Games you gave up on. -

Sir Wesley Tailpipe

kiwifarms.net
Alundra 2. Not that it was a bad game, it just came nowhere near to living up to the excellent original. I was actually at the final dungeon, but the game was getting increasingly tedious, so I said fuck it.
Alundra 2 isn’t a good sequel to Alundra because it’s a completely unrelated game by a different developer that Vic Ireland decide to re-title to deceive people into buying because Alundra was a surprise hit for Working Designs!

On topic:

Red Dead Redemption.

I wanted to love it, but between Rockstar’s shit controls and tedious gameplay I quit about 6 hours in.

I find it weird how many GTA clones I have enjoyed, but yet I can’t fucking stand the actual Rockstar games themselves.

Detrogen

Senior Citizen Virgin
kiwifarms.net
Red Dead Redemption.

I wanted to love it, but between Rockstar’s shit controls and tedious gameplay I quit about 6 hours in.

I find it weird how many GTA clones I have enjoyed, but yet I can’t fucking stand the actual Rockstar games themselves.
When it comes to open world games, Rockstar unashamedly sacrifices fun for realism. So you end up with a beautiful recreation of the west, but you’re forced to rope cattle for two straight hours. Or in GTA’s case, your fun crime thriller is interrupted by hanging out with your fat, loser cousin.

My favorite games by Rockstar are specifically their non-open world games like The Warriors, Max Payne, and Manhunt.

Sir Wesley Tailpipe

kiwifarms.net
When it comes to open world games, Rockstar unashamedly sacrifices fun for realism. So you end up with a beautiful recreation of the west, but you’re forced to rope cattle for two straight hours. Or in GTA’s case, your fun crime thriller is interrupted by hanging out with your fat, loser cousin.

My favorite games by Rockstar are specifically their non-open world games like The Warriors, Max Payne, and Manhunt.
And none of those games were actually developed by R*, but by other studios branded as Rockstar teams for marketing. I love The Warriors.

I wouldn’t say GTA or Red Dead are realistic in anything but environments. The gameplay is terrible and not anywhere near realistic, and the controls are like trying to guide a manatee with Down’s Syndrome and Parkinson’s disease through a china shop. Barely passable, and on the low side of the competency bar.

Last edited:

Magic Sun Daddy

Get on the ball, bitch.
kiwifarms.net
The usual suspects for me.

Fallout 4 was a spit in the face of the series in regards to it's writing and I can't get invested no matter how hard I try.

Started playing GTA Online for the hell of it. If you're playing with friends who know what they're doing it's fine but otherwise it's like playing with a handicap. Also there's grifters, but that's a given.

I stopped playing Chrono Cross after one of the characters was poisoned. One of the things I appreciated about it's predecessor Chrono Trigger was that it managed to get me invested in saving that I spent very little time with. Yet when a main character in it's sequel is in danger, I could care less. Also, I couldn't get into the battle system. Felt too slow for me.

UFC 3's submission and grapple system made me fume a number of times before I finally just uninstalled it during a run on Career Mode.

vertexwindi

Diddy in space, even though he's not
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I stopped playing Chrono Cross a few hours in when there was zero feel of being a sequel to Chrono Trigger. Different characters, different setting, different game system. Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?
The only hints that it's got anything to do with Trigger come hours into the game lmao.

• Agree
Reactions: Francis E. Dec Esc.

Spunt

A Leading Source of Experimental Internet Gas
kiwifarms.net
I know this is a weird reason to have a game piss you off to the point of not playing it any more, but Planet Coaster's main menu theme music may well have been at the root of why I didn't like the game. It's so fucking smug in a hipster "advert for a corporate brand trying to be woke" sort of way that it sets that tone for the entire game. All whistling and ukeleles. And once you have in your head that "this game is massively up its own asshole and thinks it's the best game ever" you can't un-think that, or at least I couldn't. All the game's little annoyances, like the unreasonably awkward interface, the patronising yet unhelpful tutorials, the dumbed-down mechanics compared to similar games, the nickle-and-dime DLC, the glitches and performance problems, they all conspired with that fucking music to make me really hate the game after an hour or two. I usually really like that sort of game as well (spent way too much of my childhood on RCT1 and 2) but that game just rubs me up the wrong way.

Edit: I looked into it and this is the soundtrack's description from the devs:

"The whimsically optimistic yet contemplative music of Jim Guthrie often captures the mystery and majesty of life in relatable, universal terms. Along with collaborator JJ Ipsen, he’s taken his instrumental prowess to another level with the emotionally impactful folk and rock 16-song soundtrack for Planet Coaster."

Urrrggghhhh

ClipBitch

kiwifarms.net
Avorion. I want to like it, but the forced weapon and material progression ruins it for me. It's a sandbox game that's meant to be replayed but every time you start a new game you have to drudge through hours of using lame weapons and lame materials. I want to play it right meow to try out the new updates but I can't bring myself to fly a shitty unshielded ship with only mass drivers again. The material system can stay, but they should disconnect block types from it so you can build a hanger ship right away if you want. They should also un-level the weapons so you can use anything you want right away.

Reverend

kiwifarms.net
Final Fantasy VII-XV

I couldn't do the grind anymore, I couldn't remember who the fuck was who, all these names I need a goddamn almanac to understand what the fuck was going on, and finally it became boring as there was no 'GPS' like system so I had no idea where I left off or where I should go.

Final Fantasy I-IV I beat a few times, Tactics was a goddamn masterpiece that was insanely fun. The rest felt like I was playing in someones D&D world that made shit up as they went along and forced you to 'understand' their made up nonsense with no context.

Reactions: Tour of Italy

Anonymus Fluhre

No man fears what he has seen grow
kiwifarms.net
Resonance of Fate, hated the fact you have to do the tutorials to go through the rest of the game and they are poorly describe. Had to uninstall not 30 minutes into it.

The Littlest Shitlord

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The only hints that it's got anything to do with Trigger come hours into the game lmao.
Oh wait, I read some plot spoilers ages ago and remembered something just now. Wasn't Chrono Cross basically about how changing history is bad, and Lucca ended up as a bitter hag because of it? And guess what you spent the entire previous game doing? Talk about going out of your way to tear down and destroy the classic thing you were making a sequel to; this was basically Disney Star Wars before Disney Star Wars was a thing.

Dunsparce

Out of Control
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Oh wait, I read some plot spoilers ages ago and remembered something just now. Wasn't Chrono Cross basically about how changing history is bad, and Lucca ended up as a bitter hag because of it? And guess what you spent the entire previous game doing? Talk about going out of your way to tear down and destroy the classic thing you were making a sequel to; this was basically Disney Star Wars before Disney Star Wars was a thing.
It was less that changing history is bad, it was more like there ended up being some repercussions from changing history, like Dalton ending up on the Zenan mainland in the present era after falling through that warp hole in Trigger. raising an army in Porre to destroy the kingdom Guardia(While this wasn't said directly in-game, it was a common fan theory that was confirmed in the extra content of the DS remake of Trigger), turning Porre into a powerful military state that invades the islands during the events that take place in in the Home World Dimension of Chrono Cross.

And Lucca didn't become a bitter hag, she opened an orphanage in her house(which you visit late in the game when going into another character's memory/nightmare). Said orphanage was burned down and she was killed during those events. She didn't live long enough to become a hag, actually. One of the main characters(Kid) was a child at that orphanage and is out for revenge.

From what was said about the third game that was never made was going to be about(Said in an interview only a few years ago), it was going to be various Trigger and Cross characters trying to stop the various tragedies that happened, like saving/recruiting Crono and Marle during the fall of Guardia(Reminder that Crono married Marle and is effectively a prince of the country at the end of Trigger so they were most likely living in the castle)

Angel Dust

Nobody wants to admit they ate 9 cans of ravioli
kiwifarms.net
Dead space 3. Honestly I can't remember why, just that i hated it and stopped playing.

The tales from the borderlands series bored me to absolute death and i stopped playing those too

RosesAreRed

kiwifarms.net
Darkest Dungeon - this shit genuinely stresses me out. The visuals and the music are what originally drew me in, but it gives me a headache every time I play it, so I noped the fuck out. Didn't help that most of the time RNGesus was not in my favor.

Starbound - a friend warned me that I probably wouldn't like it, since most people who've played Terraria first don't like Starbound. That said, I doubt I would have liked it if this wasn't the case. The controls feel clunky, the story is forced and boring, the missions are mostly 'go to a place and scan a thing' like old Destiny and the combat and crafting are incredibly annoying. So it's probably going to keep collecting dust in the Steam library for good.

Looney Troons

i need that money i really do i need that money
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Midair. I’ve made it clear in a few adjacent threads that I’m a huge Tribes sperg, so I was super-hyped for Midair when it was announced. I bought the early access package in 2016 to play early and was impressed enough, it was Similar enough to the gameplay I wanted but a totally different style and lacking polish. It released in 2018 to very little fanfare. I believe I saw maybe 100 players maximum. The game was locked behind a leveling system even more egregious than Tribes: Ascend, and was just frustrating to play.

Unreal engine has very wonky net code, especially when it comes to collision and object detection if your network latency exceeds 50ms. For example, you could peg someone with a midair disc and have it just clip through their body because your latency was higher than someone else’s. Incredibly frustrating. On top of that, the maps were somehow atrocious and disjointed.

I waited so long to play a Tribes game again and probably managed 2 hours maximum out of Midair. By now, there are likely only a few small handfuls of players and the skillcap is now absurd. 100 dollars down the drain. Where I know this isn’t the “early access backers woe” thread, at least I received a somewhat finished product here, unlike my “trailblazer” status for EverQuest Next.

Livecorpse

kiwifarms.net
Starbound - a friend warned me that I probably wouldn't like it, since most people who've played Terraria first don't like Starbound. That said, I doubt I would have liked it if this wasn't the case. The controls feel clunky, the story is forced and boring, the missions are mostly 'go to a place and scan a thing' like old Destiny and the combat and crafting are incredibly annoying. So it's probably going to keep collecting dust in the Steam library for good.
Agreed. I got suckered in by that big "BY THE MAKERS OF TERRARIA!!!!" blurb that was all over the internet when Starbound was being produced, and was super hyped up for it to release...then I played the beta for two hours and realized it was basically Terraria with all the charm stripped out, and never touched it again.

Tags
None