Futbol thread.

Yuuichirou Kumada

A Chad by another name
kiwifarms.net
Congratulations to Athletico Paranaense on winning their second Copa Sudamericana.
It was an incredibly boring and stuck game, just so you know.

Also, fuck single-match finals in neutral venues, at least down here. This is not Europe where it's easy to go from country to country and it's relatively accessible to buy tickets for the big event. Most of us here are shit outta luck in terms of money, and with the two-legged finals, they could at least be near their team in those important matches.

Next week, we'll have the Libertadores finals between Flamengo and Palmeiras, and the match will be in Montevideo. Two of the largest fanbases in Brazil, and only the richest of the rich will be able to attend it in person. Fuck that noise.
And if they somehow reach the finals again next year? They'll have to go to fucking Guayaquil in Ecuador to see the match. Just so you know, it's almost 2900 miles between Rio de Janeiro (Flamengo's hometown) and Guayaquil. Imagine the travel expenses, the time it takes to reach there and come back. This bullshit only serves to fill Conmebol's coffers and nothing more. Same shit with the 48-team, twice-a-year World Cup FIFA was desperately trying to pitch.

blahblahblah678

kiwifarms.net
The two legged finals were a way for CONMEBOL to differentiate themselves from a European cup final. Hell that’s an extra game for ticket sales. Oh well.

Hüftpriester

Listen to your body!
kiwifarms.net
Pretty fitting for Donny to score the last goal of the Ole era. Hopefully he gets a chance to show his quality now, what a waste of time for a talented young player these last few years.

Anchors-Away

kiwifarms.net
Newcastle United played woeful against an injury riddled Brentford. Going to be a bizarre winter window for sure.

OJ Simpson

Hey Kiwi World, It's Yours Truly.
kiwifarms.net
Inter vs Napoli was a banger. End to end stuff all game. I felt a draw would have been a more fair result but Inter won't be complaining. And hopefully Osimhen is alright; him and Skriniar had a nasty cranium to face coming together and Osimhen came off looking like he might have broken his orbital or cheek bone. Eye was swollen shut. Regardless, now the race for the Scudetto has been blown wide open.

Only issue today was what's already an endemic part of football, which is the playacting. They should start replacing all the head wraps those players needed today and just switch to diving caps.

divingcap.jpg

chiobu

爪闩尺丂㠪ㄚ
kiwifarms.net
Missed the United match today, but decent result. How was it?

De Gea saved our asses, team was more disciplined than usual and game was pretty boring for the first 60 or so minutes. Bruno and Marcus got subbed in and there was more attacking flow. The 2 goals were off Fred's good pressing!

Ronaldo '78

Sancho '90

One of De Gea's saves

Post Match:

Hüftpriester

Listen to your body!
kiwifarms.net
I feel like every time I've seen a City game this season Bernardo Silva is by far the best player on the pitch. It's hard to believe he was out of favor with Pep and looking for a new club not too long ago.

mikaylatoads

[adult swim]
kiwifarms.net
I feel like every time I've seen a City game this season Bernardo Silva is by far the best player on the pitch. It's hard to believe he was out of favor with Pep and looking for a new club not too long ago.
He's definitely one of their most versatile players, capable of wonderful things.

I'm hoping Chelsea doesn't feel the wrath of United's manager bounce next match.

Yuuichirou Kumada

A Chad by another name
kiwifarms.net
The two legged finals were a way for CONMEBOL to differentiate themselves from a European cup final. Hell that’s an extra game for ticket sales. Oh well.
Here's the thing, though: Back in the day, Libertadores knockout stages had regular ticket pricing. For instance:

entrada semifinal libertadores 91.jpg

They charged 1000 Chilean pesos for the 1991 semi-final match between Colo Colo and Boca Juniors. Back then, it was barely over 5% of the average wage, which meant it wouldn't hurt that much in the common person's pocket. The pricing naturally rose up as time went by, but it never got horribly expensive. Plus, it was guaranteed to be held there on the team's own home turf.

What was the cheapest price for a ticket in this year's Libertadores finals? The equivalent to 300 dollarydoos. Essentially, an entire month of wages for the average joe down here. Multiply that for 60k (Estadio Centenario's expected capacity for the game), add the earnings from the sponsors and broadcasting rights, and you have an idea why Conmebol was eager to imitate UEFA in this regard. Add travel and lodging expenses to go to fucking Montevideo, and there you have it, no filthy proles going there, guaranteed.

LetterlandMafia

Foreclose on me one more time
kiwifarms.net
Here's the thing, though: Back in the day, Libertadores knockout stages had regular ticket pricing. For instance:

View attachment 2750079

They charged 1000 Chilean pesos for the 1991 semi-final match between Colo Colo and Boca Juniors. Back then, it was barely over 5% of the average wage, which meant it wouldn't hurt that much in the common person's pocket. The pricing naturally rose up as time went by, but it never got horribly expensive. Plus, it was guaranteed to be held there on the team's own home turf.

What was the cheapest price for a ticket in this year's Libertadores finals? The equivalent to 300 dollarydoos. Essentially, an entire month of wages for the average joe down here. Multiply that for 60k (Estadio Centenario's expected capacity for the game), add the earnings from the sponsors and broadcasting rights, and you have an idea why Conmebol was eager to imitate UEFA in this regard. Add travel and lodging expenses to go to fucking Montevideo, and there you have it, no filthy proles going there, guaranteed.

I loved South America for that - went to a top of the table clash in the top flight in Chile for $10. Obviously I love it as a tourist but part of what made it such a great experience is it was a full house, and it was a full house because local people could afford it.

Football is in a strange place - a sport that is marketed to people for its atmosphere and draws in a lot of new/foreign fans for its atmosphere, and then proceeds to try and rid itself of the thing that generates the atmosphere for financial reasons.