Games You Like But Everyone Else Hates

• Registration is closed without referral. This is a website about Internet drama.

We need a 3PL

JamesFargo

Did a dime in San Quentin.
kiwifarms.net
I really like Resident Evil: Code Veronica tbh.
I know it's really divided but I had a ton of fun with it as a kid?
The game itself is solid. Critics single out the story for starting a bad trend. It's amazing that Claire, a college student, can pull off those acrobatics in the intro.

Last edited:

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yooka-Laylee, i got that game for my birthday a couple months ago as a gift from a cousin, i played it with low expectations and got all achievements, and... i actually had a lot of fun, i don't get it, i was expecting Sonic 06 levels of bad, but Yooka-Laylee pretty much was everything i wanted from a collect-a-thon, yeah, the game it's not perfect, Capital B. as a final boss sucked, and the minecart segments were kind of frustrating, but that's far from a deal breaker, for over 90% of the time, Yooka-Laylee was exactly what i wanted, exploring large open-ended levels, talking to NPCs, playing minigames and collecting shiny things.
That makes sense. Yooka-Laylee's hate seems to come from disappointment that it's not as good as Banjo-Kazooie, but if you never played that before, Yooka seems alright. It runs well on PC and the art direction is spot on, so it's got that going for it.

But the devs axed a Jontron cameo in a ridiculous show of virtue signaling all because Jontron was cancel culture's flavor-of-the-week right then, so that secured that series and Team 17 on my shitlist forever.

Neet Tokusatsu Hero

I'm a hero, but still fat and a NEET
kiwifarms.net
That makes sense. Yooka-Laylee's hate seems to come from disappointment that it's not as good as Banjo-Kazooie, but if you never played that before, Yooka seems alright. It runs well on PC and the art direction is spot on, so it's got that going for it.

But the devs axed a Jontron cameo in a ridiculous show of virtue signaling all because Jontron was cancel culture's flavor-of-the-week right then, so that secured that series and Team 17 on my shitlist forever.

That's the thing, i did play Banjo-Kazooie when i was a kid, and i did play it again recently on an emulator, and to me , most of the stuff people complained about, like levels being too big, there being only 5 stages or the transformations are a non-issue.

When it comes to Jontron stuff, i'll be honest, i barely know who he is, i've seen only a couple of his videos at most, so i was largely ignorant of his cancellation campaign, so the removal of his cameo didn't affect my enjoyment of the game, i guess that alongside playing the game with low expectations made enjoy it a lot more.

Kurtis Trent

tomb raider fanboy
kiwifarms.net
The game itself is solid. Critics single out the story for starting a bad trend. It's amazing that Claire, a college student, can pull off those acrobatics in the intro.
It was intended with Jill in mind. Sad we never get to see her and Chris take down Umbrella.
Do you think crowdfunded games come under greater scrutinity than big releases?
They always overestimate their budget and capabilities. Swery's Good Life has been delayed for a third year already, but that to be expected...
Is this controversial? The level re-use is the biggest sticking point. It's a weaker entry, for sure, but the general consensus is positive.

View attachment 2253101
Best girl Eileen, but yeah, some Team Silent elitists hate it and still believe it wasn't originally meant to be SH game (fake news). Masahiro Ito didn't like it (yeah, 'cause he didn't work on it) and they always use that argument to treat it as "non-canon" and Homecoming stans use it as an example that "Team Silent made mistakes too!". The funny thing is, SH3 was originally meant to be an arcade shooter before they re-worked it last minute, and it arguably suffers more from the re-used assets because that actually hurt the story in SH3's case. It's not Team Silent's fault, they clearly did their best, but so did SH4's team. Both games were rushed because KONAMI was being a money grabbing whore. My biggest gripe with The Room is puzzles and linear levels, but it's a rare case when a game can crawl under my skin.
I really like Resident Evil: Code Veronica tbh.
I know it's really divided but I had a ton of fun with it as a kid?
Like sure you fuck up the game if you don't get the fire extinguisher, Steve is annoying (But I don't think so I had a crush on him growing up so i'm biased and I still like him as a character), story doesn't make a damn lick of sense, but I thought the B.O.W.S and zombies were hella cool, but I liked it. Plus Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles introduced me to that game and kicked off my Resident Evil PS2 buying spree as a kid too.
Resident Evil Revelations was also really good in my opinion. That was also a "mixed" reception game but I thought the cruise ship was fun to explore. Hell my fave thing to do was scan EVERYTHING cause I wanted those points.
Steve was done better in Darkside Chronicles where he's actually playable and has a good chemistry with Claire, but in the original he kinda felt pointless. He didn't even get a proper boss fight, just a pointless corridor running sequence RE6-style.\
I'm still hyped for the fan remake.
E2n665MWUAEDQhc.jpg

JamesFargo

kiwifarms.net
Steve was done better in Darkside Chronicles where he's actually playable and has a good chemistry with Claire, but in the original he kinda felt pointless.
Those gold lugers, tho

Steve_Burnside_(TFS_011).jpg

It's easy to write it off as rose-tinted glasses. But CV was a Dreamcast exclusive. PS1 was marketed to adults; DC skewed a bit younger. So lots of impressionable kids were introduced to RE via Claire and Steve. CV was my first RE game. (Personally, I thought Capcom were sipping Retardation while making it.)

Probably a comparison to be made with FF10. That’s not to say that Tidus doesn’t have admirers, myself included. But we are swimming against the tide, and the game contributes to that tide.

Last edited:

Kurtis Trent

tomb raider fanboy
kiwifarms.net
Those gold lugers, tho

View attachment 2254941

It's easy to wave it off as rose-tinted glasses. But CV was a Dreamcast exclusive. PS1 was marketed to adults; DC skewed a bit younger. So lots of impressionable kids were introduced to RE via Claire and Steve. That's all anecdotal, though.

CV was my first RE game, though I detested it. I thought Capcom was sipping retardation while making it.

Probably a comparison to be made with FF10. That’s not to say that Tidus doesn’t have admirers (myself included). But we are swimming against the tide, and the game contributes to that tide.
Never thought about it this way. I see what you mean, it definitely suits better for dreamcast. I played the PS2 port and it pales in comparison to Silent Hill 2 or Outbreak, but at least it remains unique in the series. I love to crap on this game, but it's actually one of my favorites. It was supposed to be a start of the Umbrella downfall arc, but then 4 came out and swept it under the rug.

Nero You're DeadWeight

Seto Kaiba please crush a cake for me!
kiwifarms.net
Never thought about it this way. I see what you mean, it definitely suits better for dreamcast. I played the PS2 port and it pales in comparison to Silent Hill 2 or Outbreak, but at least it remains unique in the series. I love to crap on this game, but it's actually one of my favorites. It was supposed to be a start of the Umbrella downfall arc, but then 4 came out and swept it under the rug.
I bought both the PS2 and Dream Cast version, mainly because my parents said "hey no buying big hardware your birthday is soon!" (apparently a ps2 was "big hardware" and I ended up getting a CHONKY ps3 that year anyways) so I settled for a dream cast at the pawnshop and got it bundles with RE 2, 3, and CV tbh. Only thing I had to do was buy one of those stupid memory things since it didn't come with it.

Not relevant but for some reason RE2-3 had infinite ammo (RE2 had a minigun)/ all costumes unlocked (for RE3) but there were no saved games on the disk or memory card I dunno if that was just a me thing or unique to those two dreamcast games? I never bought any other games for the thing outside of resi so I have no idea.

I feel like I made way more progress on the dreamcast with CV than on the ps2? Granted I was a kid but it felt really janky and stiff on the PS2 port compared to the dreamcast. Only way I even made a "shred" of progress on PS2 was by memorizing what I did on dreamcast and going from there, since even another "tanky control" game, Dead Aim, felt like butter compared to CV on ps2.

JamesFargo

kiwifarms.net
Figuring out the battle system in Chrono Cross makes me feel like I'm 80 years old and trying to figure out how to install iTunes on my microwave so I can use the iPhone a salesman tricked me into buying. Feels bad.
Field Effect is not a bad idea tbh. Magic has a tangible effect on the battle arena. If the enemy gets the upper hand and turns the Field solid (by casting like-colored spells), those attacks do more damage, especially to characters whose color is diametically opposed.

If this happens in the fight with Garai, then you're proper fucked. (I disliked CC, but this is pretty smart. It forces you to include Lynx, a Black character-turned good, in your party. His predator is Garai, a fallen knight who was once on the side of White.)

25-garai52.jpg

The main issue people seem to have is bringing the wrong colored characters into a fight. Field Effect doesn't play into any disc 1 battles. It's easy to get rawdogged by Farmer Brown or Vigo the Carpathian and not know why.

Last edited:

Kurtis Trent

tomb raider fanboy
kiwifarms.net
I bought both the PS2 and Dream Cast version, mainly because my parents said "hey no buying big hardware your birthday is soon!" (apparently a ps2 was "big hardware" and I ended up getting a CHONKY ps3 that year anyways) so I settled for a dream cast at the pawnshop and got it bundles with RE 2, 3, and CV tbh. Only thing I had to do was buy one of those stupid memory things since it didn't come with it.

Not relevant but for some reason RE2-3 had infinite ammo (RE2 had a minigun)/ all costumes unlocked (for RE3) but there were no saved games on the disk or memory card I dunno if that was just a me thing or unique to those two dreamcast games? I never bought any other games for the thing outside of resi so I have no idea.

I feel like I made way more progress on the dreamcast with CV than on the ps2? Granted I was a kid but it felt really janky and stiff on the PS2 port compared to the dreamcast. Only way I even made a "shred" of progress on PS2 was by memorizing what I did on dreamcast and going from there, since even another "tanky control" game, Dead Aim, felt like butter compared to CV on ps2.
yeah, 2 and 3 had easy modes with unlocked bonus weapons. If I'm not mistaken, DC versions were ported from PC, so some features are from there, like unlocked costumes in RE3 and a hard mode for 2. Fun fact, the original Japanese version of CV had three modes (very easy with infintite ammo, easy, normal) but those were absent in western releases for some reason.

Jimmy Hopkins

Kang of Bullworth
kiwifarms.net
Bioshock infinite, Max Pain, Fortnite, and my favorite game of all time: Bully. Fortnites community and recent updates are complete and utter garbage but the game itself is/was extremely fun. I don’t see how people can say that FN is a shitty battle royale game. It’s literally the only battle royal that has anything unique to offer which is building.

Vault Boy

Corporate Mascot of Vault-Tec.
kiwifarms.net
Bioshock infinite, Max Pain, Fortnite, and my favorite game of all time: Bully. Fortnites community and recent updates are complete and utter garbage but the game itself is/was extremely fun. I don’t see how people can say that FN is a shitty battle royale game. It’s literally the only battle royal that has anything unique to offer which is building.
What monumental asshole hates a game like Bully? It's such a unique game even after all these years.

Ginger Piglet

Burglar of Jess Phillips MP
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What monumental asshole hates a game like Bully? It's such a unique game even after all these years.

I have never played it.

It was called Canis Canem Edit over here in bongland because some Karen concerned parents screeched about the idea of making a LITRUL BULLYING SIMULATOR.

Jaimas

darkestse.cx
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Those gold lugers, tho

View attachment 2254941

It's easy to write it off as rose-tinted glasses. But CV was a Dreamcast exclusive. PS1 was marketed to adults; DC skewed a bit younger. So lots of impressionable kids were introduced to RE via Claire and Steve. That's all anecdotal, ofc

CV was my first RE game, though I detested it. I thought Capcom was sipping retardation while making it.

Probably a comparison to be made with FF10. That’s not to say that Tidus doesn’t have admirers (myself included). But we are swimming against the tide, and the game contributes to that tide.
I've never been a fan of CV, and I've never been shy about talking about it. The sheer retardation of the intro, the fact that it was a TIME OF SUCK game and as a result, censored to shit (to the point it had negative effects on Gameplay), the ammo starvation, the Characterization, blatant engine re-use that was a step downward from RE3, really obtuse puzzle and boss logic, the list goes on.

The biggest one is that the game was originally intended to be much darker and lean towards some Nazisploitation (with the implications being that Umbrella was founded by WWII German staffers obsessed with creating the ubermensch; it's why so much of Code Veronica's "Prison Camp" is, on closer inspection, very obviously a concentration camp, which is why it has guard towers with machine guns, crematorium ovens, and an area where doctors carry out unethical experiments, as well as why the Ashford Family flag and crest look like Nazi iconography (and why the tank in the front yard is a Tiger).

But I will respect the ever-loving hell out of the people who grew up with this title, and enjoyed it warts and all. CV has this sort of weird charm to it that honestly wouldn't go amiss in the series; if nothing else I can accept others loving it if they can accept me enjoying the RE3 remake despite its own mountain of flaws; fair is fair, after all.

AmarettoPie

Definitely not poisonous.
kiwifarms.net
Koudelka (Playstation). Nobody likes (or even remembers) Koudelka, preferring Shadow Hearts (its sequels), instead. And that makes me sad because I was that one person that actually liked the battle system of Koudelka and wanted to see it improved/expanded upon.

I also didn't see why people kept knocking the battlefields for not having a background. I never gave a fuck because the models were cool and it wasn't like there weren't different kinds of ground or anything. My kid brain always saw the lack of battle backgrounds as shadowy darkness, not void. You WERE running around a creepy manor/castle in the middle of the night.

JamesFargo

kiwifarms.net
The biggest one is that the game was originally intended to be much darker and lean towards some Nazisploitation
Can we get some Dyanne Thorne up in here?

Hilde_schmittendorf.png

All the major horror franchises end up embracing slapstick comedy, and RE is no different.

Evidently, there were heated arguments between the US and Japanese offices over 7. Every installment promises to go 'back to the roots' (Silent Hill again), but there's still the temptation to take your foot off the gas too early. The action junkies far outnumber the purists, and no business is going to pass up that kind of money without a fight.

Last edited: