Games you love but nobody else knows about. - Any games that you've played and like, but never heard any online discussion or met anyone who's played it?

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

Ongoing DDoS attack. kiwifarms.ru may work better for now.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Excuse me, I currently have some brain damage.
kiwifarms.net
Didn't Guru Larry draw that? He's a pretty good artist!
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he did the cover, I don't know if the tattered clothes one is official or if it's an edit.

The art used for the cover is on the left.
D6oToIbW4AAzAd-.jpg

edit: and right when I posted this I saw this in google image search.
SLES-50176-A-ALL.jpg

Syaoran Li

Totally Radical Dude
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Warlords Battlecry trilogy were the perfect hybrid of an RTS and an RPG and I seem to be the only one who even remembers those games.

Stronghold and its spin-off Stronghold Crusader were both favorites of mine but are pretty obscure. They're not as totally forgotten and do seem to have a small cult following.

Nick Gars

"that" guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Also, there’s Intelligent Qube for the PS1, and I think it’s because of the soundtrack.

I fuckin love I.Q. Always my go to test for fresh emulators and console mods.

For me, it's Phantom Dust. It's like a mix of a card game with a 3rd person brawler that while being a triple A caliber game, was intentional released at $20 to keep it affordable. It's an incredibly balance game in that no build is unbeatable, the right card or just raw skill will always net the better player the win. I personally love the aesthetic, story, and soundtrack, but it definitely isn't for everyone. It's an OG Xbox game, but it's graphics honestly still hold up really well today. Microshaft has teased a sequel/revival twice now and shit canned it both times because it doesn't pull "C.o.D." sales numbers.

A-Stump

Dr Robotdick
kiwifarms.net
Raging Loop. I'm not sure how popular it is but I never really seemed to notice any buzz about it. The music is fantastic, the plot is engaging, the overall mood is creepy and somewhat suffocating. Mad Father was a pretty good one too, a lot of the OST has stuck with me for years

Glowie Hunter Art Bell

I'd Rather Die on my feet than Live on my knees
kiwifarms.net
Screenshot_20211115-215452_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20211115-215423_Google.jpg
There were many games in the Choro Q franchise, but the HG games 1-4 were the final Hurrah. HG2 (Road Trip) is the GOAT but HG4 is a huge RPG with. Fuckton of content. Ive beaten HG2 probably 25+ times and 100%d it 5 times, but HG4 ive never 100%.

The HG (High Grade) games were the last releases (besides rhe wii party game) in the Choro Q franchise, which was a line of Japanese toy cars. HG1 was essentially a gran turismo knockoff, HG2 was a full openworld rpg, HG3 used the same engine as HG2 but upgraded thr visuals and decreased/compartmentalized the map, and is the hardest of the bunch. The US release of HG3 got cancelled, but you can find fucky emulated verisons.

HG4 was less detailed and sorta ditched the open world for a more contained area. However it had a ton of RPG elements, unlockables, and tons of time to put into it. It also had an astounding amount of adult content for a childrens game, which included

- Multiple "cancer" deaths
- addiction
- political corruption
- characters with dementia
- close in game friends dying as well as multiple story character deaths
- suicide
- time travel and the related paradoxes
As well as a ton of other shit that was clearly geared at a more RPG focused audience and not kids.

I still play these a couple times a year. Grew up on them and they influence my choice in games to this day.

Stasi

kiwifarms.net
I had a lot of fun with Gun back in the day but it seems to have been totally forgotten. Its an open world western that came out years before Red Dead Redemption, it was pretty well received at the time but I never see it mentioned anywhere these days. Too bad because it was genuinely a really fun game.

Caesare

❤KKK❤
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Idk that people are unfamiliar with these games. I'm sure some of you remember them though they are pretty old and I don't really see them mentioned anywhere, or hear anyone talking about them when bringing up older computer games.

Lords of the Realm 1 and Lords of the Realm 2 on DOS. Pretty typical kind of Simulation game from that time period where you played as a medieval lord in England, obviously.

What made them a bit more interesting than similar games of that genre was that you could build castles to defend your counties. There were pre-made designs you could pick from, like a Motte and Bailey, but you could also design your own in whatever style you wanted, as long as you had the money and supplies, of course.

The enemy would have to siege the castle if they wanted to take that particular fortified county, which took a long time if you had enough food stockpiled in the castle. And while the castle was under siege, you could send an army from another county to fight off theirs and lift the siege.

I liked the battles, too. They were in real time like the original Warcraft game, but with a lot more strategy involved, I thought. Rather than just keep building units until you outnumber and overwhelm your enemy, it was important to arrange your men properly and use any obstacles on the battlefield to your advantage. You could, for instance, put your swordsman in between some rocks or cliffs and funnel the enemy to you, then have your archers behind your swordsman to soften up the enemy with arrows.

You could raise a large army of peasants with pitchforks in a rich, populous county, but if you actually took the time to build weapons and train soldiers, you could take out a whole lot of peasants with a fraction of swordsmen. Especially with a few archers behind the lines.

Knights were really expensive to make, since you needed horses, swords, and armor, but were extremely deadly against peasants and pretty deadly against most types of soldiers besides pikemen.

The second game had a kind of funny feature, I remember, where the knights were so ridiculously fast compared to every other unit. They moved like they were driving cars compared to everyone else.

Neat games though. I played a lot of them as a child at my grandparents home, cuz my grandpa had them on his computer.

Another game I don't really hear about much anymore. It was this game I had for the Sega Dreamcast called Berserker. You were this quiet type guy with a giant sword and you just went around killing everyone. It was pretty bloody too IIRC.

It had a storyline but I don't remember it too much, I haven't fired up the Dreamcast in awhile, and whenever I did lately it was usually just to play Marvel vs. Capcom 2 with someone, but I can just play that on Xbox 360 arcade now and use a controller that won't give my hand blisters like the Dreamcast remote.

But yeah, Berserker was cool and weird. I remember a little while into the game, you would stop killing people and all of a sudden you'd fight all these flower plant monsters. Weird ass game but I remember I liked it quite a bit as a young teen.

Last edited:

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Pinball Quest on the NES
it's like pinball but you buy/steal weapon upgrades from shops and kill bad guys

Michael Wade

Jesus Christ is king, the way, and the life.
kiwifarms.net
Another game I don't really hear about much anymore. It was this game I had for the Sega Dreamcast called Berserker. You were this quiet type guy with a giant sword and you just went around killing everyone. It was pretty bloody too IIRC.

It had a storyline but I don't remember it too much, I haven't fired up the Dreamcast in awhile, and whenever I did lately it was usually just to play Marvel vs. Capcom 2 with someone, but I can just play that on Xbox 360 arcade now and use a controller that won't give my hand blisters like the Dreamcast remote.

But yeah, Berserker was cool and weird. I remember a little while into the game, you would stop killing people and all of a sudden you'd fight all these flower plant monsters. Weird ass game but I remember I liked it quite a bit as a young teen.
Berserk is fairly popular actually. Games are somewhat obscure though. Especially the badass Jap only ps2 one.

Frank West

Part time loser, covered wars, yadda yadda...
kiwifarms.net
Roadwar_2000_Coverart.png

Goddam is it balls hard of a strat game (it is piss easy to get one shotted at first), but goddam is it rewarding once you finally get a good gang built and rolling.

220px-Waxworks-Box_Art.jpg

The gameplay hasn't aged all that well, really, but it's style was unforgettable, and Horrorsoft were prime example of the sort of cowboys in the golden age of PC gaming that propelled the medium. I miss them so much.

Bully from Rockstar Games is the greatest game ever. If you got a problem with that take it up with I, Jimmy Hopkins himself.
RIP, one of the best open worlds R* ever created. Murdered alongside Manhunt in the great GTA: Online massacre.

Even vanilla JA2 makes Wasteland 3 look like baby shit.
Jagged Alliance 2 is STILL the game all tactical RPG's want to be when they grow up. I for one LIKED all the management and options in 1.17.

Last edited:

Ginger Piglet

Burglar of Jess Phillips MP
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
220px-Waxworks-Box_Art.jpg

The gameplay hasn't aged all that well, really, but it's style was unforgettable, and Horrorsoft were prime example of the sort of cowboys in the golden age of PC gaming that propelled the medium. I miss them so much.

Played that back at the time. Yeah, it suffers from serious dead end situations (for instance, if you drop the pit prop across the track in the wrong place you can stop the cart in such a way that it blocks off key items, and if you don't look absolutely everywhere in the pawnshop you don't find the police whistle so can't scare off the thugs and lose all your inventory, and if you are too slow at refilling the sprayer you won't be able to fuel up the drill, and if you forget to look in every last possible vase in the pyramid you won't have all the weights and are one-way-doored from going back to look for them when you find the balance puzzle.)

But that's now what you played it for. You played it for this:

Frank West

kiwifarms.net
Played that back at the time. Yeah, it suffers from serious dead end situations (for instance, if you drop the pit prop across the track in the wrong place you can stop the cart in such a way that it blocks off key items, and if you don't look absolutely everywhere in the pawnshop you don't find the police whistle so can't scare off the thugs and lose all your inventory, and if you are too slow at refilling the sprayer you won't be able to fuel up the drill, and if you forget to look in every last possible vase in the pyramid you won't have all the weights and are one-way-doored from going back to look for them when you find the balance puzzle.)

But that's now what you played it for. You played it for this:

Did you ever play the Horrorsoft game before it, Elvira 2: The Jaws of Cerberus? It was even more fail state happy, if only by it's magic system.

Ginger Piglet

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Did you ever play the Horrorsoft game before it, Elvira 2: The Jaws of Cerberus? It was even more fail state happy, if only by it's magic system.

Played both Elviras and Waxworks but not Personal Nightmare.

Elvira 1 was fairly sensible because the only time you could really be dead-ended is if you used all your flame flowers on making Fire Sponge spells when you needed Glowing Pride to get one of the keys; the rest of the time most deaths are a result of errors in judgement or failing at combat (the combat system was pants, but if you cooked all the Cat and Dog Broth, Palmlight, Manticore Flip, Maiden's Turnover, Demon's Brew, and Sizzling Eggs you could spell-spam your way past all enemies including at least one of the bosses; I also have to admit I did find the culinary motif to the spells rather amusing.)

Elvira 2, though, yeah, I'll give you that. What's that, you turned the hairspray and both bottles of whiskey into fireballs? Should have saved them for the Nova spell, which you need to beat one of the bosses. Didn't grab the tape recorder in the studio offices? Oh no, now you can't cast Telekinesis which you need to retrieve the key from the producer's pocket while he's trapped in the spider cocoon. And you can only get back to the hub once you've solved the spider's level. Didn't grab the curling tongs from the dressing room and aren't high enough level to cast fireball at the thermostat, and you're locked in a cold room? Welcome to dead endsville. Also didn't Elvira 2 have several rooms that existed only to kill you if you walked in without warning you that this might be the case from the outside? That's an adventure game fuck you I can do without frankly.

I beat Elvira 1 and Waxworks but never Elvira 2. I just got fed up of navigating the fucking mazes full of infinitely respawning enemies. The exact point where I gave up was in the catacombs. I'd navigated down to the bottom of it and found the wizard. He told me that I looked nothing like his apprentice and turned me into a fucking toad. I then realised I needed to go all the way back to the dressing room, and dress up like the wizard from the photograph in the dead costumier's briefcase, and then trail all the way back down past traps that you have to specifically click to acknowledge and avoid every time (this is more annoying than you think), and infinitely respawning skeletons, and then bluff him.

Frank West

kiwifarms.net
Played both Elviras and Waxworks but not Personal Nightmare.

Elvira 1 was fairly sensible because the only time you could really be dead-ended is if you used all your flame flowers on making Fire Sponge spells when you needed Glowing Pride to get one of the keys; the rest of the time most deaths are a result of errors in judgement or failing at combat (the combat system was pants, but if you cooked all the Cat and Dog Broth, Palmlight, Manticore Flip, Maiden's Turnover, Demon's Brew, and Sizzling Eggs you could spell-spam your way past all enemies including at least one of the bosses; I also have to admit I did find the culinary motif to the spells rather amusing.)

Elvira 2, though, yeah, I'll give you that. What's that, you turned the hairspray and both bottles of whiskey into fireballs? Should have saved them for the Nova spell, which you need to beat one of the bosses. Didn't grab the tape recorder in the studio offices? Oh no, now you can't cast Telekinesis which you need to retrieve the key from the producer's pocket while he's trapped in the spider cocoon. And you can only get back to the hub once you've solved the spider's level. Didn't grab the curling tongs from the dressing room and aren't high enough level to cast fireball at the thermostat, and you're locked in a cold room? Welcome to dead endsville. Also didn't Elvira 2 have several rooms that existed only to kill you if you walked in without warning you that this might be the case from the outside? That's an adventure game fuck you I can do without frankly.

I beat Elvira 1 and Waxworks but never Elvira 2. I just got fed up of navigating the fucking mazes full of infinitely respawning enemies. The exact point where I gave up was in the catacombs. I'd navigated down to the bottom of it and found the wizard. He told me that I looked nothing like his apprentice and turned me into a fucking toad. I then realised I needed to go all the way back to the dressing room, and dress up like the wizard from the photograph in the dead costumier's briefcase, and then trail all the way back down past traps that you have to specifically click to acknowledge and avoid every time (this is more annoying than you think), and infinitely respawning skeletons, and then bluff him.
Don't forget getting the wrong brain to use for the Turn Undead spell you need to escape the house AFTER getting out of the refrigerator.

And yea, I feel you about the catacombs level and that fucking wizard. I didn't have TOO much trouble with the enemies down there, since by the time I got there I had the rapier enchanted and blessed which let me one shot almost anything (and even more so once I got the broadsword).

Did you ever find the chainsaw or the power drill though? I think they were intended to be weapons, but for some reason you can't equip them as such.

Ginger Piglet

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Don't forget getting the wrong brain to use for the Turn Undead spell you need to escape the house AFTER getting out of the refrigerator.

And yea, I feel you about the catacombs level and that fucking wizard. I didn't have TOO much trouble with the enemies down there, since by the time I got there I had the rapier enchanted and blessed which let me one shot almost anything (and even more so once I got the broadsword).

Did you ever find the chainsaw or the power drill though? I think they were intended to be weapons, but for some reason you can't equip them as such.

I did find the chainsaw and lugged it around with me for bloody ages.

Oh yes, another dead end. You know how you need the telekinesis spell to get the key from the producer's corpse in the spider cocoon? Well, you also can use telekinesis to remove another key from the piranha tank, though the intended solution is to use the gauntlet. But if your level is low enough that you can only make one telekinesis spell from the tape recorder (it being the only object containing a magnet in the whole game), and you use it on the piranha tank first, you may be stuck.

Also, those fucking blade traps. There's no way of determining which alcoves in the catacombs have them, and it's luck based as to whether one will pop out and chop your hand off. Both hands chopped off? Oh dear, you're dead ended because the game won't let you pick things up with no hands but you can keep walking around.

Still, there's more dead end happy games out there. Codename: ICEMAN, anyone?