Games Journalism General -

SiccDicc

See you next fall...
kiwifarms.net
I couldn't find it, but when Jeff was doing Q&As on his Tumblr, people would occasionally send in stuff like "Ryan would have never been on board with this SJW bullshit" and he would insist that it wouldn't have been the case. Regardless, I think Ryan's "heated gaming moment" wouldn't have played out as well today.

When Dan got hired there was a bit of backlash because they'd hired another white guy. I supose those people are celebrating now?
They said the same shit about JewWario, but then again JewWario ended up molesting people so maybe they had a point...

Vice explains why 4X&strategy game sucks(hint: they're problematic)

It starts going off on evolution and Darwin at one point.

This article is like a shady Dollar Store burger. 23% beef, 68% soy, 9% potato starch, flour(gluten) & spices.
Hmm, I wonder where the Lepenski culture or whatever he was talking about went.

I don't feel like reading this garbage right now, but scanning it, Vice seems to be arguing that:

1. WAH you make backwards people sound backwards WAH

2. But other cultures value other things WAH (irrelevant to the fact that it's a strategy game about conquering and building empires, and also false; everybody values having more money and a bigger boomstick)

3. But sometimes cultures go backwards (no shit? we called it the Dark Ages when it happened to Europe)

For that matter, it seems to me like strategy games attract a TON of very far-Right young men, a small but vocal number of edgy ideologue posers (tankies and the like), and a small number of centerfags. Historians tend heavily towards Leftism, but strategy gamers tend heavily towards Rightism.

Maybe strategy gamers tend to be more attracted to the ideas of tribal conflict, the glory of war, and the like?

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Save the Loli

Stasi

kiwifarms.net
I couldn't find it, but when Jeff was doing Q&As on his Tumblr, people would occasionally send in stuff like "Ryan would have never been on board with this SJW bullshit" and he would insist that it wouldn't have been the case. Regardless, I think Ryan's "heated gaming moment" wouldn't have played out as well today.

When Dan got hired there was a bit of backlash because they'd hired another white guy. I supose those people are celebrating now?
That article basically represents everything wrong with game journalism and why it has gone down the toilet in the last 10 years.

The hobby has never been very popular with women so why are your write ups aping a gossip column? They think they are writing for a bunch of catty teenage girls or something.

Most people don't give a shit what curse words some fat spastic uses when playing games. Your audience likely play online on the regular so wont blink a eyelid at something like faggot.

Reactions: AsbestosFlaygon

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net
I don't know if Ryan would be SJW or not. I think he died before it really hit the fan, but I don't remember him disagreeing with Alex or Patrick either.

Even if he was an ally, I think he'd have been thrown under the bus at some point. I don't think Ryan was the kind of person who would apologize and bend the knee. Although I would have said the same about Jeff at the time and look at at what became of him.

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net
Sorry for the double post. I've updated the OP. No Ben Kuchera, Michael Fahey or Patricia Hernandez yet. I'll need to do research on those.

Changes are
  1. Added Kotaku CP article to Kotaku section
  2. Added Extra Credits to Individuals section
  3. Edited Anti-Games Journalism to include recent spaghetti spills
  4. Added link to @Medicated post game journalism Leigh Alexander post to the OP
  5. A few minor typo fixes

I still have more to do. I'm going to re-read the thread and pick out things to add. I'm not sure if I should add Jim Sterling, Patrick Klepeck, and Skill-Up.

Water-T

Looking for girls under 17 to SukMi my baby carrot
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Sorry for the double post. I've updated the OP. No Ben Kuchera, Michael Fahey or Patricia Hernandez yet. I'll need to do research on those.

Changes are
  1. Added Kotaku CP article to Kotaku section
  2. Added Extra Credits to Individuals section
  3. Edited Anti-Games Journalism to include recent spaghetti spills
  4. Added link to @Medicated post game journalism Leigh Alexander post to the OP
  5. A few minor typo fixes

I still have more to do. I'm going to re-read the thread and pick out things to add. I'm not sure if I should add Jim Sterling, Patrick Klepeck, and Skill-Up.
Sterling has his own thread, so no need to add him here. Klepecker is one of the biggest speds infecting games journalism, so he definitely warrants a spot on here.

• Agree
Reactions: AsbestosFlaygon

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
And there goes pretty much the last reason to watch any Giant Bomb content.

How shitty is working for Giantbomb where Dan took the title "podcast producer" for the WWE and will (potentially) have to travel frequently away from his wife and dog for the new job.

Games "Journalism" is typically pretty shit, but I did imagine in my heart of hearts that Giantbomb paid a "senior [video and live] content producer" more than WWE (a company notorious for not paying people very much money) would pay a "podcast producer", espically after Giantbomb likely paid for him to move between studios and cross country last year.

It must have taken Dan a lot to leave and his resignation should really be alarming to Jeff and Vinny; who they bring on next is going to be gigantically pivitol for the direction of the site. Frankly, they should hire a few more people because they seem really stretched thin, only a few non-production people per office currently.

Also, holy fuck I haven't been to the main site in a minute - literally every article on the site is someone's 2019 "Top 10" list. Previously, this would be for current employees, former employees, and a few friends - now there's fucking a list from Adam Conover (from Adam Ruins Everything) of all people, plus a ton of mediocre trannies. There's fifty nine top 10 lists on there (not including main staff's), which is really about 57 more guest articles then they need.

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
GBEast is going to be pretty dire, but I don't think the decision itself is that alarming. Working for the WWE in some capacity seems like the dude's life goal.
I'm not saying it wasn't one of his goals, but it's a pretty decent step down from his current title in Video Games (which was another life goal). The part that stuck out to me is that

- His new job will require travel (WWE is essentially a traveling circus) to a degree, where as his existing job doesn't. He got married not a long time ago so I can't imagine he likes the idea of being away from his wife and dog for long periods.
- His current job was also a "life goal"
- His new title "podcast producer" sounds like it likely pays less than his old title of "Content Producer, Senior" - doubly so when WWE is a notoriously stingy company to work for. Going from a senior title to a normal one is not a lateral move for him.
- Most telling, is that he is a huge part of Giantbomb East (they literally moved him out there for it), but they were not willing or unable to retain him.

When people leave a company, you should always examine it.

Patrick Klepek left for (what he considered) a better opprotuniy, as Giantbomb wasn't allegedly "preachy enough" for him.
Austin Walker left for a much better opportunity, CBS wasn't going to pay him an Editor in Chief's salary to stay.
Drew Scanlon left but to pursue a different opprutinity. CBS wasn't going to pay for him to travel the world to produce content when he was already producing it in a studio.
Dan Ryckert left for a worse job at a shitter company - there's likely a reason why this happened. Either he did something awful where he got let go, or the environment there is so awful he felt better about taking a worse job elsewhere. This is why it should be alarming for Jeff/Vinny, good people don't typically leave your company for less money and worse working conditions unless you're doing something wrong. It's also alarming because who do you replace him with in the video game hiring landscape of 2020? The last round got us Abby and Ben, who are awful.

Win98SE

kiwifarms.net
Dan Ryckert left for a worse job at a shitter company - there's likely a reason why this happened. Either he did something awful where he got let go, or the environment there is so awful he felt better about taking a worse job elsewhere. This is why it should be alarming for Jeff/Vinny, good people don't typically leave your company for less money and worse working conditions unless you're doing something wrong. It's also alarming because who do you replace him with in the video game hiring landscape of 2020? The last round got us Abby and Ben, who are awful.
Unless he's doing a bit, Dan doesn't seem to be the smartest guy. He tried cooking egg shells because the recipe called for egg whites. He went pre-diabetic because he ate Taco Bell every single day and didn't know it was bad for him. He has flashes of 200IQ, but I can't figure out if they're just dumb luck or him breaking character.

Regardless, I can definitely see a situation where he just straight-up left GB to work for the WWE because he just thought it sounded cool.

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net
Patrick Klepek left for (what he considered) a better opprotuniy, as Giantbomb wasn't allegedly "preachy enough" for him.
If I had to guess, the reason Dan would leave for a worse job could be in part due to the attitude of GB. I remember an image passed around after E3 one year when they announced a South Park game. When PC principle is on screen, Dan is hyped, Jeff is confused, and the rest were not happy about it.

Megaroad 2012

F.B.T. IT'S A CONDITION!
kiwifarms.net
If I had to guess, the reason Dan would leave for a worse job could be in part due to the attitude of GB. I remember an image passed around after E3 one year when they announced a South Park game. When PC principle is on screen, Dan is hyped, Jeff is confused, and the rest were not happy about it.
The specific video you're talking about is missing in action or a part of some longer thing I'm not gonna go looking for, but there's a blurry ass image of the moment that gives off enough soy to get the idea.
vxLHlwnxDuaJtXnETodgTsummTyv7OwZjmn-pYowWFc.jpg

selachophile

kiwifarms.net
I'm not saying it wasn't one of his goals, but it's a pretty decent step down from his current title in Video Games (which was another life goal). The part that stuck out to me is that
Dan being someone who mingles with a lot of the talent and has followed wrestling for his entire life, he must realize how awful of an employer WWE is. I'm saying he'd likely have better choices to pick from in terms of employment if he wanted to, and the decision to work there seems completely irrational no matter how you spin it. What Win98SE said is the most likely explanation to me — Dan makes strange decisions.

I'll definitely agree that the site is far worse off without the dude, and in kind of a slump overall. Must be rough, having to hire from people left in this sort of classic game journalism for a purely personality based website. I personally like Ben though.

• Agree
Reactions: Judge Dredd

SiccDicc

See you next fall...
kiwifarms.net
Dan being someone who mingles with a lot of the talent and has followed wrestling for his entire life, he must realize how awful of an employer WWE is. I'm saying he'd likely have better choices to pick from in terms of employment if he wanted to, and the decision to work there seems completely irrational no matter how you spin it. What Win98SE said is the most likely explanation to me — Dan makes strange decisions.
Or as @Judge Dredd pointed out; there may be something even worse about GB that he'd prefer WWE's bullshit. Could be the atmosphere of the place or it could be he's just the first rat to flee a sinking ship.

Reactions: Judge Dredd

Megaroad 2012

F.B.T. IT'S A CONDITION!
kiwifarms.net
The choice is either working at GB, or go do something he seems passionate about with a pay cut even if just for a moment.

I mean, shit, the only wrestler I know is Razor Ramon Hard Gay and I'd rather be working for the WWE than Giant Bomb if it meant being around a bunch of joyless drones upset by PC Principal of all things so they can score points with people more sad than they are.

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net
PCGamer Article http://archive.ph/YU7ML

TLDR is that PCGamer is not happy that you hunt monsters in monster hunter, and says that hunters should be the bad guys.

And for those who want it, here's the GDC talk where the Kotaku writer says video game characters are real and players are tyrants forcing them to do things against their will. They deleted all the negative comments which is why there's only 30. I don't have an archive of the comments.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino