Games Journalism General -

Win98SE

kiwifarms.net
I remember getting a shitload of Computer Gaming World magazines back in the day, and it's really saying something that some 15 years later I still remember articles I read in those and can't recall a single fucking article written by any of these modern outlets. So much of the utility behind these old gaming mags/sites was that the information truly wasn't available anywhere else, but nowadays I can get on YouTube/Twitch and watch someone play a game for a bit, then go to any number of forums and read more information about it if I want.

People like Gita are clearly freaked out by this, or at least that's the impression I'm getting from the stuff she's retweeting. She's mistaken the fall of legacy games media as some kind of attack by "TOXIC GAMERS" (!), when it's actually the product of nobody wanting to read some weirdo's article about getting horny playing Control. The people who are funding the entire operation are starting to realize it's just not profitable anymore and that even the negative attention isn't enough to keep the lights on.

Megaroad 2012

F.B.T. IT'S A CONDITION!
kiwifarms.net
The Unofficial Playstation Magazine was my drug of choice back in the day.

The cover artist they had was the shit, used to have this hanging on my wall when I was a kid.
sy7ONwM.jpg

It's funny, old magazines had a bunch of random shit in them as well (said PSM used to have swimsuit issues with video game characters drawn by this artist), but they had charm and passion by actual fans and gamers. You could argue what's the difference between that and Gita's stupid Control article, but at least you never get the impression that the boys at PSM love to smell their own farts like Gita does, also without any weird political shoehorning.

I want to sperge some more of a second: since day fucking 1 of gamergate, I thought there was nothing more lame than seeing all these current dopes suddenly drop their pretense of actually liking the medium and admit they were essentially talking meat puppets trying to spread agendas.

Anyways, here's something I used to look forward to in EGM, Hsu and Chan:
P8LnUS1_d.jpg
W59ZvbG_d.jpg

Found a complete collection by the original artist.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
The people who are funding the entire operation are starting to realize it's just not profitable anymore and that even the negative attention isn't enough to keep the lights on.
It doesn't work when the people you're actively pissing off also actively hate you and don't just link to archives rather than to your shit, but also harass your advertisers and dox you and your family for shits and giggles and cost you millions for that shitty "bring back bullying" comment, etc. to the point you literally don't exist any more because you get Hulk Hoganed.

GethN7

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I remember getting a shitload of Computer Gaming World magazines back in the day, and it's really saying something that some 15 years later I still remember articles I read in those and can't recall a single fucking article written by any of these modern outlets. So much of the utility behind these old gaming mags/sites was that the information truly wasn't available anywhere else, but nowadays I can get on YouTube/Twitch and watch someone play a game for a bit, then go to any number of forums and read more information about it if I want.

People like Gita are clearly freaked out by this, or at least that's the impression I'm getting from the stuff she's retweeting. She's mistaken the fall of legacy games media as some kind of attack by "TOXIC GAMERS" (!), when it's actually the product of nobody wanting to read some weirdo's article about getting horny playing Control. The people who are funding the entire operation are starting to realize it's just not profitable anymore and that even the negative attention isn't enough to keep the lights on.
Me too. I still remember all the old time game magazines pre-2000 more than I do anything afterwards. Then they actually had less metaphorical and literal dicks to suck and actually had to do their jobs a lot more. Game reviews were that, actual reviews with relevant content that you make an intelligent buying decision with. Sure they had some shitposting, but that was confined to an off topic part of the magazine like how Game Players had all sorts of hilariously funny shit in the opening pages where they were obviously having some fun.

Hell, the video game sexism bullshit was MOCKED back then. Game Players lampooned the hell out of this in one issue by posting a diagram of some skimply dressed anime chick and sardonically noting all the parts of her outfit that served as armor.

These days all modern games media wants to do is be preachy social cause thumping nonsense that tells me less about actual games and more about the issues and sex fetishes of the editors.

Megaroad 2012

F.B.T. IT'S A CONDITION!
kiwifarms.net
Thank Yahtzee for inspiring a generic of self conscious critics that now mutated to social commentary based reviews that Japan cant handle. Made worse by the fact companies like Sega is ass backwards in terms of allowing streaming
What did Yahtzee do? He's never seemed all that bad and I tend to get a laugh from him even if I disagree because he can make his points funny.

Win98SE

kiwifarms.net
What did Yahtzee do? He's never seemed all that bad and I tend to get a laugh from him even if I disagree because he can make his points funny.
Yahtzee also proved that he could actually make games, too. The John DeFoe series (starting with 5 Days a Stranger) was really, really good. I don't normally like adventure games, either. http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/games.htm

MrJokerRager

I like me some nice big boobs
kiwifarms.net
My only experience with games journalism is the G4 girls and Adam Sessler. I guess I was lucky to avoid all this gg shit when it happened. Anyways, can't think of anyone in the real world who would care about this stuff other than twitter and I'm sure the journalists mentioned here would hold their shopping bags closer to their bodies if a black man aged between 5 and 90 walked past by them.

ZMOT

kiwifarms.net
Hell, the video game sexism bullshit was MOCKED back then. Game Players lampooned the hell out of this in one issue by posting a diagram of some skimply dressed anime chick and sardonically noting all the parts of her outfit that served as armor.
in my country they hired models to cosplay and put it on the cover (and extra posters inside!). this was around 98/99.
ironically games journalism here turned to shit in the early 00's (it was never good, but since it was non-anglo there wasn't much choice and it wasn't outright insulting in the beginning). first time reading uk's edge in 2006 blew my mind.
for example they had ign reviews before it was a meme. still remember the one token female back then reviewing football manager of all games and criticizing it for not explaining soccer rules enough. also absolute pandering to various target demographics in the most obnoxious way (which got really bad once WoW became big, including e-celeb shit even back then)
in hindsight the cosplay stuff probably wasn't even ironic but what they thought the "juvenile gamer" in the 90s wanted to see.

The Unofficial Playstation Magazine was my drug of choice back in the day.

The cover artist they had was the shit, used to have this hanging on my wall when I was a kid.
View attachment 1092926
that looks like joe madureira it is: http://comicartcommunity.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=15145

check out battlechasers if you dig the art. word of warning tho, it's short and incomplete because he fucked off to make videogames (still a bit salty about that):

• Informative
Reactions: Judge Dredd

Fagnacious D

and The Dick of Destiny
kiwifarms.net
Some of the discs that came with Magazines were playable. I mean not just playable game demos but, they had weird little content you could actually go through like PC Gamer Magazine: Underground
(Playlist)
Unfortunately I was only able to find SnapmanGames who only played about 3 issues of it. I wonder if the other issues exist somewhere...

BrokenWokenBespoken

kiwifarms.net
Guy wrote the playbook on how to be a cynic in review. To stop believing in the hype and glitz and write thought provoking articles to an audience that had little taste at the time and bought whatever their company sold them

TL;DR

TaimuRadiu

Kaiserin
kiwifarms.net
Some of the discs that came with Magazines were playable. I mean not just playable game demos but, they had weird little content you could actually go through like PC Gamer Magazine: Underground
(Playlist)
Unfortunately I was only able to find SnapmanGames who only played about 3 issues of it. I wonder if the other issues exist somewhere...
They're probably up on archive.org

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net
It doesn't work when the people you're actively pissing off also actively hate you and don't just link to archives rather than to your shit, but also harass your advertisers and dox you and your family for shits and giggles and cost you millions for that shitty "bring back bullying" comment, etc. to the point you literally don't exist any more because you get Hulk Hoganed.
That's what you get when you think a brand name makes you "too big to fail", and don't have to worry about quality any more.

Guy wrote the playbook on how to be a cynic in review. To stop believing in the hype and glitz and write thought provoking articles to an audience that had little taste at the time and bought whatever their company sold them

TL;DR
I'm not so sure. Yes, the 00's guy in the comic is meant to be Yahtzee, but I think he built on the angry reviewer shtick that was made popular by AVGN, Nostalgia Critic, Spoony, etc. You could even argue that Consolvania was doing that pre-YouTube.

I think the reason reviewer got cynical is down to multiple things. Not least of which was Rodger Ebert saying that games were not art. It's why you cringe articles saying things like "Metroid Prime is the Citizen Kane of video games".

Dr. Geronimo

Echo chambers are bad for your health.
kiwifarms.net
(Playlist)
All the discs are out there in iso format

Your Weird Fetish

Intersectional fetishist
kiwifarms.net
My only experience with games journalism is the G4 girls and Adam Sessler. I guess I was lucky to avoid all this gg shit when it happened. Anyways, can't think of anyone in the real world who would care about this stuff other than twitter and I'm sure the journalists mentioned here would hold their shopping bags closer to their bodies if a black man aged between 5 and 90 walked past by them.
Game journalism peaked at X-Play and the whole industry should have been scrapped when G4 bought Tech Tv.

ducktales4gameboy

well known in this neighborhood
kiwifarms.net

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I didn't know where to put this, whether in culture war or games journalism but here seemed most appropriate.

So a little game called Escape from Tarkov recently set records on Twitch thanks to a promotional event where you got loot dropping in the game. It got so massive it overtook Fortnite at one point. Now, Escape from Tarkov is a ultra-hardcore shooter. When I say that, I mean it. You get shot, your limbs get broken and you limp. Your TTK is milliseconds without proper armor. Its basically equivalent to a close-range Arma without vehicles. And unique among games these days, the guns and armor and shit you go in with, if you die, can be looted off your body by other players. So it appeals to the autistic shooter market, the likes of DayZ and Rust.

Now, the developer is a small Russian outfit, mostly drunk on vodka. The games explosion in popularity made it get noticed by the usual suspects. I have to preface this with a few things. It has very little in the way of character customization (but its gun customization is like no other game in existence. It is simply unique at how much you can customize your weapons). You're either an angry Russian PMC or an angry American PMC. Clothes are actually a new feature. Beards and mustaches are actually just wearable items. Basically, its very much a beta game.

The first thing these people notice is "WHY ARE THERE NO FEMALE CHARACTERS?!" Well, like the ultra realistic gameplay, its based on a possible realistic scenario. You play as an operator of one of two PMC groups stuck in the middle of a civil war in a fictional former Eastern Bloc country. Everything has gone to shit and you're stuck in the capital, trying to survive and make your way out. Obviously, if women were involved, you're basically asking to be raped. An Eastern Soviet Bloc country sealed off from the entire world where the entire situation is completely desperate and so deteriorated UN soldiers are used as target practice? Yeah.

I'm just using wired, but you know these faggots, where one outlet has it, all of them do. BSG says its basically too much work, but honestly if they made female characters, every player would play one because of the smaller hitboxes and model. That's how the players, including myself, of this game are. But they covered it up by saying 'too much work' instead of 'it doesn't fit our vision for the game'.

Now note, these aren't military outfits. They're private military companies, which typically employ former special forces which are basically 100% male.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino