Games You Like But Everyone Else Hates

• Registration is closed without referral. This is a website about Internet drama.

LightDragonman1

kiwifarms.net
Quake 4 on the other hand was just such a simple gung-ho shooter that I had a lot of fun with. RIP Raven.
Quake 4 is unironically my second favorite in the Quake series. Mainly due to it basically going from a standard military sci-fi setting to full on Biopunk by the second act, something that really sets it apart from the rather generic setting of Quake II, which it is a direct sequel to.

On the note of the topic at hand, I'll say it again, but a hated title that I like is definitely Bionic Commando 2009. Having replayed it again recently, I still stand by it being a really exhilarating experience, even if the story and plot twist are incredibly dumb (though in light of the Attack On Titan ending, it comes off as tame in terms of "stories with swinging powers"). Not to mention one heck of an awesome soundtrack.

M3xus

This user doesn't know what he's talking about
kiwifarms.net
The Surge is a collection of decent ideas executed sloppily with a story that exists just to move you from point A to point B. But there's something fun about wearing a forklift and stabbing fools with industrial plasma cutters.

For those curious, the sequel is a much better experience overall, with all sorts of ways to abuse the combat (such as parrying an attack and flying three yards to counterattack a different dude). Story's still crud, but there's hilarity in it aping Evangelion.

Resident Evil

I haven’t lost my virginity because I don’t lose!
kiwifarms.net
SMT II. It’s given a lot of shit in the community on one side of the isle as primitive dogshit and the other says the games before were better, which is bullshit on a technical, AND a story standpoint, objectively. It just feels like either no one has played it and hates it or likes it and has. Anytime I ask about those who played it it’s always ”Good game, wouldn’t play again.” then again, the SMT community is full of posers so I shouldn’t be rupturing a spleen too harshly over it.

06D4655F-B638-4144-A580-A11983208192.jpeg

Syaoran Li

Carter Stanley Lives!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Unironically, Resident Evil: Survivor.

Yeah, it lacked light gun support in America and the weird mesh of FPS with old-school tank controls is something to get used to, but in all honesty, I still kinda like it.

The branching paths were neat and while a lot of people don't like the fact most of the enemies were just reused assets from RE1 and RE2, I actually think that adds to the weird charm of it. Especially since it has some of the more unusual boss monsters as enemies, including the giant moth and the giant gator from RE2 and the Black Tiger from RE1.

It's the kind of game that would honestly make for a good remake in the RE Engine.

Chef Hanlon

Hey hey people, Chef here
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I quite liked Driver Parallel Lines despite people thinking of it as a GTA 4 clone.

Punished Benis

Corey Barnhill in a daycare
kiwifarms.net
The 3rd person shooter called Vanquish. When I first got the game for PS3 it wasn't that well received. Not sure how it is now. There's this one scene in it that cracked me up. It still makes me laugh whenever I see it.

View attachment 2245237
Yeah, Platinum getting recognition plus Vanquish being ported to PC definitely resulted in Vanquish being a game with more retrospective recognition than it had at release.

And yeah, that scene got posted in like every fourth thread on /pol/ for a while. Still hilarious.

Ginger Piglet

Burglar of Jess Phillips MP
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I liked Cyberpunk 2077.

I've given my reasons over in that thread. I did quite a lengthy review of it there. Basically, its bad reputation seems to be the result of a lot of content having been removed rather gracelessly (think pulling someone's limbs off like a sadistic child pulling the wings off flies as opposed to surgical amputation), excessive ambition, and the fact that the console version was a massive fucking shitshow. And the latter, incidentally, is probably true; CDPR's strategy of "develop for top end PC and then downgrade till it works on seven year old Bulldozer boxes" was a failure. However, I played on PC which had a lot fewer issues from the outset. Ray tracing is still a meme though.

I also think a lot of people were expecting either The Witcher: Dark Future or GTA 2077, when what they got was more akin to Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. In fact, I would say that CP77 is probably the true and honest successor to VTMB. It's not about saving the world. It's not even about saving yourself. Rather, it's about coming to terms with your new reality and the fact that having a dead terrorist rockerboy in your head might make you incredibly powerful, it also threatens to destroy you and makes you a target for death or manipulation by powerful forces and groups that are way beyond your ability to influence.

I also liked ELEX, a Eurojank RPG from the developers of Gothic that was trashed at launch for its wonky facial animation and difficulty cliff and dubious melee combat, but which once you get over that is absolutely worth playing.

And I liked The Long Journey Home. Once again, get over the difficulty cliff and enjoy what is a mish-mash of Star Control with extra roguelike stuff with surprising hidden depths and replay value (the game is designed that it is impossible to 100 percent it in a single run.)

I have weird taste in games.

Kurtis Trent

tomb raider fanboy
kiwifarms.net
- I love Silent Hill 4. Obviously, it's not the best SH game and some of its design choices are questionable, but a lot of its criticism is undeserved. I actually found the combat easier to get into than in the previous games: camera is way less retarded than in SH2-3 and the character is easier to control. I like Henry. Considering this game is fundamentally about introversion, the character who's socially awkward and can't properly communicate with people works for the story. It's a different kind of a personal horror where you become a part of someone else's nightmare, a lot like the first Silent Hill was, but it was more interesting then rehashing SH2 like every later game did.
- Silent Hill Origins was basically a fanfiction, but it looked good and I enjoyed seeing Alessa fucking shit up.
- Silent Hill: Heavy Rain Downpour. I think it was a step in the right direction, sadly, poorly executed. I enjoyed exploring the town and side quests, but the main story is painfully generic. Still better than Homecoming.
-Resident Evil 6. You need a very specific mindset to enjoy it, and despite it being a mess, it has the most fun combat out of the modern RE games.

The Penultimate Warrior

kiwifarms.net
The 3rd person shooter called Vanquish. When I first got the game for PS3 it wasn't that well received. Not sure how it is now. There's this one scene in it that cracked me up. It still makes me laugh whenever I see it.

View attachment 2245237

I thought everyone loved Vanquish? For me it was actually one of those games that was more enjoyable on lower difficulties, as you could just live out the power fantasy and enjoy the batshit craziness and nonsensical plot.

Car Won't Crank

My cars won't crank
kiwifarms.net
I thought everyone loved Vanquish? For me it was actually one of those games that was more enjoyable on lower difficulties, as you could just live out the power fantasy and enjoy the batshit craziness and nonsensical plot.
You're right. I see it's on Steam now and it's highly regarded as basically a cult classic. When I first got the game though all the review outlets panned it for boring story or clunky controls or bland antagonist.

Neet Tokusatsu Hero

I'm a hero, but still fat and a NEET
kiwifarms.net
Yooka-Laylee, i got that game for my birthday a couple months ago as a gift from a cousin, i played it with low expectations and got all achievements, and... i actually had a lot of fun, i don't get it, i was expecting Sonic 06 levels of bad, but Yooka-Laylee pretty much was everything i wanted from a collect-a-thon, yeah, the game it's not perfect, Capital B. as a final boss sucked, and the minecart segments were kind of frustrating, but that's far from a deal breaker, for over 90% of the time, Yooka-Laylee was exactly what i wanted, exploring large open-ended levels, talking to NPCs, playing minigames and collecting shiny things.

StevieLasVegas

kiwifarms.net
I like DmC: Devil May Cry.
I never played any Devil May Cry games, but gameplay-wise, it really looked like a good DMC game with its biggest gripe being that they turned Dante into a cunt. That, and Combichrist's music got really shitty once they did the soundtrack for the game.

Product Placement

kiwifarms.net

View attachment 2245237
What you talking about everyone loves that game, Metacritic is 84/100, has 9/10 on steam. It's very well liked, in fact only badish review from a bigger site I can find is the 5/10 from Jim Sterling for Destructoid and he had the rep for well not really playing the games he reviews with max only a few hours put in, such as FF13 where he only played about 3 hours of it before his review or Bioshock 2 where it was around an hour.

When he was called out for not playing the games he reviewed, he privates his 360 account and posted this bitchfit, missing the point of why people were calling him out.

LightDragonman1

kiwifarms.net
What you talking about everyone loves that game, Metacritic is 84/100, has 9/10 on steam. It's very well liked, in fact only badish review from a bigger site I can find is the 5/10 from Jim Sterling for Destructoid and he had the rep for well not really playing the games he reviews with max only a few hours put in, such as FF13 where he only played about 3 hours of it before his review or Bioshock 2 where it was around an hour.

When he was called out for not playing the games he reviewed, he privates his 360 account and posted this bitchfit, missing the point of why people were calling him out.

Hey, what do you expect from Jim Sterling? The guy docks points if the game doesn't specifically cater to the play style he refuses to change, as apparently, adjusting one's strategy or approach to it is too much to ask of him. He did the same thing with Breath of the Wild and Prey 2017 as well.

JamesFargo

Small booty, big crimes against humanity
kiwifarms.net
- I love Silent Hill 4. Obviously, it's not the best SH game and some of its design choices are questionable, but a lot of its criticism is undeserved
Is this controversial? The level re-use is the biggest sticking point. It's a weaker entry, for sure, but the general consensus is positive.

eileen_galvin__silent_hill_4__the_room_by_alienally_debxxlx-fullview.jpg

Last edited:

Nero You're DeadWeight

Seto Kaiba please crush a cake for me!
kiwifarms.net
I really like Resident Evil: Code Veronica tbh.
I know it's really divided but I had a ton of fun with it as a kid?
Like sure you fuck up the game if you don't get the fire extinguisher, Steve is annoying (But I don't think so I had a crush on him growing up so i'm biased and I still like him as a character), story doesn't make a damn lick of sense, but I thought the B.O.W.S and zombies were hella cool, but I liked it. Plus Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles introduced me to that game and kicked off my Resident Evil PS2 buying spree as a kid too.
Resident Evil Revelations was also really good in my opinion. That was also a "mixed" reception game but I thought the cruise ship was fun to explore. Hell my fave thing to do was scan EVERYTHING cause I wanted those points.