Games You Like But Everyone Else Hates

• The site is having difficulties because our bandwidth is totally overextended. Our 1Gbps line is at 100% even when there aren't 8000 people on the site. We were supposed to get a second Gbps line months ago but I'm struggling to get technicians scheduled to set it up.

Dwight Frye

kiwifarms.net
It has a bit of a cult following now, but Clayfighter 63/3 was a game I had a lot of fun with back in the day. It had terrible reviews when released, and couldn't stand up with the big three fighting game series.

I'd love to see how people would react to the Kung Pao character today though.

Migraineur

But why
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Finally taking myself out of lurker mode...

Dragon Age 2.

People shit all over this game (for good reasons). But I love it almost, if not as a much, as Origins. Hated it my first playthrough, played it again and fell in love. It was something different with its Hawke-centric storyline instead of doing the save-the-world shtick. Also appreciated how developed the characters felt.

ThinkThankThunk

Bitbean billionaire for hire; never employed
kiwifarms.net
Homefront: The Revolution is my favourite shooter of the generation by a country mile and it elicits disgusted groans from every single person I talk to about games. I enjoyed it so much in fact that after I had finished it I bought the Collector's Edition for dirt cheap and played through it again. Even though the game ran at a buttery smooth 15 frames a second at best, nuked my saves repeatedly, crashed constantly and was riddled with glitches I couldn't help but love it. The gunplay, the world design and the zone system are all fucking stellar. You can tell that the game passed around developers a lot; the combat is distinctly Crytek, the parkour and environment design is obviously from Techland, the strange designs and weird story are from Kaos, and the buggy slop that holds it all together was courtesy of Dambuster. It's a mishmash of shit that should by all means create completely derivative garbage, but it ends up being one of the most unique action games I've ever played.

It's a real shame gaming rags beat on the game so much and killed any chance it had at selling halfway decently. It had all the stink of a colossal turd and they shot it down for that, but take my word and give it and the expansions a shot; it's absolutely worth it.

Bagronkleton

Crush you up easier than a little bag of crisps
kiwifarms.net
This one

y80wXfx.jpg

I played through the whole thing and I didn't see what was so bad about it aside from the main character.

Damn, you beat me to it. So I'll just chip in my two cents as well since I don't have a contingency game to post about.
I didn't even mind squall, honestly. I had a friend with a similar disposition to just not like being anyone that wasn't in his very small social group. And even then that was barely considered socializing. So I figured squall wasn't emo or some shit, he just doesn't give a fuck about most anyone.
From a mechanics standpoint I'd say it is head and shoulders above the others.
I'm a Stat min-max kinda guy and the junction system let you fine tune (or outright break) so much! Reminded me of early Armored Core in that regard with spending hours making the right cheese build. That and weighing the pros and cons of casting a spell. Would casting Ultima as the fight winning spell be worth the longer term hit to the character's Stat bonuses?

Only thing I hated was if you accidently tainted one country's card game rules and fucked up the rules everywhere permanently as a result. Absolutely hated that.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Closed for summer
kiwifarms.net
Alone in the Dark (2008) is... it's not underappreciated, it has ~55% on metacritic and that's fair, it's broken, frustrating and unfinished. But it was really forward thinking, it broke a lot of ground.

It had crafting before crafting was a common/mandatory thing and it mostly made sense. If an aerosol can with double sided tape on it can stick to things and then shot to explode... what if you tape a bunch of nails to it... or some glow sticks...

It was an open world survival horror game before The Evil Within 2. It even had cars and driving, it also had side missions that felt natural, like wondering what's in a building you've passed a couple of times or finding an open manhole. There's no leveling up the character or the weapons, you do these things out of curiosity.

It released at the same time as Far Cry 2 and both had fire that propagated, except it was way cooler in AITD because you could burn down more than brush.

No hud or inventory screen or anything like that and the inventory limit was what could fit in Carnby's jacket. Cool and very annoying.

Episodic, you could jump to a later/next chapter if you got stuck and like Alan Wake there was summaries/recaps at the start of every new one.

Physics and deformation. Don't want to find the key? Just break down the door, or set it on fire then kick it to shit when it weakens, if it is a steel door and you have the time then just find something to smash the lock/handle out of the door frame. Or go for the hinges if they are exposed. It's dynamic deformation that governs this, there's no HP on the door, this means that you can permanently fuck yourself and have to restart the chapter if the door gets smashed in a way so that it is stuck even if you find the key/code.

During the brief moments when the stars align and satan smiles everything comes together the game was fantastic, like being out of weapons and chased by immortal demon-zombies, running into a restroom and spraying the stalls with lighter fluid and setting them on fire, then kicking the stall doors to pieces and using the flaming toilet door to beat the zombies to death because they can only be killed by fire. That happens dynamically and organically, that's what the game was supposed to be, but moments like that might be a combined 30 minutes out of the 10-15 hours that the game takes to complete.

I really like it and I strongly recommend that you don't play it.

HeyYou

YOU BETTER RUN!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Some of the classic Fallout spergs, like the ones on No Mutants Allowed. For them, to say that they hate the game and Bethesda is a bit of an understatement, they're outright livid because the series was taken in a different direction and some perceived mistakes with the lore (like, really minor shit, such as Jet being in Vaults).
Well, this didn't age well, because they really did make a few major lore mistakes with 76. But to contribute to the thread, I actually kind of enjoyed the stupid battle royale mode in 76, and I'm not against saying the game is decent if the single player content they're releasing turns out to be good. Bethesda just needs to realize the direction they're taking this game in proves that people just wanted a single player spin-off in the same engine like New Vegas.

BrunoMattei

No I am not the Cinema Snob
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I never understood how Streets of Rage 3 gets shit on pretty routinely. The problem is that the American version sucks. It's not just censorship, there were gameplay changes that negatively impacted it. It seems that the majority of criticism is about the soundtrack which I agree isn't as good as 2 but it's still far from bad. I've always preferred 3's gameplay the most because of the dashing and I love the 2 different endings.

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Neither of these were hated, but the Internet's dominant opinion is at odds with me on both.

Watch_Dogs was AMAZING, way better than GTA V, and better than Watch_Dogs 2.

Assassin's Creed III was the best Assassin's Creed aside from Black Flag (Black Flag doesn't count since it's more of a strange spin-off that feels like a different series).
Watch_Dogs really was terrific, and a lot of the hate came from a vocal minority of internet spergs who got assmad about how its E3 trailer looked slightly better than the retail PC release. None of the hate was about any of the five different console versions, let alone how the DLC-free Wii U version was a year late for no reason.

Why does this video have 7.2 million views? Oh no, the details in the physics engine aren't absolutely mind-blowing. What did you expect? It was a fun game otherwise, and causing crashes by hacking street lights to run the police in pursuit off the road was a lot of fun. Even the protagonist, albeit bland, was believable. At least a lot more believable than the soft black kid you play as in the sequel who looks more like he should be holding a game controller than a gun.

BrunoMattei

No I am not the Cinema Snob
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I also enjoy the NES Nightmare on Elm Street game. Ever since the AVGN review it got a bad wrap. The only down sides to it being that you can't see your health bar and the hit-detection can be questionable which is something James never brought up in his video. Far more questionable than Ninja Gaiden 1 or NES Batman. Otherwise it's a good game. 7/10 material unlike the Friday the 13th game which is dog shit.

The Sauce Boss

merry crimiss, pogchamp!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Tecmo Koei "Warriors" Games- Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors, Warriors Orochi, Legends of Troy, shit like that- I'm sorry, but they're just great ways to learn a little bit of pseudohistory while turning your brain off for a few hours a day.

ZMOT

wat
kiwifarms.net
the things it id
Watch_Dogs really was terrific, and a lot of the hate came from a vocal minority of internet spergs who got assmad about how its E3 trailer looked slightly better than the retail PC release.

to be fair it does run and look like ass, mainly because it was made during ubisoft's "lol fuck pc" years. with ubi remastering asscreeds left and right I really hope they do it with watch_dogs too.

Assassin's Creed III was the best Assassin's Creed aside from Black Flag (Black Flag doesn't count since it's more of a strange spin-off that feels like a different series).

Crystal Golem

*Unsolicited opinions about PPP*
kiwifarms.net
Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance
220px-Birthright_-_The_Gorgon%27s_Alliance_Coverart.png

209751-birthright-the-gorgon-s-alliance-screenshot.png

birthright-the-gorgon-s-alliance_1.jpg

birthright-the-gorgon-s-alliance_8.jpg
You could go on Adventures which were like your RPG dungeon crawl. The items and spells you gained could then be used on the campaign and battle map. It was sort of like a Total War game with added RPG elements for your leaders and lieutenants.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Closed for summer
kiwifarms.net
Watch_Dogs really was terrific, and a lot of the hate came from a vocal minority of internet spergs who got assmad about how its E3 trailer looked slightly better than the retail PC release. None of the hate was about any of the five different console versions, let alone how the DLC-free Wii U version was a year late for no reason.

Why does this video have 7.2 million views? Oh no, the details in the physics engine aren't absolutely mind-blowing. What did you expect? It was a fun game otherwise, and causing crashes by hacking street lights to run the police in pursuit off the road was a lot of fun. Even the protagonist, albeit bland, was believable. At least a lot more believable than the soft black kid you play as in the sequel who looks more like he should be holding a game controller than a gun.

Agreeing with Piss is becoming a habit.

I like Watch_Dogs as well and the critic and videos mocking it seem unfair. How the game was going to play was pretty easy to figure, driving/police had an obvious gameplay loop just from the trailers, it wasn't what people wanted because it wasn't what they dreamt it would be.

But there were mission that were great fun. One that I remember really standing out was when there was going to be meeting between two big factions in an old industrial place. They would arrive with lots of heavy and well armed protection at this abandoned place.
You, the player, arrived early and had five minutes and complete freedom to plant bombs and gadgets and set them off from a hidden(but nearby) hiding spot, some machinery could be controlled as well iirc. It was to kill, cause panic/confusion/terror then chorale enemies into areas you control to blast them and as long as you stayed hidden they didn't know where you were or could punish you for it.
If the car in front of the motorcade was undamaged one party might try to get into it drive away, so that needs to be planned for, don't want to chase them down.

That free form planning of an dynamic killbox then watching it play out was a really good idea and a great use of the abilities/equipment in the game.

I know they wanted lots of pew-pew in the game but creative missions like that where guns was the last resort used for picking off stragglers might have made for a better game, or the hacking should always be the entry point where you set up what you want to happen in a kind of planning stage(at 00:03 fire alarm goes off, people starts to leave, 0400 sprinklers kick in making the ones left pick up the pace, I sneak up to floor 14 now that the fire escapes are unlocked in the stairwells, electricity cuts out at that floor on 00:06, then I...)