Games Journalism General -

Miller

You're gonna extract HIM?!
kiwifarms.net
Like this review for The Division 2, from a fan of the Division 1, just blows every other gaming review I've ever seen out of the water. If you are fan of the previous game, it addresses exactly the points you are looking for.

>ShillUp
The guy deepthroated Kojima in his "review" of Death Stranding.

• Horrifying
Reactions: SiccDicc

Stasi

kiwifarms.net
It’s honestly going to be based around when Jeff leaves. When he leaves GB it’s effectively dead. I would think Jeff could actually work for a developer or publisher if he really wanted to.
Don't think he would leave to be honest. A lot of people forget that GB started as a podcast he did after getting canned by GameSpot and that eventually became GB with the help of Ryan and the others. Hard to walk away from something you pretty much singlehandedly created.

More likely it will crumble into irrelevance. The disinterest from the staff was always there. When the site was created they said they wouldn't review every game because of burnout and would rather play and talk about what they liked with the occasional review. At the time it was kind of refreshing compared to the review churn factories like IGN. They would just talk shit on a podcast about games they played. Now seems like the cool vibe is gone and all that's left is tired bitterness.

Win98SE

kiwifarms.net
Don't think he would leave to be honest. A lot of people forget that GB started as a podcast he did after getting canned by GameSpot and that eventually became GB with the help of Ryan and the others. Hard to walk away from something you pretty much singlehandedly created.
Apparently the Bombcast is still the biggest earner for them. Their ad breaks for premium accounts always have some bit about "it's not just a podcast, it's an entire website!"

I do hope they can find a way to course-correct, as I think Jeff and crew do stand a chance at making some interesting shit, but it sure has been a dull year for them.

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net
alex can be ok tho. ben and abby are unredeemable
All of them theoretically can be good. The Contradiction: Spot The Liar Quick Look was great and that had some of the worst staff on it.

I'm not sure Giant Bomb can be saved because the number 1 thing needed to begin recovery is getting deprogrammed from social justice, and I don't see that happening.

Nobody asked me, but I think to save Giant Bomb they need to do the following.
  1. Deprogram from social justice. That means diversity hires need to go. No more deplatforming. No more politics.
  2. Take an extended break. Be it 2 weeks or even 2 months, they need a long break where they never touch any games. It's the only way they can be cured of this jaded burnout they had going on.
  3. Learn to edit. GB was ahead of it's time. Not only did they have video content, but they did things like let's plays and documentaries about events before those things took off and went mainstream, but these days their content seems old hat and low effort. I think they should move to edited content.
Some ideas that are not required, but I think would help.
  1. Do "the raid". Yes, it was a dumb, spur of the moment idea thrown out on a podcast, and it might lose something without Ryan, but it's something unique, fun, and nostalgic.
  2. Cover retro games. Gaming has been shit overall for the last 5-8 years. Some of the most beloved content of the site involved old games like Windjammers, Metal Gear Solid, and Persona 4. It might be good if they went to that well. This would also help with the burnout problem.
  3. Move back into one office.
  4. Renew their contacts list. Back in the day their friends included a charismatic EA producer with many strange behind the scenes stories, a programmer who worked at naughty dog, eccentric indie game devs. Who do they talk to these days? Nobodies and has beens. A former game journos who killed their career sperging about anime games on Twitter, and a bunch of progressive pseudo-developers who've not made anything of note.

Last edited:

Water-T

Looking for girls under 17 to SukMi my baby carrot
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
All of them theoretically can be good. The Contradiction: Spot The Liar Quick Look was great and that some of the worst staff on it.

I'm not sure Giant Bomb can be saved because the number 1 thing needed to begin recovery is getting deprogrammed from social justice, and I don't see that happening.

Nobody asked me, but I think to save Giant Bomb they need to do the following.
  1. Deprogram from social justice. That means diversity hires need to go. No more deplatforming. No more politics.
  2. Take an extended break. Be it 2 weeks or even 2 months, they need a long break where they never touch any games. It's the only way they can be cured of this jaded burnout they had going on.
  3. Learn to edit. GB was ahead of it's time. Not only did they have video content, but they did things like let's plays and documentaries about events before those things took off and went mainstream, but these days their content seems old hat and low effort. I think they should move to edited content.
Some ideas that are not required, but I think would help.
  1. Do "the raid". Yes, it was a dumb, spur of the moment idea thrown out on a podcast, and it might lose something without Ryan, but it's something unique, fun, and nostalgic.
  2. Cover retro games. Gaming has been shit overall for the last 5-8 years. Some of the most beloved content of the site involved old games like Windjammers, Metal Gear Solid, and Persona 4. It might be good if they went to that well. This would also help with the burnout problem.
  3. Move back into one office.
  4. Renew their contacts list. Back in the day their friends included a charismatic EA producer with many strange behind the scenes stories, a programmer who worked at naughty dog, eccentric indie game devs. Who do they talk to these days? Nobodies and has beens. A former game journos who killed their career sperging about anime games on Twitter, and a bunch of progressive pseudo-developers who've not made anything of note.
SO MUCH YES. Dump the muh diversity hires. No ones cares if you have a vagina, non-white skin, or a girl dick. If you can play games and talk about them without looking like a tard or sperging about the evils of anime titties in games, then cool.

Reviewing retro games is great. There is a huge audience for that, and not only would it alleviate burnout, but give reviewers a better appreciation of gaming by playing the classics that made them love games in the first place.

If only they adhered to that last tule, then maybe the human STD called Zoe Quinn would still be nothing more than a pseudo Suicide Girl. No one cares about what a wannabe who assembled a crap "game" like "Jeff Goldblum Staring Contest" in 2 hours has to say.

Peasant

kiwifarms.net
Nichegamer plagiarized several times Gematsu, the latter is a much better news outlet if you're into japanese games and dont want to see any hot outrage/political take in the feed.
And like @BrokenWokenBespoken said, Nichegamer is a sort-of second home for the oneangrygamer audience
Seconding Gematsu. It's the only gaming news site I bother to check these days. It's just news, no bullshit or hot 'n spicy game journo opinions; that's all I need.

wholetthegodsout

kiwifarms.net
Abby
SO MUCH YES. Dump the muh diversity hires. No ones cares if you have a vagina, non-white skin, or a girl dick. If you can play games and talk about them without looking like a tard or sperging about the evils of anime titties in games, then cool.

Reviewing retro games is great. There is a huge audience for that, and not only would it alleviate burnout, but give reviewers a better appreciation of gaming by playing the classics that made them love games in the first place.

If only they adhered to that last tule, then maybe the human STD called Zoe Quinn would still be nothing more than a pseudo Suicide Girl. No one cares about what a wannabe who assembled a crap "game" like "Jeff Goldblum Staring Contest" in 2 hours has to say.
There has been a conspicous lack of zoe quinn on the site since patrick left. They know she is toxic.

• Informative
Reactions: Judge Dredd

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net

More likely it will crumble into irrelevance. The disinterest from the staff was always there. When the site was created they said they wouldn't review every game because of burnout and would rather play and talk about what they liked with the occasional review. At the time it was kind of refreshing compared to the review churn factories like IGN. They would just talk shit on a podcast about games they played. Now seems like the cool vibe is gone and all that's left is tired bitterness.
Jeff is super likely to leave primairly because while he (and his deceased friend Ryan) essentially created GiantBomb, he no longer is the sole owner of it (it's part of CBS/Gamespot/whatever). Giantbomb (and the entire review industry) are drastically different now (in 2019) vs when he started (1996) or when GB was founded (2008).

It used to be a semi-glamorous profession that was mainly staffed by people who gave a shit - as evidenced by the proto Giantbomb crew and the reason why they even formed up in the first place. They used to be respected by their audience as well as having a symbiotic relationship with developers and publishers. Over the years this is no longer the case, from all angles. "Game Journalists" are now people who don't really care about or understand games (aka Abby) and the audience and publishers much prefer working with youtubers/streamers/anyone else. Jeff has watched the decline of his entire industry.

Additionally, he's been working as a very high level (Director+) person in the industry for over twenty five years - he probably isn't hurting for money and even if he was he tons of other doors are open to him. It seems like he gives less and less of a shit every year and frankly - he'd probably like to focus on being a new father than riding the decline of video game journalism into the dirt.

Giantbomb (the brand) will be around for a long time and will still have some flashes of what people liked about it (via Vinny and Dan) but I can totally see Jeff leaving and it becoming worse the more Ben Packs/Abby Russells they wind up hiring.

Win98SE

kiwifarms.net
If they sack Ben, Abby, Alex and then go back to a single studio I feel like it would do wonders.
I think the split of the studio did the most damage. The right combo of personalities is somewhere in the middle, so you either have to pick a fucking snoozefest or a bunch of people doing shitty comedy bits with occasional video game talk.

alex can be ok tho. ben and abby are unredeemable
I don't entirely dislike Ben. Him and Jeff compliment each other well IMO, but he's no replacement for Vinny or Ryan.

Abby is beyond saving. A couple of years ago she claimed that you had to look up 2B's skirt to beat Nier (despite having not beaten it herself) and I think everyone's fucking head just about exploded.

• Agree

Sir Wesley Tailpipe

kiwifarms.net
Giant Bomb has always been crap. Any game journalists who imported a game for the 360 that was also on PS3 because they didn’t know PS3 games were regionless didn’t deserve to be called games journalists.

Their whole “personality-based” shtick was just to cover their laziness and willful ignorance. If something wasn’t sent to them direct from a PR department, they didn’t know it.

Stasi

kiwifarms.net
lol listening to this I forgot how much money they used to drop on random shit before they got families and responsibilities and all that negative stuff
I completely forgot about this, that brought back some memories.

If they tried the raid thing they would need to do some heavy editing to make it compelling and spice it up with other activities and don't think they would put in the effort to do it these days. There are not that many used game stores (in Tokyo at least) so it would literally be them farting around super potato for 30 minutes. And super potato isn't all that cheap to be honest, only good for picking up Japanese exclusives for older systems. The games that are expensive in US/EU are expensive in Japan too.

• Feels

Sir Wesley Tailpipe

kiwifarms.net
I completely forgot about this, that brought back some memories.

If they tried the raid thing they would need to do some heavy editing to make it compelling and spice it up with other activities and don't think they would put in the effort to do it these days. There are not that many used game stores (in Tokyo at least) so it would literally be them farting around super potato for 30 minutes. And super potato isn't all that cheap to be honest, only good for picking up Japanese exclusives for older systems. The games that are expensive in US/EU are expensive in Japan too.
If Gerstwahl had done it when he talked about it instead of just continuing to get fatter and more bitter, it would have been great. But in the intervening decade, Japanese shops started exporting via the web and eBay, and more tourists started going to places outside Akihabara to look for games, so at this point it would be a total waste of time and effort to try it.

• Feels

Win98SE

kiwifarms.net
If Ryan Davis hadn't died he probably would have been canceled by subhuman SJWs for some imaginary sin.
I couldn't find it, but when Jeff was doing Q&As on his Tumblr, people would occasionally send in stuff like "Ryan would have never been on board with this SJW bullshit" and he would insist that it wouldn't have been the case. Regardless, I think Ryan's "heated gaming moment" wouldn't have played out as well today.

When Dan got hired there was a bit of backlash because they'd hired another white guy. I supose those people are celebrating now?

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino