Games Journalism General -

Notan Alte

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbpJ5EAQvlQ
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The first video you posted was about a game called Hotdogs, Horseshoes, and Hand Grenades. IMO the dev of it deserves a thread, and when I'm not being a lazy cunt I'll start to whip one up on him. TL;DR: He's a victim of his own success, and it's wearing down heavy on him; The discord server that he's on for the game is full of more right leaning things while he's very left leaning, and whenever politics comes up, people are banned. However if the politics being discussed favor the left, then any posts mysteriously stay...

His discord server also has a variety of exceptional individuals, such as the vore obsessed zebra/dragon furry who's living off welfare, the power hungry discord mod who's also living off welfare cus of his adhd and spends his neetbucks on vr equipment, the resident shitposter who's good at his job of being a meme, and the exceptional individuals who try to mimic the shitposter's success, only to do so terribly and make everyone hate them.

purpleboy

Exceptional the Individualhog
kiwifarms.net
Game Journalism is actually a bottom-tier journalism job. It's considered akin to working at a fast food job to any actual journalist. Most video game journalists didn't actually want to write for video games, they wanted to work as actual reporters or journalists but couldn't find work doing that. This is why they insert leftist politics into articles, and why they tend to suck at playing the games.

Game journalism is also a soul crushing job that is genuinely tedious to do, it's why a lot of people burn out on it after a few years. You have to play almost every game in existence that gets released and write some new and original statement about it. You have almost zero job security. And you can get laid off almost out of nowhere. They could also find ANYONE else to do your job. So you have to play politics to avoid getting laid off. It's really unsurprising to me that you can find video game journalists that just plagiarize youtube reviews to get articles out quicker.

I genuinely feel bad for video game journalists because you have to keep consuming derivative shitty titles that get released every year and write articles about them while hoping you could find an actual job in actual journalism instead which is more exciting. It's like being a guy who reviews action figures. You might be initially excited to do it but eventually you keep looking for something more substantive to do with your time. It's unsurprising they keep shoehorning in political statements into their articles hoping they'll get noticed at the Huffington Post or Buzzfeed.
So it’s less the autist journos themselves and more the big men on top who count the bills and regularly dump ass all over them

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
kiwifarms.net
So it’s less the autist journos themselves and more the big men on top who count the bills and regularly dump ass all over them
Game Journalists are constantly treated and regularly encouraged to make effectively advertisements for games disguised as reviews. Imagine just being told to play a game you hate and being forced to put out a positive spin on it so you don't get fired, now multiply this over several games and over several years.

TotalBiscuit said in one of his mailbag videos something really lucid. He was asked if he played any games in particular for recreation. And he answered that he stopped playing video games in his spare time completely, he just didn't enjoy it anymore. And he had to find other things to occupy his spare time now. This was years before his cancer diagnosis for context.

So it's effectively a job that kills your enjoyment for something you like. And you have zero job security doing it.

purpleboy

kiwifarms.net
Game Journalists are constantly treated and regularly encouraged to make effectively advertisements for games disguised as reviews. Imagine just being told to play a game you hate and being forced to put out a positive spin on it so you don't get fired, now multiply this over several games and over several years.

TotalBiscuit said in one of his mailbag videos something really lucid. He was asked if he played any games in particular for recreation. And he answered that he stopped playing video games in his spare time completely, he just didn't enjoy it anymore. And he had to find other things to occupy his spare time now. This was years before his cancer diagnosis for context.

So it's effectively a job that kills your enjoyment for something you like. And you have zero job security doing it.
So it’s less the journos themselves lacking ethics and more the heads of these companies not wanting them to have any to prevent their EA/Activsion/Squeenix/2K/etc tugboats from running away

• Optimistic
Reactions: SiccDicc

Jaimas

Autism War Correspondent
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Game Journalism is actually a bottom-tier journalism job. It's considered akin to working at a fast food job to any actual journalist. Most video game journalists didn't actually want to write for video games, they wanted to work as actual reporters or journalists but couldn't find work doing that. This is why they insert leftist politics into articles, and why they tend to suck at playing the games.

Game journalism is also a soul crushing job that is genuinely tedious to do, it's why a lot of people burn out on it after a few years. You have to play almost every game in existence that gets released and write some new and original statement about it. You have almost zero job security. And you can get laid off almost out of nowhere. They could also find ANYONE else to do your job. So you have to play politics to avoid getting laid off. It's really unsurprising to me that you can find video game journalists that just plagiarize youtube reviews to get articles out quicker.

I genuinely feel bad for video game journalists because you have to keep consuming derivative shitty titles that get released every year and write articles about them while hoping you could find an actual job in actual journalism instead which is more exciting. It's like being a guy who reviews action figures. You might be initially excited to do it but eventually you keep looking for something more substantive to do with your time. It's unsurprising they keep shoehorning in political statements into their articles hoping they'll get noticed at the Huffington Post or Buzzfeed.
You should have zero sympathy for them.

It would be one thing if any of them went into journalism as a career; they have not. They're dipshit ideologues with garbage humanities degrees, fostered by the social justice assclowns of the Frisco Bay area. They see themselves as the self-proclaimed guardians of internet culture, blissfully unaware that your average person considers them an insufferable blot upon the escutcheon of internet discourse.

None of them have talent or accomplishments beyond pushing the party line. They pretend they're important because they're authoritiarians and in their worldview anything that allows escapism should not be allowed.

Your average Kiwi Farms shitposter is more qualified to write about video games than these assclowns.

Imago

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So it’s less the journos themselves lacking ethics and more the heads of these companies not wanting them to have any to prevent their EA/Activsion/Squeenix/2K/etc tugboats from running away
These are problems that exist in any industry publication. From cars to guns to video games the press is dependent on the industry they cover. If these journalists were just giving crappy AAA games high scores for a paycheck we wouldn't have a thread.

What sets the journalists in the OP apart is their bizarre moral crusade against their own industry. They aren't video game critics so much as cultural reformers and they are as likely to attack their paymasters as their readers. Of course nothing is new under the sun, when I was a kid movie reviewers were the moral crusaders. As video games have overtaken other forms of media people who want influence just follow the popular trends; even if they don't like video games they love the attention they get from them.

What I find really disturbing is how interconnected all these people are. These same names have been active in the book world, Leigh Alexander is friends with John Scalzi and has started writing sci-fi for the verge along with her degenerate friends. Scalzi and Frank Wu know each other from the old Tor/Worldcon Clique. They were the ones who dragged the gamergate crap into the sci-fi community in the first place.

purpleboy

kiwifarms.net
These are problems that exist in any industry publication. From cars to guns to video games the press is dependent on the industry they cover. If these journalists were just giving crappy AAA games high scores for a paycheck we wouldn't have a thread.

What sets the journalists in the OP apart is their bizarre moral crusade against their own industry. They aren't video game critics so much as cultural reformers and they are as likely to attack their paymasters as their readers. Of course nothing is new under the sun, when I was a kid movie reviewers were the moral crusaders. As video games have overtaken other forms of media people who want influence just follow the popular trends; even if they don't like video games they love the attention they get from them.

View attachment 756032

What I find really disturbing is how interconnected all these people are. These same names have been active in the book world, Leigh Alexander is friends with John Scalzi and has started writing sci-fi for the verge along with her degenerate friends. Scalzi and Frank Wu know each other from the old Tor/Worldcon Clique. They were the ones who dragged the gamergate crap into the sci-fi community in the first place.
Don’t get me wrong, I hate the dangerhairs and numales at Kotaku, I was just trying to understand his perspective on the issue. And you’re definitely true about film having a similar issue, didn’t Siskel try to ban slashers?

Dreamland

Mural of coral and cold
kiwifarms.net
I've noticed that the game devs that do prostrate themselves to the fourth estate's will often get rewarded with an even more intensive campaign:
Riot games submitted to Schreier and Kotaku on subjects like toxicity (LoL's banning practices have become an enduring meme). They even held seminars during a games con especially for women and men pretending to be women. Their reward however is now a personell strike and having article after article piled against them about how their new mentally ill assets can't handle the strain of a working environment.

NRS cleaned up their models and made them more culturally diverse as per Waypoint's orders. Yet they too find themselves the subject of increasingly more reaching articles complaining about Rhonda Roussey and the fact that some of the devs responsible for visual design watched gore in front of their thin-skinned colleages.

What begs the point is, they beat a proverbial dog for wetting the carpet, but then they continue or intensify the beatings after not doing it, or is this a show-weakness-and-you're-dead kinda situation?

• Informative
Reactions: AsbestosFlaygon

AnOminous

do you see what happens
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
What begs the point is, they beat a proverbial dog for wetting the carpet, but then they continue or intensify the beatings after not doing it, or is this a show-weakness-and-you're-dead kinda situation?
Pretty much. This isn't even one of those shakedown situations like Sharpton always used to do where if you paid off his bullshit with a "donation" to some "charity" he controlled he could actually call off the goons.

With these cunts, it's like giving in to a prison rapist, you're just going to be a bitch from then on period.

Reactions: Dreamland

purpleboy

kiwifarms.net
I already said it earlier, but I seriously want to roundhouse kick FilmCritHulk in the face. I know he isn’t purely a games journo, but all of his articles and tweetthreads, especially his gaming ones are pretentious, galaxy brained pigshit https://www.twitter.com/FilmCritHULK

• Semper Fidelis
Reactions: Jaimas

AnOminous

do you see what happens
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
"Journalist" Jason Schreier (one of Quinn's OG whiteknights) whines about one of Bethesda's twitter accounts mocking him, reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees at the danger this puts journalists in in a "post GamerGate" world:

View attachment 756244
Bitch, Bethesda doesn't even give a fuck about the people who buy their shit, why would they care about worthless worms like games "journalists?"

SiccDicc

Ratatatatatatatatatat!
kiwifarms.net
I already said it earlier, but I seriously want to roundhouse kick FilmCritHulk in the face. I know he isn’t purely a games journo, but all of his articles and tweetthreads, especially his gaming ones are pretentious, galaxy brained pigshit https://www.twitter.com/FilmCritHULK
I thought Devin Faraci ran that account.

Either way when I first came across it I thought it was satire.

• Agree
Reactions: Brain Problems

Weppers

kiwifarms.net
"Journalist" Jason Schreier (one of Quinn's OG whiteknights) whines about one of Bethesda's twitter accounts mocking him, reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees at the danger this puts journalists in in a "post GamerGate" world:

View attachment 756244
I'm still mad I bought his book Blood, Sweat, & Pixels on the title alone without looking into the author very much. The little wiener has to stop every 12 pages to remind the reader how tragic it is that 97% of the developers he chose to interview were men.

George Cuckzunian

kiwifarms.net

View attachment 756244
"Bethesda is litterally the orange man! I bet GAMERGATE 2.0 did this! DAMN YOU SARGON!"

While it's never been officially stated, its believed the reason Kotaku has been barred from review copies is because they leaked the plot and location for Fallout 4 well before the game was ever announced. They should wear the review ban as a badge of honor saying they were attacked for doing real journalism or try back dooring that shit with a bunch of sneaky shit to get a review copy and proudly announce that.

But instead they act like the limp wristed weak faggots they are, and everyone points and laughs.

Medicated

Not the fun kind
kiwifarms.net
Leigh disappeared after that, resurfacing briefly to shit on Total Biscuit's corpse before disappearing, presumably into a bottle of booze.
The main reason Leigh disappeared, is because after leaving the industry, she married some soyboy. Probably from a cashed up family.

Soon after her husbands Twitter pretty much died in the ass. Now she gets invited to gaming stuff around the world and is probably still banging randos like she used to.

And the ring goes missing.

Last edited:
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino