Games Journalism General -

Safir

ノークレーム・ノーリターン
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The virgin Chris Avellone vs the chad Alexis Kennedy.

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net
"Christ centered gamer' lmao. Are people really clamoring to get the Evangelical Christian perspective on video games?
They were one of the bigger sites that didn't cave during GamerGate.

most review sites don’t give scores below 7 (for whatever reason) so 7 is the “average” (most common) score for a game that is ok but not great.
The reason (imo) is inflation due to payola. Let's say you're a game reviewer. You think this new AAA game is a turd, but you don't want to be cut off from the publusher. You want to give the game a score low enough to not look like a recommendation, but high enough that you don't get Jeff Gerstmann'd. 7 out of 10 it is.

1) Scrub their internet histories, but a little at a time - mass Tweet deletions set off red flags

2) Never go anywhere alone with a woman. If you have to meet a female coworker one on one, do it in an open room with at least another person present. NEVER ACCEPT A HOTEL ROOM INVITE EVER.
Wouldn't work. If they don't have anything on you, they'll just make something up.

The new worst site in gaming brings you Last of Us 2: The Incel Review.
They're fucking doubling down on the narrative, HARD.
That's a great article. I love how not-mad they are. I had my doubts, but that article convinced me they are 100% not-mad.

It's a shame the comments can't be archived, because they are tearing it down, and the few people running defense are being downvoted to oblivion.

The reason (imo) is inflation due to payola. Let's say you're a game reviewer. You think this new AAA game is a turd, but you don't want to be cut off from the publusher. You want to give the game a score low enough to not look like a recommendation, but high enough that you don't get Jeff Gerstmann'd. 7 out of 10 it is.
And this is why Games Journalism has become absolute trash. They are so afraid of not having a review out on launch day that they companies have them by the ball sack. Who cares if your review is out 2 weeks after launch, I put more value in a reviewer if they bought the game themselves than if they got a super special pre-release edition for free.

Screw Danlon

Saeba-punk
kiwifarms.net
And this is why Games Journalism has become absolute trash. They are so afraid of not having a review out on launch day that they companies have them by the ball sack. Who cares if your review is out 2 weeks after launch, I put more value in a reviewer if they bought the game themselves than if they got a super special pre-release edition for free.
Part of the problem is that the industry has become so obsessed with trying to get people to preorder or buy day 1.
If a review is out 2 weeks after the game, all it’s really good for is giving ammunition to people who want to fight about whether or not it’s actually good.

People should really have learned from No Man’s Sky. And I say that as one of the few people who didn’t feel burned by the game because I already didn’t expect to like it much.
Then again, it’s not like the reviewers actually did much to stop that train wreck. Every single preview I saw was licking the dev’s balls and talking about how deep and amazing the game would be.

Lucas Silva #4903141

kiwifarms.net
Seems like the Giant Beastcast dragged someone's name through the mud over...a bad breakup that is none of the listeners' business.

I also want to take this chance to say that Abby was a fucking mistake. As was Ben, but you know what? He had a few moments of being funny at least. Abby is just too incompetent and offers little to nothing to make up for her bad takes. Also, I started watching Giant Bomb on youtube way after Ryan's death, and even then, I noticed them getting worse and worse...I saw Dan leaving, Drew leaving...Jeff and Brad are barely keeping me interested.

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net
Seems like the Giant Beastcast dragged someone's name through the mud over...a bad breakup that is none of the listeners' business.

I also want to take this chance to say that Abby was a fucking mistake. As was Ben, but you know what? He had a few moments of being funny at least. Abby is just too incompetent and offers little to nothing to make up for her bad takes. Also, I started watching Giant Bomb on youtube way after Ryan's death, and even then, I noticed them getting worse and worse...I saw Dan leaving, Drew leaving...Jeff and Brad are barely keeping me interested.
The podcast itself. https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/episode-266/2970-20418/free-podcast

Jeffs responce here.

What stood out to me was a comment chain on Jeffs tweet. They've memory holed the guy, "flagging" all content with him in so it won't appear anymore.

• Informative
Reactions: Francis York Morgan

Water-T

Zach made me clean the shower with my mouth again
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

This is retarded. There was no rape, assault, etc.

This is a dumb cunt who didn't get texts at her convenience, and fucking over this guy for it. Giant Bomb should be sued for going along with this libelous bullshit.

Sir Wesley Tailpipe

kiwifarms.net
Same. I watch most of those as well. I'll add a few more I like: Wrestling With Gaming, Top-Hat Gaming Man, Modern Vintage Gamer, Taki Udon.
They're all mostly focused on retro and modding/hacks. I don't often watch reviewers who do new games.

I'm a degenerate pirate, so for the most part I just pirate the game and try it myself rather than watch someone else play it (or listening to them shill it). I do still buy games here and there though, usually second-hand. I'm on a personal crusade against shitty practices.
Top Hat Gaming Chav is dogshit. He really should learn what words mean before using them to sound smart.

lemmiwinks

кремлеботы
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Top Hat Gaming Chav is dogshit. He really should learn what words mean before using them to sound smart.
I'm not about to simp for him, I don't watch all his videos. That was just a handful of channels that were in my recommends that day. Do you have a specific video in mind, or that's a general observation?

I like that he covers weird older gaming hardware and I'm mostly familiar with the series he did on cancelled consoles. I dislike his (attempts at) humor. I haven't watched many of his videos in the last year.

Sir Wesley Tailpipe

kiwifarms.net
I'm not about to simp for him, I don't watch all his videos. That was just a handful of channels that were in my recommends that day. Do you have a specific video in mind, or that's a general observation?

I like that he covers weird older gaming hardware and I'm mostly familiar with the series he did on cancelled consoles. I dislike his (attempts at) humor. I haven't watched many of his videos in the last year.
His constant use of “within which” where it should just be “within” is the biggest I recall, but I haven’t watched his shit in two or so years now. Aside from that, he’s got a habit of using five words in the place of two, and often in ways that make his words contradict the message he’s trying to convey.

lemmiwinks

кремлеботы
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
His constant use of “within which” where it should just be “within” is the biggest I recall, but I haven’t watched his shit in two or so years now. Aside from that, he’s got a habit of using five words in the place of two, and often in ways that make his words contradict the message he’s trying to convey.
I never noticed that before, but now I am sure it will be impossible not to notice.

• Feels
Reactions: Next Task

Ihavetinyweewee

But massive grotesque balls
kiwifarms.net
The podcast itself. https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/episode-266/2970-20418/free-podcast

Jeffs responce here.

What stood out to me was a comment chain on Jeffs tweet. They've memory holed the guy, "flagging" all content with him in so it won't appear anymore.
As some point I figured out that Jeff Gerstmann is a phony asshole. I stopped listening to the show around the double team of Patrick Klepek/Austin Walker.

Even though they eventually left, it was very clear the death of Ryan Davis left the site rudderless...

Abby sounds like a shitshow and GB seems like it's on life support...

Lucas Silva #4903141

kiwifarms.net
God bless this giant bomb subreddit. Take them to task, and by them, I do not just mean the mods. Let me quote a few of the comments:

I think there's a culture of blacklisting in video games journalism, see Danny O'Dwyer's post from yesterday. Also, IIRC around when the gamergate stuff happened I believe Patrick shared a slack or something for a "game journo pros" group all coordinating boycotting some of the journalists that weren't agreeing with them on that. I think GB are very concerned about the optics of associating with people accused of stuff on Twitter. Abby's comment on "it doesn't matter if the allegations are true or not" and Vinny's comment "I'll apologize to Matt if the narrative changes" both allude to an urgent need to be seen to be on the right side of an issue.
> Abby's comment on "it doesn't matter if the allegations are true or not"
That's disgusting tbh
I don't think I have read a more disgusting thing come from a Giantbomb staffer. What in the hell is that shit? Why would you believe an allegation that you admit isn't true? I know the US is kind of crazy right now but come on.

Tags
None