Games Journalism General -

Lucas Silva #4903141

kiwifarms.net
At this point Abby has done more damage to the site than Ryan dying I think. I like everyone praising her for being completely clueless at video games and "journalism" as if that brings some sort of highly refined opinion and knowledge base that needs to be heard. All this for Vinnys hunger of jewish women.
Yeah. It's just sad at this rate, the only few positive moments I got out of Abby were through "Best of Giant Bomb" monthly videos, and even then, those moments were few and far in between. But don't say that, no, you're a bad fan if you dare to be critical!

That's a real issue, too, that the Giant Bomb fandom tends to take criticism as a personal attack.

Win98SE

kiwifarms.net
God bless this giant bomb subreddit. Take them to task, and by them, I do not just mean the mods. Let me quote a few of the comments:
What's shocking about that thread is that their subreddit has been an endless circlejerk of woke talking points after Abby tried to filibuster the GOTY content years ago over claims of sexism. The mods at one point were banning any criticism of women because it "100% comes from a place of toxic sexism" and continued to lock the subreddit down for each GOTY following. The end result was GB changing their approach to GOTY material to avoid anything considered controversial, which turned it into a fucking snoozefest of 14 hour podcasts literally running down all the games released that year. Jeff eventually apologized for the lackluster content and said it would need to be retooled for 2020.

I think Giant Bomb's last good year was 2016. I can't imagine something like this (language NSFW) happening on any stream of theirs today.

Lucas Silva #4903141

kiwifarms.net
The end result was GB changing their approach to GOTY material to avoid anything considered controversial, which turned it into a fucking snoozefest of 14 hour podcasts literally running down all the games released that year. Jeff eventually apologized for the lackluster content and said it would need to be retooled for 2020.
Wow, I actually missed Jeff apologizing for that. It was that bad, huh? I just ended up skipping Giant Bomb's GOTY discussions.

Reactions: Judge Dredd

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net
@Lucas Silva #4903141 You're the first post Ryan Davis / post CBS buyout GB fan I've seen, so it's interesting to see your opinions on the site continuing to go down hill. I peaced out shortly after Austin joined. Back in the day the biggest complaint was that Brad sometimes sucked at games or that someone didn't like a review score they gave.

I have to ask, what brought you to GiantBomb?

At the time I was a fan they were the site that had strong principles, refusing to bend to corporate paychecks or going with popular opinion. They were also ahead of the curve when it came to the let's play format. That was long gone by the time you found them.

Ihavetinyweewee

But massive grotesque balls
kiwifarms.net
@Lucas Silva #4903141 You're the first post Ryan Davis / post CBS buyout GB fan I've seen, so it's interesting to see your opinions on the site continuing to go down hill. I peaced out shortly after Austin joined. Back in the day the biggest complaint was that Brad sometimes sucked at games or that someone didn't like a review score they gave.

At the time I was a fan they were the site that had strong principles, refusing to bend to corporate paychecks or going with popular opinion. They were also ahead of the curve when it came to the let's play format. That was long gone by the time you found them.
The last point you make I think illustrates why I view Jeff as a phony.

I don't think Jeff was ever principled. I think he just wanted control, and a bigger piece of the pie. He was planning his own site even before the Kane/Lynch episode. I think it was pure self indulgent/promoting grandstanding...

As soon as it was convenient, he merges with the company he had problems with?

All for a big CBS paycheck? On top of that, charging people for premium fucking content? When you have a parent company?

Fuck that guy...

He also let dipshits like Klepek and Walker ruin shit.

Not to mention, cow towing to idiotic parts of the fanbase.

You want to hire a woman? Fine...

But, get a chick who meshes with your identity(a hang). Not one you have to make constant concessions for.

Especially because they seem to attract faggot orbiters who wreck communities.

Fuck GB...

Lucas Silva #4903141

kiwifarms.net

Every now and then, I would see them come up on /v/, namely during E3. Then I saw the "Best of Giant Bomb" videos and I thought "okay, I gotta subscribe, these dudes are funny" - and over time, I saw clips of the premium content, which made me like them even more. I would say 2017 is when I started following them...or very late 2016, it was definitely after Austin and Patrick Klepek fucked off. Some of the quick looks were fun, too. I went back and saw the Sonic Boom quick look and man, it reminded me of retsupurae's Mortal Kombat Sub Par Mythologies video. They were just riffing on a shit game and it was a good time watching them do it. The camaraderie among members of GB is what made their content for me.

Over time, though, cracks began to show. I heard about them defending Alison Rapp (the Beascast was apparently really bad about this, but I never checked), some quick looks were misfires, and eventually, I limited the Giant Bomb content I watch to: Quick Looks of bad games, the bombcast (after someone posts the timestamps), and...that's about it. Their hitman videos are always a hit, but they don't do them often. But even then, the bombcast had its downfall. Ben just doesn't have a great voice, and a few takes of his were dumb as fuck, like in some game he compared controlling orcs to real life slavery...Jeff wasn't having it, luckily he was there to be the voice of reason on that one - and then there was the Jessica Price talk

My god, this was definitely a low point. I still kept up with them looking for humor in their videos, but even that was mostly a losing battle. If I wanted some kind of satisfaction from people agreeing with my vidya takes, I could just look at other youtubers, I don't necessarily need Giant Bomb for that. Looking back at it, though, I didn't care that much about Drew leaving, but Dan leaving Giant Bomb was a big loss. As much as he was a dumbfuck, he had a lot of funny moments in him, and was one of the few reasons I tried the Beastcast at all. The rest of the crew is mostly lackluster these days, tbh. I'll give Jeff his due, he still has his moments of wisdom, humor, still a threat, etc. but that's about it.

tl;dr - the camaraderie is what makes Giant Bomb worth giving a try at all - you can see that the fandom doesn't care to see them play games alone on the channel today. The videos where it's just one of them playing during the quarantine don't get many views.

Stasi

kiwifarms.net
The videos where it's just one of them playing during the quarantine don't get many views.
I wonder what numbers they are actually pulling and how successful/sustainable the site is these days. Looking at the youtube channel the numbers are abysmal, we're talking Mundane Matt levels.

Interesting to read about your experience btw. I followed Jeff after he got canned from Gamespot, before there even was a GB, and peaced out around the time Ryan died. Site lost its charm around that time for me so interesting to hear it is/was still pulling in fans (admittedly I haven't really bothered keeping up so can't speak to the quality of contente since maybe the mid 2010s).

As an aside, does anyone remember thos spin-off sites they did (Tested, Screened, Comic Vine), are they all dead?

Win98SE

kiwifarms.net
I wonder what numbers they are actually pulling and how successful/sustainable the site is these days. Looking at the youtube channel the numbers are abysmal, we're talking Mundane Matt levels.
Their YT content has never been popular outside of the Best Of videos and random clips. Around the time Abby and Ben joined they made a big push to overhaul their YT channel and started making those lame "YouTuber thumbnails" where it's them making a crazy face with some big, bold text. I remember there being some backlash to that. Also, as an end result of turning both their site comments/forum and subreddit into a No Fun Allowed Zone, the angry part of their userbase started to swarm the YT video comments and do their complaining there.

About a year ago, Jeff said the site subscriptions were at an all-time high, although I don't remember where I saw/heard this, so it might be off. Regardless, the Bombcast is commonly listed as a top 5 or top 3 podcast among its peers and probably fetches a lot in ad revenue.

Sir Wesley Tailpipe

kiwifarms.net
Yeah. It's just sad at this rate, the only few positive moments I got out of Abby were through "Best of Giant Bomb" monthly videos, and even then, those moments were few and far in between. But don't say that, no, you're a bad fan if you dare to be critical!

That's a real issue, too, that the Giant Bomb fandom tends to take criticism as a personal attack.
Giant Bomb is a site by the rëtärds, for the rëtärds, and of the rëtärds.

KiwiLedian

Hands up, don't U-Turn
kiwifarms.net
Tags
None