Games you should hate, but don’t -

Massively Strong Greed

Thanks for the money, dummy!
kiwifarms.net
Self-explanatory, we have a thread like this for movies, I’ll start.

Shadow the Hedgehog. Yes, it’s bad, but it’s so hilarious that I can’t hate it. Expert Mode also mitigates a good chunk of the problems with the game. If the game had a better story, better physics/controls, and the main story played out like Expert Mode, it would be okay.

Mega Man X6. The levels suck and there’s tons of bad game design, but the glitches are fun and it still feels like a Mega Man X game. I actually like the graphics too and there are good concepts in there.

Ganso Saiyuki: Super Monkey Daibouken. This is considered one of the worst games on the Famicom, and for good reason. But for me, it’s so fascinatingly bad that it’s enticing. I feel like it had to be made this bad on purpose. It’s also really easy to speedrun and some of the music is good.

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net
Death by Degrees.

It's basically the film Under Siege. The plot, as hinted at in the title, is bad guys want to use a satellite heat ray to melt the ice at the bottom of the ocean, filling the water with gasses causing all ships to sink due to lack of buoyancy or something like that.

By every measure it's a bad game. The controls are fucked. You attack and block by flicking the right stick in the direction of the enemy, you flick the left stick to dodge and move. Your expected to do complex combos with them, so it's basically random what will happen with any given input. The menus are slow, there's long, unskipable cutscenes (unless you're in New Game Plus) and it's generally bad all around.

But it's fascinating to me for several reasons. Not least of which is the combat system is basically Arkham Asylum before Arkham Asylum. If the controls weren't fucked, it might have started a trend. The special moves where you get an x-ray view as you punch a guy so hard his skull shatters into pieces are more satisfying than they have any right to be. Again, this idea was used in latter day Mortal Kombat games where it worked great.

Absolutego

Making dough but not enough to blow
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Self-explanatory, we have a thread like this for movies, I’ll start.

Shadow the Hedgehog. Yes, it’s bad, but it’s so hilarious that I can’t hate it. Expert Mode also mitigates a good chunk of the problems with the game. If the game had a better story, better physics/controls, and the main story played out like Expert Mode, it would be okay.

Mega Man X6. The levels suck and there’s tons of bad game design, but the glitches are fun and it still feels like a Mega Man X game. I actually like the graphics too and there are good concepts in there.

Ganso Saiyuki: Super Monkey Daibouken. This is considered one of the worst games on the Famicom, and for good reason. But for me, it’s so fascinatingly bad that it’s enticing. I feel like it had to be made this bad on purpose. It’s also really easy to speedrun and some of the music is good.
Watching Raycevik's video on it reminded me that, even though Need For Speed: Carbon is a confused mess of a game, I loved the territory control aspect of the main campaign, and the VW Golf was insanely overpowered if you maxed out tuning.

Milkis

New feeling of soda beverage
kiwifarms.net
It stopped being fun or immersive about 600 hours ago but I can't stop.
GIVE ME ALL THE FUCKING ACHIEVEMENTS JOHAN
Screenshot_2021-02-20_10-40-03.png

Prophetic Spirit

"I'm a sex symbol. You gotta deal with it!"
kiwifarms.net
True Crime New York City.
Game is utterly shit in near everything but i like the concept of having more freedom rather than Streets of LA.

Just Cause (the first one).
Game have a big map and nice caribbean feeling but too long; at least that wasn't a problem to me.

Need for Speed Undercover
Despise all their technical problems and rushing phase, i liked the game being a mix between Carbon and Most Wanted. Story is utterly crap thought.

Realplaya420

kiwifarms.net
The DS Zelda Games have a fuckton of issues and aren't very good compared to literally anything else in the franchise, but I still fucking love Spirit Tracks. I really like the soundtrack, story, and the artstyle with that sort of semi-steampunk aesthetic it has, plus it was one of the first games where Zelda actually had some personality. Phantom Hourglass I didn't care for at all though, which was unexpected because it was a direct sequel to Wind Waker which I also loved. I guess I'm judging Spirit Tracks more on story and art design than actual gameplay and mechanics. Tbh if you haven't played a Zelda Game, never start with the DS games. They have aged horribly and don't really hold up even compared to the N64 games which came out a decade earlier.

Absolutego

Making dough but not enough to blow
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It stopped being fun or immersive about 600 hours ago but I can't stop.
GIVE ME ALL THE FUCKING ACHIEVEMENTS JOHAN
View attachment 1936404
Is the Native American rework out yet? I wanna finally have a good game playing as the Salish, usually either Spain or Russia comes to stomp my shit.

JuanButNotForgotten

Friendly Mexican Ghost
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Two Worlds 2. Imagine Witcher 3. Now imagine it was made with a budget and human resources of first Witcher without a book series behind it. And somehow, despite it being so cheap looking and not very well made I fucking loved it. You can argue that maybe I was way more autistic when I was younger, but no, when I tried to play the first one years before second I'd uninstalled it after a couple of hours of playing, which I rarely do. Damn, I probably didn't have so much fun in Skyrim that I had there.

whatever I feel like

Disney Diaper Size Fetish Enthusiast
kiwifarms.net
Civ III has several systems which are fundamentally broken, features dumb as dirt AI that has to cheat to even be competitive, has an incredibly unfun pollution system, etc.

Its also by far the best one and I have thousands of hours logged.

Focken Kiwi

Nico nico nii bitches!
kiwifarms.net
Two Worlds 2. Imagine Witcher 3. Now imagine it was made with a budget and human resources of first Witcher without a book series behind it. And somehow, despite it being so cheap looking and not very well made I fucking loved it. You can argue that maybe I was way more autistic when I was younger, but no, when I tried to play the first one years before second I'd uninstalled it after a couple of hours of playing, which I rarely do. Damn, I probably didn't have so much fun in Skyrim that I had there.

I actually liked both Two Worlds and Two Worlds 2. They're like those horrible movies that are so awfully written, they're charming in a way despite how objectively bad they are.

BibiLivesMatter

Bibi doomed us all for his freedom with a beherit
kiwifarms.net
Dead by Daylight is one I can think on the top of my head at the moment. The community is toxic and the game is fucking shit mechanically and balance wise. But god damnit do I keep coming back to play it cause it's the only successful one that has a population of its kind right now after Friday 13th died to lawsuits and others that come to release just die out pretty fast cause people just go to dbd instead.

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
Genshin Impact - Chink gacha but its pretty well made and it took dozens of hours of gameplay for me to lose interest.

I want to put a lot of NISA games (especially the Knight and Witch games) but the writing usually makes up for the terrible gameplay.

Mimic

Squeak!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Mega Man X7. It has several issues, but I always find myself having fun.

Tuff E Nuff. Not great fighter on SNES, but something about it is fun to me. Plus once you beat it you are certifiably "Tuff E Nuff".

The Rushing Beat series (Rival Turf, Brawl Brothers, Peacekeepers). The US versions are even worse, but the JP versions aren't horrible. Hardly great, but not horrible.

Massively Strong Greed

Thanks for the money, dummy!
kiwifarms.net
Mega Man X7. It has several issues, but I always find myself having fun.

Tuff E Nuff. Not great fighter on SNES, but something about it is fun to me. Plus once you beat it you are certifiably "Tuff E Nuff".

The Rushing Beat series (Rival Turf, Brawl Brothers, Peacekeepers). The US versions are even worse, but the JP versions aren't horrible. Hardly great, but not horrible.
Once you get enough speed and damage upgrades X7 goes from painful to painfully mediocre.

RabidWombat

The Lone Marsupial of the Apocalypse
kiwifarms.net
Xenophage: Alien bloodsport

One of the worst fighting games of all time, but yet, I can almost always pick it up and have a good time with it. Hell, I was so invested I think I unlocked all the endings except with the two human characters (because NOT BEING ABLE TO BLOCK makes winning against the final boss something downright Herculean in difficulty).