Game Disk Problems - AKA autitistic screeching about the degradation of physical media

Notgoodwithusernames

My wife’s boyfriend is my son
kiwifarms.net
Let me tell you a story that should resonate well. Say you have a physical copy of a game for an older console (Either you’ve had this game for some time or you have Recently bought it used. You are in the mood to play this game. However after a couple minutes of attempting to start up the game a dreaded message appears: Disk Read Error. This has become a constant source of frustration for me. In my experience this has never happened with the ps4 and my Nintendo, 3 times with both the of xbox and 360 (The games in question are Morrowwind, Halo 4, and Metal Gear Rising, and about half the time with the ps2.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Oww, my byaaack
kiwifarms.net
Been there with my GameCubes. Poor thing's a dinosaur and it barely reads certain discs.
That's largely because the laser eventually moves out of place and you have to open it up yourself to reset the laser.

I've been wanting to do that myself for a long time but I need to get the official Nintendo Repair shit for it because the system uses unique screws that can't be removed with conventional screwdrivers.

Telomayonnaise

the gh0st of Roddy Piper
kiwifarms.net
Armored Core 3 will boot up for me in the old PS2 once every 8-10 reads, then there's roughly a 40% chance it stops before the intro cinematic, and if I choose to skip that, about a 10% chance of it making it to the title screen, and if I make it THAT far, I can make it ingame but music breaks at the memory card selection, and from there I have not been able to get a mission loaded since 2011 and about 30% of the Arena fights work still. Bury me with both :semperfidelis:.

• Horrifying
Reactions: The Last Stand

Notgoodwithusernames

My wife’s boyfriend is my son
kiwifarms.net
Been there with my GameCubes. Poor thing's a dinosaur and it barely reads certain discs.
Really because of the three sixth gen consoles for me Gamecubes been the most reliable

PS2 30001 models are pretty notorious for those disc issues. Had one a few years back and it would only read CD games if I flipped the console on its back. I have a 39001 and its a champ. Never had issues.
OK How can I tell the difference?

tehpope

Archivist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
At least Optical Drive Emulators are pretty plentiful now of days. I think every major system has one or has ways to play games without a disc drive. The latter for Sony and MS' 6th/7th gen systems.

The Wii is even better because it has homebrew like Nintendont. The main feature is allowing the system to run Gamecube ISOs from the USB port or SD card slot. It also works with real discs too. It also allows the system to play Gamecube games with Wii enhancements. Like being able to use the classic controllers instead of GC controllers, the ability to play games with HID usb controllers (PS2/3/4, maybe Xbox 360), virtual memory cards, force 480p without swiss, in game reset, Broadband Adapter Emulation.

The video output on the Gamecube is better than the Wii. Most people can't tell the difference. But they do exist. The gamecube does allow people to play the gameboy library with the Game Boy player. It does lack Super Gameboy stuff, but its not that big of deal. And if you have roms, mGBA is really fucking good and has a native port to GC/Wii.

Why Nintendo removed that, I don't know.

What I most despised about Xbox 360s, the slightest vibration will leave a circular scratch on your disk.
They removed it because Nintendo realized normies didn't use it all that often. And it would save Nintendo a few bucks by not including the ports.

OK How can I tell the difference?
The sticker on the back / side will list the model number. It starts with SCPH. The 39001 look like 30001. The 5000X are a bit better to spot out. They lack the IEEE 1394 port next to the usb ports and have an IR port instead. They're just as good as 39001. Online, you can just search the number on places like ebay. If the listing doesn't show it, see if the seller include photos of the back. Or ask them fot the SCPH number.

Last edited:

Dialtone

Molgoth, God of menial tasks
kiwifarms.net
I had to go digging through old forum posts for this, and it might sound crazy, but it works on some discs for the PS2 (namely blue backed CDs, you could try it with your XBOX also) if you layer 2 strips of masking tape on top of each other on each side of the disc as pictured below it might run. I used this method for my disc and it worked 100% every time, give it a shot.
20200730_190458.jpg
The PS2 I am using is a 3000 model

TaimuRadiu

Kaiserin
kiwifarms.net
I had to go digging through old forum posts for this, and it might sound crazy, but it works on some discs for the PS2 (namely blue backed CDs, you could try it with your XBOX also) if you layer 2 strips of masking tape on top of each other on each side of the disc as pictured below it might run. I used this method for my disc and it worked 100% every time, give it a shot.
View attachment 1485013
The PS2 I am using is a 3000 model
Just get SwapMagic and install Free McBoot, install games on a USB drive run from there, I've never had that bad of problems from doing so

I think there's even an easier kind of exploit now for the PS2, but I don't know what it is.

Dialtone

kiwifarms.net
Just get SwapMagic and install Free McBoot, install games on a USB drive run from there, I've never had that bad of problems from doing so

I think there's even an easier kind of exploit now for the PS2, but I don't know what it is.
There is a way to load the games onto a hard drive using an adapter, it's better explained in this video
and here's a link to a table showing compatible hard drives that can be used

• Informative
Reactions: Telomayonnaise

moogetrooget

Fuck it all
kiwifarms.net
My gamecube died recently. Some games were particularly bad where the background music's instruments would be replaced with this ungodly static sound, and the whole screen would get all glitchy and shake, before giving the generic "An error has occurred" message. Put the disk in my Wii and it ran perfectly fine, so it's deff the gamecube.

Dialtone

kiwifarms.net
That's largely because the laser eventually moves out of place and you have to open it up yourself to reset the laser.

I've been wanting to do that myself for a long time but I need to get the official Nintendo Repair shit for it because the system uses unique screws that can't be removed with conventional screwdrivers.
This is a really ghetto solution, but depending on how tight the screws are, you can take a lighter and heat up a cheapo BIC pen and press on the screw to imprint it and use the pen as a makeshift screwdriver.

Billy_Sama

♂Love and Muscle in Heaven♂
kiwifarms.net
At least Optical Drive Emulators are pretty plentiful now of days. I think every major system has one or has ways to play games without a disc drive. The latter for Sony and MS' 6th/7th gen systems.
Those are pretty great. It gives life to old CD unit systems that the CD laser failed. I am expecting physical video game media to move from disc based media in the coming decade since card based media is starting to hold much data as a disc and less moveable parts.

Tags
None