Games Journalism General -

Cyclonus

kiwifarms.net
So is games journalism dead yet? I keep hearing about how the woke sites are dying because everyone goes to youtube for reviews, but I can't help but feel that's wishful thinking.

Water-T

MY PRECIOUSESSSSSS!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So is games journalism dead yet? I keep hearing about how the woke sites are dying because everyone goes to youtube for reviews, but I can't help but feel that's wishful thinking.
Another Cuntaku staff member got shown the door this week - this time their video editor.

Pretty much almost all video editor staff under the Gawker media umbrella got shitcanned.

The ship is still sinking. Slowly, but sinking nonetheless.

Cardenio

The Gunt stares back at you.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Another Cuntaku staff member got shown the door this week - this time their video editor.

Pretty much almost all video editor staff under the Gawker media umbrella got shitcanned.

The ship is still sinking. Slowly, but sinking nonetheless.
Makes sense, how can an old dinosaur publication compete with the thousands of potential viral streamers? Lets look at Slowtaku's Youtube Page and glance at their view counts.
kotaku numbers.JPG
Not embarrassing numbers.... if you were a starting amateur Youtuber. Nothing in the last month has broken 100k views which is very troubling. Especially when you compare it to say an Aussie Youtuber.
gman lives numbers.JPG
This is really not up for debate, if you're a game developer you know that lots of potential buyers will watch videos of your game on Youtube for free. It is way more important for a game publisher like Digital Devolver to get their review codes out to freelance critic like GManLives than it is for them to get Kotaku's attention.

Now initially I wanted to just laugh at Kotaku, but my browsing discovered something far more shocking, Giant Bomb is clearly dying.
giant bomb dying.JPG
GmanLives's review of "Carrion" has over 300k views, GiantBomb's video only has 13k. GiantBomb probably isn't going anywhere because I'm guessing Jeff Gerstmann negotiated a long profitable contract from CBS but it goes to show how media personalities have to keep working hard or they'll wake up washed up before they know it. Having a publication to backup your name no longer matters in the new online landscape. It now fully rides and dies on personality.

Last edited:

Win98SE

kiwifarms.net
Giant Bomb's appeal was always the podcast and their paywalled content. Besides a few viral moments, their YT views have always been in the low digits. But you're still right - a personality-based website that spent years mocking streamers and YouTubers is now being forced to compete with them and it's very apparent they can't keep up.

Early GB was a bunch of wreckless people with access to commercial-grade video production equipment, resulting in something just a few notches above public access shows. Now it's old dudes who hate new video games and want you to watch dull, humorless streams of obscure NES titles where technical fuckups are supposed to still be funny despite them having no excuse to not know OBS from the bottom up. I'm being hyperbolic, but close enough.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
Makes sense, how can an old dinosaur publication compete with the thousands of potential viral streamers? Lets look at Slowtaku's Youtube Page and glance at their view counts.
View attachment 1506836
The only thing that gets view on Kotaku is the Highlight Reels where they cut together footage from better, non-kotaku, sources.

Polygon is doing something right, they have stellar views compared to Kotaku and GiantBomb. Their views are largely comparable to Gmanlives, who's got 1/3rd the amount of subscribers and isn't paying for 20 employees, and that's not exactly good news, especially when considering all the advantages they have over a rando with a youtube channel.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: rotollo
Tags
None