Games you love but nobody else knows about. - Any games that you've played and like, but never heard any online discussion or met anyone who's played it?

• Ongoing DDoS attack.

Truman the Jewman

I love Israel, I just hate Jews
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
"If your name isn't Final Fantasy, it doesn't sell." - Capcom on retiring Breath of Fire.

This was true even of the golden age of RPGs. Notice how Lloyd (LoD) has the same appearance and motivations as Sephiroth. It was inescapable.

Anyway: LoD is pretty good by modern standards. It exhibits an even keel of sameness throughout. They didn't blow their wad in Disc 1, like so many games of that era. Rose definitely ranks as one of my favorite RPG heroines.

View attachment 2264571

Seems like Monolith were banking heavily on the mother-daughter/lesbian dynamic, but the problem with Shion is that she's not heroic in any sense. (KOS-MOS doesn't have any agency on her own, so you're left with Shion as the protagonist.)

While everybody else is trying to investigate Vector Industries, Zohar and so on, Shion only cares about KOS-MOS, which means she will happily throw the others under a bus at the worst of times. Imagine Gaius Baltar with ovaries.

It's unconventional, I'll give it that, so it has a 'cult following.'

View attachment 2264625

Even I'm surprised at how often I go back to Mercenaries (PS2).

It has an unfinished quality which works in the game's favor. Almost everything is scalable, and there are lots of creative ways to break the AI. It takes place in an alternative universe where Juche has these giant, fuck-off missiles and cannons straight out of Cobra Command. Some of them have to be destroyed while on-foot, and the explosions are always gratifying.

View attachment 2264734

The sequel isn't awful, but it's definitely trading down. A pale imitation of Just Cause.
Another excellent game by Pandemic before they shat away everything they had, got bought by EA and stripped away into the meat grinder because The Saboteur was a fucking terrible game. I remember reading a big premier article in Game Informer about Saboteur before it came out, and even then I thought it sounded gay.

As far as games I like but no one else has ever even heard of them? CDDA takes the cake, for sure. You have to be completely autistic to even enjoy Cataclysm, let alone *get good* at it. But every time I play and die, I learn something new to help me survive the next time; it's a game that builds heavily upon your knowledge and how masochistic you are.

AmarettoPie

Definitely not poisonous.
kiwifarms.net
CIMA: The Enemy/Frontier Stories for GBA. It's about a train full of people getting sucked into another dimension/series of dungeons. There, aliens fuck with them by putting them in dire situations, but purposefully leave a method of escape so that their prisoners can maintain some hope, which the aliens feed off of.

Very anime plot, yeah, but pretty fun. I've never played Lemmings, but it might be like Lemmings? The dungeons are room-by-room puzzles, mostly switch- or button-based. You don't directly control characters so much as instruct them where to go, and they perform actions automatically depending on what's nearby.

The main goal of each room is to unlock the exit and get everyone out alive. You also have to rescue whatever passenger is in the level before they die: All but two are taken away at the start, and you rescue the rest throughout the game. Some people are able-bodied, some aren't. Some can fight, some can't. Etc, etc.

Honestly not a hard game if you're making sure to get the upgrade material from each level (since you can't go back). Most of the challenge comes from the game splitting up your group in unfavorable ways and you responding to that situation. Sometimes a split is because story. More often it's because of something like the only way forward is to send in the ten-year-old and hope he can keep bum-legged grandma safe from the rapidly respawning enemies in a closet-sized room until someone more capable can get there or shut off the respawn crystal or make a path for grandma to GTFO.

It's great for a lite bit of puzzling to wind down with after work. Very fun.

Brandon

DO YOU ENJOY HURTING OTHER PEOPLE
kiwifarms.net
Machinarium, first off its a puzzle game, from some czech dev team that used to make flash games, with little to no replayability. but its art and music is what absolutely captivated me, here are a few snippets from the artbook that i bought
unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png
I also highly recommend you listen to the soundtrack, masterfully crafted game overall!

Bread Fetishist

Public enemy to bakers everywhere
kiwifarms.net
The Wonderful 101. Sure, its Kickstarter campaign last year gained quite a bit of traction, but it seemed that upon release, everyone just ignored it....again. Damn shame, 'cause it's brilliant, probably one of the best character action games out there once you come to grips with its unconventional combat system. The biggest fault with the game, I'd say, is the overabundance of gimmick stages, which could be hit-or-miss, the shmup section in Operation 006-B being a particular lowpoint for me. Aside from that, it's an absolute blast.

Also Stephen's Sausage Roll, a sokoban-style puzzle game about grilling sausages. Like any puzzle game worth its salt, it's grueling and brain-teasing, but ultimately satisfying when you find the solution.

Kheapathic

Low IQ Gorilla Niggers
kiwifarms.net
Went through and Ctrl+F and didn't see either of these.

Septerra Core, a western but Japanese-styled RPG for the PC.
Septerra Core.jpg

Oni, a 3rd Person action adventure with platforming, shooting, and various hand-to-hand techniques.
Really before its time... and before Bungie made Halo... and deserves a sequel.
Oni.jpg

JamesFargo

Saying "oh cool" as I put the gun in my mouth
kiwifarms.net
Oni, a 3rd Person action adventure with platforming, shooting, and various hand-to-hand techniques.
Really before its time... and before Bungie made Halo... and deserves a sequel.
View attachment 2402002
Just bad luck. It was a hasty PS2 port and most of the textures did not survive. It looks like a last-gen game.

You would think these janky, western-made anime games would sell better, but nope. Especially not cyberpunk-themed games.

Kheapathic

Low IQ Gorilla Niggers
kiwifarms.net
Just bad luck. It was a hasty PS2 port and most of the textures did not survive. It looks like a last-gen game.

You would think these janky, western-made anime games would sell better, but nope. Especially not cyberpunk-themed games.
I wouldn't be surprised if Oni was Bungie borrowing from Ghost in the Shell the same way Blizzard borrowed from Warhammer. Outside of the graphics and the jank, there was a lot of impressive shit built into the game; especially with all the different hand-to-hand attacks, takedowns, disarms, and other shit. Definitely something that suffered from presentation and needed time to polish.

Son of Odin

kiwifarms.net
One of my favorite obscure games is Arx Fatalis. I remember when I first played a demo of it I got from a PC Gamer magazine back around the time it came out, then later I bought the full game itself. I love not only the gameplay but the plot and setting too.

Arx Fatalis still has mods being made for it almost 20 years later, the one I'm really looking forward to being the Insanity mod:

Drag-on Knight 91873

"Listen man, it's complicated."
kiwifarms.net
"If your name isn't Final Fantasy, it doesn't sell." - Capcom on retiring Breath of Fire.

This was true even of the golden age of RPGs. Notice how Lloyd (LoD) has the same appearance and motivations as Sephiroth. It was inescapable.

Anyway: LoD is pretty good by modern standards. It exhibits an even keel of sameness throughout. They didn't blow their wad in Disc 1, like so many games of that era. Rose definitely ranks as one of my favorite RPG heroines.

IKR? Although a lot of comes from her having dimension and lore-building attached to her, so you have to infer who she was like in the past. The rest of the cast is serviceable at best. I found disc 2 to be a real drag since the threat was about bandits (and the shitty stealth mini-game that came along with them), the back and forth, and if it weren't for Rose's flashback, Tiberoa never really had a link to the Dragon Campaign outside of its obligatory MacGuffin. The lore of the Dragon Campaign was more interesting than the actual story being told and I'd rather be playing that game.

And Lloyd was always a wuss.

Seems like Monolith were banking heavily on the mother-daughter/lesbian dynamic, but the problem with Shion is that she's not heroic in any sense. (KOS-MOS doesn't have any agency on her own, so you're left with Shion as the protagonist.)

While everybody else is trying to investigate Vector Industries, Zohar and so on, Shion only cares about KOS-MOS, which means she will happily throw the others under a bus at the worst of times. Imagine Gaius Baltar with ovaries.

It's unconventional, I'll give it that, so it has a 'cult following.'
I actually like Shion as a character, although I will admit that the central story was fucked. The planet exploded in 2? Eh, we'll effectively retcon it with the holodeck. All to milk out the drama of the past again. As in that was the goal of the fake time travel plot. It also didn't help that Xenosaga: A Missing Year was supposed to fill in what happened between 2 and 3. Since no one saw it, the opening of 3 is a whole lot of "huh?"

I don't agree with your characterization that she's Gaius Baltar though, as he was a selfish snake acting entirely for his self-interest and inexplicably charismatic. Shion fucks people over due to her unwillingness to face her deep psychological problems, no one looks to her for leadership and worked with the rest of the party members out of circumstance, which is why she was willing to work with Scientia. It's not that she had a particularly strong bond with Jr. or Momo or the Elsa crew. If anything, the other characters pity her by 3 as her fears and neuroses spin out of control.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Excuse me, I currently have some brain damage.
kiwifarms.net
Went through and Ctrl+F and didn't see either of these.

Septerra Core, a western but Japanese-styled RPG for the PC.
View attachment 2401997
Another game in the same style(japanese-style games from western devs) was Silver, also released for the PC in 1999. It was pretty popular, at least in Europe.

Can you guess which game was an inspiration for the devs?
pcgamesilver1.jpgpcgamesilver2.jpgpcgamesilver3.jpg

BrunoMattei

No I am not the Cinema Snob
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There's quite a few obscure ones I love.

Shatterhand.

Peak NES action/platforming. My favorite game on the system. This has gotten more attention in the last few years with at least 2 Kickstarter projects heavily inspired by it.

The Haunting: Starring Polterguy.

Another game that's "90's as fuck" in a good way. Has some minor flaws but it's easily the most unique game of it's kind. I loved this so much that I wanted to steal it from the video store that I rented it from in that pre-internet age.

The Grid.

Extremely fun and the proper follow up to Smash TV. This mofo was a like a LAN party at the arcade and usually you'd see 3 cabinets hooked up but apparently it supported up to 6. It even used a trackball to replicate mouselook and it worked perfectly. It never got ported for some reason even though it would have killed on the original Xbox. I'm just happy it's finally playable on MAME after all these years.

Pronouns: Xe/Xer
kiwifarms.net
Impossible Creatures
Imagine making an army of frankensteinian monster animals and making them fight. IC is in a nice place thanks to its community and a nice RTS game where the strategy starts before the game.

Sacrifice
Pretty unique 3rd person RTS. Not sure why this one never got popular, it's got unique design, powerful apocalyptic spells and solid gameplay.

Atomic Bomberman
Atomic Bomberman introduced me to the Bomberman franchise, and when I played the Japanese Bomberman, they were shit. Atomic Bomberman is 100 times better. It was nice to set up lan and co-op games and play this game. Japanese Bomberman is all cutesy and cuddly, this is none of that and it's awesome.

Marble Blast Gold
This is like Monkey Ball (GameCube), but the gameplay is fully 3dimensional and quite crazy.

Bloodrayne
This game doesn't get talked about anymore (positively) thanks to a few shitty sequels and Uwe Boll's shitty movies. The game features gore and disemberment, some weird creature designs, and a Dcup cheat.

Severance: Blade Of Darkness
It's just Dark Souls before Dark Souls. Without the shitty bosses, cheap hits and insta-kill traps.

JamesFargo

Saying "oh cool" as I put the gun in my mouth
kiwifarms.net
Smash TV.
"A year's supply of good meat" 👉👌

Shatterhand
This one is a legend. They ran an ad for it in Nintendo Power. Some of the most awesomely-bad box art I've ever seen. Ayy i'm fightin robots ova heah

shatterhand.jpg

I didn't know this, but it was originally a licensed game based on a live-action kid's show by Toei. The localized version is a RoboCop clone. Quote Jonathan Kaharl, it "reads like something a child came up with after watching too many action movies and Stan Lee interviews".

Last edited:

XMassAllYearRound

Christmas > Halloween
kiwifarms.net
I just remembered two the other day while dusting off my Genesis collection. Tempo and Super Tempo.
Tempo is rather meh (Gameplay is ok but the level design is a real fucking mess), Super Tempo is genuinely great and sadly one of the most expensive games that I know of.