Games Journalism General -

The 8 Of Spades

Head of PR For The Horror of Inexorable Entropy
True & Honest Fan
Pretty much and I fully expect SocJus to implode the same way.

Here's the thing though, and I'm not trying to full doomer, but i was reading an old tumblr thread here over the last week from 5-6 years ago to now and I realized that even then people were saying "oh, this won't even be a thing in 5 years, It'll die out" and now we're looking at Mayo Monsters Bad as federal education policy.

If it's dying It's sure damaging a whole lot of shit with its death throes on the way down.

Next Task

True & Honest Fan
Summary: They're sex-positive until they can weaponize it against someone.
I'd say it's more that, to them, sexual desire is great and empowering - except for straight men, where it's oppressive and rapey. So troons writing all manner of creepy fetish articles and women publishing underage slash is all great, but the moment a straight man (who hasn't pretended to be a woman) even suggests a woman in a game is attractive, out come the mobs of outrage.

There's certainly an aspect of weaponising it against people they don't like. But you notice how even the most anodyne expression of straight male sexuality gets called creepy, and the moment a man has been creepy that means he's also likely a sex pest, an abuser, a coercer, even a rapist. The Weeb Wars is a concrete example of how that works, and Nick Robinson is one of many examples of it.

To them, straight male desire is inherently bad. Evil, even. That they're blinded to troons being straight men is just your usual SJW hypocrisy and double think on display.

CheezzyMach

Viva Latina
Here's the thing though, and I'm not trying to full doomer, but i was reading an old tumblr thread here over the last week from 5-6 years ago to now and I realized that even then people were saying "oh, this won't even be a thing in 5 years, It'll die out" and now we're looking at Mayo Monsters Bad as federal education policy.

If it's dying It's sure damaging a whole lot of shit with its death throes on the way down.
It took the Religious Right 20 years to die. Cultural zeitgeists typically last 10-15 years and we're just on year 6 of this shit.

This isn't even the first woke zeitgeist we've had, the 60s and 70s were even worse.

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
Pretty much and I fully expect SocJus to implode the same way.
It already is/has.
TL:biggrin:W, the whole "Male feminist turns out to be a sex pest" is the "conservative family values politician turns out to be gay" for millennials. There's no shortage of examples.

That video was made 3 years ago, and the phrase has been around since at least 2016. So there's 3 more years of accusations. MovieBob is on the front page.
Lab Zero Games is another that I can think of.

It took the Religious Right 20 years to die. Cultural zeitgeists typically last 10-15 years and we're just on year 6 of this shit.
I think it's going to be dead in a few years, or at least dead as it can be. The same way the hippy movement defined the 60s, or environmentalism defined the 00s, social justice (and the fashion) with define the 10s. The movement is basically dead and we're just waiting for that to filter out of companies. I haven't seem someone dressed as Tumblr in real life for a couple of years.

Game journalism lasted longer than I predicted because I didn't expect tech companies to keep buying them, keeping them on life support.

I put the cut off date in gaming around 2023, maybe 2026 given that Capcom went full woke recently. Their woke games will under perform and will be considered offensive anyway, they will abandon wokeness, but they'll be too far along on current woke projects to remove the wokeness, so those games will be quietly shipped and the new wave of unwoke games will start. We'll have people quitting or get quit. Others will drop social justice and pretend it never happened.

We're seeing this in comics and when Penguin Random House announced Jordan Peterson's new book. [Brand] have no loyalty to the ideology and those that do are too low ranking to do anything about it. Those that have woke at high levels will go down with the ship, blaming capitalism the whole way.

Edit: Fixed typo.

Last edited:
It already is/has.
TL:biggrin:W, the whole "Male feminist turns out to be a sex pest" is the "conservative family values politician turns out to be gay" for millennials. There's no shortage of examples.

That video was made 3 years ago, and the phrase has been around since at least 2016. So there's 3 more years of accusations. MovieBob is on the front page.
Lab Zero Games is another that I can think of.

I think it's going to be dead in a few years, or at least dead as it can be. The same way the hippy movement defined the 60s, or environmentalism defined the 00s, social justice (and the fashion) with define the 10s. The movement is basically dead and we're just waiting for that to filter out of companies. I haven't seem someone dressed as Tumblr in real life for a couple of years.

Game journalism lasted longer than I predicted because I didn't expect tech companies to keep buying them, keeping them on life support.

I put the cut off date in gaming around 2023, maybe 2026 given that Capcom went full woke recently. Their woke games will under perform and will be considered offensive anyway, they will abandon wokeness, but they'll be too far along on current woke projects to remove the wokeness, so those games will be quietly shipped and the new wave of unwoke games will start. We'll have people quitting or get quit. Others will drop social justice and pretend it never happened.

We're seeing this in comics and when Penguin Random House announced Jordan Peterson's new book. [Brand] have no loyalty to the ideology and those that do are too low ranking to do anything about it. Those that have woke at high levels will do down with the ship, blaming capitalism the whole way.
Environmentalism defined the late 80's to mid to late 90's.

Look at all the shit from Save the Rainforest to shows like Captain Planet.

Wingnut

WARNING: Tighten all bolts to the end
These people are evil, this isn't a difference of opinion or political outlook, the behavior these people engage in is flat out evil.

And the damage they've done to video game journalism and the wider culture surrounding video games is hard to take, I think a lot about what gaming journalism/gaming culture was in the 2000s, it wasn't perfect, but it used to be a lot more fun, vibrant and exciting., game journalists actually gave a shit about video games.

Game Journalists are to journalism like mosquitoes are to insects.
The overall group is disliked by most people, but they're one of worst in the bunch.

Oh, and the whole bloodsucking and passing around diseases thing.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Sweeney did nothing wrong.
Cultural zeitgeists typically last 10-15 years and we're just on year 6 of this shit.
Coincidentally, 10-15 years is how long it typically takes for a child to grow up and realize their culture warrior parents are lame ass fags. There's already been several alarmist Catparty articles in A&H about kids getting fed up with their parents SJW/prog bullshit and acting out. It makes me think about what a Gone Home made in 2043 but taking place in 2020 would look like. Youth returns to a mysteriously empty family home after being away for a while, turns out mom and dad is on a dilation retreat after a recent double sex-change, sister didn't want to be brother anymore and let her hair grow out then ran away to attend barber school...

I'd say it's more that, to them, sexual desire is great and empowering - except for straight men, where it's oppressive and rapey. So troons writing all manner of creepy fetish articles and women publishing underage slash is all great, but the moment a straight man (who hasn't pretended to be a woman) even suggests a woman in a game is attractive, out come the mobs of outrage.

There's certainly an aspect of weaponising it against people they don't like. But you notice how even the most anodyne expression of straight male sexuality gets called creepy, and the moment a man has been creepy that means he's also likely a sex pest, an abuser, a coercer, even a rapist. The Weeb Wars is a concrete example of how that works, and Nick Robinson is one of many examples of it.

To them, straight male desire is inherently bad. Evil, even. That they're blinded to troons being straight men is just your usual SJW hypocrisy and double think on display.
A hatred of straight male sexuality is one of the core tenets of SJW ideology.

This isn't even the first woke zeitgeist we've had, the 60s and 70s were even worse.
Man, that's really not funny, perish the thought.

Syaoran Li

Prime Minister of Ireland
True & Honest Fan

If anything defined the 2000's in the same way environmentalism did for the early 90's, it'd probably be either atheism or Anti-war sentiment, both thanks to Bush

Man, that's really not funny, perish the thought.

Agreed, but if these cultural zeitgeists have a 10-15 year lifespan on average, then we might be nearing the end of the Woke Left's heyday now that the 2020 election is pretty much over and the BLM coups might end up being the Woke Left's "West Memphis Three" moment where they win the initial battle but decisively lose the war and alienate the normies in the long term.

Depending on how you gauge it, the Woke Leftism that began in 2011 and ramped up around 2014 has likely hit its peak with 2020 and will probably be dead by 2024 at the latest.

If Biden gets sworn in but still doesn't get the Senate, there's not much Harris and him can do even with executive orders since the federal courts are more hostile to them than during Obama's term and there's a good chance much of the pandering is just that and with Orange Man gone, BLM and the Woke Left are now politically useless and potentially financial poison in a post-COVID world.

I think the rise of Critical Race Theory under Obama wasn't an intentional policy of his but something that was happening for years before then but didn't become a noticeable thing outside academia until Obama's second term.

If Trump does somehow win at the last possible nanosecond of the eleventh hour, then that itself will be a huge blackpill for the Woke Left and there's still the issue of a post-COVID recession giving a lot more actual bite to "Get Woke, Go Broke"

Even if Trump does somehow pull a second term via the Supreme Court at the last possible second, the DNC is going to clean house and corporations will shift focus in the post-Corona economy

If Capcom really is going woke in earnest and wasn't just paying lip service to a diversity consultant for expediency's sake, then it might last slightly longer up until the first big woke game of theirs bombs worse than Dino Crisis 3 did and that is going to get other Japanese devs to notice woke pandering is pointless even in the Western markets.

My personal guess is that woke will noticeably die out by 2022-2023 at the earliest barring some unknown circumstance and will become less of a thing as more of the old projects that began production in the late 2010's or were greenlit during the Woke Left's heyday finish cycling out and more of them flop.

2020 probably artificially extended the pop culture side of things with all the delays but not by much, particularly if enough titles and movies bomb badly enough.

CheezzyMach

Viva Latina
If anything defined the 2000's in the same way environmentalism did for the early 90's, it'd probably be either atheism or Anti-war sentiment, both thanks to Bush

Agreed, but if these cultural zeitgeists have a 10-15 year lifespan on average, then we might be nearing the end of the Woke Left's heyday now that the 2020 election is pretty much over and the BLM coups might end up being the Woke Left's "West Memphis Three" moment where they win the initial battle but decisively lose the war and alienate the normies in the long term.

Depending on how you gauge it, the Woke Leftism that began in 2011 and ramped up around 2014 has likely hit its peak with 2020 and will probably be dead by 2024 at the latest.

If Biden gets sworn in but still doesn't get the Senate, there's not much Harris and him can do even with executive orders since the federal courts are more hostile to them than during Obama's term and there's a good chance much of the pandering is just that and with Orange Man gone, BLM and the Woke Left are now politically useless and potentially financial poison in a post-COVID world.

I think the rise of Critical Race Theory under Obama wasn't an intentional policy of his but something that was happening for years before then but didn't become a noticeable thing outside academia until Obama's second term.

If Trump does somehow win at the last possible nanosecond of the eleventh hour, then that itself will be a huge blackpill for the Woke Left and there's still the issue of a post-COVID recession giving a lot more actual bite to "Get Woke, Go Broke"

Even if Trump does somehow pull a second term via the Supreme Court at the last possible second, the DNC is going to clean house and corporations will shift focus in the post-Corona economy

If Capcom really is going woke in earnest and wasn't just paying lip service to a diversity consultant for expediency's sake, then it might last slightly longer up until the first big woke game of theirs bombs worse than Dino Crisis 3 did and that is going to get other Japanese devs to notice woke pandering is pointless even in the Western markets.

My personal guess is that woke will noticeably die out by 2022-2023 at the earliest barring some unknown circumstance and will become less of a thing as more of the old projects that began production in the late 2010's or were greenlit during the Woke Left's heyday finish cycling out and more of them flop.

2020 probably artificially extended the pop culture side of things with all the delays but not by much, particularly if enough titles and movies bomb badly enough.
I think it'll be mid 2020s at the earliest also don't think they'll be a big wokeplosin like you do I think the trend will just quietly fade out overtime as it becomes unfashionable among the youth like other trends before it.

Syaoran Li

Prime Minister of Ireland
True & Honest Fan
I think it'll be mid 2020s at the earliest also don't think they'll be a big wokeplosin like you do I think the trend will just quietly fade out overtime as it becomes unfashionable among the youth like other trends before it.

I've always said woke will die with a whimper not a bang, at least culturally speaking.

I'd say 2022-2023 at the earliest if the financial flops are bad enough but more likely 2024-2026 is a good time to estimate for woke's demise

Any flops big enough to hasten the demise won't be a "wokesplosion" but more of a case where studios change the strategy to get more money. They won't mention why they'd change, but it'll be subtle and steady instead

AnOminous

there ain't no turning back
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
I've always said woke will die with a whimper not a bang, at least culturally speaking.
I think it will be more a cumulative function of just more and more people having had enough of this bullshit and telling these people to take a hike. Even monstrously stupid entities like the megacorporations will eventually realize not a single attempt to cater to these people has resulted in profit. They will probably be the last people to notice. I think even the woketards themselves will realize it first. Then, as this shit ceases to be fashionable, they'll start bleeding members, much as, eventually, the hippies started slowly cutting off their hair and wearing normal clothes and becoming embarrassed at those ridiculous pictures of themselves in bell bottom jeans.

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist

Yes. It also made a comeback in the 00's. Maybe it was mostly a UK thing.

Coincidentally, 10-15 years is how long it typically takes for a child to grow up and realize their culture warrior parents are lame ass fags. There's already been several alarmist Catparty articles in A&H about kids getting fed up with their parents SJW/prog bullshit and acting out. It makes me think about what a Gone Home made in 2043 but taking place in 2020 would look like. Youth returns to a mysteriously empty family home after being away for a while, turns out mom and dad is on a dilation retreat after a recent double sex-change, sister didn't want to be brother anymore and let her hair grow out then ran away to attend barber school...
I want to see those articles.

I've wondered what will happen to SJWs when they're old, as it's hard to imagine the Zoe Quinns of the world in an old folks home, but I never thought about what the Gone Home equivalent would be.

Assuming they haven't given up on games by then, I can imagine the parents making a Gone Home where the main character would be hiding from a Trump death squad in a house, sold out by the non-trans brother who was radicalised by YouTube and GamerGate or something.

Their children will likely make ultra macho heroes like Duke Nukem or Serious Sam. Only instead of quoting Evil Dead, he'll be flashing the ok sign and drawing pepes.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

I want to see those articles.

They might have been part of the Tranny news megathread or merged into another, I went back ten pages and found this one.

What no one anticipated was the effect of lockdown on LGBT parents.
For Ellis, abuse by their own children is so new as to stun victims. “I have a lot of clients who come to me about familial abuse that they don’t realise can count as abuse,” she said. “I’m seeing a fair amount of abuse from children to parents.”
One of her clients, for example, “has abusive teenagers, often verbally abusive using a lot of homophobia,” she said.
It’s part of a wider problem affecting parents of all sexual and gender identities. The victims commissioner Dame Vera Baird informed the Justice Committee on Tuesday that parental abuse by teenagers under lockdown “is a newer kind of domestic abuse,” that “is a worry. There’s a sense in which there’s a spike likely to emerge of this kind of domestic abusive complaining which is just coming through now.”

There's been other articles about kids calling their dad fag and they're not necessarily homosexuals or anything.

A future "fuck you mom" with this one. Mother keeps daughters 7 year old friends away from her because they're racists, they're also the only children around in her age group.

My Gone Home 2043 joke would have the twist be a girl like that running away from home at 17 to live a normal life and become a cis-hairdresser.

Attachments

• Crymore.PNG
    Crymore.PNG
    321.9 KB · Views: 94
While Cyperpunk 2077 might end up being a shit show its fun watching Video Game Journalist loose their mind that Streamers are getting keys before they are

Oh so this is why they're demanding that Twitch gives a certified tag to a user now which would put a heavy bias on the promoted algorithm. So the little people can't stream the big boy games before the licensed journalist fags.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Oh so this is why they're demanding that Twitch gives a certified tag to a user now which would put a heavy bias on the promoted algorithm. So the little people can't stream the big boy games before the licensed journalist fags.
That's the difference I see between game journos and streamers. Streamers build their own audience, game journos wants to work at X to get the audience they built. Then complain about gamers and drive that audience away. They can't build a decent sized audience on their own that they can live off of as an indie, because very few people like what they put out. They need the corporate welfare of places like Waypoint to make any money.

Well, not always true, the amount of people that care about their shit can sustain some amount of shitty socjus gamejourno tubers/streamers, but then that market is tapped and always in flux. Plus, that audience is seemingly permabroke and demand that everyone else should give them money, a streamer panhandling in a sea of panhandlers will require some serious hustle to make ends meet.

Water-T

Tess Holliday front butt
True & Honest Fan
While Cyperpunk 2077 might end up being a shit show its fun watching Video Game Journalist loose their mind that Streamers are getting keys before they are

Streamers are getting keys because they haven't been spending the past few years bitching about the game and trying to paint the creators as Nazis.

Polygon recently REEEd about the game (even invoking gamergate because of course they did), and yet every other ad on their site was for the game. Leave it to Polygon to be hypocrites that will demonize a game and seek to profit from it at the same time.