Games Journalism General -

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
She's been done for awhile. Every video game project she's been tied to has underperformed or faced significant backlash. According to one source from Bioware, there was significant internal backlash when she was brought in to speak to the Anthem team. The industry is a slow one but it does seem to be learning that Anita is poison to anything she touches.
Yeah, but there's a pretty sizable difference between "I'm not an in demand consultant anymore" and "I've been working on this project for a year and it hasn't even raised $500" levels of done.

That's $500 with her podcast, twitch channel, kotaku and her other buddies all promoting it for nearly a full calendar year. It's horrendous. Homeless people can panhandle $500 faster than she can crowdfund it.

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net
According to upper echelon gamers, the games press have been caught plagiarizing again.
The TL:DW is that PCGamer was caught plagiarizing, fired the guy responsible, and gave the money from the articles to the guy who originally made the content. IGN was caught stealing a video, complete with a half arsed attempt to crop out the original creators watermark, and issued a non-apology. To me, the big news is that big tech ignored the DMCA from the creator.

I feel like a big portion of this thread could easily be devoted to a continual chronicling of Giant Bomb's fall from grace. I loved the site at one point, but lately it just seem like the content has gone downhill. I think most of the staff have just become jaded and cynical as well as being in complete fear of saying the wrong thing and getting canceled on twitter.
I'm tempted to do a expanded post going over it, but I didn't think anyone but me cared. Plus, it's more depressing than funny. I barely have the time to keep up with threads I want to read here, so going back through the GiantBomb archives for evidence is out of the question.

She's been done for awhile.
For me, her official done-ness was when she tried to jump start a gaming #metoo moment with Zoe Quinn, only for Alec to kill himself a day or two after the accusation.

When gaming #metoo did happen, I didn't notice Anita anywhere.

Water-T

Zach made me clean the shower with my mouth again
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
She's been done for awhile. Every video game project she's been tied to has underperformed or faced significant backlash. According to one source from Bioware, there was significant internal backlash when she was brought in to speak to the Anthem team. The industry is a slow one but it does seem to be learning that Anita is poison to anything she touches.
The backlash and dropping sales for TLOU II pretty much proved that letting Anita shape your game's narrative is akin to letting Brianna Wu do the character design.

murdered meat bag

kiwifarms.net
As some point I figured out that Jeff Gerstmann is a phony asshole. I stopped listening to the show around the double team of Patrick Klepek/Austin Walker.

Even though they eventually left, it was very clear the death of Ryan Davis left the site rudderless...

Abby sounds like a shitshow and GB seems like it's on life support...
her inability to explain why dream daddy deserved to be goty and the whining when people weren't sold on it was the beginning of the end. they changed the format the next year i believe too.

she really drags down every conversation with her "i dont know what that is but here's my opinion on it" interjections.

it was kind of fun to listen vinny, dan or jeff the jew talk about something and then wait for abby to stop the conversation because it didnt involve her interests.

Saint Skittles

kiwifarms.net
her inability to explain why dream daddy deserved to be goty and the whining when people weren't sold on it was the beginning of the end. they changed the format the next year i believe too.
Dan getting Abby stuck in a "Why did you like it? Because it's so good though. Why is it so good? Because I like it. Why do you like it..." loop might've led to some awful things but it was fucking hilarious to listen to at the time.

Mooger Meng

kiwifarms.net
Dan getting Abby stuck in a "Why did you like it? Because it's so good though. Why is it so good? Because I like it. Why do you like it..." loop might've led to some awful things but it was fucking hilarious to listen to at the time.
I'm willing to cut a little slack for tautological loops like that, if it's clear the person has some kind of idea of what they're trying to get across but don't know the terms to properly articulate it. I've had a few myself, and usually it takes a bit of prodding from another party to help the proverbial tires get a grip on logic again. Failing that, even admitting there's something you can't quite get a handle on after some assistance and letting it go is the next best thing.

Given the state of game journalism, I have no doubt she did the verbal equivalent of unrelenting spastic flailing on the subject.

murdered meat bag

kiwifarms.net
I'm willing to cut a little slack for tautological loops like that, if it's clear the person has some kind of idea of what they're trying to get across but don't know the terms to properly articulate it. I've had a few myself, and usually it takes a bit of prodding from another party to help the proverbial tires get a grip on logic again. Failing that, even admitting there's something you can't quite get a handle on after some assistance and letting it go is the next best thing.

Given the state of game journalism, I have no doubt she did the verbal equivalent of unrelenting spastic flailing on the subject.
she liked dream daddy because woke as fuck. otherwise its mediocre visual novel. i think dan asked "what makes it stand out from other visual novels other than an amazing groundbreaking theme?" and she got stuck in the loop

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
she liked dream daddy because woke as fuck. otherwise its mediocre visual novel. i think dan asked "what makes it stand out from other visual novels other than an amazing groundbreaking theme?" and she got stuck in the loop
It stuck it to "the man". I don't think she can say or even realizes that she likes it mostly because its existence supposedly hurts a made up group of people.

When I occasionally listened to the Beastcast she had the ability to stop the conversation with a "joke" that was so bad that no one even registered it as a joke and Vinny had to ask her what she meant. She's sooooo unfunny, she seems to think that if she leans into it then it's ironic/meta and good.

She's definitely a diversity hire and I think if someone asked in a casual setting what her job was she would start with "right now I..." - you know what that means, the vidya job is just a temporary thing, a stop along the way. She definitely still believes that her sketch comedy career will take off even though her comedy/jokes are atrocious, so that will never happen - you know what that means? If Giantbomb is still around in five years and she's still employed there she will for sure be a resentful turbo-cunt because life didn't go the way she had expected. She's 27 now, if she's there when she passes 30 she will have a life crisis and that's when childhood dreams really starts to die.

Hopefully she gets pilled up and drunk, has a meltdown and screams "you stole my youth" at a end of the year show.

edit: anyone have a photo of Jeff's wife? I've been curious about that one.

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
This year isn't their year, last year wasn't their year, next year won't be their year. The GiantBomb "core" is getting older each year and they can't seem to hold on to talent for very long, At some point Jeff (or someone else) is going to want to hang it up. They really need to find the "next wave" of younger talent or the next "new idea" because right now they're coasting on inertia from years and years ago.

That reddit thread is also correct - that despite making fun of streamers/youtubers they have really shitty home setups and struggle to carry streams on their own. It's even more baffling when half of the staff has been involved with video production for more than a decade, they're owned by a gigantic corporation, and there are several members of staff (Jan, Jason) who are tasked with production as a primary responsibility.

Emperor Julian

kiwifarms.net
Noticed a little quirk from Kotaku writter Luke plunkett the other day, luke wrote an article rationalizing women soldiers on Battlefield 5
Now this may seem like the most tepid of hot takes but heres the spin
What angry dorks mean when they say “historical accuracy” is not a game that’s accurate to the time being presented, then, but accurate to the aspects of that time (or the popular historical re-telling of it) that are sympathetic to their current political and cultural beliefs.
so Luke out and out says if you object to fake historical events it represents your IRL positions? Okay luke that seems fair.

Now lets look at lukes review of CK2 expansion-sons of abraham were you can play Jewish nobles

Luke apparantly thinks it takes brass balls to let you can play as Jewish people. He's a lot more restrained of the hows and why's of this and apparantly their's some implicit controversy
Like I said, this shouldn't be a big deal, but since Israel's place in history is always a cause for controversy with somebody - probably the reason it doesn't feature much in similar series like Civ - you'd be forgiven for thinking this was an act of brass balls from developers Paradox.
You'll notice how their was no public backlash with this....so the question is like who exactly finds it contraversial that Jews are allowed to succeed in game? Who have you been talking to luke? Why do you think the idea of playing a historical cultures and peoples is somehow more on edge than playing totally inaccurate WW2 combatants?
Now he says he's totally okay with jews being in the game but who exactly is he defending the game from?

How does that work into his statement on battlefield thesis? I mean afterall we established people uncomfortable with going off script historically are just sexist, why are you so concerned about the (marginely small) chance israel could be restored Luke? How is that a hot topic over say Islam being destroyed by Orthodox resurgance? Or Germany obliterating poland?

Why was luke the only one to bring this up?

Last edited:

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net
When I occasionally listened to the Beastcast she had the ability to stop the conversation with a "joke" that was so bad that no one even registered it as a joke and Vinny had to ask her what she meant. She's sooooo unfunny, she seems to think that if she leans into it then it's ironic/meta and good.
She sounds just like Patrick. I wonder how long until some "problematic" photos come out.

One Patrick "joke" that stuck in my memory for some reason what his le epic trollololol of a diner. The prank? He went to a redneck diner, and set Duel of Fates from the Star Wars soundtrack four times in a row. Why aren't you laughing?

ColdOnes

kiwifarms.net
Noticed a little quirk from Kotaku writter Luke plunkett the other day, luke wrote an article rationalizing women soldiers on Battlefield 5
Now this may seem like the most tepid of hot takes but heres the spin

so Luke out and out says if you object to fake historical events it represents your IRL positions? Okay luke that seems fair.

Now lets look at lukes review of CK2 expansion-sons of abraham were you can play Jewish nobles

Luke apparantly thinks it takes brass balls to let you can play as Jewish people. He's a lot more restrained of the hows and why's of this and apparantly their's some implicit controversy

You'll notice how their was no public backlash with this....so the question is like who exactly finds it contraversial that Jews are allowed to succeed in game? Who have you been talking to luke? Why do you think the idea of playing a historical cultures and peoples is somehow more on edge than playing totally inaccurate WW2 combatants?
Now he says he's totally okay with jews being in the game but who exactly is he defending the game from?

How does that work into his statement on battlefield thesis? I mean afterall we established people uncomfortable with going off script historically are just sexist, why are you so concerned about the (marginely small) chance israel could be restored Luke? How is that a hot topic over say Islam being destroyed by Orthodox resurgance? Or Germany obliterating poland?

Why was luke the only one to bring this up?
The people who play CK2 often try to commit the most heinous acts in the game. Why would they be offended by a few Jews? The game's even moddable anyway.

Tags
None