Gamergate III: Rise of the Machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cubanodun

D is for Doomposter
kiwifarms.net
There's actually also a lot of Metroid Fans who are psyched about that over the prospect of world-building via that title, since its mere existence also means that Other M is non-canon.

so Other M is that bad huh? im playing through all the Metroids right now, i'm now in Prime 2 (Finished Zero Mission, Super Metroid and Metroid Prime 1) going to download the Jap version because people were telling me that the dub is horrible and that version has superior japanese voice acting

Also is funny that Nintendo want to make a game about characters that are Red Shirt Army in every single metroid game i have played

f997bb4170.jpg

Sallet Lad Jim

Sallet Dressing
kiwifarms.net
There's actually also a lot of Metroid Fans who are psyched about that over the prospect of world-building via that title, since its mere existence also means that Other M is non-canon.

That'd just be the icing on the cake for me. I'm a huge fan of co-op shooters so Federation Force actually looks really good.

Can definitely understand the outrage though.

Ponderous Pillock

Welcome to Triple T, Tards, Troons and Trolls!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Wait, so the wheelchair bound dude with brittle bone disease raped someone according to some weird as fuck shitposter?

Can't decide if hilarious or fucking lunacy....

Jaimas

H O N K
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What about the new Metroid game means that Other M isn't canon?

Right there in the title, my friend.

cIF7OZk.jpg

It's a Prime-series game, so it's in the same canon as the three Prime games and Hunters. That means Other M declaring the previous Prime games non-canon is now invalid since Prime is the series going forward. Whatever your problems with the Prime series is, it can be made to fit a solid narrative structure with the other games (that includes Hunters, even!) whereas Other M cannot.

so Other M is that bad huh? im playing through all the Metroids right now, i'm now in Prime 2 (Finished Zero Mission, Super Metroid and Metroid Prime 1) going to download the Jap version because people were telling me that the dub is horrible and that version has superior japanese voice acting

Surprisingly, the discussion of Metroid and Other M is of relevance to this thread, if only tangentially - because of localization. Other M's was notoriously bad, even by bad localization standards. The original intent wasn't to make Samus come across as whiny or monotone, but rather cold, detatched, and professional.

This didn't translate well.

But why Other M is hated.... That's a bit more than shitty voice-acting and characterization, sadly. Previously, Other M had listed the entire Prime series as non-canon, and cut the games down to the core four (Zero Mission, Return of Samus, Super Metroid, and Fusion). This was idiotic for about a thousand reasons, but the biggest was that the Prime series had fleshed out the universe that the Metroid series took place in beautifully (IMPORTANT: Fusion was made assuming these games were canon as well).

Suddenly Other M shows up and declares over half the series non-canon out the gate, and then for good measure effectively sets up a universe
in which none of the other games can be considered canon because Other M contradicts them in some way or another:

The Prime Trilogy (and Hunters) are both non-canon as declared by Other M's maker. Even if they weren't, Other M establishes that the Prime Trilogy can't be canon, because Samus had missions from and with the Galactic Federation, which Samus breaks all ties with in Other M.

Similarly, Other M's fluff establishes that both Metroid Zero Mission (the one with the official Manga) and Super Metroid (the game Other M is trying to have violent unrelenting sex with) cannot be considered canon either. According to Other M, the Pirates should have reverted to animalistic behavior when Mother Brain was destroyed, and thusly couldn't have done all the scientific stuff they did like reviving Ridley and Kraid, rebuilding Tourian, etc, nor could they have called in the strike cruiser they landed on Zebes during Zero Mission.

How Other M claims how Samus' suit works also negates the events of how Fusion starts (with the X infesting the organic sections of her suit).

Finally, Other M's plot has a central point that involves "breeding out" the Cold vulnerability of Metroids.... Which Metroid II establishes happens naturally as they mature into their later forms.

The way Other M claims how the suit works negates the events that kicked off Fusion, so again, it's no longer able to be canon.

Other M's plot involved "breeding out" the cold vulnerability of Metroids, which Metroid II says occurs naturally from beta-radiation-induced evolution - guess that makes Metroid II non-canonical too.

And that's not even covering the character of Samus, whose mismanagement is partly due to shit localization and partly due to bad design decisions.

TL;DR: Other M handles Metroid's canon about as well as Ultima XI: Ascension handled the canon of the Ultima series.

Last edited:

Optimus Prime

Resident KF Transformers Expert
kiwifarms.net
I love that for over a year, Gamergate slowly chipped away at Gawker, weakening it bit by bit (and the occasional six/seven figure deficit loss when they fucking had to admit shit was going south)...

...and it wasn't anything but Gawker being an unethical shithole of clickbaiting that's gotten them here. But the kicker is that suddenly, the completely unrelated destruction of financial income thanks to the GGers just makes Gawker's situation exponentially worse now. There's no possible way the company could survive even if Hogan's legal team doesn't go for the jugular at this point.

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Status
Not open for further replies.