Games Journalism General -

Meat Target

I survive on caffeine and anger
The lady who accused Kuntaku of exploiting her account of sexual assault way back in early 2020 (http://www.nathalielawhead.com/cand...ring-your-metoo-with-kotaku-a-cautionary-tale) has returned after Cecilia D’Anastasio apparently showed up in Forbes's 30 under 30 (which raises a lot of questions about Forbes but I digress). She wrote a blogpost back in December:

Then CD responded by calling her a liar and a stalker which made her even madder:
View attachment 1828363

I'm curious to see if there'll be any kind of blowback to any of these allegations or if Kuntaku will just try and continue ignoring them.

Moral of the story here is don't trust Kuntaku with sensitive issues, stupid.
How is this jizzrag still in business?

AnOminous

there ain't no turning back
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
Kotaku is going to keep quiet about this because they don't want to upset their "we believe all women!" narrative.

Unlike Brianna Wu and Zoe Quinn, Nathalie has the receipts to prove that Cecelia lied to and exploited Lawhead and the other women that Cecelia cited in her article.
Lmao trusting a journalist. Lmao trusting a "games journalist." Lmao trusting a "games journalist" from Cucktaku.

Since no one has brought it up, I assume everyone just forgot USgamer existed as I did.
I never forgot they existed but the fact this is the first time I am hearing about this shows just how much they mattered. Never saw this on any of the usual places I follow video game news. Even without covid they would have shut down eventually, they never had a very big audience to begin with.

The only reason anyone even cared to begin with is because they had some old 1up staff. But it didn't matter since I think most people realize by now that 1up was just a flash in the pan and nearly everyone that was apart of that has devolved into stereotypical SJWs who shriek on twitter all day about orange man being bad. The only enjoyment they bring anymore is watching them fail over and over again and learn nothing along the way.

After the game of the year shit that's coming next week, Ben Pack is leaving Giant Bomb.
Him and Abby are gone, wtf I love GB now.
This can go one of two ways, they either hire people that are worse and more pozzed, or they get the weirdos that like playing games on the Vectrex or the ZX Spectrum (and to further piss people off they pronounce it Zed Ex like a dickless European).

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
This can go one of two ways, they either hire people that are worse and more pozzed, or they get the weirdos that like playing games on the Vectrex or the ZX Spectrum (and to further piss people off they pronounce it Zed Ex like a dickless European).
Even then, I do wonder if it's too late to turn this around. Brad and Jeff were jaded as fuck last I checked.

albert chan

Don’t Tread On Tintin
True & Honest Fan

80609E33-1AAA-4483-BDEF-363D210D3324.png

Even then, I do wonder if it's too late to turn this around. Brad and Jeff were jaded as fuck last I checked.
That is what i was wondering about. Haven't watched their content much since they sold out to gamespot and honestly don't see what they offer that the thousands of other personalities don't.

I do wonder if they regret selling out right before the massive boom of internet media. They could have been raking in so much cash on patron/donations/sponsorships all without being tied down to legacy media and selling out later for a massive payday. Now they are just stuck doing the same shit while competing with more and more people who can do what they pioneered but doing it better.

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
I never understood the appeal of the ZX Spectrum. The graphics were 2600 quality, and the colors resemble what a colorblind person sees on acid.
It was before my time, so I never got to experience it. I think the main appeal of the Spectrum was the rise of the bedroom programmer.

While American's keep talking about the death and rebirth of gaming during the crash. In the UK it was a boom period. Teenagers becoming local celebrities and getting rich making games in their bedrooms. Developers and publishers acting like rock stars, driving around in sports cars and pushing the limited system to breaking point with clever programming. Kim Justice videos talk about it in depth.

There's also a certain charm to the games because they were so individual. There's a game where you play as Sinclair going to get knighted, and you have to sneak off for a sly pint before hand. That kind of thing wouldn't, and couldn't, come from the US and Japan, and such quirky games were sold alongside big publisher games like Robocop.

I posted this in the culture wars thread but it also applies here, stumbled upon this old Kotaku article that perfectly shows how much things have changed for the worse since 2009.

https://kotaku.com/moe-nazi-vehicle-girls-coming-to-xbox-360-5308855

It absolutely boggles the fucking mind to think how radically different things used to be, just imagine the pearl clutching and hysterics there would be an in article about that game today, but somehow there was a time in which Kotaku of all fucking things weren't offended by a game involving Nazis and anime breasts, the two things they hate the most today.

After the game of the year shit that's coming next week, Ben Pack is leaving Giant Bomb.
Him and Abby are gone, wtf I love GB now.
As much as I don't like Ben - at least he seems to be putting some "good" distance between himself and a bunch of drama.

Yes it's true - I'm leaving Giant Bomb after our GotY streams next week. I've had a great run but now it's time for a new chapter. Thanks for all the kind words I've already received, and I hope you enjoyed my bullshit much as I did.
Just to clarify something - I'm not "going" anywhere else or really announcing anything. Part of this decision is based on wanting more of a private life, so I'll probably be posting a lot less frequently on here. I'm done with having takes.
If he's trying to not get sucked into videogame drama constantly, good for him. I would imagine that GB is a pretty exhausting job if you aren't ready for it.

There's also the option of Giantbomb being gutted and boarded up - with the new company throwing out all of the "old guys" who are left and just trying to do something with the brand. Considering that Jeff and company are all still working from home and haven't produced any "studio quality" content in nearly a full year - I don't see what the appeal would be otherwise.

CNET (GB's parent company) was bought by CBS in 2013 for 1.8 billion only to be sold in 2020 for 500 million, meaning they were losing money on the venture. The new parent company (Red Ventures) isn't a major media company and they aren't aligned with gaming in any way, so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

They've got a small blog about gaming (I think)? https://www.soda.com/gaming/page/2/ but there isn't much there that would give me hope as a GB fan.

Ihavetinyweewee

But massive grotesque balls
Expect to see someone even worse than Ben/Abby replacing them.

It's gonna be some troon..

I also agree that GB should just shut down. Honestly, Jeff should probably do a solo thing...

Syaoran Li

Prime Minister of Ireland
True & Honest Fan
It's ironic because all I remember people talking about back in 2009 was recession this and recession that, but now 2009 seems like a lost paradise compared to today, we just had no idea how much worse things would get.

This.

2009 was one of the worst years of my life due to personal reasons but at this point, I'd like to have that year back minus one or two specific events.

Every year from 2008 onward has been a continual downward spiral with the possible exception of 2010, which was an unusually quiet year in America and a relatively positive year in my personal life.

Maybe the meme about "2007 was the year everything went to shit" was entirely wrong and 2007 was actually just the last good year before the the malaise of the Great Recession and the horrors of Current Year.