Games Journalism General -

Secret Asshole

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Game Journalism is dying. Kotaku has been hemorrhaging money ever since Telemundo bought them and as I understand it, Polygon barely breaks even. Vice axed Waypoint.

YouTubers and influencers are where it's at. Some get paid 5 grand to play a game for an hour. And there's no way most of these journos are making anywhere near 50k. They're making much less than that.

Games journalists are around for us to mock. That's the only function that they serve. They are incompetent fools who sell no copies of games and are forced to whore themselves out for access.

Any company bowing to them is either incompetent or has the same ideology that they do. There is no press they can generate that gamers don't get from YouTube.

Megaroad

Do you accept people of the Jewish persuasion?
kiwifarms.net
Jeremy Parish was an early proto-cow for me as his head grew big because his personal site was gaining traction from a Kotaku article about his anti-FF7 rant.

Guy was and is still total flake, but I feel like his contempt he'd displayed in his writings and his personal forums, Talking Time, was where this new era of journalism came from.

Now a days I'm more familiar with his TDS on twitter, unironically saying yikes, engaging too much with @Secretgamergrrl, and having the most unwarranted self important looking bio pic imaginable.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
After being linked to this thread (Great OP, @Judge Dredd), I'm wondering if there are any worthwhile game journalists who are either fun writers or approach vidya in a genuinely meaningful/insightful way. Or maybe I'm just too :optimistic: and refuse to believe that every games journalist is a total assclown.
You have to get the Retro games Magazines.

Those will have interviews with the creators, massive articles and breakdowns of games, pages of design artwork from the games themselves, some are now coming with shit like a free rasberry pi and roms to get you started on building emulators. The high end magazines are 20 bucks but they're a few hundred pages and thicker than a nation geographic. Some magazines will just cover 1-3 games in a whole issue and it's closer to an art book than anything else.

One issue was how people first saw the full res renders of Final Fantasy 9's backgrounds.

purpleboy

Exceptional the Individualhog
kiwifarms.net
The only journo I somewhat respect at this point is Erik Kain, fuck the TDS-afflicted SJW journos like Kuchera and Alexandra and fuck the spergy Anti-SJW journos like Artefact and Billy D.

Snake of Diamond

Hiss...whatever
kiwifarms.net
I remember seeing that "should killing female gamers online be considered rape" article and thought it was a joke but that's who I am. Maybe I got too much hope but some times I can't believe someone is this incompetent or stupid to sit down and type a fucking article about such a thing. The title alone should have made your own brain leave to go on a vacation.

Pargon

Internet Segregationist
kiwifarms.net
"Journalist" Jason Schreier (one of Quinn's OG whiteknights) whines about one of Bethesda's twitter accounts mocking him, reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees at the danger this puts journalists in in a "post GamerGate" world:

View attachment 756244
"Bawww, this successful company won't play our shell game. Better link it to Orange Badman so we can at least call 'em a buncha fascists."

It's magically malicious~

Anonymus Fluhre

No man fears what he has seen grow
kiwifarms.net
"Journalist" Jason Schreier (one of Quinn's OG whiteknights) whines about one of Bethesda's twitter accounts mocking him, reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees at the danger this puts journalists in in a "post GamerGate" world:

View attachment 756244
This asshole wonders why Zenimax doesn't anything to do with them.

By the way, if this guy was a journalist like he says he is he'd know that Donald doesn't get along well with his siblings. The only time Robert has ever seemed to support Donald was when he became president.

Schreier is such a fag
That's a given as the only way he could get a job is by giving a blowjob.

Last edited:

Kheapathic

kiwifarms.net
Even with the hot expose Jason did about the shit-show that Anthem was; I can't take him seriously since the whole "Lolis have huge tits" fiasco. I don't know how hard it is to get something so simple so wrong. So even when he writes the occasional good article, I have to question how much of what he's writing is his misinterpreting what's being told.

Walter Temple

SJW Turncoat
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
"Bethesda is litterally the orange man! I bet GAMERGATE 2.0 did this! DAMN YOU SARGON!"

While it's never been officially stated, its believed the reason Kotaku has been barred from review copies is because they leaked the plot and location for Fallout 4 well before the game was ever announced. They should wear the review ban as a badge of honor saying they were attacked for doing real journalism or try back dooring that shit with a bunch of sneaky shit to get a review copy and proudly announce that.

But instead they act like the limp wristed weak faggots they are, and everyone points and laughs.

If I remember correctly, they tried that. Then they were roundly smacked around for it; the general sentiment being roughly: "Get over yourself; game 'journalism' is a branch of marketing and everybody knows it. You weren't undercover in the EA sweatshops getting the "real" news, this didn't serve the public good by being something that people needed reporting on. In this case, you abused your access to privileged information, you've failed to kiss the ring of Paul Marketing and you're on the shit list now. It's far too late to pull 'You can't censor the news!" and (hilariously) 'ethics in video game journalism' at this point.

KiwiLedian

I place my anger firmly on other people
kiwifarms.net
I don't even consider the opinions of games journalist anymore. Watching gameplay from Youtube channels like gameranx and Skill Up is far more informative of the game itself because they don't bullshit you with politics and actually spell out the plot and focus of the game.
Developers are even moving to just having Youtubers streaming the game's in preview states to garner impressions over giving reviewers an early copy. One is far cheaper than the other and I think that it will become more common as time goes on.

AnOminous

do you see what happens
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I don't even consider the opinions of games journalist anymore. Watching gameplay from Youtube channels like gameranx and Skill Up is far more informative of the game itself because they don't bullshit you with politics and actually spell out the plot and focus of the game.
Games "journalists" aren't even interested in any of that shit. They'd rather screech and reeee all in unison, writing exactly the same article about how you shouldn't buy some game because a minor background character you wouldn't even notice without it being pointed out was voiced by someone who said nigger 10 years ago or some equally irrelevant bullshit with nothing to do with the game.

KiwiLedian

I place my anger firmly on other people
kiwifarms.net
Games "journalists" aren't even interested in any of that shit. They'd rather screech and reeee all in unison, writing exactly the same article about how you shouldn't buy some game because a minor background character you wouldn't even notice without it being pointed out was voiced by someone who said nigger 10 years ago or some equally irrelevant bullshit with nothing to do with the game.
It's funny they bother. Do people care and actually listen to them? I find that the power of their outrage is waning every year. Soon, companies will learn to just ignore them and their crying will be worth squat.
Worst of all this is that in the era before social media was the norm, games journalists actually did give something of a shit about what they did. Wasn't always perfect but at least they focused on the game and were people who enjoyed games themselves.

Medicated

Not the fun kind
kiwifarms.net
Yeah most streamers and let's play videos make Game Journalists almost redundant. Because in order to keep access the Journalists have to shill for the game, they have to give it a good review 90% of the time.

This is becoming a problem with youtubers though, as publishers offer contracts for the same thing, that the youtubers don't divulge. So for the most part the average gamer will be left in the dark. So the issue will probably never be solved. As soon as someone gets enough mainstream pull, the companies will drive a truckload of money up to their house.

AnOminous

do you see what happens
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
It's funny they bother. Do people care and actually listen to them? I find that the power of their outrage is waning every year. Soon, companies will learn to just ignore them and their crying will be worth squat.
Worst of all this is that in the era before social media was the norm, games journalists actually did give something of a shit about what they did. Wasn't always perfect but at least they focused on the game and were people who enjoyed games themselves.
In the days when people bought paper magazines with names like PC Gamer and Computer Gaming World and all the platform specific ones like ones for Amiga, Commodore, Nintendo, etc., the people who wrote for them were obsessive gaming nerds much like the readers and would only focus on things gamers would actually care about. Some of them were shills just as now but at least they were shilling about shit people who bought games cared about like the content of the game, what the mechanics were like, what other games it was like, etc. You could just adjust your credibility score of it based on how much of a shill they were.

The current crop of useless losers doesn't say anything anyone considering buying something would give a scintilla of a shit about. It's just SJW glurge that nobody ever in the history of the world bought a game over.

It's honestly really amazing any of these useless cocksucking cornholing dumb motherfuckers have any job anywhere at all or that utterly worthless outlets like Kotaku even exist.

SiccDicc

Ratatatatatatatatatat!
kiwifarms.net
This is becoming a problem with youtubers though, as publishers offer contracts for the same thing, that the youtubers don't divulge. So for the most part the average gamer will be left in the dark. So the issue will probably never be solved. As soon as someone gets enough mainstream pull, the companies will drive a truckload of money up to their house.
If I remember right the FTC has been trying to crack down on that. I don't know how successful they've been, though, with that EA Partnership thingy coming around to bite people in the ass when they're honest.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino