Game of Thrones Thread -

darkhorse816

WOOF!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Also some more thoughts on AFFC, sorry if it sounds like a thesis essay. I just kind of want to gather my thoughts.

The Dorne plot is so much better! The Sand Snakes are fun characters, each given a different personality and way of handling their father's death. I love Arianne. So one of the themes I noticed was the idea of women in power: you have Cersei, Arianne, and Asha. All three women want power.

Cersei is desperately clinging onto it, and willing to do anything to keep it. However, Cersei also is an idiot, and doesn't care how many people she hurts, and how many important relationships she breaks. She doesn't care about the kingdom, she cares about herself. As well, she's a total hypocrite--she hates misogyny when it's directed at her, but she spews it out towards other women who are ambitious who she doesn't like. So when Cersei gets taken prisoner at the end I was like "fuck yeah, bitch".

Arianne, like Cersei is afraid of losing power, but unlike Cersei she lives in Dorne and was allowed to be powerful, ambitious. Poor girl is afraid of it all going away, and her brother becoming the Prince of Dorne instead of her. And she feels bad because she thinks she did something wrong to upset her father. But she also wants vengeance too. Like Cersei she uses her body, but she plays the long seduction game. Unlike Cersei, she also has friends, legitimate friends. And she doesn't want to hurt anyone in order to seize the throne (except the Lannisters because fuck them--well some of them). So I was really sad when her plan fell apart.

Asha, unlike Cersei and Arianne is more masculine and doesn't adhere to Westeros's gender roles (although Arianne's attitude towards sex doesn't adhere to it either. Both Arianne and Asha are very cavalier about sex, they enjoy it, it's a wonderful thing for them). And Asha legitimately cares about the Iron Islands, and, let's face it, is the best choice to sit on the Salt Throne. Victarion's dull, and Euron is insane. Asha cares about the good of her people and is the most down to earth, she's aware of the realities of war, of what they fought so hard to gain (fucking pinecones!). Also I love her, she's so much fun. Unfortunately, the Iron Islands suck, Euron has a horn, so she can't be queen. So she runs away, which is a smart move because Euron is fucking insane.

Anyway, out of those three, who is your favorite? Cersei, Arianne, or Asha?

Spellskite

kiwifarms.net
Also some more thoughts on AFFC, sorry if it sounds like a thesis essay. I just kind of want to gather my thoughts.

The Dorne plot is so much better! The Sand Snakes are fun characters, each given a different personality and way of handling their father's death. I love Arianne. So one of the themes I noticed was the idea of women in power: you have Cersei, Arianne, and Asha. All three women want power.

Cersei is desperately clinging onto it, and willing to do anything to keep it. However, Cersei also is an idiot, and doesn't care how many people she hurts, and how many important relationships she breaks. She doesn't care about the kingdom, she cares about herself. As well, she's a total hypocrite--she hates misogyny when it's directed at her, but she spews it out towards other women who are ambitious who she doesn't like. So when Cersei gets taken prisoner at the end I was like "fuck yeah, bitch".

Arianne, like Cersei is afraid of losing power, but unlike Cersei she lives in Dorne and was allowed to be powerful, ambitious. Poor girl is afraid of it all going away, and her brother becoming the Prince of Dorne instead of her. And she feels bad because she thinks she did something wrong to upset her father. But she also wants vengeance too. Like Cersei she uses her body, but she plays the long seduction game. Unlike Cersei, she also has friends, legitimate friends. And she doesn't want to hurt anyone in order to seize the throne (except the Lannisters because fuck them--well some of them). So I was really sad when her plan fell apart.

Asha, unlike Cersei and Arianne is more masculine and doesn't adhere to Westeros's gender roles (although Arianne's attitude towards sex doesn't adhere to it either. Both Arianne and Asha are very cavalier about sex, they enjoy it, it's a wonderful thing for them). And Asha legitimately cares about the Iron Islands, and, let's face it, is the best choice to sit on the Salt Throne. Victarion's dull, and Euron is insane. Asha cares about the good of her people and is the most down to earth, she's aware of the realities of war, of what they fought so hard to gain (fucking pinecones!). Also I love her, she's so much fun. Unfortunately, the Iron Islands suck, Euron has a horn, so she can't be queen. So she runs away, which is a smart move because Euron is fucking insane.

Arianne has some real interesting character development. I love how she goes from having a very vague understanding of what it will mean to rebel against the crown to realizing that her actions have serious consequences. Everything seems to be setting her up in the direction of learning to be very mindful of the bigger picture, and I like how she's starting to really observe people and find out how to get them on her side. She's shaping up to have a cool role in the 6th book when that comes out in twenty years.

The neat thing about all three of these characters is that they're all interesting. Cersei is a horrible person but its kind of fascinating to see her thought process and her decision making. Her chapters have some of my favorite moments too, like Kevin blowing her the fuck out.

Ultimately though, Brienne is my favorite POV character in AFFC, her journey is really cool and full of memorable people and places. I hope Asha doesn't die soon, I always get nervous when too many POV characters gather in one location.

Pikimon

Exceptionally Overachieving Mexican
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So finished A Feast for Crows.
Who do you think Margaery's Moon Tea is for? Was she using it on herself? Or on one of her ladies or cousins?

Also, with regards to the show and the book.

I've noticed one the show and in the books, the legitimate Stark children/ones who matter (sorry Rickon) are starting to resemble the Lannisters. Sansa is becoming a smarter version of Cersei. Bran and Tyrion have a lot of parallels (Tyrion is a dwarf, Bran is a cripple. Tyrion is intelligent, Bran knows everything), and then, through reading the books, I've noticed an interesting parallel between Arya and Jaime, both being the middle children in the family. They are both killers who are walking a moral tightrope. But GRRM did some interesting things in Jaime's chapters in AFFC. Jaime is repeating the names of the men who Tyrion alleged Cersei slept with, much like Arya's list she repeats in her head. He also refers to his sword practicing with Ilyn Payne as "dancing" much like Arya's "dancing" when she practices. Except Arya doesn't want to bang Sansa.
It could possibly be for one of her handmaidens

darkhorse816

WOOF!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I love doing this.

You are the king or queen of Westeros. Pick your ideal small council made up of characters either dead or alive.

Hand of the Queen: Tyrion, duh.
Lord Commander of the King's Guard: Jamie Lannister. Based off of the books, he's really good at his job. Or Brienne because she's awesome, and would take her vows seriously.
Master of coin/Master of ships: Davos Seaworth. Davos is good with ships, and, growing up in Flea Bottom he knows how to live frugally. I was going to choose Asha/Yara to be Master of Ships but I need her in Pyke because she's the most qualified to rule.
Master of Whisperers: Ideally it would be Brynden Rivers or Bran Stark, but Brynden's stuck in a tree at the moment and Bran sounds like he is tripping balls lately, so Varys because he's awesome too.
Grand Maester: Aemon Targaryen. I'd choose Sam but I think he's given up on the maesters.
I don't know who I'd choose for master of Laws, maybe Arya or Sansa. Or Lyanna fucking Mormont.

Sable

DANGEROUSLY WELCOMING IN THE NEW YEAR
kiwifarms.net
I love doing this.

You are the king or queen of Westeros. Pick your ideal small council made up of characters either dead or alive.
I mean, Tyrion is actually a pretty awful choice as hand. His defence of the city worked alright thanks to both Cersei and Tywin, but he spent most of his time dicking Shae and thinking he was aweseome.

Honestly Tywin's a better choice as the good things that happened under Aerys were pretty much his doing, and there are still better choices for hand.

Like Septon Barth, that guy was a boss.

If you can choose dead people, Corlys Velaryon would be a pretty good master of ships.

For master of laws, Stannis would be a pretty good choice, the wanker's pretty uncorruptable by Westerosi standards.

Master of coin? Literally anyone that isn't Littlefinger.

friedshrimp

uwuu
kiwifarms.net
I'd like Davos as my hand, since he's basically a smarter Ned. Has a sense of morality but understands he must take a practical choice every now and then.

Not Arya as Master of Laws though. She sorta got a little obsessed with the revenge thing and would order actual innocents to kill, and that ain't good.

Your Weird Fetish

Intersectional fetishist
kiwifarms.net

Cersei's slow meltdown across the most recent books is an awesome character study surpassed only by Theon's arc. No contest for me.

As for Asha
WINDS OF WINTER SPOILERS
Aeron thinking about Asha hit me right in the feels. He actually thought she was the best choice, he just knew the Ironborn would never allow it and was terrified of Euron winning the crown. For good reason.

Arianne...I get what they're going for there, but I think her chapters could have used a bit more stringent editing. They drag in places.

Reactions: darkhorse816

darkhorse816

WOOF!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Finished a Dance with Dragons

e
My favorite POV would be Barristan Selmy's because that guy's a fucking boss! I like him because he's been there since before Robert's Rebellion, he kicks butt, and I'm pissed the show decided to kill him off. I liked Asha's chapters as well. I loved the reveal with Mance Rayder (damn you show for killing him off too!) I loved the chapter with Cersei's walk of atonement. It's a shame the show didn't show her resorting to scampering on all fours. As for Quentyn's chapters, I've never felt so much cringe for a character. Poor Frog Prince.

_blank_

The Charles Dickens of Disco
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Debating whether to buy HBO Go for a couple of months for this or wait for the eventual episode leaks like last season. I don't mind spending all of like $20-$30 on this (whatever HBO Go is now monthly), but at the same time last season just felt too... contrived, I guess that's about as succinct as I can put it.

StarkRavingMad

kiwifarms.net
The series succumbed to catering to the lowest common denominator. Season 7 was more than proof of that.

I seriously think the show started its slope in quality after the Purple Wedding. The show has had some GREAT moments here and there since, but it has also had moments of freaking garbage writing.

The Season 7 finale was garbage, aside from the cool stuff that's happening with the White Walkers. They totally should not have killed off Littlefinger ... At least in the incredibly dumb way that they did. You could just tell that the writers were jerking themselves off with that scene, knowing full and well that they thought they were making a moment where people would go "OHHHHHHHH SNAP!"

That said, there are definitely worse shows to watch, and I will most definitely be checking out how this all ends, but I think the quality of this series fell under the weight of its own popularity.

Anyway, my absolute favorite character is Cersei. She is such a wretched, evil, interesting, and fabulous character. I know there's approximately zero chance she'll survive, but damn ... I'm rooting for her at this point. IDGAF what people think.

darkhorse816

WOOF!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think they needed to kill off Littlefinger to make way for the final antagonists in a shorter 8th season. The scars he caused, however, are still there.

I actually enjoyed season 7. I was on the edge of my seat. You have an antagonist as volitile as Cersei teaming up with Euron Greyjoy, a man who cut out his crew’s tongues so he could get some quiet, some unresolved tension still going on between Arya and Sansa, and you have Dany who might be losing it.

And as for season 8 being boring with just one big battle, we do have Theon’s rescue of Yara to look forward to, which is bound to be action-y. And possibly Cleganebowl.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino