Games Journalism General -

Vault Boy

Corporate Mascot of Vault-Tec.
kiwifarms.net
Every single time, this happens every single time someone mentions someone else.
View attachment 1427611
Don't start something that you can't finish, bitch.

Oh, and I have a hard time taking Gamespot seriously when they rated that Spongebob remake just 1 point higher than that incredibly shitty Ride to Hell: Retribution. I don't care if the reviewer genuinely disliked it, but he knew damn well that 2/10 would've given the site extra traffic.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Don't start something that you can't finish, bitch.

Oh, and I have a hard time taking Gamespot seriously when they rated that Spongebob remake just 1 point higher than that incredibly shitty Ride to Hell: Retribution. I don't care if the reviewer genuinely disliked it, but he knew damn well that 2/10 would've given the site extra traffic.
His review didn't hold water.

Stasi

kiwifarms.net
This is only kind of related to games journalism. This video popped up in my recommends about some autistic murdered. Apparently he sent Giant Bomb a load of stuff years ago and was featured on a mailbag video. When he got arrested people flipped out at GB over the video.

Jeff's community post about it is still up.

AsbestosFlaygon

It's never over when I'm here
kiwifarms.net
This is only kind of related to games journalism. This video popped up in my recommends about some autistic murdered. Apparently he sent Giant Bomb a load of stuff years ago and was featured on a mailbag video. When he got arrested people flipped out at GB over the video.

Jeff's community post about it is still up.
I gotta say jeff's reasoning for not taking it down's pretty on point, granted not sure if they would still do that nowadays, but still they did a pretty smart move imo.

• Agree
Reactions: Stasi

Next Task

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Literally every major figure gets death threats. Laura Bailey's story isn't notable.
About the only interesting thing about the death threats she received is that they were attacking her for the actions of her character, which is always a sign of exceptional thinking. It's also the kind of exceptional thinking indulged in more by the 'can't separate fiction from reality' SJW-types, rather than the boogeyman that is 'gamers', but of course it all gets blamed on incel chud manbabies.

Just once it would be nice for it to be acknowledged that female fans are responsible for a lot of heinous, toxic and threatening behaviour as well, but that goes against the narrative, no matter how many death threats the wives of the stars of Supernatural get, or the murderous rage that ensued after Reylo shippers were denied.

wholetthegodsout

kiwifarms.net
Every now and then, I would see them come up on /v/, namely during E3. Then I saw the "Best of Giant Bomb" videos and I thought "okay, I gotta subscribe, these dudes are funny" - and over time, I saw clips of the premium content, which made me like them even more. I would say 2017 is when I started following them...or very late 2016, it was definitely after Austin and Patrick Klepek fucked off. Some of the quick looks were fun, too. I went back and saw the Sonic Boom quick look and man, it reminded me of retsupurae's Mortal Kombat Sub Par Mythologies video. They were just riffing on a shit game and it was a good time watching them do it. The camaraderie among members of GB is what made their content for me.

Over time, though, cracks began to show. I heard about them defending Alison Rapp (the Beascast was apparently really bad about this, but I never checked), some quick looks were misfires, and eventually, I limited the Giant Bomb content I watch to: Quick Looks of bad games, the bombcast (after someone posts the timestamps), and...that's about it. Their hitman videos are always a hit, but they don't do them often. But even then, the bombcast had its downfall. Ben just doesn't have a great voice, and a few takes of his were dumb as fuck, like in some game he compared controlling orcs to real life slavery...Jeff wasn't having it, luckily he was there to be the voice of reason on that one - and then there was the Jessica Price talk

My god, this was definitely a low point. I still kept up with them looking for humor in their videos, but even that was mostly a losing battle. If I wanted some kind of satisfaction from people agreeing with my vidya takes, I could just look at other youtubers, I don't necessarily need Giant Bomb for that. Looking back at it, though, I didn't care that much about Drew leaving, but Dan leaving Giant Bomb was a big loss. As much as he was a dumbfuck, he had a lot of funny moments in him, and was one of the few reasons I tried the Beastcast at all. The rest of the crew is mostly lackluster these days, tbh. I'll give Jeff his due, he still has his moments of wisdom, humor, still a threat, etc. but that's about it.

tl;dr - the camaraderie is what makes Giant Bomb worth giving a try at all - you can see that the fandom doesn't care to see them play games alone on the channel today. The videos where it's just one of them playing during the quarantine don't get many views.
I feel like a big portion of this thread could easily be devoted to a continual chronicling of Giant Bomb's fall from grace. I loved the site at one point, but lately it just seem like the content has gone downhill. I think most of the staff have just become jaded and cynical as well as being in complete fear of saying the wrong thing and getting canceled on twitter.

I'm not a fan of the new hires. Especially Abby who just seems like someone who is not really interested or knowledgeable about games and is also extremely annoying. One of her recent new "features" is literally a series about her trying to the musical artist St. Vincent to play Fortnite with her. I guess it's some sort of ironic attempt to be humorous, but whatever joke is there seems to wear thin by the end of the first episode and the whole thing just feels really self-indulgent attempt to user her position to worship some celebrity.

Judge for yourself...

OnMoTi

kiwifarms.net
People still watch Giant Bomb? I turned that shit off in 2016 when, during their "game of the year" awards, they cried about "white supremacy" because Palmer Luckey paid for some pro-Trump billboards or something.

Water-T

Zach made me clean the shower with my mouth again
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Looks like Anita got herself a new grift: an online harassment hotline. We can expect Chelsea to start getting assmad for Anita copying her CON scam.

But i'm sure it'll be a rousing success just like CON, HeartMob, and Bully Hunters were!

Archived link to Kotaku article

• Informative
Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole

Megaroad 2012

FUCK IT UP, PIGFACE!
kiwifarms.net
Looks like Anita got herself a new grift: an online harassment hotline. We can expect Chelsea to start getting assmad for Anita copying her CON scam.

But i'm sure it'll be a rousing success just like CON, HeartMob, and Bully Hunters were!

I'll give Chelsea this: I remember her where Anita had to come out of the woodwork for me to remember her at this point.

Gamespot's editor with the incredibly stunning and brave take that anyone who didn't like LoU2 must be a misogynist

View attachment 1427528

Lol that ratio.

Going that twitter feed and you can tell he's just some angry manlet who barely gets attention.

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net

Except it doesn't actually work. From the website -

"The Games and Online Harassment Hotline is a free, text message-based, confidential emotional support hotline.
We’re close to launching but not ready yet!"

She actually has been working on this for a while, the twitter account was started in October 2019, meaning they started even before this - probably August IIRC.

The "DONATE" button obviously works, because you can't have a scam without it. I wonder if they're really close?

$464.88 - Raised
9 - Donations
$50,000 - Goal

Only ~$49,600 to go!

This scam (if the numbers are correct) is bringing in like $60 a month. Anita is fucking done.

It looks like it mainly just links to her twitch account, there's not much else here.

Catgirl IRL

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I suspect her defending the Cards Against Humanity guy until he stopped paying her helped kill off what little support she had left. Even her grovelling non-apology couldn't weasel out of the fact she knew it was going on but did nothing until that money stopped.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Judge Dredd

lemmiwinks

кремлеботы
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Except it doesn't actually work. From the website -

"The Games and Online Harassment Hotline is a free, text message-based, confidential emotional support hotline.
We’re close to launching but not ready yet!"

She actually has been working on this for a while, the twitter account was started in October 2019, meaning they started even before this - probably August IIRC.

The "DONATE" button obviously works, because you can't have a scam without it. I wonder if they're really close?

$464.88 - Raised
9 - Donations
$50,000 - Goal

Only ~$49,600 to go!

This scam (if the numbers are correct) is bringing in like $60 a month. Anita is fucking done.

It looks like it mainly just links to her twitch account, there's not much else here.
I have no evidence to support this, but my suspicion at the time this was getting a PR push was that Anita either used funding from a Canadian Govt cybersecurity initiative (announced just before her website went live), or that she plans to elicit funding from this initiative. I heard that she similarly used a bursary/fund from the government in the past to pad her scamming, so this wouldn't be an unprecedented grift for her.

Francis York Morgan

FBI Special Agent
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Anita is fucking done.
She's been done for awhile. Every video game project she's been tied to has underperformed or faced significant backlash. According to one source from Bioware, there was significant internal backlash when she was brought in to speak to the Anthem team. The industry is a slow one but it does seem to be learning that Anita is poison to anything she touches.

Tags
None