Games you should hate, but don’t

B-17E Flying Fortress

kiwifarms.net
War Thunder. The game is a steaming hot pay to win garbage with a broken Battle Rating system, Lag and server issues, Game breaking bugs and Developers adding new expensive premium aircraft and tanks instead of bug-fixing. There aren't many games like this one though. So i wasted 700 hours of my lifetime playing the fuck out of this dumpster fire of a game.

Bluey

The Blue Heeler Neo Noir Enthusiast
kiwifarms.net
I kinda liked Green Dog for the Mega Drive. Weird and splipperly platformer, but fun.

Rescue Rangers 2 for the NES had a shitty plot and RNG bosses that took a decade, but it was fun.

Drag-on Knight 91873

"Listen man, it's complicated."
kiwifarms.net
Gonna have to choose 2 to 4 games for this thread.

Parasite Eve: The Third Birthday-I am well aware this game is the Metroid: Other M of Parasite Eve games and even if I didn't know about the earlier games, its bonkers story and bad characterizations made for a completely unfixable story. A lot of fights in the game itself tend to feel unfair like the boss fight in chapter 2 where the regular attack often stunlocked and took out most of your health if not kill you outright. Also sniping was absurdly difficult because the game amped up the first game's bullet hell mechanics (but not ATB gauge) to 11 with destructible cover, often to hit a tiny dot on an enemy that was way smaller than a human head.

BUT, the controls were very tight for a PSP game otherwise and sexy outfits and that really does keep me coming back for more.

Xenosaga 1: Very long cutscenes, lots of spotty voice-acting in those scenes, doll-like models (that got fixed in later games), clunky JRPG combat, but like Star Trek: TMP or 2001 which this game referenced, I adore the world building in this game. It's so pretentious that I wished the later games maintained this kind of dreary, sterile tone. I guess I'll lump in Xenosaga 3 here too which fixed some things, but made for an even more bizarre story that needed a planet-sized retcon due to how 2 ended.

FFVIII: Yeah, I know the Junction and leveling system were both poorly explained and oftentimes counterintuitive, the card game, which everyone cited as the best aspect of the game, had rules that spread like HIV, the plot was a mess that managed to become less interesting the further it goes, and you never felt like a merc or build a base while playing it, but it was the first FF I played, so I have an irrational fondness for this one.

Way of the Samurai 2: It's had weird GTA-pseudo fighting game mechanics where every attack looked like it's slowed down by molasses, it had 70s Hong Kong dubbed levels of acting from its actors, and once I learned how to parry consistently, dispatching hordes became trivial. Boss fights still had some difficulty since they knew to guard-break and I do find it fun to fuck around and kill with impunity even though there are other games that do it so much better.

JamusActimus

We wuz Centurion and shiet
kiwifarms.net
Dragon Quest 6 Remake.
Everyone online says it's a mediocre game compared to 5 but I really enjoyed 6.
The story is decent and the gameplay is quite nice.I loved the monster recruits too.

Just replayed the gameon emulator,with the speed up option , cheat to speed up the vocation points and to get the metal smile early it was really nice even all those years later.

Deadwaste

i hate the internet and in return it hates me
kiwifarms.net
last of us 2: not because i really like the game, it's just i dont hate the game. it's fine overall. story couldve been told better, abby couldve been fleshed out better, ending couldve been done better, but overall it was still a game that i was tolerable with.

Crazedking

kiwifarms.net
I like Dark Souls 2 better than 3 and never hated it as much as everyone else does.
Tried DS1 on PC but the PC port had god awful controls. Then i played DS2 and 3 and ive yet to see why people shit on DS2. TBH the whole series might as well just be DLC with graph upgrade all the same to me.

Dom Cruise

*Siiiiiiiiiip*
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
That 2018 Call of Cthulhu game.

I really didn't know what to expect going into it and pretty early on it was clear it was going to be "that kind of game" which was disappointing, but while it's very far from great I still felt like it delivered a good enough experience if you really like HP Lovecraft, it looked nice enough, the art direction was nice, the UI design was really nice looking and the story was interesting enough.

I wish that it was better, but it could have been a lot worse.

Death by Degrees.

It's basically the film Under Siege. The plot, as hinted at in the title, is bad guys want to use a satellite heat ray to melt the ice at the bottom of the ocean, filling the water with gasses causing all ships to sink due to lack of buoyancy or something like that.

By every measure it's a bad game. The controls are fucked. You attack and block by flicking the right stick in the direction of the enemy, you flick the left stick to dodge and move. Your expected to do complex combos with them, so it's basically random what will happen with any given input. The menus are slow, there's long, unskipable cutscenes (unless you're in New Game Plus) and it's generally bad all around.

But it's fascinating to me for several reasons. Not least of which is the combat system is basically Arkham Asylum before Arkham Asylum. If the controls weren't fucked, it might have started a trend. The special moves where you get an x-ray view as you punch a guy so hard his skull shatters into pieces are more satisfying than they have any right to be. Again, this idea was used in latter day Mortal Kombat games where it worked great.
Not to mention Nina looks really hot.

Judging by what I read around here, I should hate Breath of the Wild.

But I’m a retard, so I think it’s one of the best games ever made.
For what it's worth I think it’s one of the best games ever made too.

I can understand a lot of the criticisms, but still, it's an incredible game.

The DS Zelda Games have a fuckton of issues and aren't very good compared to literally anything else in the franchise, but I still fucking love Spirit Tracks. I really like the soundtrack, story, and the artstyle with that sort of semi-steampunk aesthetic it has, plus it was one of the first games where Zelda actually had some personality. Phantom Hourglass I didn't care for at all though, which was unexpected because it was a direct sequel to Wind Waker which I also loved. I guess I'm judging Spirit Tracks more on story and art design than actual gameplay and mechanics. Tbh if you haven't played a Zelda Game, never start with the DS games. They have aged horribly and don't really hold up even compared to the N64 games which came out a decade earlier.
I really wish the DS Zeldas would get some sort of remakes, it's badly needed.

wolfpac92

User Warned: Drive-by Trolling
kiwifarms.net
Tried DS1 on PC but the PC port had god awful controls. Then i played DS2 and 3 and ive yet to see why people shit on DS2. TBH the whole series might as well just be DLC with graph upgrade all the same to me.
Fromsoft ports their games to PC but you absolutely gotta use a controller for them. PC controls are unbearable for these games. It's far, far easier with a cheap 360 controller

Johan Hulth

kiwifarms.net
Dragon Age Inquisition. Yea it's got some serious fetch quest mmo bullshit, but it does a decent job of expanding on the awesome lore and world that Origins setup. Great environment art overall and the combat is totally fine on harder difficulties. I know it's every woke facebook mom's favourite rpg now, but its got enough good story and music to keep me coming back over the years. Still not holding out hope for DA4 though, it's just a slight bump on an otherwise total downward trajectory for Bioware.

Drag-on Knight 91873

"Listen man, it's complicated."
kiwifarms.net
last of us 2: not because i really like the game, it's just i dont hate the game. it's fine overall. story couldve been told better, abby couldve been fleshed out better, ending couldve been done better, but overall it was still a game that i was tolerable with.
I legit did not get the reeing players made with that game, but then also say that TLoU 1 was a masterpiece. When I watched Veeh play the first one, it did make me wonder if the first game was overrated since both games are generic cover stealth with limited ammo designed to disincentivize you from using guns. They're both good games or they're both bad games because the gameplay itself didn't change that much.

I was still entertained by people complaining about it though.

moocow

Moo.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Fallout 4. Yeah, it's a dumb game, but something about mixing a ton of drugs together at a workbench and then bashing shit to pieces with an oversized mallet is strangely stratifying.
The settlement building feature, especially with mods that add more building types (and that nifty mod that lets you set up "plots" for residents to claim, build on, live in, and upgrade over time, all automatically), was digital fucking crack for me. I couldn't get enough of it, and easily spent more time building settlements than I did playing the game "properly."

Focken Kiwi

Nico nico nii bitches!
kiwifarms.net
Fallout 4. Yeah, it's a dumb game, but something about mixing a ton of drugs together at a workbench and then bashing shit to pieces with an oversized mallet is strangely stratifying.
I won't lie, I did enjoy buying everything in Fallout 4 with purified water instead of caps. That Sheng Kawolski kid in Diamond City was onto something.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Brutal
kiwifarms.net
I should hate Picross. It's basically a numbers and logic game and I usually suck at those kinds of things. Not to mention it's all set up like one of those boring games you see in newspapers as opposed to your usual puzzle game which has more movement going on.

And yet it's like virtual crack. I adore completing puzzles and once I start it's difficult for me to stop.

Jeff_the_Thriller

He's going erver that cliff!
kiwifarms.net
I don’t care how much people hate Operation Anchorage or Mothership Zeta from Fallout 3. At least they’re not fucking Dead Money from Fallout New Vegas.
I really liked Dead Money. I was a brutal DLC where you were constantly scavenging supplies and everything was trying to murder you.

My cousin got me into Fallout 76. I got it for $8 at a used game store.

It's kind of bullshitty with encouraging microtransactions and grinding scrap but it's enjoyable and has an awesome friendly community.

It deservedly gets hate but it is fun when you get into it.

Dave.

We can’t expect god to do all the work
kiwifarms.net
I really liked Dead Money. I was a brutal DLC where you were constantly scavenging supplies and everything was trying to murder you.

My cousin got me into Fallout 76. I got it for $8 at a used game store.

It's kind of bullshitty with encouraging microtransactions and grinding scrap but it's enjoyable and has an awesome friendly community.

It deservedly gets hate but it is fun when you get into it.
The problem with Dead Money, at least for me, was the wasted potential. It was clearly trying to be a horror style DLC which would've been sick for Fallout New Vegas. The problem is as long as you had Dog, the ghost people were a joke. They still are a joke because the dismemberment in this game is pretty frivolous and goofy, so dismembering ghost people was too easy. Story itself also had a really disappointing pay off. I get the fact that the elder was supposed to be crazy insane, but that being why he did what he did in Dead Money and none of his motivations made any logical sense just kind of deflated any kind of suspense I had. I usually play on hardcore mode too and all of the 'tension' mechanics like the collar and clouds went from tense to being annoying and repetitive because it made levels kind of a slog. Didn't also help ammo was sparse and I ran a guns build on my character meaning melee weapons was all I had and it pissed me off. In general Dead Money was a DLC that made me angry and disappointed.