Games You Both Love and Hate - When you just aren't sure how you feel

• Registration is closed without referral. This is a website about Internet drama.

We need a 3PL

ColorfulCassowary

Tickadeedee
kiwifarms.net
The GBC Shantae game.

The graphics are amazing and the dungeons are fun, but it takes way too long to get from point a to point b, combat is unbearable without the dive kick, exploring is irritating until you're almost done with the game, and it just feels padded out (like the one section in the zombie swamp where you just jump from platform to platform for what feels like 7 hours.). When I was playing, my mind kept going back and forth between "this feels like a chore" and "maybe this isn't so bad". The two shantae games after it (I haven't played the fourth yet) however, I definitely fall on the love side of the spectrum.

chadmuska

Going to the store to get some cigars
kiwifarms.net
Fallout 4 can become digital crack whether you're exploring or crafting and it has the best combat of any bethesda game, but its still deeply flawed by technical shortcomings that have been present in Bethesdas games for nearly two decades now alongside its shallow story and characters (I have a soft-spot for Nick though, if only because Stephen Russel is still a mighty fine voice actor who can make any shit line seem like gold).

Will they ever license an Elvis song instead of recycling half the music from fallout 3?

hambeerlyingnreed

Ordering pizza at the Weight Loss Clinic
kiwifarms.net
I don't think I've ever finished a game of Monopoly without someone ragequitting.

That reminds me of the time I was like 6 and played Monopoly with my family. My dad kept on telling me to buy this or that property, but I was like nah. Saved my money, waited till I landed on Boardwalk and bought it. Then my dad landed on it and had to hand over a bunch of money. I ended up winning, and we never played Monopoly again.

hambeerlyingnreed

Ordering pizza at the Weight Loss Clinic
kiwifarms.net
Most people hated it, but I always liked the lowgrav knife matches in Counterstrike. It got kinda boring after an hour though, even on drugs.

Zaragoza

Love Saw It
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's aged better than III that's for sure.
Wasn't that very long ago that I did a recent playthrough of the 3D GTA games, yeah III did not age well at all, and the radio music is absolutely terrible.

Zaryiu

kiwifarms.net
Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

On its own it's really a great game. Terrible sequel though. Dumps most of the plot threads from the books and previous games, fucks up some characters, and abandons some interesting mechanical concepts from previous games instead of just fixing what was broken. Objectively it's great and I enjoy it but I can't play it without thinking about what could have been.
Wait what plot threads did it drop?

Your Weird Fetish

Intersectional fetishist
kiwifarms.net
Wait what plot threads did it drop?
It's been awhile but within the game itself, a ton of stuff about Radovid vs. the Empire is just swept under the rug. The Wild Hunt barely features in the Wild Hunt at all leaving Ciri with bizarre characterization. Almost all the stuff with Philippa and the Lodge is as if it never happened. No Iorveth, no Saskia. There's also stuff from the books (Falka) that never amounted to anything that continued to not amount to anything but no one that only played the game would know anything about that anyway.

Also what exactly Tedd Deireadh is and why it's a problem changed like three times throughout the series but at least one of those was the original book series' fault so not much you can do about that.

Anima

twink ex machina
kiwifarms.net
1.) I'll have to go with The Evil Within since the stealth parts are pretty frustrating and copy-pasting the boss fights didn't help with my frustration (You're supposed to be dead, dammit!). The gameplay improved a little with the second game, even though there was one Dishonored-esque First Person stealth part that I thought was really redundant.
On the other hand, I like the enemy/level design so much that I bought the art book of the first game. It certainly has its perks. Looking forward to the second art book already.

2.) Cry Of Fear is just really unpleasant to play in my honest opinion. People who played the game might know why. I still love it to death, though.

Medicated

Pedophile
kiwifarms.net
Heroes of the Storm

I love the fact the team originally wanted to just create a fun game. And didn't give a shit about political correctness.
Alexstrasza_skin_2.png

Then later on the beancounters and the executives just wanted something they could use to squeeze as much money out of the playerbase as possible. Most money that goes to the game goes to esports and new skins/mounts for lootboxes. Virtually nothing has been done at the base level to improve the experience, information or backend for players. The only new major feature is lootboxes. So it feels like the game is just slowly bleeding out. But you don't notice because they just keep throwing money at esports and twitch partnerships.

1_-TsMDgVTm9DDtFYOYdOktw.png

3J0B7EHCOEG11500936622726.jpg

Replicant Sasquatch

Do Lolcows Dream of Electric Hedgehog Pokemon?
kiwifarms.net
Assassin's Creed.

I love the look of the games and as a history buff the premise is great. I just hate all the trailing missions and the dumb simulation framing device. Black Flag really pissed me off with this. Cause you get into what's happening and then the game rips you out of it so you can go through a fucking company orientation at work.

Lucky Wildcard

Hollow shell
kiwifarms.net
Splatoon 2. I like how accessible it is, I like turf war, salmon run, and rainmaker and splat zones.

I hate tower control and clam blitz. Also flyfish in salmon run can fuck right off. All of them.

vertexwindi

That's for employing me for eight years!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Splatoon 2. I like how accessible it is, I like turf war, salmon run, and rainmaker and splat zones.

I hate tower control and clam blitz. Also flyfish in salmon run can fuck right off. All of them.
I like Splatoon 2 for its better balance than the first game, its diverse modes, its fun mechanics, the surprisingly good single-player campaigns, the fantastic OST and getting to dress up kids in adorable dresses (no paedo). But it's the most frustrating fucking game when you're playing with a team of incompetents and/or children. You can't even yell at them over mic to stop sucking dick. And flyfish can go fuck a cock too.

Red Hood

Vote for me
kiwifarms.net
Since Dishonored got canceled I decided to go back and play the first game. I definitely feel that it's more fun once you have a hang of the controls and devices at your disposal, but still feel it dropped the ball in a lot of areas.

Sneaking around, popping up behind someone with blink, and planting a springrazor on them after the KO is fun and feels like a lot less work than doing the same with C4 in a Metal Gear game.

But...the story is dull as dishwater despite some good worldbuilding, and too many conversations are unskippable. The fact that the morality system judges you for using the powera and tools you have available (gee, if I want the good ending I can only use choke holds and sleep darts, and I can't upgrade the dart capacity) is asinine. Somehow the game feels like less than the sum of its parts. What's there is good but it never gets great.
Assassin's Creed.

I love the look of the games and as a history buff the premise is great. I just hate all the trailing missions and the dumb simulation framing device. Black Flag really pissed me off with this. Cause you get into what's happening and then the game rips you out of it so you can go through a fucking company orientation at work.
If they have to include the framing device at all (and I don't see why they ever felt the need to), why isn't it just at the very beginning and very end of the game? Those parts are only memorable because they're boring and take you away from the fun stuff so you can make toast or some shit.

Edgeworth

That was... Objectionable
kiwifarms.net
Already mentioned from my list: Silent Hill 4(thanks for the unkillable ghosts, guys), Dragon Age Inquisition(so I guess the Qunari are progressive, now?), Black Flag (oh my god Black Flag could've been perfect if they just didn't with that framing device and the stupid "every mission is a tailing mission even in your giant-ass ship" concept) and Evil Within(loved the designs, hated the deceptive gameplay).

Not mentioned: Bear with me but I'm in this boat with Alien: Isolation. I loved the atmosphere and how dated everything was, like going back in time. I fucking love the main menu with the theme from the first movie incorporated into the creepy ambience and how the entire game takes place on something that seems big when you're on it but it's just a blip on the map and how small you really are. The first half of the game is terrifying and the first time the Xenomorph is actually introduced to the gameplay, there's no notification that this is happening and it just... happens. Go hide. And I can appreciate that it's a learning machine; I was very surprised, to say the least, when the alien stood just outside the effective range of my flamethrower the second time I tried to use it then learned how long it could burn before I had to reload and was turned into a snackrifice.

However.... it's long. Really long. Too long, just shorten the damn thing and stop padding it out. I get if they were trying to replicate the first movie with an unexpected fourth act but still, it was too long. The game abruptly gets much less scary the second a shotgun falls into your inventory, as per usual with horror games. The characters (with my personal exception of Samuels) are... boring and the environmental suit-wearing Working Joes are pains in the ass to fight. These didn't RUIN the game for me, per se, but there's something to be said if you're like "finally it's done" then you realise that there's still like six chapters left and instead of being on the edge of your seat, you're thinking "really?"

c-no

Gluttonous Bed Shitter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. At first the games fun and all but once you destroy Sehelanthropus, that's where the hate comes in. Half of the missions just being recycled shit but with higher difficulty and the like. I honestly do wish there was more to it but it ends up feeling empty.

Skyrim. Much as I have fun making some new characters to replay the main quest and build them up, there isn't really much else to do with him. Sure the modding community can help in adding in more quest but that sort of thing is hit and miss. Doesn't help some of the mods can end up fucking your game.

@chadmuska hit the nail with Fallout 4. I can admit to having my share of fun with it but settlement building is a pain in the ass just because you don't have enough of certain resources. It makes me wish getting more bottlecaps was easier. The party members in that game aren't any more memorable for me save for Curie and Nick though they will never compare to characters like Sulik and Marcus.

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus. I really wasn't a fan of how the game has to hinder you with cutscenes where you are made helpless. Add to that, revisiting stages is just going in a "reverse direction". Would of been nice if revisiting stages had more variety to them beyond stuff like "it's night time in Roswell and all you got are a bunch of KKK guys with a deathbot". Still, it has good moments like seeing Hitler as an old mad man with a various health problems, fighting two giant Nazi death robots in the sky, and some abilities you get later on, even though I dislike the whole cutscene where you get beheaded (probably the only thing that I really didn't like).

Finally, there's DOOM. I have fun playing the game and it's up there with Shadow Warrior in being a good modern day remake. What I hate was how the game felt a bit like Serious Sam in that you can't really progress to another area until all the monsters are dead. Still, I found it to be more enjoyable than Wolfenstein II.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Brutal
kiwifarms.net
What I hate was how the game felt a bit like Serious Sam in that you can't really progress to another area until all the monsters are dead.
Doom is legit my favorite game of this generation, and I do agree with this sentiment. The thing about the original game was that shooting demons was less about progression and more about survival. It doesn't matter how many you kill, it matters if you can get to the end. It should say something that you could do pacifist runs in the original but they're completely impossible in the new one.