Game of Thrones Thread -

Stoneheart

kiwifarms.net
This is true only depending on the army and time period in question. A general rule is that most medieval sieges (since the show most accurate reflects the high middle ages) ended with the city surrendering without a breach
most of the time the city just paid some money and was never sieged. citys normaly didnt have good walls or alot of people willing to defend them.
they just didnt cared alot who would own the city because city rights werent different under different lords.
Castles on the other hand were alot better defended by people who cared.

Silent Observer

Some randy
kiwifarms.net
This picture is definite fap material. Thanx for posting.

This is really the what's wrong with the GOT debacle-what's the point? Good people get fucked over? They can become bad? Bad people are rarely punished? Innocents suffer in wars? Things don't always work out for the best? I don't need a schlocky sci-fi tits and ass series of novels and I didn't need to watch a television series over nine years to tell me that.
Nigga, what kind of redneck bubba gump wannabe macho man bullshit are you talking about? You think I'm mad that the show has nihilistic themes? Do you know how many good shows, such as The Wire, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Sons Of Anarchy, the Shield, deal with nihilism, and yet don't have horrible OOC writing like GOT?

TV is escapism, so is most fiction. Maybe if the Fat Man served in Vietnam and D&Dd were forced to go to Iraq we wouldn't have had this gratuitous war is hell bullshit/shit is fucked up garbage shoved at us in the most plebeian manner.
LOL, wut? You talk about plebs, yet you also talk about serving in Nam/Iraq, both pointless wars that plebs were forced to fight in. If you don't like fiction and find it too immature, and think that war will make you the manly man you want to be, go join the military and get your head blown off by a Desert Mormon, and leave the rest of us plebs here to live and criticize bad TV in peace.

In fairness, the Unsullied are one of the most exceptional things ever put to paper in the entirety of the fantasy genre, doubly so for a story with any pretensions of realism. Add to that the fact that George "I don't like good guys and bad guys" Martin made the Masters so cartoonishly evil that I'm actually insulting many of the complex, nuanced cartoon villains by comparing them to the Masters. For me, trying to slot them into any kind of realistic scenario just returns a massive DOES NOT COMPUTE.
I always wondered about the Unsullied: Wouldn't castrating them as boys destroy testosterone production, thus ensuring that they never gained muscle mass and stayed twinks their whole lives? I can't imagine an army of twinks being effective

Last edited:

Lemmingwise

Merry Christmas Kiwis
kiwifarms.net
One of the worst things about the abysmal failure of setting up Daenerys's evil turn is that, retroactively, every single character who believed in her, fought for her, idealized her, worshipped her, is now a total fucking idiot.

Daario Naharis? A cuntstruck idiot. Jorah Mormont? A cuntstruck idiot whose redemption arc is arguably even more trashed than Jaime Lannister's, since he devoted his life to the Westerosi Hitler. Missandei? A misled airhead with zero judgement of character. Barristan Selmy? A washed up old fool who died fighting for someone who wound up making Joffrey look like Captain Kangaroo
I really think Jorah Mormont was cast badly. In the book it's big ugly strong guy. You could see how he would obsess over his waifu in the friendzone, and also why he would be convinced by his wife to sell slaves.

IMG_20190515_131117.png

I think the music is somewhat at fault, being always sentimental after the threatening part of it is done.

But if you look at the facts...

Season 1 Dany: Threatens to take over an entire nation
Season 2 Dany: threatens to burn entire cities to the ground (qarth wouldn't have been as vulnerable to a coup if they had let her die outside of the gates)
Season 3 Dany: burns the slavemasters alive after doing a deal with them. Is offered the ships she was after, but refuses. Conquers two cities, crucifies many of the defeated.
Season 4 Dany: more threats of fire and blood
Season 5 Dany: more threats of fire and blood
Season 6 Dany: burns all the dothraki khals alive.
Season 7 Dany: more fire and blood, burns the food caravans and house tarly
Season 8 Dany: wait why does she burn a city to the ground!?

Missandei was a slave, who is bound to be stockholmed. Daario was a fool in any case, murdering his bloodbrothers for the favour of an enemy.

Both actors are great and did well, it just destroyed Jaime's earlier characterization (why fuck Brienne at all if he actually cared for her?)
He tried to be good, but Brienne's fuckgame was so weak it made him turn back.

I think it was played rather badly, but I think the story itself, a subversion of a redemption arc, is actually pretty interesting. But him saying deadpan he never cared for the little people? Completely offtone; it would have made more sense if he said it trying to convince himself he's bad to have an excuse to go back to cersei.

Slimy Time

When you see the presents under the tree
kiwifarms.net
3 Minutes of the Game of Thrones Cast Being Disappointed by Season 8

Highlights:
  • Emilia Clark outright laughing and then sarcastically saying "best season ever!" when questioned about whether she's happy with how things ended
  • Kit Harington literally saying the last season is "disappointing"
I really do feel bad for the actors. They put their hearts and souls into their characters and it ended up like... this.
When you heard stories of Emilia Clark walking around London for 2-3 hours in a fog because of how it ended...it becomes believable given how shockingly bad things turned out. Kit doesn't give a fuck at this point. Show is done, he's done with it, he gets to go home and bang his wife from a better season.

Lemmingwise

Merry Christmas Kiwis
kiwifarms.net
Last edited:

Feline Supremacist

I am a Dog-Exclusionary Radical Felinist
kiwifarms.net
LOL, wut? You talk about plebs, yet you also talk about serving in Nam/Iraq, both pointless wars that plebs were forced to fight in. If you don't like fiction and find it too immature, and think that war will make you the manly man you want to be, go join the military and get your head blown off by a Desert Mormon, and leave the rest of us plebs here to live and criticize bad TV in peace.
I've served and war didn't make me a man. Not that have any desire to be one.

notaman.gif

Feline Supremacist

I am a Dog-Exclusionary Radical Felinist
kiwifarms.net
That's good for you, I hope you made the Desert Mormons suffer. Still doesn't explain why you think fighting in pointless wars would make better authors.
Stop trying to be clever, call them sandniggers like everyone else. And yeah, actual life experience tends to produce better writers. Tolkien served in WWI and was at the Battle of the Somme, probably the most pointless battle in an extraordinarily stupid war. He went on to write the defining work of what's called high fantasy.

Silent Observer

Some randy
kiwifarms.net
Stop trying to be clever, call them sandniggers like everyone else. And yeah, actual life experience tends to produce better writers. Tolkien served in WWI and was at the Battle of the Somme, probably the most pointless battle in an extraordinarily stupid war. He went on to write the defining work of what's called high fantasy.
Excuse me? I'm going to call them Desert Mormons because that's what they are. You can call them whatever you want. And as far as your point about life experience.....that's absolutely true. GRRM is lazy AF and perhaps some military service would give him the ambition to actually finish his novels. That being stated, even without military service, he did a pretty damn good job crafting his world. Matter of fact, his story has the potential to be better than LOTR, provided he ever completes it.

Last edited:

Spatula

delete your twitter.
kiwifarms.net
But if you look at the facts...

Season 2 Dany: threatens to burn entire cities to the ground (qarth wouldn't have been as vulnerable to a coup if they had let her die outside of the gates)
Season 3 Dany: burns the slavemasters alive after doing a deal with them. Is offered the ships she was after, but refuses. Conquers two cities, crucifies many of the defeated.
When you consider these people were all criminals, terrible people, or POW that refused a life sentence(taking the black), her 180 psychosis makes less sense.
I would have loved to see a greek tragedy, a fallen tragic hero, but we were robbed of that with Daenerys, because they had to wrap it up.

verissimus

kiwifarms.net
D&D set her up as a heroine with a special destiny in these scenes. What is missing are the scenes that depict her flaws, a lack of humility and understanding of limitations, the display of hubris that foreshadows downfall.
I disagree with the latter. Yes, they leaned far more heavily on her being a heroine than a villain, but Danaerys even up to even season 8 still had a petulant/impulsive, uncompromising, and obsessive side to her. Granted she was beforehand often tempered either by those around her, or as others have noted elswhere, by some kind of moral compass to the common man in the case where 2 of her dragons went wild, but apparently as the memes goes, the writers kind of forgot about the character's past behavior. They simply had her turn just because they wanted a tragic ending instead of easing us into it which they had done before. It's also pretty insulting (mind you this character has been one of my least favorite characters in the show well before this season) that they would even think of doing this to a character they had been building up for 8 seasons and who we knew awhile ago would help Jon and the rest fight the White Walkers.

Simply put, the execution was terrible, the idea to make her the villain not so much.

Edit : Yeah, I also agree with the whole thing about how all the characters who looked up to her and died for her have also been betrayed as well except Missandei. I think she wouldn't have given a crap if Danaerys burned the city to the ground before or after she was queen.

Last edited:

Mola Ram

Self Righteous Ego Bastard Asshole
kiwifarms.net
I understand Daenerys always had the potential to go apeshit and be the ultimate villain of the story. The problem, as so many people are pointing out, is the execution. A lot of the things on your list are mere rhetoric: who cares if she threatens to burn cities to the ground if she never actually did it? The first season example is particularly unconvincing: "the Stallion Who Mounts the World" was a pure Khal Drogo idea, and as time went on, Dany seemed to understand that Drogo was an impulsive hothead who never would have made a decent ruler, even if she still cherished his memory. The people she actually kills were, at least arguably, guilty of terrible crimes themselves. Still, these examples do lay the groundwork for the possibility of her going overboard someday. The problem is the counterexamples were always presented much more thoroughly as more indicative of her character: the trial for her ex-slave advisor whose execution caused a riot, locking up her dragons for the death of a single shepherd girl, the warm moments between her and Barristan Selmy when he reminisces about what a kindly man Rhaegar was (that last clearly reflected when Jon mentions he does not enjoy killing -- you can practically see her fall for him in that moment).

I think Martin's goal -- and I haven't read the books, so grain of salt and all -- was to depict the creation of a fantasy villain from relatively innocent beginnings to a tragic, crushing fall from grace. That's super interesting and could have been heartbreaking if done correctly. But the show put so much focus on Daenerys's sympathetic side, and cast her actions in such a righteous light (or at least in a gray area), that the decision to indiscriminately massacre the largest city in Westeros (it's fucking burnt flat! the death toll might well be in the hundreds of thousands) really does seem against her character -- as if she's learned nothing from what she's gone through in the last eight seasons. Which, really, seems to be the problem with most of the characters in the final act. Everyone is regressing to our initial impression of them.

What's missing, I think, is a scene or preferably a series of scenes where Dany reflects on her attempts to be a just ruler and how it never really worked out -- all she got was revolution and civil unrest, slowly coming to dismiss the successes she had and rationalizing that even those would never happen in Westeros because the people didn't accept her. The arc of her story after finally arriving in Westeros was just fuckup after fuckup, but every bit of it seemed to be due to the bad advice of her councilors rather than the methods she employed in Essos not working. It could have become something absolutely chilling if she drew the conclusion that slaves are worth saving but free people are not, since in their freedom they make the wrong choices (i.e., not loving Daenerys Targaryen).

All of this needed more episodes than they allotted. That'll be the ultimate conclusion, most likely: Game of Thrones failed because they tried to wrap it up too soon and too hastily.

verissimus

kiwifarms.net
You know, now that I think about it, why didn't the show writers think to combine parts of season 5 and 6 together with regards to the fight for the north? That is bypass the stupid bullshit about Jon having to stay in the wall while Stannis pisses off to fight the Boltons pretty much for his family's behalf. I mean, I'd have to go back to see how exactly they would have to cover all their bases, but you'd think that would have been the optimum thing to do in terms of time left remaining in the show especially considering Jon just does what Stannis tried to do anyway a season later. They could have also just as well given Stannis a decent sending off if he died in battle side-by-side so to speak with Jon.

It's all so stupid especially in the case of the absolutely meaningless "we can't take Kings Landing right now" bit in season 7. What's the difference in not doing that then and there when 1) that's the most logical thing for the characters to do, 2) you're going to have the characters do this anyway, and 3) this gives you more time to give the show a tragic ending, but no, we have to rush things now because we clearly procrastinated before.

Last edited:

StarkRavingMad

kiwifarms.net
Personally, I have been wanting a Daenerys villain arc for years now. Yet, this past episode was absolutely pathetic.

It's simply not enough to say that "Dany has had people executed before!" Do we forget that Jon Snow literally had a child executed after he was brought back to life? ALL leaders in GoT have had people executed. Does everyone forget that Ned Stark even professed that all good leaders should be the ones to carry out the executions they order? Nobody has accused any of the Starks of "going mad," though.

The problem with Dany's turn isn't just that it was rushed; it's that it was done in a way that makes everything unintentionally hilarious. "The BELLS triggered her. Missande being killed, of ALL people, was the straw that broke the camel's back!" LOL.

EDIT: Also ... The episode made it seem like Dany not getting the D from Jon that one night was also a trigger for her. Hilarious.

Mola Ram

Self Righteous Ego Bastard Asshole
kiwifarms.net
You know, now that I think about it, why didn't the show writers think to combine parts of season 5 and 6 together with regards to the fight for the north? That is bypass the stupid bullshit about Jon having to stay in the wall while Stannis pisses off to fight the Boltons pretty much for his family's behalf.
The whole Stannis storyline after Blackwater feels like this weird digression that ultimately goes nowhere. He saves the Night's Watch and crushes the Wildling invasion, but at no point did he ever seem like a serious contender for the endgame. The dreary existence he led from his defeat at King's Landing really only seemed to be there to make sure Melisandre was there at the right moment to resurrect Jon.

t's all so stupid so stupid especially in the case of the absolutely meaningless "we can't take Kings Landing right now" bit in season 7. What's the difference in not doing that then and there when 1) that's the most logical thing for the characters to do, 2) you're going to have the characters do this anyway, and 3) this gives you more time to give the show a tragic ending, but no, we have to rush things now because we clearly procrastinated before.
What makes the whole Season 7 delay in attacking KL even more ridiculous in retrospect is that when Daenerys actually does attack the city, she conquers it with minimal loss of life, two fewer dragons, and a massively reduced army ... in less than ten minutes. Why did she wait?‽

iRON-mAn

kiwifarms.net
You know, now that I think about it, why didn't the show writers think to combine parts of season 5 and 6 together with regards to the fight for the north? That is bypass the stupid bullshit about Jon having to stay in the wall while Stannis pisses off to fight the Boltons pretty much for his family's behalf.
They did it that way because that's how it happens in the books, and D&D probably reveled at an opportunity to kill off Stannis.

Zero0

kiwifarms.net
The person on the throne should be someone we like and is a good ruler, that would have made Dany trying to conquer westeros actually morally ambiguous, the people wouldn't support her, the other kingdoms wouldn't support her and she would go apeshit and burn things down.

IMO it would work better that way.

Stab You in the Back

kiwifarms.net
I think Martin's goal -- and I haven't read the books, so grain of salt and all -- was to depict the creation of a fantasy villain from relatively innocent beginnings to a tragic, crushing fall from grace.
Book Dany is a thirsty 16 year old who fell in love with a pirate with a neon blue beard. It makes a lot more sense when she goes ham on people because that's what you'd expect from a hormonal 16 year old who learned everything she knows about how to rule from her brother Viserys.

Sexy, sexy Daario.
Daario_Heads.jpg

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino