Funko pops - How are they still a thing?

Syaoran Li

White Trash Weeaboo
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
"And he said to them: Thus saith the Lord God of Israel: Put every man his sword upon his thigh: go, and return from gate to gate through the midst of the camp, and let every man kill his brother, and friend, and neighbour. And the sons of Levi did according to the words of Moses, and there were slain that day about three and twenty thousand men."

Remember that when the Hebrews constructed a golden idol to worship, Moses ordered 3,000 of them killed. In a just society the punishment for collecting funko pops would be death

I think you're trying too hard with this whole 17th Century Puritan LARP

Buying Funko Pops is retarded as fuck, but not worthy of the death penalty

ducktales4gameboy

ratatouille is people
kiwifarms.net
I've always had the theory that Funkos serve a purpose as a diagnostic of cancer in a retail store. As soon as a store starts stocking them it indicates the beginning of the slide downhill and when they appear in the clearance section you know the end is near, especially if the host store has little to do with pop culture (e.g. Bed bath and beyond, art stores, fucking Radio Shack even)

My local Michael's is currently in the second phase and it's sort of depressing given it's the only place nearby that stocks art pens.

Cheerlead-in-Chief

BNHA Yaoi is Important...
kiwifarms.net
I've always had the theory that Funkos serve a purpose as a diagnostic of cancer in a retail store. As soon as a store starts stocking them it indicates the beginning of the slide downhill and when they appear in the clearance section you know the end is near, especially if the host store has little to do with pop culture (e.g. Bed bath and beyond, art stores, fucking Radio Shack even)

My local Michael's is currently in the second phase and it's sort of depressing given it's the only place nearby that stocks art pens.
They're also in a Hobby Lobby my mom seems to simp for.

The Lawgiver

We all know what happens to alien spies.
kiwifarms.net

Every chain store near me has had a fucking wall of the things for a while now, even stores that have no fucking reason to sell them. It's never like just a tiny rack, it's always like a huge chunk of Space that could easily be taken up by something more useful. It's less a mark of the company hurting and more a parasite of sorts, like Iphone accessories and Amazon alexas are to stores that are supposed to be for dvds or electronic appliances in general. There's overlap between both of those too. Shit like Best Buy Is now just at least 30% Iphone cases, 40% Amazon Alexas and 12% Funko wall. Space that used to be taken up by Blu rays, camera equipment, or really anything else in general has now been either repurposed to be funko or alexa stocking spaces, or just removed and left as a massive empty void on the floorspace. I've noticed the best buys in my area now seem to be shrinking the video game section to make more room for these fucking things.

There is no reason these things should be so well stocked everywhere at all times at the cost of the reason people actually go to places. I think the most insulting shit with the funko pop/alexa/iphone case cancer is the fact that some places throw them in unrelated sections and never restock on the things they throw them into the sections of as a result. I am 100% convinced the stock of the shit that never goes on the shelves due to this plague get sold off by workers connected to some scalper network, prices for fucking everything have been spiking online as of late, but Funko pops and iphone shit are just fucking everywhere and ready for purchase.

I've been trying to adequately come to a comparison of what this shit reminds me of. The closest thing I can compare this nightmare world plague to is how TV stations used to be varied but like devolved into an unrecognizable homogenous slurry of blatantly scripted reality TV shows, though that only affected a timeslot rather than producing shelfwarming wastes of space.

Smiling Honeybadger

Still not giving a fuck.
kiwifarms.net

See the signs and better start hoarding the art pens as long as it is possible. The "See Through Bing Bong"-guy from Deadwing Dork's video has a whole channel of these Funko Pop hauls. The $14,000 one was the highest the others are usually $2,500 to $6,000. He claims that sells the ones he doesn't want and so evens out on the costs or makes even a slight profit. To buy more Funko Pops.

At least one day when he is dead he can have build a nice Mausoleum made out of Funko Pops in their original packages. A monument to a man's passion for main stream popculture, consumerism, overhyped plastic crap and how you can get really, really retarded over collecting stuff.

I get Funko Pops when you love a particular franchise and want a beady eyed blockheaded figure of Your favourite character. But amassing them, still in their packages -on the off chance they may get really valuable- is so pointless and wasteful to me.

Un Platano

big blatano xDDDD
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Funkos were even there marking the downward spiral of Loot Crate. It never was a great idea to begin with: Pay $30 every month and we'll send you a box full of worthless pop culture crap. Occasionally they'd send a cool t shirt you could wear, but most everything else was plastic crap that would go straight into your big box of worthless junk if not the trash can. Eventually they started including funkos as if they were a big ticket item in every box, and that was the final warning. The company died soon afterwards. Even the most braindead pop culture consumers got tired of it and I'm pretty sure that past the first couple of years they were sustained solely by children who get excited to pull anything out of a box.

Waste of money, waste of plastic, waste of the dignity of everyone involved. Loot Crate couldn't have died out soon enough.

Looking into I was wrong about them dying: They went bankrupt and got bought out by another company. At the time they filed for bankruptcy they were $30 million dollars in debt and also owed $20 million dollars worth of packages that they never sent because they didn't exist and even under new management people are complaining that they aren't receiving their orders. A real shitshow all around. And of course, Funko came out on top of all of this.

Last edited:

DyingStarsForever

kiwifarms.net
Apparently they've made Funkos to promote the new Dune movie. Obviously the movie isn't out yet so it's hard to say what kind of franchise they're hoping for, popcorn action à la Star Wars or something more thought provoking like the books, but even then... could you imagine ever buying a Baron Harkonnen Funko Pop for any reason?

thebaronfunko.png

An genocidal, fat, disgusting, pedophile. The character has even been canceled before by reason of being an over-the-top "homophobic" charicature drawing on the public's fear of HIV/AIDS. Who thinks this is a good idea for a cutesy action figure? Of course I know the answer. They don't. These are just mass produced with the zero consideration.

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Every chain store near me has had a fucking wall of the things for a while now, even stores that have no fucking reason to sell them. It's never like just a tiny rack, it's always like a huge chunk of Space that could easily be taken up by something more useful. It's less a mark of the company hurting and more a parasite of sorts, like Iphone accessories and Amazon alexas are to stores that are supposed to be for dvds or electronic appliances in general. There's overlap between both of those too. Shit like Best Buy Is now just at least 30% Iphone cases, 40% Amazon Alexas and 12% Funko wall. Space that used to be taken up by Blu rays, camera equipment, or really anything else in general has now been either repurposed to be funko or alexa stocking spaces, or just removed and left as a massive empty void on the floorspace. I've noticed the best buys in my area now seem to be shrinking the video game section to make more room for these fucking things.

There is no reason these things should be so well stocked everywhere at all times at the cost of the reason people actually go to places. I think the most insulting shit with the funko pop/alexa/iphone case cancer is the fact that some places throw them in unrelated sections and never restock on the things they throw them into the sections of as a result. I am 100% convinced the stock of the shit that never goes on the shelves due to this plague get sold off by workers connected to some scalper network, prices for fucking everything have been spiking online as of late, but Funko pops and iphone shit are just fucking everywhere and ready for purchase.

I've been trying to adequately come to a comparison of what this shit reminds me of. The closest thing I can compare this nightmare world plague to is how TV stations used to be varied but like devolved into an unrecognizable homogenous slurry of blatantly scripted reality TV shows, though that only affected a timeslot rather than producing shelfwarming wastes of space.
My local Books a Million is at least a third, if not half, a pop culture junk store, including a whole aisle of Funko Pops, then there's blu rays, albums, board games, all of that stuff combined is without a doubt half the store if not the majority of the store as opposed to books, I think it really is actually the majority of the store lol.

Some of the stuff is cool sure but I miss when it was more of an actual bookstore, you have to remember it's not like a Barne's and Noble where there was always a dvds/blu rays/music CDs/albums section, it's not a very big store at all and lot of books got crowded out to make room for all the other stuff.

DoorPost101

Those damn Fortnite kids
kiwifarms.net
Someone in the Consoomer thread mentioned that these things are basically the only acceptable desk toys in some offices. This might be one of the reasons these things are still around.

That would make a lot of sense. At my last job (office job), everyone's desks had these. Rows and rows of Funko Pops. It was funny in that you could tell each Funko was selected by the person to lovingly broadcast their special interests and media loves, but because Funko Pops all look the same, it just looked like you got batch-issued 12 Funko Pops upon getting your cubicle or something.

GhostOfTheCrinoids

kiwifarms.net
Apparently they've made Funkos to promote the new Dune movie. Obviously the movie isn't out yet so it's hard to say what kind of franchise they're hoping for, popcorn action à la Star Wars or something more thought provoking like the books, but even then... could you imagine ever buying a Baron Harkonnen Funko Pop for any reason?

View attachment 2072351

An genocidal, fat, disgusting, pedophile. The character has even been canceled before by reason of being an over-the-top "homophobic" charicature drawing on the public's fear of HIV/AIDS. Who thinks this is a good idea for a cutesy action figure? Of course I know the answer. They don't. These are just mass produced with the zero consideration.
I've been thinking about this for far too long, and I actually can't think of why someone would buy this for themselves.

Unyielding Stupidity

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit?
kiwifarms.net

View attachment 2072351

This is the same company that thought a Princess Diana funko pop was something the world needed.

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Someone in the Consoomer thread mentioned that these things are basically the only acceptable desk toys in some offices. This might be one of the reasons these things are still around.
I can see them making good desk toys ie you don't care much if they get stolen.

L50LasPak

We have all the time in the world.
kiwifarms.net
I'm reminded of something. This is one of those weird coincidences that keep me up at night.

There's a 1993 edutainment game out there called Spelling Jungle or Basic Spelling tricks. Its essentially a puzzle game where the player is given a word, and then they have to pick up stone tablets with the letters on them in the right order before they can leave the level. The game starts off simple enough, but new mechanics are introduced like slippery ground, dangerous animals, objects that block your path, bridges, etc that all have to be managed in a certain way to collect the letters in the required order.

Actually its a pretty difficult game once you make it past level 10 or 12 or so, the puzzle solving gets very complicated and if you ever play it yourself you'll end up wondering how they ever expected little kids still learning to spell to get through the game. Anyway, I bring this up because the game has a strange quirk to it:

Trinket.jpg

The object I zoomed in on is a collectible item literally called a Trinket. If you pick up this item during the level, it goes into your inventory, and you can leave the level with it. If you successfully collect it, the main menu screen has a map of the levels and will show the trinket there as an icon.

That's all it does. You don't get extra points, or a little cutscene, or anything. The game doesn't acknowledge these things at all. And some of them are a pain in the ass to get too, altering the entire order in which you have to do things if you want to get the trinket. Its literally a useless object designed just to fuck with you by tapping into that completionist part of your brain. I know the proportions are rather different, but I'll be damned if that thing doesn't remind me of a Funko Pop. They're both equally useless but inspire the same obessive level of devotion too.

I almost wonder if the trinkets were meant to be a direct criticism of this kind of mindless collector mentality. They're deliberately difficult and frustrating to get, to the point of not being worth your time. Blowing a level because you just had to go for the trinket is almost like a punishment for trying to be an obessive completionist.

Bad Gateway

Oops!
kiwifarms.net
So it finally happened yesterday, I’ve been talking to this girl on a dating app for awhile and yesterday she came over for the first time. Let’s just say we got down and dirty. My favorite Iron Man POP was on the shelf while I was getting some action and I actually looked over at it a few times just to be sure he would be included in the memory. I was already greatly fond of this Pop but I’m feeling a lot more sentimental now that it’s been part of such an incredible experience, I don’t think I could ever get rid of it now. Is there anyone on here who had a similar experience?

What pops do you still have from when you lost your virginity?