Games that pulled off the "*punk" aesthetic well. - inb4 "none of them"

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon. I REALLY WISH THEY'D HOTFIX THIS SO I CAN REMOVE THIS NOTICE.

Aquinas

Local Forum Celebrity
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My friend, @Odie Esty has been playing Jurassic World, and from what he's been saying about it, it sounds like a pretty good Biopunk park game

Gamepad

kiwifarms.net
I do dig Observer, then again, it doesn't fall victim to the typical cyberpunk case.

0e79qtzua0d11.jpg

TFT-A9

I identify as a 55-ton quadmech, shitlord
kiwifarms.net
From my understanding the whole point of *punk is to show a dystopia of some sort, a kind of commentary on the fantastic. The idea that it's a "cool" thing is very beside the point and likely contrary to the authors' intent, and yet people do this "wow this is so cool I'm a nano-enhanced superhuman" and it stops there.

Dom Cruise

Spooky!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The best take on Steampunk is The Order: 1886.

Because it wasn't really Steampunk at all, it was simply the Victorian era with electricity, basically it was the same basic idea of a more technologically advanced 1800s but whereas actual steam based technology is often in the realm of total fantasy, in The Order it was all designed to be a lot more plausible.

Fuck, was that such an underrated game, it breaks my heart that everyone decided to shit on it for no real reason.

TFT-A9

I identify as a 55-ton quadmech, shitlord
kiwifarms.net
The best take on Steampunk is The Order: 1886.

Because it wasn't really Steampunk at all, it was simply the Victorian era with electricity, basically it was the same basic idea of a more technologically advanced 1800s but whereas actual steam based technology is often in the realm of total fantasy, in The Order it was all designed to be a lot more plausible.

Fuck, was that such an underrated game, it breaks my heart that everyone decided to shit on it for no real reason.
I thought most of the shit it caught was because it was so much cinematics and so little gameplay though? Or was that just hyperbole?

Dom Cruise

Spooky!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I thought most of the shit it caught was because it was so much cinematics and so little gameplay though? Or was that just hyperbole?

It was hyperbole.

Now there are stretches of the game where you're not shooting anything but simply traversing through the environment, but you're still playing, it's not a cutscene.

Yes, I wish the game had more action in it, as the shooting that there's there is actually great, the guns have a good weight and the crazy alternate history weaponry is fun to use, but while there's arguably not enough, there's still a decent amount of combat.

And the length of the game is absolute hyperbole, it took me 4 nights to finish, that's one night longer than the original Uncharted took me, I walked away from the game fully satisfied both with gameplay and length.

The game was just absolutely not treated fairly and I really have no idea why, it's one of the coolest worlds ever conceived for a game and I really hope we see more of it.

Harvey Danger

getting tired of this whole internet thing
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've played way worse. I don't think I've ever seen anyone else even really try to tie all that together in that fashion. It's not an instant classic or anything like that but it was a ride.

If you want the comprehensive journey through the bad parts of Omikron, the Super Best Friends did a playthrough. Although there's a lot of in-jokes, it's an entertaining bumblefuck with actual constructive criticism.

There are reasons the clip compilations are called Super Best Friends Suffer Through Omikron.

Back on topic, System Shock 1 & 2 is great cyberpunk, though with dated graphics. Grab the Enhanced Edition to make it playable.

Captain Manning

Spooky October Avatar
kiwifarms.net
The Genesis Phantasy Star games are kinda cyberpunk-ish. Some of them had a neat dystopian angle. 1 and 4 were good. 2 was alright, but had issues. We don't talk about 3. Never played the PSO games.

SNES Shadowrun was really janky. The combat system wasn't very good. It had a nice atmosphere, and was one of only 2-3 halfway decent games Beam Software developed.

Genesis Shadowrun, OTOH, was actually REALLY good for what it was. My only gripes with it is the music is ear grating, and the game really wanted you to play as a decker. I did a complete playthrough for about the second or third time earlier this year.

Anonymus Fluhre

No man fears what he has seen grow
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Syndicate Wars, Tex Murphy and Snatcher. Syndicate Wars reminded me of Shadowrun when how dangerous the corporations were. I found it to be better though since it had no magic, so it was more like Cyberpunk 2020.

I Love Beef

OH YEAHHUH, SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM
kiwifarms.net
In before @Maskull calls me a faggot and with major kudos for @Gamepad , I would recommend Galerians for the Playstation.

What's Galerians, you ask? Well, it's also a "cyber/industrial punk" themed game that's survival horror.... in gameplay.

So the story of the game is that you're an amnesiac teen (courtesy of JRPGs) in a hospital.... In the far flung future of 2656 (i think). You wake up on an operation bed, and it turns out you're a junkie who is addicted to drugs that allow one to have psychic powers. Naturally, you need to get the fuck out of there because they're experimenting on you. I am not giving out any details because that shit's major spoiler stuff, and if you want to know, go use google or play the game.

The game uses survival horror tank controls, but it works for the fact that you're a scrawny teenager who needs drugs to essentially survive, and I mean that by fight or flight sense. A lot of reviewers said that this game rips off Resident Evil and other games, but as time has shown, this game is pretty good. Combat works by you holding down the R1 button, and depending on what powers and associated drug you use, you press the action button to unleash them. This works as a "charge" and focus feature, because depending on where you're pitted, you will unleash some fair attacks or an attack that will help you get by. Combat in this game is all about timing and placement of the player character; always be prepared, and don't act stupid.

In terms of maneuvering and getting to places, and as well as exploring, the game is fairly simple.... Unless it's about the item layabout and the Short feature. For the item layabout, unlike later installments of Resident Evil 1, items are not fairly noticeable in this game unless your camera angle is up close. In turn, you are encouraged to search around and patiently explore your surroundings. You also get to have a special "scan" power, where you are encouraged to psychically scan objects and places to gain knowledge of the story and access unique CGI cutscenes. On the other hand, we get to the Short feature. Short or Aggression/Absorption Points is a combined inebriation/hangover/OD, limit break, and main survival feature of Galerians. So in turn, the drugs that you use can't essentially be broken down by your body, and they will accumulate in your brain and bloodstream to where their byproducts will gather to the point where they will cause your psychic power catalysts to seize up and overload, and this is measured by AP. AP gathers both over time, getting attacked and hit, and through wastefully using your scan feature on everything. When your AP is at full and you try to use your powers, this is when you "Short" out, in where your character will have unprecedented unrestrained psychic powers allowing enemies to have their brains explode into a pulp if they so much as are near you and be scared fucking shitless when you do, but where you also rapidly lose life. Outside of ending a chapter and using a very specific item to help drain out your AP and not die, this adds a bit of pressure to your play time, demanding that you have a sensible lot of this item on hand with limited storage space, manage your time and plan out your excursions, and not needlessly scan everything.

As for the atmosphere... I fucking love it. It's everything bleak and dark I want out of a true oppressive cyber/industrial/futurepunk series. The entire city you play in is just a fake shell of modern civil progress with apparent urban decay rather than the overt apparent oppression or technological wonderland illusion other cyberpunk settings present. There is no internet VR wonderland, there is no hangout where hackers and shit come to gather and play, no corporatization of society to where you are encouraged to buy buy buy with sacchrine sterilized shit and gives said hackers/rebels a target to express their frustrations on, no political enthusiasm for anything, even Nazi styled this or that, everything in this game is bleak and miserable and fucking sucks... And I love it. Hell, you want a taste of people in this city? Try the third chapter of the game, where you get to visit a slummy as fuck hotel and visit everyone on the fringe of this shithole. You get to meet a legit hood styled drug dealer whom you score big time hospital smuggled drugs off of, a struggling actress/costume designer resorting to prostitution before if she ever gets her big break, a Militia Movement styled megalomaniac building a fucking NUCLEAR WARHEAD in his fucking room, and even a pedophile wackjob religious fundamentalist who straight up tries to steal money/feel you up the first fucking time you visit him. It's great.

And even then, something about this game just tells you to pull through. I will admit, it's a melodrama, but it does that right. Going through all of the shit that the world presents you, trying to figure out what the fuck is going on, and having nothing else left in the world, let alone life, in this shithole, hey, when you have nothing left for you to worry about, just pull on ahead. I like that.

In terms of story, a lot of the game centers around scrounging and scouring for notes and materials. I've heard from a lot of people that the story has plotholes, but my playthroughs have had me come across notes that I think no one has come across in its history. Hell, some shit the antagonists will say, I will assure you, don't trust their word on them. I would say it's a good story the game has overall. You will have to string together things, but mystery is also what drives this game, and it would be a shame if it were anything else.

Fun fact: Did you know that Shou Taijima, the artist for this game, is a big fan of Resident Evil 2? I'd go and help make a survival horror styled game too if I love Resident Evil 2, which I do.

So I've sperged on and on about this game, but this game is like aged hard whiskey or bourbon with nothing but smooth bitterness. You want straight up dark industrial cyber futurepunk with no frills or shit attached? This game is for you. As for its sequel, I haven't played it, and I heard it was okay; there's even an OVA on it that aired on MTV that I watched; it's abridged, but it won't do you harm.

Last edited:

Captain Manning

Spooky October Avatar
kiwifarms.net
Syndicate Wars, Tex Murphy and Snatcher. Syndicate Wars reminded me of Shadowrun when how dangerous the corporations were. I found it to be better though since it had no magic, so it was more like Cyberpunk 2020.

Oh yeah! Snatcher was phenomenal. Only issue is the replay value was a bit on the low side. You play it once every year, or couple of years. Sorta like a movie. It's like a mix of Blade Runner, Terminator, and Bubble Gum Crisis/AD Police. Fun day or two. It's expensive AF, so just get a Sega CD emulator and the iso.

Syndicate was fun. I think that was a Peter Molyneux game (before he want full on autistic and crazy).

The Blade Runner PC game was kinda neat too, if you like point and click adventures.