing?

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
At least from my childhood I remember that collectibles for children were: A. For children. B. Usually done in a few years and replaced with a new collectible product. But I feel like funko pops is already a decade old and doesn't seem to go anywhere. I see fucking stores that have nothing but those plastic soulless abominations so I have to ask, why is it so popular and how any knockoff brands died despite the characters being from multiple studios?

Odnovo

kiwifarms.net
What do you think the chances are that at least one faggot spent his entire stimulus check on those damn things? And if that has happened, how likely would it be that other people had done the same? To what extent? I really wonder how common something like that is in this kind of world, when things that would otherwise be an anomaly or non-viable, are not.

A Cardboard Box

kiwifarms.net
At least from my childhood I remember that collectibles for children were: A. For children. B. Usually done in a few years and replaced with a new collectible product. But I feel like funko pops is already a decade old and doesn't seem to go anywhere. I see fucking stores that have nothing but those plastic soulless abominations so I have to ask, why is it so popular and how any knockoff brands died despite the characters being from multiple studios?
It's like beanie babies or any other collectibles. Do I think they're a weird waste of money? Yeah. Do I sit and ponder the philosophy behind their existence? No.

You ever play New Vegas? Even genius weirdos will have useless collectible trinkets. I don't think about it much.

SSF2T Old User

No Super Combos Necessary
kiwifarms.net
If I ever get FunkoPops it's only because they were birthday/christmas gifts from other people.

I only have 5, which I took out of the box because fuck these things... not worth "officially" collecting. They are all FNAF (Five Nights At Freddys) figures. I got the classic 4 plus one called "Dark Springtrap", which isn't even a canon animatronic, but I guess nobody fucking cares because there are a fuck-ton of unofficial FNAF animatronic figures made by FunkoPop

gooseberry

kiwifarms.net
The one thing Funkos have going for them is the sheer number of franchises and characters that they cover- for many characters, a Funko is the only form of official merchandise you can get. But if a character has other figures there is no reason to get a Funko. No posability or accessories like a jointed figure, no details or interesting posing like a statue. I guess their price makes them an easier impulse buy? Funko collectors are truly the lowest IQ consoomers.

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The sheer number of characters and franchises is impressive but the design is ugly, why's it gotta be this way?

I own a handful of anime figures but I don't own a single Funko Pop, I miss 2000s era "vinyl toys" that were original designs and not just based on memberberries, if you go back and look at some of that shit it still looks cutting edge design wise and it's hard to believe it's all over a decade old.

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They’re ugly as sin and look like something you’d buy out of a 25 cent toy vending machine. I have a few horror figures from McFarlane toys made in the late 90s and those actually have detail to them. I don’t understand why people are so crazy for Funkos.
McFarlane toys stuff, even the old stuff, is very impressive.

I like how we've gone backwards in many ways in the culture, from the detail of McFarlane toys figures to... Funko Pops.