Games Journalism General -

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The EFT shit is funny because none of these people would play the fucking game if they added women anyway. They'd get 5 minutes in and realize half the keyboard was dedicated to different ways of checking ammo, then get shot in the head and ragequit. Plus, if Twitch is any indication, plenty of women are just fine playing the game as-is.
Tarkov is quite literally, the anti-gaming journalism game. I shall make a list why:

1. No tutorials. At all. Ever. There is nothing in this game to help you. It throws you in and goes 'lol, good luck'. You want to mod a gun? Better know real life gun shit, because all of the gun parts are licensed and if you google a part you're pretty much going to get the manufacturer's website. What is that health indicator? Who knows! How much damage does this bullet do? Don't know! Are the bolts worth keeping? Hah, bolts are unimportant (They're actually very important). Why am I doing no damage? (You're using shotgun with buckshot against a guy with ceramic plate armor and a face-mask). How do I know the layout of this map?
  2. All of your shit can be taken by anybody except for a small secure container. Spent an hour tricking out a gun? Shit, you lost it in 30 seconds, too bad.
  3. Hardcore 100% difficulty with hydration and food. No exceptions. You need to know what does what and it is not explained.
  4. Quests? Google is your friend.
  5. There is no VOIP and everyone is out to kill you and cooperation is non-existent unless you play with people.
  6. There is no HUD except for the lower left to see how slow/fast your character is going and the elevation they're at. So you don't know your health status (but you'll quickly be able to tell how fucked you are based on your vision, what limbs get blacked).
  7. Many times, you will be killed in one or two hits without explanation.
It is designed to be as unforgiving as humanly possible. It has major flaws, but will offer some of the most intense gameplay on the market. I had a bolt action fight where I was weilding a mosin at close range vs. a guy with a fully automatic AK. If I missed, I died.

Funnily enough, it does have a contingent of female streamers, so its not like any of this matters at all. Game journos cannot play this game period. It is not made for them and is only going to get worse over time.

Safir

The woman from Snowy River
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The first thing these people notice is "WHY ARE THERE NO FEMALE CHARACTERS?!" Well, like the ultra realistic gameplay, its based on a possible realistic scenario. You play as an operator of one of two PMC groups stuck in the middle of a civil war in a fictional former Eastern Bloc country. Everything has gone to shit and you're stuck in the capital, trying to survive and make your way out. Obviously, if women were involved, you're basically asking to be raped.
Well, you're no more asking to be raped as a woman than murdered and raped (with a penis or an object, depending on the number of witnesses) as a man in an Eastern Bloc civil war, but why are leftards so insistent on making the bad guys "diverse and inclusive"?

Shield Breaker

kiwifarms.net
I didn't know where to put this, whether in culture war or games journalism but here seemed most appropriate.

So a little game called Escape from Tarkov recently set records on Twitch thanks to a promotional event where you got loot dropping in the game. It got so massive it overtook Fortnite at one point. Now, Escape from Tarkov is a ultra-hardcore shooter. When I say that, I mean it. You get shot, your limbs get broken and you limp. Your TTK is milliseconds without proper armor. Its basically equivalent to a close-range Arma without vehicles. And unique among games these days, the guns and armor and shit you go in with, if you die, can be looted off your body by other players. So it appeals to the autistic shooter market, the likes of DayZ and Rust.

Now, the developer is a small Russian outfit, mostly drunk on vodka. The games explosion in popularity made it get noticed by the usual suspects. I have to preface this with a few things. It has very little in the way of character customization (but its gun customization is like no other game in existence. It is simply unique at how much you can customize your weapons). You're either an angry Russian PMC or an angry American PMC. Clothes are actually a new feature. Beards and mustaches are actually just wearable items. Basically, its very much a beta game.

The first thing these people notice is "WHY ARE THERE NO FEMALE CHARACTERS?!" Well, like the ultra realistic gameplay, its based on a possible realistic scenario. You play as an operator of one of two PMC groups stuck in the middle of a civil war in a fictional former Eastern Bloc country. Everything has gone to shit and you're stuck in the capital, trying to survive and make your way out. Obviously, if women were involved, you're basically asking to be raped. An Eastern Soviet Bloc country sealed off from the entire world where the entire situation is completely desperate and so deteriorated UN soldiers are used as target practice? Yeah.

I'm just using wired, but you know these faggots, where one outlet has it, all of them do. BSG says its basically too much work, but honestly if they made female characters, every player would play one because of the smaller hitboxes and model. That's how the players, including myself, of this game are. But they covered it up by saying 'too much work' instead of 'it doesn't fit our vision for the game'.

Now note, these aren't military outfits. They're private military companies, which typically employ former special forces which are basically 100% male.
It would require a lot of work, because they'd have to create new skeletons, animations, and skins. Besides, the female characters would have smaller hit boxes, as you said.

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well, you're no more asking to be raped as a woman than murdered and raped (with a penis or an object, depending on the number of witnesses) as a man in an Eastern Bloc civil war, but why are leftards so insistent on making the bad guys "diverse and inclusive"?
True enough but I have no idea. Coincidentally they should love it as bot PMCs are bad but the US one are the bad guys as they are invading Russian territory to support a shady as shit research outfit. But there is this insane push to do so.

It would require a lot of work, because they'd have to create new skeletons, animations, and skins. Besides, the female characters would have smaller hit boxes, as you said.
Another thing I thought of is easy for identification. Since in Tarkov there is NO team play unless you are grouped in a discord, if everyone plays as male and you see a female pc or NPC, you light that shit up. So it allows for easier identification of enemies too.

It's just not good mechanistically for the game with the atmosphere it is promoting.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Shield Breaker

cattle rancher

kiwifarms.net
Tarkov is quite literally, the anti-gaming journalism game. I shall make a list why:

1. No tutorials. At all. Ever. There is nothing in this game to help you. It throws you in and goes 'lol, good luck'. You want to mod a gun? Better know real life gun shit, because all of the gun parts are licensed and if you google a part you're pretty much going to get the manufacturer's website. What is that health indicator? Who knows! How much damage does this bullet do? Don't know! Are the bolts worth keeping? Hah, bolts are unimportant (They're actually very important). Why am I doing no damage? (You're using shotgun with buckshot against a guy with ceramic plate armor and a face-mask). How do I know the layout of this map?
  2. All of your shit can be taken by anybody except for a small secure container. Spent an hour tricking out a gun? Shit, you lost it in 30 seconds, too bad.
  3. Hardcore 100% difficulty with hydration and food. No exceptions. You need to know what does what and it is not explained.
  5. There is no VOIP and everyone is out to kill you and cooperation is non-existent unless you play with people.
  6. There is no HUD except for the lower left to see how slow/fast your character is going and the elevation they're at. So you don't know your health status (but you'll quickly be able to tell how fucked you are based on your vision, what limbs get blacked).
It is designed to be as unforgiving as humanly possible. It has major flaws, but will offer some of the most intense gameplay on the market. I had a bolt action fight where I was weilding a mosin at close range vs. a guy with a fully automatic AK. If I missed, I died.

Funnily enough, it does have a contingent of female streamers, so its not like any of this matters at all. Game journos cannot play this game period. It is not made for them and is only going to get worse over time.
Don't forget that even if you do manage to live long enough to explore a little bit of the world, you injure yourself on pretty much fucking everything. Walk over or near enough to barbed wire? expect to bleed.

However on their point, I think female scavs would make sense. I can't imagine all of the women are dead or raped to death. Russia, and eastern bloc countries have a history of very tough and very strong women. Obviously they need to deal with game play issues and polishing the game up a bit more before they'd ever need to think about that, but I could see female scavs in universe. That would make sense. However i'd also imagine seeing raiders and other high end NPCs having a bunch of naked or nearly naked female scav corpses around their hideouts if they did that, and you know these fucks would give them shit for it. However at the end of the day, you know they'd bitch about the only playable females being under armed scavs who are easy as fuck to kill. You know these types would bitch that their tough as nails female survivor is literally just target practice for some former spetsnaz or army rangers PMC with a 400k gun and armor that makes him impervious for her shitty mosin ammo.

Haramburger

kiwifarms.net

This is a great summary, I've heard a little bit about the game but didn't deep dive to see why it ticked off the media, this was very concise but informative.

I remember getting a shitload of Computer Gaming World magazines back in the day, and it's really saying something that some 15 years later I still remember articles I read in those and can't recall a single fucking article written by any of these modern outlets. So much of the utility behind these old gaming mags/sites was that the information truly wasn't available anywhere else, but nowadays I can get on YouTube/Twitch and watch someone play a game for a bit, then go to any number of forums and read more information about it if I want.
Also the magazines were a good way to acquire some good shareware demos and freeware/maps, when downloads would have taken ages and tied up your phone line as others have said.

I miss these lil' niggas like you wouldn't believe
1578933575396.png

PC Gamers' Coconut Monkey discs were surreal

Last edited:

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net
why are leftards so insistent on making the bad guys "diverse and inclusive"?
This has been a thing for a while, and since the New Guy meme political spergs like Sargon and Short Fat Otaku have been picking up on it.

3 theories that I have.
  1. Attracted to bad boys. There has always been a trend for women to date "bad boys", to the point where serial killers have large fan bases of women. It's why Nice Guys had that name before it changed to forever alone and incel. This attraction to bad boys comes with a large amount of excuse making on the part of feminists to say that nice guys were horrible, and bad boys were nice. This is the next logical step down that road.
  2. Whitewashing history. The left have this contradictory need to keep bringing up the past, like segregation in America, while simultaneously making everything agree with modern values. eg. Black female Nazi's in CoD WW2, or the gender neutral schools in Assassins Creed. Yet at the same time have the need to do the opposite (blackwashing?) to make history more evil than it was, like twisting stories in Battlefield V to make them more problematic than the events they were based on.
  3. They're stupid/It's part of the con. They either don't know or don't care about the thing they are demanding diversity in and just see it as ticking boxes. Plus it makes those "misogynerds" angry. This leads into the wider point about if social justice wants solutions or if they just want to be offended and are creating no win scenarios to keep the scam going. Best example I can think of is in the OP, when feminists demanded female soldiers in Call of Duty, and when Activision caved to their demands, feminists were horrified that women were getting shot, stabbed, and bombed.
A 4th option could be that they are pro communism, but their desire for woke bad guys goes beyond communism, like the previously mentioned black female Nazis.

Catgirl IRL

kiwifarms.net
We want playable women in Unity, Ubisoft are sexist!

We have playable women in Syndicate, but they fix a man's mistakes so it's sexist!

That was around the point I stopped listening to that shit.

Reactions: Scarface1

Xolanite

The world for me and my master will begin soon...
kiwifarms.net
YongYea pretends to be more like other video game journalists by sperging out.
Ugh, YongYea and his 50 word headlines.

Same writer from the communism article.

Gita Jackson

She's leaving Kotaku on the 21st to go to Motherboard which I don't know why since all these sites share the same lame brain zombie opinions that you'd think it was a bunch of white as fuck Becky's writing this.

Honestly surprised me to find out that this chick wasn't white because her writing is as milquetoast and predicable like any other NPC.
View attachment 1092666

Gonna take a wild guess she has had a pretty cushy life and has no real semblance of a "struggle" or really anything human (but her complexion gives her an immediate 2000 points on the oppression scale!!), hence the brain damage take on "check out Communism man, it's radical dooode lol!"
Is her struggle not dressing like a sped? She needs to return all of that shit back: the outfit, the glasses, the hair, the twitter handle, her first name, and whatever she calls herself having in that room.

Megaroad 2012

whoops
kiwifarms.net
Ugh, YongYea and his 50 word headlines.

Is her struggle not dressing like a sped? She needs to return all of that shit back: the outfit, the glasses, the hair, the twitter handle, her first name, and whatever she calls herself having in that room.
I forgot what picture I posted and went back to look, only to notice there's some weird photoshop scribble thing going on off to her left.
Screenshot_20200114-192711_Chrome.jpg

What is she trying to hide?

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole

Water-T

I MEANT TO FILE CHARGES AGAINST THE WRONG CHRIS!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So then they can complain that players are "forced" to kill women and POC characters.

InspMagnum

kiwifarms.net
So time for an unrelated tangent because this has been brewing in my brain for almost 6 years now and I need some autistis to vent this to.

Does anyone else remember back in 2014 (because I vividly remember this) back before Far Cry 4 was released, the box art to the game was shown off, and journos went absolutely ape shit over it? It had the main villain (who everyone thought was white at first) holding a grenade pin as another man (who everyone recognized as local native man) holding the grenade. Journos accused it of being racist, like kotaku and even Jim "Time to slim" Sterling made a video calling it racist as well all because Ubisoft didn't explicitly make it clear that the guy on the cover was the bad guy.

Because pic related doesn't drive the point home that this dude is evil, gotcha...
1579059765621.png

I think my point is how Journos will always look for something to be outraged at, and all this does is further limits creative expression. This happened a matter of months before GG, and I find it fascinating to go back to the pre-GG world of games journalism. As bad as things are today, at least there is legitimate push back against this shit, and now journo sites are finally going out of business because no one is buying their bs anymore. But god, those were some dark days in the early '10s.

AirdropShitposts

Jake Alley is @SecretGamerGrrl's glandular problem
kiwifarms.net
They also threw a fit because clearly that's a gay dude and THAT'S OFFENSIVE TOO!

Then they threw a fit when 5 wasn't a MAGAHAT murdering simulator which they wanted but had actually messed up and diverse characters lol

Also love how 4 has one of the best twists ever in a game, the BioShock twist done infinitely better to where the game doesn't even happen.

Some of the catering is so stupid like in the new Modern Warfare, the female character should be an actual fucking ruthless terrorist like was suggested but they defang her because she's female which leaves the entire plot obviously coming from miles away. Even though they show this chick totally murdering random dudes with throwing knives casually even though why killing them is okay isn't explored. It's so tonally off.

And I'm pretty sure that a lot of this led to stuff like them changing the location of the Highway of Death, which now they can't win on. Also how they never implemented the idea they had where in the flashbacks you could cause more terrorists (or turn characters against you) in the modern day set stuff by your actions in the past. Especially after the white phosphorus nothingburger.

Then all these fags won't stop wanking off over Spec Ops: The Line, which I liked when it came out too but the last five years or so has turned into this stupid woke idol when it's not the only game to portray its wars as negative. Even in the military genre. The Medal of Honor: Allied Assault team basically split into three groups, two of them (aka not Call of Duty) did sequels that were not as superhuman hero war glorifying as Allied Assault. 2015 did Men of Valor in Vietnam which has all kinds of war sucks stuff. And the EA team did Pacific Assault which has all kinds of war against the Japanese really really sucked stuff. (Also "Pearl Harbor was totally not very fun to be in! LOTS OF HURTING!")

Really, Spec Ops is perfectly lined up with what this simpleton cohort wants. It says "WANTONLY MURDERING PEOPLE IS NOT COOL" and there's no shades of grey to it. It's not the Uncharted "hold on, I gotta murder about a thousand natives real quick, then we'll get back to our snarky adventures" hand wave but it's also not an epic pondering of the nature of violence either. It doesn't do anything like questioning the necessity of violence as a subordinate which any of these other war shooters would have to do because you're a messed up psychopath. The "twist" is that it doesn't celebrate it. (After hours of celebrating it.)

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I forgot what picture I posted and went back to look, only to notice there's some weird photoshop scribble thing going on off to her left.
View attachment 1098991

What is she trying to hide?
What is it with the pig rings anyway? Nobody looks good with those. She looks like a total ooga booga. She even has a shirt with a watermelon on it. Holy fucking Christ, really just begging for the slurs, isn't she?

Megaroad 2012

whoops
kiwifarms.net
What is it with the pig rings anyway? Nobody looks good with those. She looks like a total ooga booga. She even has a shirt with a watermelon on it. Holy fucking Christ, really just begging for the slurs, isn't she?
I went back to see if there were any other pics out of curiosity of the thing she took the time to scribble over. Instead, all the previous photos have been deleted and now this is the first image of her to greet us:

Screenshot_20200114-211305_Chrome.jpg

As an aside, while scrolling through her twitter I found this word salad (do Kotaku links always take a decade to archive?):

Pa'lante, Kotaku

I think it's someones farewell message to his readers and friends but I don't really know because it's so all over the place and ironically needs a fucking editor.

cattle rancher

kiwifarms.net
I went back to see if there were any other pics out of curiosity of the thing she took the time to scribble over. Instead, all the previous photos have been deleted and now this is the first image of her to greet us:

View attachment 1099098

As an aside, while scrolling through her twitter I found this word salad (do Kotaku links always take a decade to archive?):

Pa'lante, Kotaku

I think it's someones farewell message to his readers and friends but I don't really know because it's so all over the place and ironically needs a fucking editor.
Sad thing about her is, she would be a really attractive lady if she got rid of the wokeness. Get rid of the nose ring, lose the attitude and way of carrying herself and all that. I don't get why so many younger women make the choice to ruin themselves with the woke SJW shit. Even a lot of the troons, they could be handsome men if they decided to take care of themselves, instead they put on a dress but never attempt to pass, so they end up looking like freakshows. Do these people not understand how this ends up making them look like people you wouldn't want to associate with unless you are equally woke? Is it like snakes and color, something to show the otherwise unaware that it isn't worth the risk in interacting with them?

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Sir Wesley Tailpipe

Miller

You're gonna extract HIM?!
kiwifarms.net
Then they threw a fit when 5 wasn't a MAGAHAT murdering simulator which they wanted but had actually messed up and diverse characters lol
I remember one white guy hack from IGN or Gamespot chose to play as a black character and couldn't understand why every NPC wouldn't throw racist insults at him but instead they would talk to him like a normal human being. At one point he had a panic attack when an NPC said something about "Obama-loving libtards".

Some of the catering is so stupid like in the new Modern Warfare, the female character should be an actual fucking ruthless terrorist like was suggested but they defang her because she's female which leaves the entire plot obviously coming from miles away. Even though they show this chick totally murdering random dudes with throwing knives casually even though why killing them is okay isn't explored. It's so tonally off.
It really felt like the Strong Woman should have been the morally grey character instead of her brother. It also made no sense that she would be the leader of a group of men and women, especially in that part of the world. The way that Infinity Ward rewrote the Highway of Death was really disgusting, especially when they claimed that they wanted to tell a "mature" story but somehow the main bad guy was a crazy russian general who acted like a moustache-twirling villain. There's plenty of things that were wrong in this game, like the CIA guy who spend the entire game tipping his fedora and sacificed himself in hope to have a glimpse at the Strong Woman's pussy.

Then all these fags won't stop wanking off over Spec Ops: The Line
Spec Ops: The Line is one of the most pretentious "games" ever made. It's on the same level of "muh games are art" nonsense as Gone Home, Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us.
They're paid to write about toys, they shouldn't forget that.

Tags
None