Games Journalism General -

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I get the sentiment as obviously SJWs/woke people are insanely annoying but they haven't really accomplished a whole lot that matters, I don't even consider it a win. Japan gives absolutely 0 fucks and is still putting out plenty of "problematic" games. These people are essentially reeeeing into a void. Even in this specific case, Dragon's Crown got a PS4 release in 2018 and had no censorship whatsoever and 13 Sentinels came out last year and still has plenty of big anime tiddies and high school girls barely wearing pants if that's your thing. We're nearly a decade from when all the Dragon's Crown yelling happened and Vanillaware is still just doing their thing.

All they've really effected is western game development which is currently shit right now. But considering how many games keep losing money that won't last forever. It's already been discussed in this thread multiple times but even the big western companies are starting to realize listening to these people is just costing them money.
They won in that they succeeded in gaining control of western gaming journalism and gaining control of mainstream western gaming culture and ghettoizing anyone that doesn't think like they do as "Gamergate"

The impact they've had on video games themselves has been varied, Japan gives no fucks as you pointed out, but the vast majority of mainstream western developers and publishers absolutely do care what a Schreier type thinks and want to make them happy first and foremost.

I did say "for now" and times can certainly change, but assholes like Schreier did score some major victories for years when they should have been told by everyone to fuck off when they started their shit in 2012/2013 and they should have fucked off.

Basically they really did win the battle of the 2010s, but will they win the battle again in the 2020s? That remains to be seen, but I'm just lamenting the fact that they won anything at all.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
They won in that they succeeded in gaining control of western gaming journalism and gaining control of mainstream western gaming culture and ghettoizing anyone that doesn't think like they do as "Gamergate"
They didn't take over western gaming culture. These people stay in their shit filled hovels and don't venture outside their safe zone. They're not even in the majority when it comes to sheer numbers.

Journalism, well that ship was already on fire and sinking, there's no point or reason to rescue gaming journalism when someone with a youtube channel can do far more actual games journalism than a games journalist.

Journalism doesn't exist for truth, it exists for clicks. Do we really want clicks to dictate our actions? Like what is this Africa?

AnOminous

とても可愛い
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Jason "Dragon Crown's Sorceress is for lolicons" Schreier
View attachment 2093719
I love how these worthless fuckers, where each one has the most blatant Backpfeifengesicht it is possible to have, scream in agony like they're being murdered the instant you ask that they apply the same standards to themselves that they demand the rest of the world adopt. Oh, you want us all to do this thing you say? Well how about you first?
The problem with what Schrier did is that it could effect Square-Enix's stock price. He's lucky he didn't get sued for that. Investors don't really know the difference and Square-Enix has to counter otherwise it might cost them money.
It could affect the stock price of Bloomberg if Squeenix sues the fuck out of them for the dumb shit he just did. They don't play pattycake in the world Schreier somehow Peter Principled his way up to.

Actually, I'm not even sure this is a Peter Principle thing, where you do well in each level of your promotions until you are promoted to something you are not competent to do, since this fucking spastic has fucked up at every level of his pathetic career, somehow stumbling upstairs at every step.

Who the fuck decided this absolute clown is worth paying? There are shitposters here who are more accurate than he is. Including me, and that's not even a boast, because that's a low bar to clear.

SiccDicc

The Defenestrator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I love how these worthless fuckers, where each one has the most blatant Backpfeifengesicht it is possible to have, scream in agony like they're being murdered the instant you ask that they apply the same standards to themselves that they demand the rest of the world adopt. Oh, you want us all to do this thing you say? Well how about you first?

It could affect the stock price of Bloomberg if Squeenix sues the fuck out of them for the dumb shit he just did. They don't play pattycake in the world Schreier somehow Peter Principled his way up to.

Actually, I'm not even sure this is a Peter Principle thing, where you do well in each level of your promotions until you are promoted to something you are not competent to do, since this fucking spastic has fucked up at every level of his pathetic career, somehow stumbling upstairs at every step.

Who the fuck decided this absolute clown is worth paying? There are shitposters here who are more accurate than he is. Including me, and that's not even a boast, because that's a low bar to clear.
Journalism is a career of failing upwards.

There's a reason Hunter S. Thompson quit that racket.

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The problem with what Schrier did is that it could effect Square-Enix's stock price. He's lucky he didn't get sued for that. Investors don't really know the difference and Square-Enix has to counter otherwise it might cost them money.
He probably did it on purpose, people like Schrier have a real bone to pick with Japan, he's probably been seething over the fact that Square-Enix released a AAA caliber game with a large breasted female character in it.

Or it was purely wishful thinking on his part of what he wishes would happen, they'd love for western companies just to buy up all the Japanese game companies and then Wokify them all (ie ugg up all the female characters)

You've got to remember, people like Schrier aren't gamers, they don't actually give a single fuck about video games, what they care about is spiting people they don't like, ie the "Gamergaters"

Every hobby SJWs infiltrate they don't actually give a single fuck about the hobby itself, it's just a means to an end to give them what they really want and that's spiting people they don't like, everything else is a distant second to the joy they feel when they spite their enemies by taking away something they like.

They didn't take over western gaming culture. These people stay in their shit filled hovels and don't venture outside their safe zone. They're not even in the majority when it comes to sheer numbers.
I said mainstream gaming culture, the culture of something like the VGAs which gave The Last of Us 2 over 9000 awards while everyone else was shitting on it.

The funny thing in today's climate is "mainstream" no longer means a large group of people, it just means a certain type of spotlight, the "mainstream" is getting less and less popular by the day with people, ironically enough.

Journalism, well that ship was already on fire and sinking, there's no point or reason to rescue gaming journalism when someone with a youtube channel can do far more actual games journalism than a games journalist.
Not really, gaming journalism was in an interesting place in the early 2010s, there's no reason it had to be as bad as it turned into by going Woke.

But they absolutely fucked it in the ass, forcing people non-professionals to pick up the slack, however like I said in theory it didn't have to be that way were it not for Woke.

Journalism doesn't exist for truth, it exists for clicks. Do we really want clicks to dictate our actions? Like what is this Africa?
This is true, journalism doesn't exist for truth and never has, but it was still better before it went Woke.

Even at the peak of my days reading and enjoying gaming magazines did I not still take things with a grain of salt, I would play games even if they got meh reviews if I thought they were interesting enough, one of my all time favorite games, Haunting Ground, got mediocre reviews from critics.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Sweeney did nothing wrong.
kiwifarms.net
I think it was the Final Fantasy 13 games so it's not even the recent ones.
Final Fantasy 15 showed up on Gamepass many months ago, along with the recent 7, 8 and 9 "remasters". There's also FF12 Zodiac Age, the new Dragon's Quest, Octopath Traveler and Nier Automata. There's no Deus Ex, Tomb Raider or other Eidos properties from what I can tell.

Alter Ego

kiwifarms.net
I get the sentiment as obviously SJWs/woke people are insanely annoying but they haven't really accomplished a whole lot that matters, I don't even consider it a win. Japan gives absolutely 0 fucks and is still putting out plenty of "problematic" games. These people are essentially reeeeing into a void. Even in this specific case, Dragon's Crown got a PS4 release in 2018 and had no censorship whatsoever and 13 Sentinels came out last year and still has plenty of big anime tiddies and high school girls barely wearing pants if that's your thing. We're nearly a decade from when all the Dragon's Crown yelling happened and Vanillaware is still just doing their thing.

All they've really effected is western game development which is currently shit right now. But considering how many games keep losing money that won't last forever. It's already been discussed in this thread multiple times but even the big western companies are starting to realize listening to these people is just costing them money.

I think you're forgetting about Sony's latest censorship policies that have even been effecting Japanese-only games.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
I think you're forgetting about Sony's latest censorship policies that have even been effecting Japanese-only games.
>Senran Kagura
>Japanese game

I think you need to check who really owns Marvelous. Because Sony has multiple exclusivity deals for Senran kagura now. They're still getting 7 as a playstation exclusive and now they have the NeptuniaXSenran crossover game as an exclusive with a third un named game in the works as well. Your precious trashfire game series remains uninhibited and still plague the mortal realm.

Their censorship policies were a front that only effected games that even did poorly in japan. They didn't do shit in the end.

albert chan

Spanish women are the best.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Journalism is a career of failing upwards.

There's a reason Hunter S. Thompson quit that racket.
And in the case of gaming journalism, it’s one of the reasons why Kotaku and Game Informer have become shells of themselves while actively getting paid more than your average worker in the Human Resources department.

whatever I feel like

Disney Diaper Size Fetish Enthusiast
kiwifarms.net
>Senran Kagura
>Japanese game

I think you need to check who really owns Marvelous. Because Sony has multiple exclusivity deals for Senran kagura now. They're still getting 7 as a playstation exclusive and now they have the NeptuniaXSenran crossover game as an exclusive with a third un named game in the works as well. Your precious trashfire game series remains uninhibited and still plague the mortal realm.

Their censorship policies were a front that only effected games that even did poorly in japan. They didn't do shit in the end.
Didn't those policies nearly kill Senran Kagura?

Borax Bozo

Here until I can finally rest.
kiwifarms.net
Jason "Dragon Crown's Sorceress is for lolicons" Schreier
View attachment 2093719
Jason's post about the sorceress being for paedophiles is one of those times that I've felt I'm dealing with an alien mind. Usually I can follow people's thought processes, but I genuinely do not understand how he got from "large breasted adult woman" to "aimed for child-lovers".
It certainly caused the main creator to leave since he couldn't really do lewd stuff anymore there.

BananaSplit

kiwifarms.net
It also affected plenty of japanese third-parties (Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 Scarlet, Omega Labyrinth life, LoveR Kiss, Yuuna-san, etc), especially the niche ones meant to be sold for the japanese audience. It's harder to keep track lately compared to years ago since new games are now developed with those unwritten policies in mind when they come on PS.

But you're trying to talk reason to a Sony fanboy who has tried to fervently damage-control on the death of Japan Studio and the shutdowns of the stores for the legacy systems as nothing more than fake news. Same guy who also regularly posts that any game that isn't tailored for his tastes or isn't worldwide popular deserves to be censored and die

Last edited:

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net
Pretty much. Kandagawa Jet Girls got absolutely gutted due to those policies.

13 Sentinels came out last year and still has plenty of big anime tiddies and high school girls barely wearing pants if that's your thing.
Sadly, it got "localised". ie. the translators added a bunch of woke shit that wasn't in the original script.

ghettoizing anyone that doesn't think like they do as "Gamergate"
That's a good thing, because ultimately, they're ghettoizing themselves. There was a video Upper Echelon Gamers put out a video recently making fun of a journalist complaining that professional outlets suck now because they have to disclose conflicts of interests.

ZMOT

wat
kiwifarms.net
Jason's post about the sorceress being for paedophiles is one of those times that I've felt I'm dealing with an alien mind. Usually I can follow people's thought processes, but I genuinely do not understand how he got from "large breasted adult woman" to "aimed for child-lovers".

It certainly caused the main creator to leave since he couldn't really do lewd stuff anymore there.

one possible theory was that since you can't see "age" on your typical highly stylized anime character (unless done on purpose) this automatically means child (as in the sorcerers case, oppai loli). which to me says more about guys like that than the material itself. next step is usually railing against anime on twitter before getting busted for cp.

there's probably also another "I just call everyone who disagrees a lolicon, means I win the argument" stunt involved, but that only works on people who give a shit about that in the first place.

And man, even 2013 was so much better than today, because back then you had more pushback from people like that, before SJWs learned they can just label it all "Gamergate" and win the argument by default.

the problem is labeling everyone a gamer nazi only works for a certain about of time before people stop giving a shit, to the point they will become "the gamergate" they were labeled as. if you already got the fame might as well act on it.

I've said it before but it's only a matter of time till someone big enough tells them to fuck off, and if at the same time the same company makes a lot of dosh this way is when that whole thing dies for good. money talks, and if western videogame publishers can do one thing best it's following the new FOTM for shekels. western AAA is already a shitshow for the most part with people going back to older stuff or looking elsewhere, and you can only shit out so many bombs before you have to adapt or go under. people want to be entertained, one way or or another.

Water-T

STARVING TO DEATH...FOR ATTENTION (AND CAKE)
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What a hack. When a fucking Japanese company is forced to release a statement calling a western journalist out.....

You know that western journalist fucked up. What the fuck was he even thinking bullshitting/lying about this shit?

Absolute idiot.
Schriller has been so used to spewing shit uncontested over the past decade that it's become an uncontrollable habit. Kind of like those people who lie so much that it's just their default now.

Jason forgot about that little thing "journalistic ethics" that he used to shrug off during his gaymergayte glory days. He doesn't have Nick Denton and his cabal of fuckheads enabling his shit "reporting" anymore.

Learn to journalism gud, you McLovin-looking motherfucker.