Games you should hate, but don’t

Deus Ex Macarena

Lift Off For Love
kiwifarms.net
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City

It's jank, has wonky mechanics, forgot the Horror and Survival in "Survival Horror", and the second half of the campaign sucks dick. But goddammit do I keep finding myself playing it all the time.

The Fair Lady

Blind spider waifu
kiwifarms.net
Mass Effect Andromeda. Yes, it was rushed to hell and back, ended up being extremely lackluster in every way and had a bunch of unintentionally hilarious moments, but it wasn't an unbearable experience for me. Does it hold a candle to the original trilogy? Hell no. Is pretty much all of the criticism against it valid? Definitely. But on its own, I honestly think it's a decent game. Not great, just passable. I can't see myself playing it again though.

Last edited:

get_ur_gamon

All your cats are belong to us
kiwifarms.net
Hearts of Iron 4. Shitty optimisation for base game; it almost always runs like ass. No effort to teach player mechanics of game. Tutorial is both too difficult for newcomers and doesn't explain deeper mechanics. You have to sit through hours of youtube guides to figure out what the fuck is going on. Bullshit rules which make you lose hours of progress because some minor nation joins the allies which puts you at war with all of them. Multiplayer takes ungodly amounts of time, and still crashes and desincs every 40 mins. The Hoi4 community has a way higher concentration of wierdos than any other game except maybe sonic. But god damn, somehow I forget that my game is running at 20 fps by 1943 and I just play the game.

Spunt

A Leading Source of Experimental Internet Gas
kiwifarms.net
It's surprisingly hard to think of games I should hate but really like, mostly these things tend to be the other way around. There's loads of games that should be 100% my thing but I couldn't stand for one reason or another. But there are a couple:

Others have already mentioned Fallout 4. I think a lot of the hate for it is that it's not a proper Fallout game and it isn't, but if you take it as you find it as a gaming experience it's really good fun, especially with Survival Mode and a load of mods. With the right settlement building and crafting mods, as well as Survival Mode, it becomes a really engaging survival/crafting game way better than any of the purpose-built survival/crafting games that are all over Steam. Just ignore the main quest, it's really dumb.

Craft The World is a weird little mashup of Terraria and Dwarf Fortress made by an obscure Russian dev team. It's spectacularly derivative and the AI governing your little Dorfs is utterly fucking braindead, but damn if it isn't hours and hours of chill, slow-paced fun.

L50LasPak

We have all the time in the world.
Forum Staff
⚡ Thunderdomer ⚡
💬 Off-Topic Mod 💬
kiwifarms.net
I still really like Spec Ops the Line and find its story compelling. I've actually played through the game a couple of times now to explore all of the environments, listen to all of the dialogue and examine every little detail there is. I think there's a lot more to the story than just the white phosphorous scene that everyone knows. People took the game's attempt to make the player feel evil way too literally; the story makes much more sense if you lean back and detach yourself from it. Also people took shit the writers had to say about it afterwards too literally as well; the game had five writers and all of them seem to contradict each other.

I see the game pop up in conversations as having aged badly or just been a fad or something. I'm normally the one to get disenchanted with a gimmick really quickly, so the fact that I still think the game is interesting is certainly out of the ordinary.

JamesFargo

Yeah, I'm trad: Terribly Retarded And Dumb
kiwifarms.net
Yes, the plot twist and overall style was incredibly dumb,
You can have Super Joe being the villain, or you can have Rad carrying his wife's brain in his arm. Pick one.

Both at once? There's no logic behind these retcons. It leaves old-timers pissed off and the newcomers laughing. Which is too bad, that finale is incredible.

mr.moon1488

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Certainly doesn't count now that they fixed it, but I didn't really dislike No Man's Sky even when it came out.

JamesFargo

Yeah, I'm trad: Terribly Retarded And Dumb
kiwifarms.net
I skipped True Crime: Streets of L.A. due to the bad buzz around it. I did pick up Streets of NYC and enjoyed it. Graphics and controls are good for the time. Your boss is Olivia from SVU.

My favorite feature is the crime meter, which turns streets into slums when it gets out of hand: you see boarded up windows and trash blowing everywhere.

Shooting levels are the drizzling shits. I hate these indoor sections. They spoil an otherwise okay GTA clone.

Ruin

Mercenary Slut
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The problem with Dead Money, at least for me, was the wasted potential. It was clearly trying to be a horror style DLC which would've been sick for Fallout New Vegas. The problem is as long as you had Dog, the ghost people were a joke. They still are a joke because the dismemberment in this game is pretty frivolous and goofy, so dismembering ghost people was too easy. Story itself also had a really disappointing pay off. I get the fact that the elder was supposed to be crazy insane, but that being why he did what he did in Dead Money and none of his motivations made any logical sense just kind of deflated any kind of suspense I had. I usually play on hardcore mode too and all of the 'tension' mechanics like the collar and clouds went from tense to being annoying and repetitive because it made levels kind of a slog. Didn't also help ammo was sparse and I ran a guns build on my character meaning melee weapons was all I had and it pissed me off. In general Dead Money was a DLC that made me angry and disappointed.
Bloody mess perk trivializes Dead Money. It's a 100% dismemberment chance so they die instantly.

Leonard Helplessness

kiwifarms.net
Fallout 4. Yeah, it's a dumb game, but something about mixing a ton of drugs together at a workbench and then bashing shit to pieces with an oversized mallet is strangely stratifying.
Fallout 4's writing is strange because it varies so wildly from one scene to the next, in the side quests as well as the main quests. When the writing is good, it's memorable as fuck; when it's bad it's just so dull and unmemorable that it fades into the background. There were little sparks of genius, like Dogmeat's introduction getting turned on its head -- when you reach the Minutemen safehold, you discover that they were the ones who sent Dogmeat to fetch some help, and he found you and led you to them, where you cut a swath of death through the besieging raiders. Dogmeat was a good fucking dog.

There were other tiny flashes of brilliance in that game's writing, too, like turning Kellogg into a sympathetic character: A good man who was put on a bad path starting at a very early age, dooming him to a life where everybody he knew and loved would eventually die or betray him -- up to and including Shaun. But it was always just sparks of good writing, never anything steady. Still, I love the game for those good parts, even though the whole is so dull.

Overcast

Buttmunch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I somewhat like Sonic 06, the level design is pretty alright in a lot of levels, the 06 project shows that the game could have been much more with more time in development
I've grown to ironically love the game myself. For me, it was such a huge disaster on so many levels and is absolutely fascinating to pick apart and analyze.

It's kinda funny, looking back if that game came out nowadays, it quickly would have been forgotten as so many high profile games nowadays seem to come out in similarly unpolished and bad states. Truly the game was ahead of its time.

StevieLasVegas

kiwifarms.net
Dragon Age 2. Felt it was a better sequel than Inquisition.

• 2 & 3 may have had similar controls, but 2 still felt like the first game. Hated how with 3 if I had a party member attack someone out of range, they would bitch about being out of range. 1 & 2 had enough sense to make the member get in range for the attack/spell
  • I know people didn't like the story, but I dug it. Made it feel like despite what was happening occurring in a single city, it was intended to be a tipping point for Thedas as a whole as hinted with Varric's interrogation scenes with Cassandra.
  • While you had special subclasses you leveled towards, each of your party members had a unique, specialized version of the subclasses. Fuck Inquisition for getting rid of this.
  • No retarded hard cap on how many potions/bomb/traps you could carry like in Inquisition
  • The side quests were memorable. Like the murder mystery that leads to your mother becoming one of the victims, saving the spell caster qunari only for him to set himself ablaze out of honor to the Qun, and all of the party members' personal missions.
  • Hawke felt more like a character themselves than the oddly blank slate the Inquistor was.

Neurotypical Mantis

The demonstration is over!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
i honestly had a ton of fun playing pokemon swsh
the main plot is so boring and awful but the postgame plot takes it to "so bad it's lovable" in a way. it's also fun to watch a mostly sensible character trapped in a game with horrible writing

Mnutu

kiwifarms.net
Dragon Age 2. Felt it was a better sequel than Inquisition.

• 2 & 3 may have had similar controls, but 2 still felt like the first game. Hated how with 3 if I had a party member attack someone out of range, they would bitch about being out of range. 1 & 2 had enough sense to make the member get in range for the attack/spell
  • I know people didn't like the story, but I dug it. Made it feel like despite what was happening occurring in a single city, it was intended to be a tipping point for Thedas as a whole as hinted with Varric's interrogation scenes with Cassandra.
  • While you had special subclasses you leveled towards, each of your party members had a unique, specialized version of the subclasses. Fuck Inquisition for getting rid of this.
  • No retarded hard cap on how many potions/bomb/traps you could carry like in Inquisition
  • The side quests were memorable. Like the murder mystery that leads to your mother becoming one of the victims, saving the spell caster qunari only for him to set himself ablaze out of honor to the Qun, and all of the party members' personal missions.
  • Hawke felt more like a character themselves than the oddly blank slate the Inquistor was.
Just got to 2 on my replay of the series, it’s by far my favorite of the series. All the characters are interesting and likable, with Anders being the only obnoxious one (rather than it being half of them in Origins). Even Carver fucked off after Act 1 and became much more tolerable. Anders himself was surprisingly more self-aware than I remembered, and the game even makes fun of him for how self-righteous he is. Fenris was the one character I thought I’d hate, but he was more laid back than I remembered.

Estate

Khazar milkers inspector
kiwifarms.net
Bound by Flame.
Game is without a doubt bad, but it has really great and unique moments, that make it memorable.
Like finding diamonds in the dumpster.
Also, it has one of the greatest OST i've encountered.
1.jpg