Games you should hate, but don’t

Product Placement

kiwifarms.net
Knack 1 , I thought it was a fine 6/10 game, really don't get all the hate it got when it came out, yeah it's not amazing but it's not nearly as shit as some people made it out to be.

RE6, I found this to be the best playing game in the series, issue is the level design does not work for it at all, and really lets the story modes down along with the shit for even RE story. Mercenaries on the other hand is really fun with it more open levels.

Quintex96

kiwifarms.net
I still really like Spec Ops the Line and find its story compelling. I've actually played through the game a couple of times now to explore all of the environments, listen to all of the dialogue and examine every little detail there is. I think there's a lot more to the story than just the white phosphorous scene that everyone knows. People took the game's attempt to make the player feel evil way too literally; the story makes much more sense if you lean back and detach yourself from it. Also people took shit the writers had to say about it afterwards too literally as well; the game had five writers and all of them seem to contradict each other.

I see the game pop up in conversations as having aged badly or just been a fad or something. I'm normally the one to get disenchanted with a gimmick really quickly, so the fact that I still think the game is interesting is certainly out of the ordinary.
I still think it's the best representation of combat fucking you up ever shown in game. The Walker goes from 'Take him down' to "I WANT THAT FUCKER DEAD" is so gradual that i never even realized until someone else pointed it out. also the halucination segemnts towards the end such as the heavy in the mall and seeing Lugo caught me off guard the first time I played. I thinks it's a very well done game.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Brutal
kiwifarms.net
It's kinda funny, looking back if that game came out nowadays, it quickly would have been forgotten as so many high profile games nowadays seem to come out in similarly unpolished and bad states. Truly the game was ahead of its time.
If it came out today, the absurdly long loading times wouldn't have been a point of contention, not when most games nowadays take way fucking longer to load.

Bitcoin Henchman

Hand wringing is my daily workout
kiwifarms.net
Smite, A trash moba with garbage balancing and incompetent devs but for some reason I like playing it

Dom Cruise

*Siiiiiiiiiip*
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I guess For Honor would count?

I'm terrible at it (I'm terrible at all online games) and it's packed with microtransactions but it looks really cool and has a really cool theme.

Disc

A bucket is technically a type of disc
kiwifarms.net
I like Dark Souls 2 better than 3 and never hated it as much as everyone else does.
DS2 Seems to be in a FF7/FF8 kinda situation, where people tend to like one significantly over the other, and there's one large A group and a smaller but still determined B group.

I legit did not get the reeing players made with that game, but then also say that TLoU 1 was a masterpiece. When I watched Veeh play the first one, it did make me wonder if the first game was overrated since both games are generic cover stealth with limited ammo designed to disincentivize you from using guns. They're both good games or they're both bad games because the gameplay itself didn't change that much.

I was still entertained by people complaining about it though.
It's more the story, from my understanding. Particularly, how the second game expects you to watch someone beat one of the two protagonists of the last game to death before having the story that explains why she hates him so much, and a good bit of idiot ball to go around too.

Personally, I tend to hate stealth sections, so I've touched neither game nor ever intend to.

As for the topic of the thread, there's an Over The Hedge beat-em-up movie tie in game for Gamecube that's surprisingly fun.

Drag-on Knight 91873

"Listen man, it's complicated."
kiwifarms.net
It's more the story, from my understanding. Particularly, how the second game expects you to watch someone beat one of the two protagonists of the last game to death before having the story that explains why she hates him so much, and a good bit of idiot ball to go around too.

Personally, I tend to hate stealth sections, so I've touched neither game nor ever intend to.

As for the topic of the thread, there's an Over The Hedge beat-em-up movie tie in game for Gamecube that's surprisingly fun.
Yeah, watching people shit on the story was very entertaining. Not quite as funny as Star Wars-level griefing, but definitely better than Synder-verse griefing. It also leads me to think (and I do this too sometimes) how vastly overrated story is in games. It's probably because there's a set of axioms to criticizing stories already such as man v. man, plot, theme and so on. Criticizing games as games is much more opaque. Sometimes it's about how the controls feel or about the physics of a game or the enemy AI and sight-lines. The experience is so much more subjective than with stories and it's hard to explain why something in a game doesn't work.
RE6, I found this to be the best playing game in the series, issue is the level design does not work for it at all, and really lets the story modes down along with the shit for even RE story. Mercenaries on the other hand is really fun with it more open levels.
After trying to play RE2 Remake, I came to the conclusion that I really like the bad RE generation of 4-6 and Revelations series. Good aim in bad RE games was rewarded with a free chance to knock down a group of enemies, so even the pistol was a viable choice against a horde. Mercenaries really incentivized the shoot-melee-follow up feedback loop with getting more time and higher scores. 6 in particular really wants you to learn how to counter and set up coup de grace efficiently and gives you resources necessary to practice. I play RE2 remake, and I'm effectively playing a stealth game in tight corridors. The game doesn't really want you to shoot enemies and it expects you to speed run to objective points to manage limited item space.

Battlecruiser3000ad

greetings frum the hive i hate gays
kiwifarms.net
Bound by Flame.
Game is without a doubt bad, but it has really great and unique moments, that make it memorable.
Like finding diamonds in the dumpster.
Also, it has one of the greatest OST i've encountered.
View attachment 2089150

For me, Mars: War Logs, the previous game of these guys. It's clunky and rough and all that, but I just really enjoyed it. It was nice then seeing them improving in Bound by Flame, and again in Technomancer (which I honestly loved, as it was Mars 2 just bigger and better). Haven't tried their latest yet.

Intelligent Calcium

Humble Fantabulist
kiwifarms.net
Opinions on this game vary heavily depending on where you ask, but I recently played Sonic Adventure for the first time and had a good time. My only real problem is that sometimes the story triggers can be annoying to find, even with the hint system. Played the Steam version with the Dreamcast mod, for reference.

JamesFargo

Yeah, I'm trad: Terribly Retarded And Dumb
kiwifarms.net
I've grown to ironically love the game myself. For me, it was such a huge disaster on so many levels and is absolutely fascinating to pick apart and analyze
It's darkly funny to see Sega bend their mascot over a chair and run a train on him. Sonic Adventure 1 wasn't perfect, but '06 made it look like Half-Life 2.

Then you have Iizuka whose solution to every problem is a different colored hedgehog.

Last edited:

JamesFargo

Yeah, I'm trad: Terribly Retarded And Dumb
kiwifarms.net
Opinions on this game vary heavily depending on where you ask, but I recently played Sonic Adventure for the first time and had a good time.
The bottomless pits are a problem, but somewhat overstated. The game is pretty easy and cheap deaths are uncommon.

For my money, SA2 holds up a lot worse, because you only play as Sonic a third of the time. And Heroes outstays its welcome very quickly. Now I have to play each level four times? Eat me.

Massively Strong Greed

Thanks for the money, dummy!
kiwifarms.net
Forgot a game, Awesome Possum...Kicks Dr. Machino’s Butt. The terrible framerate doesn’t bother me too much, I find the insane preachiness funny, and the physics/controls actually do an okay job of mimicking classic Sonic.

Snakebottom

kiwifarms.net
I hate zombie media due to the over saturation of it. I find open world games with stealth and crafting to be the most cookie cutter of genres. Yet I am fucking absolutely loving Days Gone since picking it up for free on PS Plus, more than is reasonable. It is absolutely fantastic, I can’t think of a time I’ve been so invested in a game. Even RDR2 got too dull and repetitive for me towards the end. This just keeps delivering.

StevieLasVegas

kiwifarms.net
Mega Man X6 - lots of complaints that the game was rushed and was one of the worst in the series - I still find it enjoyable and find most of the boss battles interesting. (In some ways, Mega Man X5 seems more rushed and unfinished).
Yeah, there's a lot of frustrating shit in X6 (the compactor section in Metal Shark Player's stage, the respawning mantis bots in Commander Yanmark's stage, all of the rings in Blaze Heatnix's stage), but overall it is still a fun game. Still hate the negative stage effects as you beat bosses though. If it was more like X1 where it changed aspects of stages to the benefit of the player, it would have been way better.

Gravemind

Not your grave, but you are welcome in it
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Diablo 3 is a game I've gone full circle on because I played through it on initial release and absolutely hated it, heard all the fuckups Blizzard was doing with it over the years and felt contented in my schadenfreude, then an IRL friend lowkey shilled the game to me in one of its more post-RoS incarnations, which I had my misgivings about. Then, a few years after that, another IRL friend twisted my arm into doing some couch co-op with him on the Xbox One version of the game, so I ended up grabbing the Switch port and enjoying it far more than I thought I would've.

The story and lore changes/additions are still absolute garbage, but Crusader was fun to play and it did a serviceable job of being a hack-n-slash looter that I could just turn my brain off and enjoy for hours on end. Overly simplified as it is, it still managed to scratch an itch for me.

albert the programmer

Programming and fixing up computers in 2022
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Scarface: The World Is Yours

I sometimes get awry when video game developers decide to make video games based on movies (see The Sopranos), but for this one, this doesn’t look too bad.

It also makes the game more accessible to people that haven’t seen, or remember, the movie that well.