Games You Like But Everyone Else Hates

Acrid Alchemist

Drinker of mysterious brews
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Because you didn't specify video games I'll say Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition. It has a load of completely unwarranted vitriol online from people who I'm pretty sure haven't even played it and instead are just parroting garbage they read years ago from people who were blindly hating on it because it didn't follow the precious D20srd. Even in real life I've met people who spouted lies about the game just to continue their hatred of it even though when pushed they'll admit they never even opened a single one of the books. On the flip side I've met people who obviously had played it and decided it wasn't their cup of tea and went to play their preferred game instead while not talking shit and that's perfectly fine.

Is it perfect? Hell no. It has plenty of issues just like every edition of D&D. It is still my favorite edition of D&D though. Even if the the vestiges of the community is rife with trannies who don't even care about the game and just want a community to infest.

The handsome tard

I will pay you to kill yourself. PM me
kiwifarms.net
- I love Silent Hill 4. Obviously, it's not the best SH game and some of its design choices are questionable, but a lot of its criticism is undeserved. I actually found the combat easier to get into than in the previous games: camera is way less retarded than in SH2-3 and the character is easier to control. I like Henry. Considering this game is fundamentally about introversion, the character who's socially awkward and can't properly communicate with people works for the story. It's a different kind of a personal horror where you become a part of someone else's nightmare, a lot like the first Silent Hill was, but it was more interesting then rehashing SH2 like every later game did.

Honestly, its only "bad" if you compare it to the first three and it still stands fine on its own. If you compare to what came afterwards, its as good as the first three.

Starved Artist

Merge Casualty
kiwifarms.net
All three parts of Final Fantasy 13.

It crafted an excellent founding religion/world building story ( It's scientology + hinduism) that people didn't have the patience for. ( I wrote an entire thesis on my former blog about how complex the story was. and I hated the fuck out of the game at first )
Also Lightning was Waifu of the Century. Serah was also one of the best performances by Laura Bailey in existence. Like holy shit. I cannot stand that woman's voice in video games. She's like Nolan North, except unlike North. When she actually does a voice, you can't tell it'se her.

Resident Evil : Operation Racoon City.

I fucking love this game simply because it fits in better with the storyline (UP TO A POINT) than the remakes. Also you get to shoot Leon in the face if you want. It's like the developers of the game really wanted to make the Resident Evil Villain experience and you know what. They succeeded. It is still the best Multiplayer Resident Evil game since Outbreak. Shame what happened with Resistance and where the fuck is REverse?

There aren't many games where you're clearly the bad guys going around preforming the coverup. Most of the cover-up protection games? you're an agent for a clandestined group that's doing the world a favor. Fuck that noise. Let's be evil without twirling a mustache.
Most videogames are afraid to actually let you be evil and reward it or the game gives you a shit reward for taking the evil path. Orc? You get your reward regardless ;f what path you take.

Quantum Theory.
It's Gears of War... If Gears of War had a compelling storyline. The entire story was a left field sucker punch but any reviews you read about the game only complain about it being like Gears of war. Not many games actually give a valid, in-universe and logical reasoning behind regenerating health.
Like one of your dudes straight up dies after his ability to regenerate from damage fails him. Call it corny and cliche, but when you learn what our Hero really is? A rogue fucking anti-body from a giant lifeform created to seed earth. The main character is literally a cancer.
Worst thing about the game is the goddamn jumping sequences. And you don't even have to jump to complete them if you actually stand still and wait for the platform.

Syaoran Li

Goth Mom
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've already mentioned Resident Evil: Survivor and the Army Men games, so I'll also add that I'm a fan of the PS2 game Dead to Rights.

I wouldn't say that game is hated per se, more along the lines of just plain forgotten. Given that it's a pre-RE4/Gears of War third-person shooter in the vein of Syphon Filter or the first Max Payne, the game probably feels very clunky and generic by today's standards.

Dom Cruise

*Siiiiiiiiiip*
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
- I love Silent Hill 4. Obviously, it's not the best SH game and some of its design choices are questionable, but a lot of its criticism is undeserved. I actually found the combat easier to get into than in the previous games: camera is way less retarded than in SH2-3 and the character is easier to control. I like Henry. Considering this game is fundamentally about introversion, the character who's socially awkward and can't properly communicate with people works for the story. It's a different kind of a personal horror where you become a part of someone else's nightmare, a lot like the first Silent Hill was, but it was more interesting then rehashing SH2 like every later game did.
I always used to like 4 pretty good, but the last time I played it I really hated having to go through the levels again, the more familiar you are with the game the worse that is.

There's a lot about the game that's great though, another year of polish and it could have been stellar, but Konami gonna Konami.

- Silent Hill Origins was basically a fanfiction, but it looked good and I enjoyed seeing Alessa fucking shit up.
Origins has some interesting elements that prove Climax understood the series far better than any other western dev that took a crack at it did.

Is this controversial? The level re-use is the biggest sticking point. It's a weaker entry, for sure, but the general consensus is positive.
I've seen it get a fair amount of flak over the years.

I've never been a fan of CV, and I've never been shy about talking about it. The sheer retardation of the intro, the fact that it was a TIME OF SUCK game and as a result, censored to shit (to the point it had negative effects on Gameplay), the ammo starvation, the Characterization, blatant engine re-use that was a step downward from RE3, really obtuse puzzle and boss logic, the list goes on.

The biggest one is that the game was originally intended to be much darker and lean towards some Nazisploitation (with the implications being that Umbrella was founded by WWII German staffers obsessed with creating the ubermensch; it's why so much of Code Veronica's "Prison Camp" is, on closer inspection, very obviously a concentration camp, which is why it has guard towers with machine guns, crematorium ovens, and an area where doctors carry out unethical experiments, as well as why the Ashford Family flag and crest look like Nazi iconography (and why the tank in the front yard is a Tiger).

But I will respect the ever-loving hell out of the people who grew up with this title, and enjoyed it warts and all. CV has this sort of weird charm to it that honestly wouldn't go amiss in the series; if nothing else I can accept others loving it if they can accept me enjoying the RE3 remake despite its own mountain of flaws; fair is fair, after all.
Last time I played Code Veronica recently I was newly aware of the original Nazi connection idea and it made the prison camp areas so much more creepy, I dare say Capcom should have stuck with the idea.

I've already mentioned Resident Evil: Survivor and the Army Men games
I've tried to replay the Sarge's Heroes and Air Attack games and find they don't really hold up, especially the Sarge's Heroes games, but they were perfectly solid rentals back in the day.

Bunny Tracks

Nothing equals the splendor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I know it's obvious at this point, but FFXV.

The game is a stupid, confusing, unfinished, janky dumpster-fire, and while I love it, I will fully admit that it is one of the worst FF games, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless it's on sale for like $10.

The handsome tard

I will pay you to kill yourself. PM me
kiwifarms.net
The game is a stupid, confusing, unfinished, janky dumpster-fire, and while I love it, I will fully admit that it is one of the worst FF games, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless it's on sale for like $10.

Hasnt this been the whole FF franchise after maybe 9 or 10? (Or hell, after 6)

Starved Artist

Merge Casualty
kiwifarms.net

I actually bought the complete edition last year before the pandemic kicked off and it's still sitting unopened. I'll play it eventually..Hopefully. Otherwise I'll just turn into a shitty horder.

The Fair Lady

Blind spider waifu
kiwifarms.net

I don't know if I would go that far, but being unfinished, requiring supplementary material to fully understand the story and having gone through a huge rewrite definitely hurt 15 (especially when you look at how much they downgraded Luna from her original concept as Stella). Damn shame the devs didn't manage their time better.

Last edited:

Coldgrip

Agreed upon laws of the wild
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The 2014 Thief game. I never played the originals, so I don't know how bad they butchered the series as people so it did, but I like it.

Weaponized Autism

kiwifarms.net
Bioshock infinite, Max Pain, Fortnite, and my favorite game of all time: Bully. Fortnites community and recent updates are complete and utter garbage but the game itself is/was extremely fun. I don’t see how people can say that FN is a shitty battle royale game. It’s literally the only battle royal that has anything unique to offer which is building.
None of those games are hated except fortnite. People were worried about bioshock infinite before it came out because it didn't take place in rapture, but it turned out to be a great game. The first two max payne games are beloved classics and even the third game isn't that bad. And bully is considered a hidden gem by basically everyone who knows about it. fortnite on the other hand is a bitch basic, micro transaction riddled battle royale that only took off because the cartoony graphics and the building mechanic appealed to mentally challenged zoomers.

CAPTAIN MATI

kiwifarms.net
None of those games are hated except fortnite. People were worried about bioshock infinite before it came out because it didn't take place in rapture, but it turned out to be a great game. The first two max payne games are beloved classics and even the third game isn't that bad. And bully is considered a hidden gem by basically everyone who knows about it. fortnite on the other hand is a bitch basic, micro transaction riddled battle royale that only took off because the cartoony graphics and the building mechanic appealed to mentally challenged zoomers.
Bioshock Infinite is pretty hate tbf and for good reason.

I always liked the Castlevania Lords of Shadow series which gets a good amount of fanboy hate.
I also really like AC III which gets a lot of hate from the community and not for bad reasons, but I still think it was a pretty interesting game.

Dom Cruise

*Siiiiiiiiiip*
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The 2014 Thief game. I never played the originals, so I don't know how bad they butchered the series as people so it did, but I like it.
What ruins that game is the half assed open world hub, it would be fine if it was just a series of levels, but having to navigate the confusing as shit hub just killed my interest.

Menotaur

I paid for this image
kiwifarms.net
Galaga. I've given serious though to beating the World Record, just need to find some good meth and brush up a bit.