Careercow Gabrielle "Gabby" Rivera / QuirkyRican / ogfunkbandit / Lunagabby - Racist, failed writer, lesbian propagandist

damian

Not *cough* Zack.
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Bruh:
0B61A5E5-C004-4562-BB1F-A0D18BD59D8D.jpeg

Juliet Milagros Palante is a 19-year-old lesbian, Puerto Rican college student from the Bronx, and she’s just starting to figure out what all that means.

Gabby Rivera’s debut novel, “Juliet Takes a Breath,” follows Juliet as she comes out to her family and heads to Portland, Ore., to intern for her favorite feminist author, Harlowe Brisbane. During her summer away, Juliet learns her hero doesn’t have all the answers, but she meets plenty of other people who help expand her worldview and help her grow.

Rivera, with artist Celia Moscote and colorist James Fenner, will be adapting “Juliet Takes a Breath” into a new graphic novel, Boom! Studios announced Wednesday.

“We’re blasting new energy into the story and lush colors all over the page,” Rivera said in a statement. “Get ready for a Juliet Milagros Palante that’s gayer, chubbier, and more confident than ever before.”

1584658725730.jpeg

Author Gabby Rivera, left, and artist Celia Moscote. (Julieta Salgado, left / Boom! Studios)

The Bronx-born Puerto Rican author is known for her stories centering on queer Latinas. She was the writer of “America,” Marvel’s 2017 comic book series about the queer Latina superhero America Chavez. And Rivera has described her eco-dystopian original comic book series, “b.b. free,” as “a bouncy love letter to queer kids everywhere.”

Originally published in 2016, “Juliet Takes a Breath” is a coming-of-age story that examines how complicated it can be to navigate predominantly white-feminist and queer spaces for someone figuring out their own identity as an out Puerto Rican lesbian. The novel was republished in September 2019 by Penguin Random House.

Moscote, an L.A.-based storyboard artist and illustrator, said they cried when they first read “Juliet Takes a Breath.”

“It’s a story I wish I had when I was first trying to navigate the world,” said Moscote in a statement. “It’s an absolute honor to be able to bring such an amazing cast of characters to life. Family drama, sexual re-awakenings and a bunch of incredibly smart and hot women, what more could you ask for?”

1584658789086.jpeg

The cover for the Gabby Rivera and Celia Moscote’s graphic novel “Juliet Takes a Breath” (not final art).
(Celia Moscote / Boom! Studios)
Added Boom! Studios editor Shannon Watters: “‘Juliet Takes a Breath’ is such an important novel about coming of age and coming out so it’s been a wonderful experience to be able to live in this world and relive this story as we adapt it into a graphic novel.”

The graphic novel “Juliet Takes a Breath,” from Boom! Studios’ Boom! Box imprint, is slated for a November release.

Last edited:

Maggots on a Train v2

new and improved account
kiwifarms.net
Nothing about this cover is attractive or draws you in, it's flat, motionless, dull, and the character is intentionally ugly. It really does amaze me that so many media hipsters don't realize that tumblr isn't real life, >99% of women do not like ugly characters. That cover is more likely to turn regular black people away, maybe even piss them off. They will just see a black woman represented as a hulking ugly potato face.

Senior Lexmechanic

Shitposting displeases the Omnissiah
kiwifarms.net

Syaoran Li

Beware The Walkin' Dude
kiwifarms.net
She really can't inhabit the mind of anyone else, can she? Every character she writes needs to be, essentially, a self-insert. This speaks either to severe narcissism or autism, and I doubt the latter.
Knowing most of the lolcows on here, I wouldn't be surprised if it's probably both.

I remember reading an article a while back about a study that indicated autistic females were more likely to have lesbian or bisexual tendencies, and while most science articles on news sites these days tend to be clickbait, especially when autism or LGBT people are involved, it does sort of make sense in explaining Gabby Rivera.

Gabby's obsession with being a fat queer Latina and her raw guttural misandry and racism comes across less like the typical SJW whining and more like an autistic obsessive fixation, especially when you look at all the self-inserts and other hallmarks of her writing.

I've seen plenty of suburban white college SJW's use made-up words like "Latinx" or "folx" but I have never seen anyone other than Gabby use the word "amigx", not even as a joke.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Finally I get to read the epic adventures of someone getting winded by walking up a slight incline for 1 block around a suburban neighborhood. A real breath taking story.

Totoro is still the fattest fictional character BTW. If you ain't fatter than totoro, you ain't nothing!
totoro.0.jpg

Also they say Hispanic but color them so they look african. Also look that those lips, those ain't Hispanic lips.

Everything they say in the writeup is something you would try and frame edutainment as, and everyone knows edutainment materials were a complete joke. Works of fiction are not teaching aids. They're supposed to be interesting and by having everyone be REAL TOTALLY REAL REALISM doesn't play to the strengths of the comic medium. Just write a fucking normal ass book because you're dealing with the bog standard west coast urbanite as the main character. A machine could shit this character out it's so generic.

Last edited:

Meowthkip

Danny Devito holding a painting of a Sonichu OC
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Also they say Hispanic but color them so they look african. Also look that those lips, those ain't Hispanic lips.
Technically, "hispanic" means "Spanish speaking," as in anybody raised with Spanish being their first language. So, yes, black hispanics exist, as do white ones.

But maybe they went for "Hispanic" because they didn't want to fall into the trap of using "latinx," which is used by next to zero Spanish speakers.

JohnMc

Mr. Karate
kiwifarms.net

Everything they say in the writeup is something you would try and frame edutainment as, and everyone knows edutainment materials were a complete joke. Works of fiction are not teaching aids. They're supposed to be interesting and by having everyone be REAL TOTALLY REAL REALISM doesn't play to the strengths of the comic medium. Just write a fucking normal ass book because you're dealing with the bog standard west coast urbanite as the main character. A machine could shit this character out it's so generic.
Because they are so obsessed with hating anything White. They'd rather color their self-inserts black when they're closer to being White. I had a Colombian Spanish Teacher in College who turned out to be a anti-White BLM supporter [while practically being Whiter than Elizabeth Warren] she filled her social media with anti-white, BLM stuff so I PM'ed reminding her that if she her dream of a White Genocide came true then since she's White she be put against the wall to be executed as well. I was blocked so she didn't like reality slapping her in the face.

Local Coyote

Hey man, got any cats?
kiwifarms.net
It has to be really insulting to black people, brown people, lesbians, and women to just basically be used as a cheap way to get diversity points in writing. If you want praise for your shitty comic or novel just make your protagonist a gay brown or black woman. And don't do it because you want to craft an interesting character or tell a compelling narrative where those traits come into play and cause conflict. Doesn't even matter if it's a wildly offensive stereotype or poorly written, dumpy girls with ugly piercings and they/them pronouns on Twitter will love it.

As much as these morons bleat about representation, they don't seem to give a shit about quality.

It has to be really insulting to black people, brown people, lesbians, and women to just basically be used as a cheap way to get diversity points in writing. If you want praise for your shitty comic or novel just make your protagonist a gay brown or black woman. And don't do it because you want to craft an interesting character or tell a compelling narrative where those traits come into play and cause conflict. Doesn't even matter if it's a wildly offensive stereotype or poorly written, dumpy girls with ugly piercings and they/them pronouns on Twitter will love it.

As much as these morons bleat about representation, they don't seem to give a shit about quality.
Fair play to Gabby, at least she's actually the minority she's making the comic about.

1584814657323.png

1584814705583.png

1584814771569.png

The Littlest Shitlord

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net