Games you gave up on. -

Cable

kiwifarms.net
Razum-dar
I don't even recall that character at all strangely enough as I do remember playing a Breton character, who was locked to a completely different faction. I could not for the life of me recall any character other than Cadwell, the character that actively helps you out no matter which faction you are in, and the guy who constantly calls you Vestige who was the first tortured person you saved if I recall.

Raiken

Making Nanomachines great again
kiwifarms.net
I will admit there is one game I didn't finish:
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.
Everything was going well: 2 of the 4 bosses were beaten, had over half of the masks, and was making excellent progress at a rhythmic pace.
Then, utter failure in Twinmold's dungeon due to a mishap with the hookshot and got stuck at the bottom at that portion of the dungeon.
After being forced to reset time, I couldn't figure out which parts of the game needed to be repeated (and which masks needed to be collected, AGAIN) and I just turned the game off in frustration.
Haven't played it since.

There is also something I haven't played in years due to a bullshit glitch.
The Halo Master Chief Collection.
For some damn reason, I can't get the achievements for completing Halo: Anniversary (MCC) on Legendary as well as half of the campaign's achievements.
I keep hoping one of the updates fixes my predicament, but it hasn't happened so far when I occasionally start the game.
It's crap.
I hope you where not playing the 3DS version of the game, because the boss of that tempel was not good to begin with but now somehow became the worst boss of the entire series.

5t3n0g0ph3r

Resident Archivist
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I hope you where not playing the 3DS version of the game, because the boss of that tempel was not good to begin with but now somehow became the worst boss of the entire series.
No, I was playing the Gamecube version (Yes, MM was released for the Gamecube).

The Iconoclast

No more half-measures
kiwifarms.net
Too many to count.
FFX and FFXII because they were boring.

I've semi-given up on Atelier Ryza because there doesn't seem to be much plot, it's like a slice of life JRPG without any real stakes or anything there to motivate me to push on (but I'm probably gonna pick it back up at some point cus I didn't totally hate it, and tbf I did reach a point in the story after 40 or so hours where the story took an interesting turn).

I've also semi-given up on The Witcher 3 because it's dragging like hell. For a game that's supposed to be one of the greatest of all time, it takes fucking forever to get to the point. Unless the point is to send you on wild goose chases whilst doing errands for people you don't fucking care about, in which case ten outta fucking ten. The RPG elements of The Witcher 3 are also kind of bizarre, and feel really weird in action, like the combat system, the healing system, and the fact that you can't find a decent set of clothing for Geralt that won't make him look like an actual clown.

Dragon Quest XII S, right before the final final boss, because the "true" story ending was so fucking awful.

Xenoblade 2 because it's boring, the mob spawns were designed by an austist, the battle system is fucking atrocious, the dub is awful, the character designs are terrible, and it's overall probably the worst JRPG and general RPG I've ever played,

Red Dead 2 because it's less interesting semi-realistic wild west setting and more horseback riding hold-X simulator,

Rise of the Tomb Raider, which is kind of tragic considering I really enjoyed the first one, but this one isn't even remotely interesting, and the fact that they're emphasizing really hard on the open world in this game (versus the pathway-type open world the first one had that complemented its story really well) really didn't do it for me.

Life is Strange: Before the Storm, I hated the first one's ending but I got this one on a really good sale. It's too fucking boring.

Borderlands 2, because for me, it took way too fucking long to get through, and the characters are absolutely insufferable.

Assassin's Creed Black Flag, while I did somewhat enjoy the pirate ship fights, I enjoyed even more the traditional AC playstyle, so I neglected the Jackdaw a lot. There was one mission toward the end that you literally could not beat unless you upgraded the Jackdaw a LOT, and money was near impossible to come by unless you were willing to take a day or two to no-life the game. Fuck that.

Kingdom Hearts, the combat system was atrocious and I keep hearing about how the story makes zero sense, so I'm not sure why I'd want to play a game when I'm not going to be able to understand the story or enjoy the flow of combat.

And finally, last one of the top of my head is Days Gone, because I couldn't enjoy the game while I was worrying about the extremely fragile motorcycle all the fucking time, and the HOARDS of zombies ALWAYS show up at the worst moment and take you VERY off track, ESPECIALLY when you're trying to service your motorcycle. Days Gone took a really neat idea of an open world TLoU zombies game and fucked it into the ground.
Small update to this, I finished Red Dead 2 and actually loved it, and I played through more of The Witcher 3 and came to appreciate it more.

Now that Days Gone is free on PS Plus I might consider going back to it but the more I think about it, the more I remember that I really didn't have any fun with that game.

Cat Phuckers

Critically acclaimed "far right troll"
kiwifarms.net
I gave up on Garry's Mod for a long time because all of the servers became extremely sanitized and the admins turned petulant and childish. Most servers will instantly permaban you for using racial slurs, you can't make fun of trannies. Even the most inoffensive forms of minging (breaking RP rules in a troll-like manner) are banned from almost all RP servers, and most servers are run by retarded child-grooming diaperfur tranny jannies.

Just a few days ago, things got even worse than I expected. The new person in charge of Garry's Mod, Rubat665 (also known as robotboy665), updated the Server Operator Rules (Archive), announcing on Steam (Archive) that the current way server operators run their own servers is "unacceptable". The shocking part of this is, like I said, most servers are absurdly sanitized. To see the super restrictive and inoffensive nature of modern Garry's Mod servers, and try to come up with a way to suggest that it is still "unacceptable" in terms of how "offensive" it is takes somebody who is looking for things to be outraged by. If anything, it's far easier to become outraged at how restrictive everything is nowadays. The Server Operator Rules are a ruleset that server operators are supposed to oblige by, formerly a very liberal and common-sense ruleset. This update explicitly banned the Rape SWEP (a comedic scripted weapon, which they specifically went out of their way to name) and any and all content relating to "sexual violence". If you're familiar with the Rape SWEP, you would know it's a joke SWEP and has no sexual value, is known widely as a joke SWEP, and is a staple in many Garry's Mod servers.

Mind you, if you run a server that breaks these new bizarre rules, your server will get blacklisted, which removes it from the server browser, making it much harder (almost impossible, but not completely impossible) to users to access. A blacklist appears to be permanent, and the only way to appeal it is to send a begging email to the head janitor, Rubat. Any current or prospective server owner, as well as any player, should keep a tab on this as it continues. The rules for blacklisting have always been very unclear, but generally you had to be actively trying to get blacklisted. Since this ruleset update was published, we can now see what the moderators and admins who are in charge of the blacklisting process are concerned with.

My greatest concern is that these new rules may very likely have inadvertently just banned Pedobear (a meme that will always have a special place in my heart lol). Pedobear, like the Rape SWEP, is also a Garry's Mod staple, as weird as that may sound. There's a Pedobear Escape gamemode and a large chunk of DarkRP servers and other servers have always had Pedobear jobs and used Pedobear playermodels.

The removal of these harmless addons has caused quite a shitstorm, to which Garry Newman, the creator of Garry's Mod (as well as Rust), has replied by aggressively lecturing his userbase (Archive) about how he doesn't want servers to allow users the option to play as "rapists" or "pedophiles" and what he says goes. He also left a tasteless remark (Archive) about how anything his mother wouldn't approve of should be banned from Garry's Mod, instead of giving server operators the liberty of choosing what to ban from their own servers.

I have switched from giving up on this game to trying to make a server as of a few months ago (a project I have been working on and off again on for years), and I won't let these rules stop me from making my server the way I want to. I even created a personal Pedobear job for myself where he has a modified Rape SWEP that makes the player shout Navi voice lines when stalking his prey, and shouts "NIGGERS" and "Get a job nigger" when he rapes them. The idea that I would have to remove this job and the associated SWEP from my server because Garry Newman's mom wouldn't like it is absurd and I won't stand for it. I also founded my server on the basis that it would be anything goes for the most part, with bullying, slurs, and all kinds of minging being tolerated and oftentimes encouraged.

rip pedobear.png
Don't accuse me of being an imageboard fag btw. I drew the 4chan chick because she's associated with Pedobear oftentimes. I find imageboards quite boring and autistic, so don't get the wrong idea.

I believe this event at least warrants a small thread about Facepunch, as this is just one of many past controversies, with the state enforced racial diversity quotas in Rust being another notable point of contention amongst Facepunch users. Lemme know what you guys think and if anybody could help with a potential thread, then hit me up in DMs.
UPDATE: Scratch what I said in that last paragraph. It turns out Facepunch does have a thread, and it's quite active.

Last edited:

TheImportantFart

The Fart Supremacy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I haven't actually given up yet, but I'm seriously considering dropping Kingdom Hearts re: Chain of Memories and watching the cutscenes on YouTube. I don't like the card battling system at all and the whole thing feels lifeless and empty.

Niggernerd

Hiya pops, long time no post.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I haven't actually given up yet, but I'm seriously considering dropping Kingdom Hearts re: Chain of Memories and watching the cutscenes on YouTube. I don't like the card battling system at all and the whole thing feels lifeless and empty.
Funny enough i genuinely like it more than the console games, ansem is actually difficult in it

Puff

God of Chaos
kiwifarms.net
As a kid I got absorbed in FF10's celestial weapons.... And never finished the game. Got to "inside Sin" got sidetracked, and never finished up.
I did pick it back up in college and finished it something like a decade later.

Drag-on Knight 91873

"Listen man, it's complicated."
kiwifarms.net
Code Name: Steam. Game wanted to be like goofy X-com, but made overwatch shots OP, which disincentive bold advances. Valkyria Chronicles did the job so much better.

LinkinParkxNaruto[AMV]

I try so hard and got so far
kiwifarms.net
I started a lot of jrpgs that i never beat. I really love the ps1 ones specially, but they are just too long and i am too ADHD, there's also too damn many. When i got into emulating i was overwhelmed by how many there are.

I hard quit Persona III because i hate dating sims, Persona games are cringe af.

kūhaku

from the outside looking in
kiwifarms.net
I hard quit Persona III because i hate dating sims, Persona games are cringe af.
I tried to start playing a persona game, particularly persona 4, but I just could not get into the gameplay. The story was, alright I guess, but all the other things are what really got me. I just don’t like that kind of turn based combat, and all the fusing and such just turned me off to it and I completely stopped.

OT: I decided to take some advice I’ve seen around and played a game on a low difficulty, DMC 5 (first of the series I’ve done) on Human with auto combos on. I had a pretty good time overall. Without the auto combo system and the low difficulty of Human, it probably would have been added to the list of games I dipped a toe into but never finished. I’m thinking it’s better to play a game on easy if that’s what it takes to enjoy it, than to not play it at all just because you aren’t cut out for hard mode. I wonder how many dropped games I have are a result of this problem

Overcast

Buttmunch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I remember getting pretty far in Darkest Dungeon and then dropping it. I recall trying the first level of the final set of levels, but got my ass kicked. I recall half my party died and one had to stay behind for the last one to escape.

The game was already pretty grindy by that point, and then I found out that even if you get through the level with no one dying, you couldn't use them for the next level. I guess it's because they're mentally traumatized from being down there. So in order to beat the next level, you would have to grind more characters up to lv. 5 and hope you can get through.

At that point, I just couldn't be bothered and moved on with my life.

From what I recall, the game has been patched and changed extensively so it isn't as obnoxious and RNG heavy, but I don't really care enough to go back.

Seventh Star

hungry burger fan
kiwifarms.net
Assassin's Creed, the OG one. I can't play it anymore even if I wanted to, but I actually thought it was a fantastic game. Really pretty and had a lot of nice, interesting elements, especially the arabic setting (which I've never seen done well again, it's a really pretty game). I didnt enjoy the sword combat very much, but just killing random civilians with the dagger and figuring out the clunky climbing controls was good enough for me. However it just got too boring to do the missions, so I stalled around the 4th target and never touched it again.

Toolbox

Buy dat hell
kiwifarms.net
Prey 2 or the Prey remake. I'm not into slow horror games in general, so it's not my thing from the get-go, but it's major focus on it's story is what got me. It's just not as impressive as most of the game's audience tries to act like it is. How many times have we already seen a Matrix-like scenario play out like it does in this game? Without going into spoiler territory, it rides too much on a big reveal, one that was already spoiler before the game came out in it's trailers. The big reveal the original prey 2 would have had before it was canned was way better IMO, in which near the end of the game the player character finds out that they've died a ton of times on the final boss (I believe one of the game's main mechanics was going to be a cloning revival system). It's at least an idea that hadn't been done to death when the game was being made. By the time Prey came out it's concept was done to death, and even before it's development was greenlit. And it's a reveal not even 1/10th into the game. You don't even get to really know the player character or any other characters before the reveal occurs.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Sweeney did nothing wrong.
kiwifarms.net
I’m thinking it’s better to play a game on easy if that’s what it takes to enjoy it, than to not play it at all just because you aren’t cut out for hard mode. I wonder how many dropped games I have are a result of this problem
Are you an enlightened Brad Shoemaker? ("That game was really good, I don't remember why I stopped playing it..." - "Did you try to play it at the highest difficulty level?" - "Hm. Well...")

Nick Gurs

"The Good, The Bad, The Autistic"
kiwifarms.net
I tried to start playing a persona game, particularly persona 4, but I just could not get into the gameplay. The story was, alright I guess, but all the other things are what really got me. I just don’t like that kind of turn based combat, and all the fusing and such just turned me off to it and I completely stopped.

OT: I decided to take some advice I’ve seen around and played a game on a low difficulty, DMC 5 (first of the series I’ve done) on Human with auto combos on. I had a pretty good time overall. Without the auto combo system and the low difficulty of Human, it probably would have been added to the list of games I dipped a toe into but never finished. I’m thinking it’s better to play a game on easy if that’s what it takes to enjoy it, than to not play it at all just because you aren’t cut out for hard mode. I wonder how many dropped games I have are a result of this problem
Tried to get into persona 5. the sudden difficulty spikes and lack of freedom of the earlier persona games with morgana and the shitty level design was too much.

Gave up on Destiny 2 because sunsetting pinnacles AND content you paid for is the biggest slap in the face any gaming company has been ballsy enough to try and pull off in a very long time on top of still demanding more money to resell the same shit you already had back to you.

As well as Bungo pushing faggotry and troons in the form of "TRANS AS BUNGO"

and "Bdont fucking matter if they have to bitch to me about it like autistic freaks of nature chimping out and looting." Instead of fixing any bugs, dealing with the rampant cheating in crucible, or adding any meaningful content like new raids, dungeons, or strikes.

Last edited:

Ruin

Mercenary Slut
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Tried to get into persona 5. the sudden difficulty spikes and lack of freedom of the earlier persona games with morgana and the shitty level design was too much.

Gave up on Destiny 2 because sunsetting pinnacles AND content you paid for is the biggest slap in the face any gaming company has been ballsy enough to try and pull off in a very long time on top of still demanding more money to resell the same shit you already had back to you.
Persona 5 is actually the most open of all the Persona games. The six or seven hours of talking to people and then being forced to go to sleep isn't representative of the whole game although it does suck.

Nick Gurs

"The Good, The Bad, The Autistic"
kiwifarms.net
Persona 5 is actually the most open of all the Persona games. The six or seven hours of talking to people and then being forced to go to sleep isn't representative of the whole game although it does suck.
Compared to Persona 3, definitely. Just didn't like the Phantom thieves really coming off as self righteous hypocrites after a while, literally doing the same thing to their marks as what happened to Joker and holding something they held dear hostage in exchange for a ransom, then not doing anything to enact sustainable change like they claim to want with their robin hood themed vigilante justice. Nothing is stopping them from reverting right back after they fuck off when they get their Treasure back. Metaverse shit or not. Sure some of them deserved it, but they sure as hell aren't going to solve some of the larger problems they dip into with a few well placed dungeon heists. They're just too big compared to the smaller scale of beating back an ancient entity and solving a paranormal mystery.

Could write a blog on it, but it doesnt make as much sense and is not as compelling as the main motivations of 3 and 4.

In gameplay videos, They apparently got rid of that morgana sleep meme mechanic in Royale, added in all the cut content found in the original P5 files, and even created a devroom for players to explore. However, I'm not shelling out for a full priced game for an update worth $15 DLC at most.