Games Journalism General -

Duncan Hills Coffee

Not a normal human
kiwifarms.net
I thought that game was dead like ten years ago? Did somebody make an announcement?
I looked it up and the game's been brought back from the dead. It's now being developed by Highwire Studios, which consists of former Halo and Destiny developers and is supposed to release by the end of this year.

It's so surreal, I remember when it was announced and when it was cancelled. Now it's coming back of all of a sudden.

TVStactic

kiwifarms.net
Anyone seeing ready to keep an eye out for six days in fallujah? I am predicting instead of the game getting cancelled by Fox News boomer republicans it’s now getting canceled but leftist Game journalists.

I’m indifferent on the things surrounding the game but it’s really fucking ironic to see. Loaded with the typical spec ops the line simps and schizo conspiracy theories of its gonna be used to recruit kids into the military.
SDIF is supposed to be based on the soldiah's stories about what happened in there, since i'm not in the US so far all the data i can gather is that the army or atleast some faggots that are in a way related to it (directly or indirectly) didn't like the idea of having "realistik shootahs" based on army missions, even though we got shit like Full Spectrum Warrior: Ten Hammers (cool game, give it a try) that is supposed to be based on the stories of soldiers in there too.

smells of faggotry to be honest and i think we'll need to see how the marketing team (if any) will try to sell this game, the whole "realisitc" thing is a massive turn off already that will throw it into the "dad games" category.

>hair color that does not occur in nature
>opinion disregarded in its entirety
you should regard her opinions as a example of how not to do it for people with a functioning brain edition.
"allows her personality to shine through"

well she got a standard tumblr reject personality, check the "toxic online kultur" article with the fans favorite butch dangerhair: Judy.

A_Callow_Youth

Moonposting Martyr
kiwifarms.net
I looked it up and the game's been brought back from the dead. It's now being developed by Highwire Studios, which consists of former Halo and Destiny developers and is supposed to release by the end of this year.

It's so surreal, I remember when it was announced and when it was cancelled. Now it's coming back of all of a sudden.
Ex-Bungie, huh? Probably wouldn't have been my first pick, but I can think of a lot worse. Here's hoping they stick to that original "no-frills shit that actually happened" premise, we need more of those that aren't, you know, ARMA.

Save the Loli

kiwifarms.net
I find it really hard to believe a video game will convince you to join the army maybe I’m just dumber than I realize and it has worked in the past. I just feel the free college and welfare plays a bigger role than you going on a 7 kill streak for an air strike.
The US Army thought otherwise hence why they made that game America's Army to recruit people with vidya. Apparently it was successful enough that the Army made a few sequels to the original.
SDIF is supposed to be based on the soldiah's stories about what happened in there, since i'm not in the US so far all the data i can gather is that the army or atleast some faggots that are in a way related to it (directly or indirectly) didn't like the idea of having "realistik shootahs" based on army missions, even though we got shit like Full Spectrum Warrior: Ten Hammers (cool game, give it a try) that is supposed to be based on the stories of soldiers in there too.
It wasn't the Army so much as a mix of right-wing "support our troops" types and left-wing anti-war types finding the game offensive and managing to get it literally cancelled. Basically it got accused of making serious events into a game, even though the only real soldiers portrayed were IIRC all supportative of being in the game (or they had relatives who were for the deceased). There were plenty of soldiers and their families who supported the game, and plenty of soldiers and their families who were on the side of "this game is offensive to our military".

pitawilson

Fuckin' Poison Ivy all over!
kiwifarms.net
The US Army thought otherwise hence why they made that game America's Army to recruit people with vidya. Apparently it was successful enough that the Army made a few sequels to the original.

It wasn't the Army so much as a mix of right-wing "support our troops" types and left-wing anti-war types finding the game offensive and managing to get it literally cancelled. Basically it got accused of making serious events into a game, even though the only real soldiers portrayed were IIRC all supportative of being in the game (or they had relatives who were for the deceased). There were plenty of soldiers and their families who supported the game, and plenty of soldiers and their families who were on the side of "this game is offensive to our military".
America's Army also happened to be NSA spyware, but then again what isn't nowadays. It's all just political bullshit, typical old rush to be offended stuff. Arma and Operation Flashpoint did the same old shit but with (soon not to be) fictional pretexts.

TVStactic

kiwifarms.net

amurica's army is on the 4th installation at the moment on steam, it's a okay vydia, pratically a gae ass cod with amurican soldiers instead of your standard grumpy army dude with the difference being they don't roll up their sleeves and shave their beards. still it being NSA crap matters so little, the game is not that good for a UE3 jank with hackers pratically having godmode level access, be tactical all you want, if a tryhard is in the room then they'll use the slow pacing new people are used to for their own advantage and the low end graphics are a fucking mess with that 2m fog obscuring everything (including enemies), since the game still gives you levelupexp for pratically living in the game you can expect people to not enjoy

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
This just in, nasty little shit Joshua Dale continues to fail upward, gets hired by Bioware.

Is it failing upward to get hired to by a studio that died ~8 years ago and is on conditional life support from.

Is anyone excited for a game from the studio that released smash hits such as Anthem and Mass Effect: Andromeda. All this sounds like is a death knell for Dragon Age 4 / Mass Effect 4, not that they had any hype considering the state of the studio. The last decently written game Bioware put out was in 2010 (ME2) and some people might even consider that generous.

Alter Ego

kiwifarms.net
Polygon's Ben Kuchera had a mental breakdown while flinging vague accusations of wrongdoing at his former employer Penny Arcade.

https://archive.md/GPWUV
Tweets in the link above must be read bottom-to-top since he doesn't group them in a thread, but I flipped them to read top-to-bottom in the box below:
Ted Cruz is an openly evil human being and he's also politically indestructible and those facts together are so depressing.

I also don't know why we need to be polite about Rush Limbaugh. Why is it not OK to call people who dedicated their lives to increasing the suffering of others bad, just because they died? We all die, it's one of the few universal experiences. The damage you do remains.

Remember when Trump told people to overthrow the government and the mob killed a police officer? Remember how many of the attackers were police or armed forces? Remember how Republican politicians helped the riot and told them where to go? I dunno about being polite these days.

Anyway, remember when Trump lied about Covid after admitting he knew it was serious? And then told his followers to kill people, and they did? Remember he went on TV and asked Russia for help and the Russians helped him? They just do this stuff and admit it and get away with it.

Trump finally did the thing he fantasized about: He caused the death of someone in the streets for no reason and got away with it. He said he could do it, and he did it. And we're asked to be respectful. Why?

I'm just tired of being told not to say the simple things about the very basic evil people are doing daily. I'm so sick of pretending there are two sides to every issue, when there just isn't. Sometimes it really is simple. Sometimes people who act evil are just evil.

I'm so scared to say it, but I feel like I have to be honest. Penny Arcade was the only company I've ever worked for that killed stories to protect their business. Seeing folks working for them question the integrity of the gaming press in public makes me literally ill.

I am ashamed I allowed myself to be bullied like that instead of resigning, but when it all ended my now ex-wife was pregnant and I was left hanging. They like to take cheap shots at people who actually do the hard work of telling the truth, and I can't tolerate it anymore.

I don't know what's going to happen after saying that, but I feel a lot better having made it public. The Penny Arcade Report was the only outlet where my bosses told me I couldn't report on certain things because it would hurt their ability to make money.

I'm shaking and freaked out having tweeted this, I'm still scared of the power of those folks, but just remember they spent years putting profit over reporting and the truth, and it cost me my job. I am deeply, deeply ashamed that I've been quiet for this long. I'm so sorry.

If saying these things costs me my career, then my career wasn't worth having. I've tried really hard for a long time to be honest with y'all, and I've failed in this way spectacularly. But I needed to say this. Whatever happens next is out of my control, but you needed to know.

It bothers me that people will support the suppression of reporting in the interest of profits, while PA claims they are the source of truth because they don't care about profits. I was told flat out that some topics I had to stay away from, because that's where they made money.

This has been a weight on my soul for so long, you have no idea. I'm crying right now tweeting these things, but it feels good to put the weight down. Whatever happens next is out of my hands, but I needed to say this. If you feel betrayed by me right now, I understand completely

The past two years or so have taken away a lot of my self-confidence, to the point where it's harder and harder to write the things I know I need to write. And I'm trying to get back to the place where I speak truth to power. I can't get there without coming clean.

Watching the principle voices of Penny Arcade say during panels they didn't care about profits after having been told I had to protect their business over writing what I knew was right was horrific. I can't describe it. And I went along! I betrayed your trust and I'm sorry.

It has been so hard in the years since the Penny Arcade Report to see Penny Arcade make money from making fun of people who aren't for sale, especially since they told me explicitly not to say certain things so they could get paid. You deserve to know.

Penny Arcade was the first company to shame me for spending time with my family instead of writing more, and it's the only company I've written for who censored stories for profit. They did this while using me for PR about why they were different. They are not the good guys.

But, again, neither was I. I should have quit. I was tempted to. I almost did. But I didn't. And that's 100 percent on me. After Ars Technica had a spine of steel when it came to factual stories I wrote, watching Penny Arcade fold under PR pressure was shocking.

Penny Arcade wishes it had the integrity of the outlets they talk shit about. I'm tired of hearing it and being silent. When I was there, they were for sale, and I was told this directly, and directed to avoid certain stories.

I've been through ... a lot in the past few years. But what I've learned is you can lose your life and build a new one. I don't care what this costs me, I need a new slate, and your trust. If I'm ever, EVER told to act that way again, I'm resigning. If you don't believe me?

Well then I understand completely. I really do. Stop reading me. Read folks you trust and love. Support the good stuff. But I swear to you this has been eating away at me every day since it happened. I'm fine doing something else if this puts me right and honest in your eyes.

If this hurts my ability to find writing work later because companies are scared I'll repeat their bullshit years after I was fired, I can always try to find a welding apprenticeship or something. I just want to do honest work, and now it's going to be easier to do so.

And I don't want to hear how this was one person, or someone didn't know. During one company vacation I was berated in public for not being more supportive during Dickwolves. I was asked directly by a founder to keep certain things quiet. None of this is a secret.

There was one E3 where I was cornered by the person selling ads and there was a "joke" about how I had to get the numbers up to support the buys. Yeah, it felt really funny. I "laughed." I've never been through anything like that anywhere else. I was honestly scared.

I've seen so many gaming outlets stand up for their writers and editors and fight back against publisher pressure, it's inspiring. So when Penny Arcade makes fun of those same outlets while refusing to stand up for their own people in private? I've been so angry for so long.

I honestly don't know what happens next, but I know tonight I'll sleep better, and tomorrow I'm ready.

Anyway, the severance pay was six months, there was no NDA, the decision to stay silent until now is my own cowardice. But I just couldn't anymore. I'm truly sorry.

Water-T

STARVING TO DEATH...FOR ATTENTION (AND CAKE)
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Polygon's Ben Kuchera had a mental breakdown while flinging vague accusations of wrongdoing at his former employer Penny Arcade.

https://archive.md/GPWUV
Tweets in the link above must be read bottom-to-top since he doesn't group them in a thread, but I flipped them to read top-to-bottom in the box below:
LOL.

I'm sure what Ben Kootchie calls "being silenced by PA from telling the truth" really means, "I was advised to not fling my verbal diarrhea lest it result in a libel suit"

Absolutego

Middleman who didn't do diddly
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
During the Doom Eternal premier. When he wrote for her that the violence was 'disgusting', her defense that she wasn't Jack Thompson disappeared and he got shitcanned for it. This was basically the start of her decline.
It'll never stop being funny to me that literally the first thing she did, once McIntosh was no longer writing scripts for her, was start up a Buffy retrospective. Couldn't be more fitting, given the subject matter of her thesis. There isn't a bigger tell for who now held the reigns for the channel.

Keystone

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Ben Kuchera said:
If saying these things costs me my career, then my career wasn't worth having.
Never was, faggot.

Also never forget he's another one of those tards who hates anime/video game titty then goes and says shit like this:
pedo kuchera.jpg

LegoTugboat

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So, PCGamer's lost their fucking minds, and in the span of a few hours posted...

Leading Black voices of Intel offer advice for future technologists​

Has the games industry lived up to its Black Lives Matter promises?​

Games need more roles for players with disabilities​

Toolbox

Buy dat hell
kiwifarms.net
So, PCGamer's lost their fucking minds, and in the span of a few hours posted...

These are all articles from different authors, too, who seemingly mostly just posted generic info about specs of computer parts and general technical info. What the hell happened?

albert chan

Spanish women are the best.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

C4BDADF1-7BF5-4054-B6FC-70E841AD516F.jpeg

:story: Not sure why he’s getting downvoted.

These are all articles from different authors, too, who seemingly mostly just posted generic info about specs of computer parts and general technical info. What the hell happened?
I’m not so sure, but it seems most people in the comments section are getting aware of it as well:

AD19EE42-2C3C-47BF-AAD2-177A69791F3A.jpeg02B98634-EB30-4BE1-9380-14CF9F4ECA5E.jpeg75BC0018-0DFB-4C57-8B49-49B2FDB1D2CA.jpeg6587F2ED-139A-479B-AD26-9352E8CE126F.jpeg

Last edited: